Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Misheard Lyrics

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I suppose that a misheard lyric is not technically a nitpick, and that it is actually the listener's failure to listen, but the very fact that someone can mis-hear them makes the singer's abilities come into question, and therefore nitpickable, and anyway, I deem them worthy of mentioning in this forum, so there!!

Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)
I've always heard no dog star has'em[/b] in the classroom, but the correct lyrics is no dark sarcasm in the classroom.

And, of course, one of my favorite misheard lyric interpretations -
http://www.rathergood.com/chicken/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 01:20:22 PM by Giff me dat fill-em! »
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
The song Guantanamera is usually misheard as "one-ton tomato" ... but I always hear it as "one-ton of Malox".

Pilsner Panther

The song Guantanamera is usually misheard as "one-ton tomato" ... but I always hear it as "one-ton of Malox".

Which is probably what your customers need after they eat at your restaurant!

Just funnin,' Giff, but I couldn't resist.

>:D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 12:49:58 AM by Pilsner Panther »

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
No offense taken, Pilsner, since you also pointed out my spelling error for the "Maalox".

However ... have you ever imagined other lyrics than the "One-Ton-a-etc" original lyrics seem to say, or have you ALWAYS heard the original  Guantanamera?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 02:02:16 AM by Giff me dat fill-em! »

Pilsner Panther

No offense taken, Pilsner, since you also pointed out my spelling error for the "Maalox".

However ... have you ever imagined other lyrics than the "One-Ton-a-etc" original lyrics seem to say, or have you ALWAYS heard the original  Guantanamera?

Well, no, it always did sound like "Guantanamera" and nothing else, but I come from a family that's always had a sharp ear for diction. A musical family, too, although you'd never guess that from Pilsner's Picks.

I hate to admit this, but my mother was a member of the infamous Harry Simeon Chorale ("The Little Drummer Boy"). Whenever I manage to get through a holiday season with out hearing that piece of merde, I consider it a good one.

But then, Mom didn't like my washboard jazz, either.

Pa-rumpa-pum-pum.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 04:23:12 AM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Don't forget the most famous misheard lyric, from Jimi's Purple Haze:

Actual lyric: Excuse me, while I kiss the sky

Misheard as: Excuse me, while I kiss this guy

Or one of my favorites, from the Manfred Mann version of Blinded By The Light:

Actual lyric: Revved up like Deuce, another runner in the night

Misheard as: Wrapped up like a douche, another runner in the night
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Perhaps this should be on an AC/DC site, but does anyone know the correct lyric from the song 'Gone Shootin' off the Powerage album?

Is it 'Packed her heart in a travelin' bag', or 'Fought so hard in a travelin' band and never said bye-bye'?

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
This isn't an actual misheard lyric, but every time I hear Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison, I ALWAYS mentally put in
Oh, pudgy woman ... walkin' down the street

Remember The Time - Micheal Jackson
I've always heard
Do you remember the time
Weebles fell in love?

when more-than-likely the correct lyrics are
Do you remember the time
We both fell in love?

I like the misheard version better ... what cuter song IS there than thinking of Weeble love?

(I suppose I could just as easily hear We bulls fell in love, but bovine romance is not something I want to hear musically expressed.)

Pilsner Panther

Maybe "Weebles" was his pet name for all those little boys who used to hang out at Neverland Ranch...

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Maybe "Weebles" was his pet name for all those little boys who used to hang out at Neverland Ranch...

Weebles wobble, and they might go down

Offline Shemoeley Fine

As my annual visit to my homeland of Cuba continues for another 10 days or so I was reminded that there's little doubt that the lyrics of the Kingsmen version of Louie, Louie has been the most misheard lyrics of all time at it was so misunderstood that it launched an FBI probe into the lyrics circa 1963 when it was released. The reason that being  in Cuba reminded me of it is that Louie, Louie is based on a  Cuban cha cha chá. In 1956, Richard Berry, an L A RnB vocal harmony group legend was backstage at a dance that began with a Los Angeles cover band and their version of El Loca Cha, a big hit on Spanish L A radio and clubs. It was originally recorded by Cuban pianist-composer-arranger René Touzet who lived in LA but on a trip to Cuba heard a Havana hit titled Amarra El Loco(Tie Down the Crazy One) and when he returned to LA, gave it a new arrangement for a big band, renamed it and came up with the vamp, dum dum duu,. dum dum, duum dum duum duum duum which is the hook that Richard Berry heard performed by the cover band and was drawn to write a calypso, R N B style that he recorded as Louie, Louie with his group the Pharoahs and it was a minor hit in LA.  In 1962  Paul Revere & The Raiders recored a cover of it and nothing happened but then a few months later The Kingsmen did their take on it, the day of the recording their lead singer was at the dentist's office that morning before their studio date, the band recorded the song live and the singer who had trouble with diction because his mouth was sore was also forced to sing into a mic high abover his head resulting in the initelligible lyrics that had kids all over the country imagining conspiracies, assansination plots, sex crazed lyrics and everything but the actual lyrics. the song was banned on stations across the nation and it got so out of hand the FBI looked into the scandal.  There is a book detailing the incident written by Rock N Roll Confidential amd I assisted them as I supplied  the original Cuban version that began the whole process.......

From Santiago de Cuba on the Eastern end nestled between Haiti and Jamaica........  it's Shemoeley Fine....

in turned had taked a song he hear
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Shemoeley,
That was a most scintilating and informative backdrop to the "All-Time Misheard Lyrics'" that you referred to ... and even though some of us here are familiar with the incident you spoke of, PLEASE give us your take on the misheard version of the lyrics vs. the real lyrics ...? i.e., post the "real" vs. the "misheard"  ...

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Ever since I first heard this song (WAY back a long time ago) Fun, Fun, Fun[/b] by the Beach Boys, I've ALWAYS heard ...

And she'll have fun, fun, fun
'Til her daddy takes the teether away

instead of the correct takes the t-bird away ...
I dunno why, I just hear it that way.
I suppose she's 18 months old and just teethed her incisors, so she celebrates by taking daddy's car out for a spin ... ?

Offline Shemoeley Fine

How serendipitous, twice during my current stay in Cuba I have seen posts with connections to my homeland. The first one which I already replied to dealt with misheard lyrics, Giff, when I return to So Cal the last week in January I'll post some of the misheard lyrics to Louie, Louie per your request as I don't have my archives with me.

The second one is Guantanamera which along with The Peanut Vendor(El Manisero) are the 2 most recorded and well known Cuban songs around the world. Guantanamera means "girl-lady from Guantánamo, the Cuba's easternmost city and who's port is held captive by the USA using it a Navy base as a result of a 100 plus year lease it manipulating in getting after the Spanish-American War and granted Cuba it's pseudo-independence. The base is now being used as POW camp for Afgahn and Iraqi prisoners.

In the 1930's and '40's La Guantanamera was heard on Cuban radio every day as it's melody made it easy for writers to come up with verses of the daily news items and have them sung to the tune of Guantanamera...  It's singer and melody creator was Joseíto Fernández who lived untill the 1990's and after 1959 would write lyrics praising the Cuban Revolution while still using the original music.  In the early 1960's during the folk craze Pete Seeger took the music and added the prose of Cuban poet and freedom fighter José Martí which at the end he translates. It is estimated that there are over 1,000 recordings of Guantanamera in every concievable genre, plus it is a staple of all groups in Cuba that sing for the tourists.  The beauty of the melody is that it lends itslef to vocal and musical improvisation.

I am not sure I'll acess to the internet for the remainder of my stay as I don't have a laptop and internet acess in Cuba is restricted......

S  F
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
This one is only due to a websearch telling me this IS the actual lyric ...
The ELO song Don't Bring Me Down contains the chorus:

Don't bring me down, grroosss

But I SWEAR everytime the song is aired, I hear ...
Don't bring me down, Bruce ...

Dog Hambone

Who could ever forget John Fogarty of Creedence Clearwater Revival who sang "there's a bad moon on the rise" as though it was "there's a bathroom on the right". It still sounds that way today. 

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Besides, if I were standing behind you as you were getting up off the toilet, would that be a "bad moon rising"?

Offline Wild Hyacinth

• Jack of all trades,Master of none.
  • Grapehead
   Don't know if anyone remembers Martha Davis and the "Motels" ? But they had a song in the eighties called "Only the lonely" A line in the chorus is  Only the lonely can play.   For the longest time I thought she sang. Only the lonely get laid .Still to this day when I here the song it still sounds like the other lyirc.

Offline SugarBee19

The sappy Paul Anka song, Havin' My Baby -

My sister thought he sang:  "Have a Nut Baby"!

Offline Braling II

New here on this board.
Great site, fellas!
The only nitpick I have is with the "goofs" listed for "Women Haters".
The reviewer (?) in listing an error by Miss White says Larry is singing "...and when I'm finished with my grooming...". Actually, that's "CROONING", not "grooming", ya knucklehead! Otherwise, great stuff. I just watched that (and others) with my grandkids. Passing the Stooge Baton on to future generations, as it were...

jka12002

One misheard lyric i used to remember was from Enter Sandman, the real lyric is "Exit Light, Enter Night."
I used to sing it as "Extra Lite, Its All Right."  :P No wonder people gave me funny looks.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here's one I still mishear if I'm not listening closely, from Movin' Out by Billy Joel:

Real lyric: And if he can't drive with a broken back, at least he can polish the fenders

Misheard as: Nigger can't drive a broken back...
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

We all know Hendrix is really saying in "Purple Haze," " 'scuse me, while I kiss this guy."
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

Wow! This thread is awesome! Nice thread resurrection, jka12002! Never recalled seeing this before.

There's soooo many lyrics I've misheard, but one weird one was from UB40's song "Higher Ground."

Actual lyrics:
The less I know, the more I want to look around
Digging deep for clues on higher ground.

Misheard lyrics:
The less I know, the more I want to look around
Digga digga for those higher ground.

Weird, I know. But I was like 10 years old when I first heard the song and I always misheard things when I was a kid. Even with the stooges. I remember when I first watched "A Bird In The Head" when I was 7. When Curly says, "Have you got a permit from the OPA," I misheard it as: Have you got an appointment for the obey!  :laugh: