Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Sylvia's Mother - Dr. Hook

A few observations on this tune ...
First, we can assume that the snubbed boyfriend has deposited an initial 40 cents to be speaking to Sylvia's mother in the first place. Also, the boyfriend is far enough away to have to call long distance.

Sylvia's mother says Sylvia's busy, too busy to come to the phone
Sylvia's mother says Sylvia's tryin'to start a new life of her own
Sylvia's mother says Sylvia's happy so why don't you leave her alone
And the operator says forty cents more for the next three minutes

So far, the phone call is up to 80 cents and has lasted at least 6 minutes.

(Chorus)
Please Mrs. Avery I just gotta talk to her, I'll only keep her awhile
Please Mrs. Avery I just wanna tell her goodbye

Sylvia's mother says Sylvia's packin', she's gonna be leavin' today
Sylvia's mother says Sylvia's marryin' a fellow down Galveston way
Sylvia's mother says please don't say nothin' to make her start crying and stay

Now our phone call has lasted 9 minutes and is up to $1.20 ... also, it appears that Sylvia's mother is going to allow the boyfriend to speak directly to Sylvia, but we never get to hear that conversation.

(Chorus)

Sylvia's mother says Sylvia's hurryin, she's catchin' the nine o'clock train
Sylvia's mother says take your umbrella 'cause Sylvie, it's startin' to rain
And Sylvia's mother says thank you for callin' and sir, won't you call back again

(Chorus)

Now, the phone call has lasted 12 minutes and has totaled $1.60 ... this works out to 13 1/3 cents per minute. If he'd had called nowadays, the only way he'd get that rate is to use one of those pre-paid phone cards. Also, we just aren't told WHERE Sylvia is going now! Whether she spoke to the boyfriend and is going back to him, or whether she has told him a final goodbye and left for Galveston.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
1. Boogie On Reggae Woman - Stevie Wonder
Maybe Pilsner can answer this one ... Why would Stevie tell a reggae woman to "boogie on"?

2. Why do they call the words to a song the “lyrics” anyway? I think that is a nitpick in itself. Every song I’ve ever heard didn’t have a lyre as it’s accompanying instrument … why don’t they call them “guitarics” or “keyboardics”?

3. Devil With a Blue Dress On /Good Golly Miss Molly - Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Lyrics
... the song insists that the Devil will wear a blue dress ... why? Is there some satanical quality to the color blue? ... OR, is blue a pacifying color, and therefore needful for the Devil to wear? ... (in order to subdue the veiwers of the blue dress) ... or is the Devil a transvestite?

4. Someone Saved My Life Tonight  - Elton John
It's four o'clock in the morning, dammit
Listen to me good
I'm sleeping with myself tonight
Saved in time
Thank God my music's still alive

Now the puzzle is:
If it's 4 am, does he mean "I'm spending the rest of the hours 'til daylight sleeping by myself" or does he mean "I'm going to sleep by myself when it becomes late evening today, since it's already 4 am."?

5. In the song "Do Wah Diddy" by Manfred Mann, the lyrics go "we walked on to my door, then we kissed a little more", but  I always heard ... "And then we kissed a little Moe ..."  This always confused me, and it finally dawned on me - "I shall call him, Mini Moe", you lunkheads!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 07:51:49 PM by Giff me dat fill-em! »

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Giff wrote <<<< Devil With a Blue Dress On /Good Golly Miss Molly - Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Lyrics >>>>

Just in case you didn't know, both of the songs in this medley are covers, the original Devil was by Shorty Long a few years earlier for the Stax label and most folks know that Good Golly was by Little Richard Penniman in the '50's.

This continued the pattern of white artists covering original material by black artists, a common practice from the 1930's thru the 70's, sadly the original artist is often unknown and under paid while the white artist always did better financially.

Blues and rhythm had a baby, Rock n Roll, a new name for an old style. Rock n Roll individually and collectively is found in Black music dating back to the mid-1920's.

Louis Jordan, Ike Turner, T-Bone Walker are among the true founders of rock n roll, not Bill Haley, Elvis, Chuck Berry etc

Alan Freed coined the term rock n roll while he was a dee jay in Cleveland by listening to R n B songs hence why the so-called Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland

S F

Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Thanks for the info on the original artist of that tune, Shmoeley. Cover songs are a subject all to themselves. Read some of Shemps#1 "Music That Sucks" entries, such as Micheal Bolton to see how cover songs can be treated by "the white artists" as you call them.

But let's move on to fresh nit-wits ... I mean ... nitpicks.
These two entries are from Bob Dylan's album Blood on the Tracks.

Tangled Up in Blue
And everyone of them words rang true
And glowed like burning coal

I know this is REALLY nitpickish, but a coal doesn't GLOW until the BURNING part is over ...

Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
Rosemary started drinking hard
And seeing her reflection in the knife
She was tired of the attention
Tired of playing the role of Big Jim's wife

No one knew the circumstance
But they say that it happened pretty quick
The door to the dressing room burst open
And a Colt revolver clicked

The next day was Hanging Day
The sky was overcast and black
Big Jim lay covered up
Killed by a penknife in the back

The only person there missing was the Jack of Hearts

Now, the "scratch yer head" quandary is this: HOW did Big Jim die? A gunshot or a knife wound? I know the song says "killed by a penknife in the back" ... but the confusing part is the "Colt Revolver" verse. I also have trouble believing that being stabbed in the back with a penknife can be fatal, yet, I suppose if you chose the correct spot, maybe you could pierce a kidney or a large intestine.
And also: How can a person be THERE and MISSING at the same time?

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Giff:   With all due respect, if we were to analyze lyrics for songs in any style or category going back as far as you wish or just remaining within comteporary times, we would wind up like the Stooges did oft times at the end of their shorts-pulling our hair off our heads as lyrics do not make sense for the most part.

Poetic license?  67 cents  67 cents  67 centavos

S F
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
With all due respect, if we were to analyze lyrics for songs in any style or category going back as far as you wish or just remaining within comteporary times, we would wind up like the Stooges did oft times at the end of their shorts-pulling our hair off our heads as lyrics do not make sense for the most part.

Shemoeley, that is the entire point of this board, and certainly this thread ... to try and point out the oddities of song writers and their blasted "poetic licence". It seems that these licences can be gotten from a box of Cracker Jacks ... Candy coated popcorn, peanuts and a prize - that's what you get in Cracker Jack!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
This Song Has No Title - Elton John
Neverminding the self-negating song title, the lyrics Elton sings during the entire song is "This song's got no title ..." NOT "This song has no title".

Pilsner Panther

1. Boogie On Reggae Woman - Stevie Wonder
Maybe Pilsner can answer this one ... Why would Stevie tell a reggae woman to "boogie on"?

"Boogie" is a general term that can mean a number of things, not all of them related to music. I'm going to do a Boogie-Woogie Pilsner's Picks segment fairly soon, giving examples of various types of Boogie-Woogie, from the early pianists Jimmy Yancey and Pine Top Smith to later, more jazz-pop mutations like the Boogie recordings by Gene Krupa's band, and the Andrews Sisters.

Musically speaking, it's a piano-based style, with eight beats to the bar of music rather than the standard four beats to the bar of Swing; this is what gives it a kind of rushed, excited quality, especially in the hands of the greatest Boogie-Woogie keyboard players like Albert Ammons and Pete Johnson. Basically, you need both a powerful left hand (bass) and a delicate right (treble) to play it right; when it is played right, the results will make your jaw drop.

8)

As for those lyrics, damn if I know... but I do know that our dear President once waved at Stevie Wonder, trying to get his attention.

::)

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Well, we can forgive Bushy for that ... I mean ... Stevie's only been blind since birth ...

"Boogie" is a general term that can mean a number of things, not all of them related to music.

Okay, then ... so Stevie used his insipid "poetic licence" to proclaim that a reggae woman can boogie on? "Indeterminate" is a general term, so could Stevie have sung, "Move indeterminately, Reggae Woman"?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 01:16:30 AM by Giff me dat fill-em! »

Pilsner Panther

This Song Has No Title - Elton John
Neverminding the self-negating song title, the lyrics Elton sings during the entire song is "This song's got no title ..." NOT "This song has no title".

Well, how about a composition that has a title, but no music?

http://interglacial.com/~sburke/stuff/cage_433.html

I've actually heard— no, that is, seen this performed in a classical concert hall.

The whole score (one page) consists of the following instructions:

I.

Tacet [silence]

II.

Tacet

III.

Tacet

IV.

Tacet

[end]

Unlike some rock music, it's never ruined anyone's hearing!

;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pilsner Panther

Well, we can forgive Bushy for that ... I mean ... Stevie's only been blind since birth ...

"Boogie" is a general term that can mean a number of things, not all of them related to music.

Okay, then ... so Stevie used his insipid "poetic licence" to proclaim that a reggae woman can boogie on? "Indeterminate" is a general term, so could Stevie have sung, "Move indeterminately, Reggae Woman"?

He had no idea what kind of movements she was actually making, so what difference did it make to him?

(Just had my own poetic license revoked).

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid

He had no idea what kind of movements she was actually making, so what difference did it make to him?

(Just had my own poetic license revoked).

Brave-o! En-chore! Touch-ay! Thou hast pricked me with the foil, and I lay fatally wounded, and so wilt I meet my fate with a laden heart from your usurpedness.

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Although out dated now, in the 1970's "to boogie" was to split, to leave, to go..... once can easily see why that came to be after reading the definitions of boogie given by Pils. Boogie also to a lesser extent meant to dance, one could tell someone at a club or house party, "c'mon let's boogie" and it would be known it meant to get on up and get down on the dance floor.

It's interesting to see the evolution of slang, I have  books from the 1930's and 1940's written by Cab Calloway and a personal hero of mine, Babs González respectively defining the slang terms of the time. Many words are back in style. It is also interesting to see how words used by blacks and or jazz-blues musicians became slang used by beatniks, hippies, grungers and now hip hoppers. Some slang terms are amazing in that they have manintained the same meaning for many decades and have remained in vogue.

S F
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline Shemoeley Fine

In reviewing my archival notes on past slang, I noticed that in the 1920's and 1930's, besides the musical connotations, boogie woogie was slang for syphillis and gonorrhea. Alphonse Capone died due to effects of the boogie woogie.

S  F
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Death by Boogie-Woogie, eh?
This brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "The boogie-man is gonna get ya"!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
U Can't Touch This -  M.C. Hammer
I TOLD you homeboy ... (You can't touch this)
Yeah, that's how we livin' and you know ... (You can't touch this)
Look at my eyes, maaaaaaan ... (You can't touch this)
Yo, let me bust the funky lyrics ... (You can't touch this)

I have YET to see a photo of M.C. Hammer that DOESN'T show him without wearing sunglasses! (that actually HIDE his eyes from view!!) Also, this song makes use of LETTERS to represent whole words in the title/words of a song, and as such, it represents a demonstration of a "kind-of" phonetic spelling technique. In that regard, and in order to keep with M.C.'s pronounciations, the title to the song should REALLY be U Kayn't Tutch Dis!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Take Me Home - John Denver
Almost heaven, West Virginia,
Blue Ridge Mountains
Shenandoah River.
Life is old there,
Older than the trees,
Younger than the mountains
Growin' like a breeze.

The age of life is the nitpick here ...
"Younger than the mountains" is questionable/debatable, and while I don't know the approximate age of the Blue Ridge Mountains, if you can find fossils in the mountains, then the mountains (at least that part that is found above the location of the fossil) are younger than life.
“Older than the trees” is, on the other hand, believable. Trees have only been around since the Mesozoic era, and I believe insects beat the trees by an era or two.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Jump - Kriss Kross
Now,the formalities of this and that
Is that Kriss Kross ain´t comin´ off wack
And for all ya´ll suckers that don´t know
Check it out
Some of them try to rhyme
But they can´t rhyme like this
Some of them try to rhyme but they can´t
Cause I´m the miggida-miggida-miggida-miggida Mac Daddy
Miggida-miggida-miggida-miggida Mac
Cause I´m the miggida-miggida-miggida-miggida Mac Daddy
Miggida-miggida-miggida-miggida Mac
I make ya wanna
Jump jump
The Mac Dad will make ya Jump jump
The Daddy Mac will make ya Jump jump
Kriss Kross will make ya Jump jump
uh huh uh huh

The nitpick here is that after viewing the "rhymes" ... I wouldn't want to rhyme "like that" even if I could! About the only attempt at a rhyme in that entire passage is the words "that" and "wack".

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Nitpicking the audio track between the songs Don't Leave Me Now and Another Brick In The Wall, Part III from the Pink Floyd album The Wall has a distraught male shooting out the sets of six TV's, ALL of which are tuned to various TV stations. HOWEVER, the audio track records the sound of 16 TV's being turned ON, and only 6 TV's being shot out!
This might be rationalized as follows:
1. The actual number of sets manipulated were only 6 ... (i.e., 6 sets were turned ON and 5 sets were turned On and then OFF) leaving only 6 sets to be blasted away by the 6 gunshot sounds that follow.
2. There actually were 16 sets turned on, and the shootist used a shotgun to blast away at 3,3,3,3,3 then finally ONE set (as the audio track records).
3. Only 6 sets were turned on, then the shootist changed the channels of one or more sets to account for the extra ten clicks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Jamaica Farewell - Harry Belafonte
Down the way where the nights are gay
And the sun shines daily on the mountaintop
I took a trip on a sailing ship
And when I reached Jamaica I made a stop

(Refrain)
But I'm sad to say, I'm on my way
Won't be back for many a day
My heart is down, my head is turning around
I had to leave a little girl in Kingston town

Sounds of laughter everywhere
And the dancing girls sway to and fro
I must declare my heart is there
Though I've been from Maine to Mexico

Refrain

Down at the market you can hear
Ladies cry out while on their heads they bear
Aki rice, salt fish are nice
And the rum is fine any time of year

Refrain

Down the way where the nights are gay
And the sun shines daily on the mountaintop
I took a trip on a sailing ship
And when I reached Jamaica, I made a stop

Refrain

Observation
I really enjoy the plethora of internal rhymes this song has to offer. Not many songs can match the rhyming that occurs in this single tune! It makes for a most pleasurable listening experience. (along with Harry's wonderful voice)

Nitpick
The man weaving this story seems to be more in love with Jamaica than with the "little girl in Kingston town" that he keeps mentioning in the refrain. He comments on the local street vendors, the way he got to Jamaica, the flavor of local street life there, etc., but ONLY in passing says that he had to leave a "little girl" when he left Jamaica. Is this a slam against Jamaican women? Does it take Jamaica itself to keep a world traveler from leaving?

Pilsner Panther

Ahh, you're being too nitpicky now. That's a really nice song; both the lyrics and the melody are very well-written. I haven't heard it or thought about it in years, but I remember it when from I was really small, because my parents had a few Harry Belafonte albums.

I've spent a fair amount of time in Jamaica, too:

http://officialsite.com/asp/officialsite.asp?RegionId=32&CategoryId=58&ListingID=3528

Whoops! Wrong Jamaica! I've never been to the other one. According to Wikipedia, "Jamaica" derives from an old Indian word for "beaver."

Which must be true, since I've found some beaver there myself.

;)

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Pilsner ... nice etymology, there. Perhaps you could make a "sweater" out of it.

Return To Sender - Elvis Presley
So I dropped it in the mailbox
And sent it Special D
Bright and early next morning
It came right back to me

I seriously doubt that the singer could send a letter by "special delivery" by just dropping it in the mailbox, unless there was a plethora of stamps applied to the envelope. Most special delivery letters are negotiated at the post office counter and a fee paid prior to mailing. Also, the post office workers in Elvis’ day must have been VERY efficient, because not only did they deliver a parcel of mail to the girlfriend, but she wrote “return to sender” on it, placed it back in the mailbox (supposedly), and the postal service returned his letter the very next morning! Hats off to the post office!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Daniel – Elton John
Daniel my brother
You are older than me
Do you still feel the pain
Of the scars that won't heal

Now, a scar denotes a wound that HAS already healed! ... therefore the line should have more appropriately been sung "Of the wounds that won't heal".

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
HUGE nitpick!!! -

I was yearning to own a copy of Tommy James and the Shondells' tune Crimson and Clover and a copy of The Moody Blues' tune Nights in White Satin ... HOWEVER ... the ONLY copies I could find on any "greatest hits" collection contain copies that OMIT the 1) long guitar solo in the middle of Crimson and Clover and 2) omits the poem at the end of of Nights in White Satin!! Pissed me off to no end buying a "greatest hits" CD and they omit the best parts of each song! (dumbasses!)

Offline FineBari3

I can't believe I never visited this section of our little asylum called threestooges.net!

I worked in one of the greatest used record stores in the country for 7 years! It's Jerry's in Pittsburgh (used to be in Oakland, hen moved out to Squirrel Hill). It was the greatest job I ever had! It was just like every used record store you have seenn in the movies like 'High Fidelity" and "Pretty in Pink"....but TWO FLOORS!!!!

Man, did the characters pour into there! Lots of regulars...touring casts and companies, doctors, the county coroner, celebs, bookies. Thats how I met the legendary Doug Drown, aka The Jazz Stooge. Man, was he a strange guy (rest his soul). He ran the Stooges film festivals for years in Pittsburgh, especially the rowdy, crazy ones in the 1980s that went Fri-Sun.

I think I'm gonna like like it here.......

BTW, did it ever sound like somebody was playing raquetball in the background of Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On?"???

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson