Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

TV Shows

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Futurama - A Fishful of Dollars

This episode has Bender caught shoplifting, and the others are a few cents short when paying the fine. Fry goes to his old bank, where he had been keeping a $0.93 balance. However, the past millennium and a 2.25% interest rate has turned his meager balance into a whopping $4.3 billion.

Okay, I couldn't help myself. I plugged 93 cents at 2.25% annually for 1,000 years, and I got $49,243,435,066.46, which is 4.9 billion, not 4.3 billion. I guess there were some service charges.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 01:34:15 PM by Giff me dat fill-em! »
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Star Trek, the original series and Next Generation
The opening credits has either Kirk or Picard ending by saying ... to boldy go where no man/one has gone before.

This violates one of those crazy rules of English, either dangling your participle or splitting your infinitive, and should be spoken "to go boldly where no man has gone before".

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Star Trek, the original series and Next Generation
The opening credits has either Kirk or Picard ending by saying ... to boldy go where no man/one has gone before.

This violates one of those crazy rules of English, either dangling your participle or splitting your infinitive, and should be spoken "to go boldly where no man has gone before".
Piffle - that's not a "violation", just "poetic license."  William Shakespeare, perhaps the greatest English author of all time, broke the "rules" on a regular basis.  (The English "rules of grammar" are basically the rules for Latin, imposed on a completely unrelated language.  Even the word "grammar" is derived from an Old French word, gramaire, which was in turn was an alliteration of the Latin word grammatica.)

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
You and your blasted "poetic license"!! If they were taught to students as "the rules of grammar", then they should be followed. If they were merely "guidelines", then piffle indeed!

Pilsner Panther

Poetic License (hey, if you can have anything else you want on your license plate, why not your favorite poet?):

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
You and your blasted "poetic license"!! If they were taught to students as "the rules of grammar", then they should be followed. If they were merely "guidelines", then piffle indeed!
Well, that's just it, Giff - they are more like "guidelines" rather than "rules."  And they were artificially imposed on the English language, although most teachers won't tell you that.  If you are interested in the subject, I highly recommend the book The Mother Tongue: English and How It Got That Way" by Bill Bryson; it's very funny and entertaining, as well as informative.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Okay ... Alright ... I suppose I should withdraw the nitpick, then. (kicks at pebble on ground - scuffles away)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Okay ... Alright ... I suppose I should withdraw the nitpick, then. (kicks at pebble on ground - scuffles away)
You can't withdraw your nitpick, or else my nitpicking over your nitpick won't make sense.   ;D

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
It isn't often I'm out-nitpicked, but being second place in a field of two isn't bad.

CURLYFAN

Let me say that this "Nitpicker's Corner" idea is a great one and I am sure this forum will get a tone of posts and here is mine. . . .

I was watching "The Honeymooners" and i noticed that the Kramdens door opens on the right in the earlier episodes then it opened on the left in the later episodes and the icebox changed too.

Offline moehammad

"boldy go"? Check your spelling! Is this "nitpicky"  enough?

Pilsner Panther

In Captain Picard's case, it should have been, "To baldly go where no one has gone before." [rim shot]

::)

Pilsner Panther

Let me say that this "Nitpicker's Corner" idea is a great one and I am sure this forum will get a tone of posts and here is mine. . . .

I was watching "The Honeymooners" and i noticed that the Kramdens door opens on the right in the earlier episodes then it opened on the left in the later episodes and the icebox changed too.

Also, the painted backdrop ("flat") showing the buildings across the street from the Kramden apartment changed at some point during the series. It's the same view in the earlier episodes, but a different painting.

Now I'm being nitpicky!

CURLYFAN

SANFORD AND SON

I noticed on the opening theme Fred is sitting in front of his house and there are 2 big windows but when you see the kitchen from inside there are no windows.

Offline Shemoeley Fine

CURLYFAN   wrote about <<< SANFORD AND SON
I noticed on the opening theme Fred is sitting in front of his house and there are 2 big windows but when you see the kitchen from inside there are no windows  >>>>

I can tell you why, in the early 70's Nat Taylor who played Rollo in Sanford and Son lived a few houses up the block from me and we were friendly before he began playing Rollo and for a few years after because when he made some money he moved to a better neighborhood and we lost contact, anyhooo the opening sequence was filmed at an actual house on Central Avenue in South Central LA where the Fred G. Sanford's empire of junk takes place in the series.
All subsequent scenes were done on a sound stage in the NBC studios in "beautiful Downtown Burbank". I had the good fortune of seeing several episodes filmed and the best parts were before filming as Redd Foxx would come out to warm up the audience telling jokes he couldn't use on the show.

I also have seen the following shows filmed:
The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson (when it was still 90-minutes)
The Gong Show    (my favorite, I knew the Unknown Comic before he was unknown as he was a stand up comic at Pasadena's famed Ice House)
Let's Make A Deal  (my mom was a contestant)
Chico & The Man   ( my sister dated Freddie Prinze for a short time)
Bowling for Dollars  ( a local L A tv game show hosted by the voice of the Lakers-Chick Hearn)
On The Rocks  (a short lived situation comedy that was hilarious but was canceled because it took place in prison and there were objections of portraying prison as a fun place to be)
The Redd Foxx Comedy Hour  (a variety show Red hosted with the famous "ya doesn't have to call me Johnson routine)
The Midnight Special    (with Jose Feliciano, Staples Singers and Tower of Power, one of their members got us tickets)

S F

Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
WRT "The Honeymooners", didn't Jackie Gleason move the show from NY to Miami? Did the set change then?

Detroit's version of "Bowling for Dollars" had Bob Allison.

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Pilsner Panther

WRT "The Honeymooners", didn't Jackie Gleason move the show from NY to Miami? Did the set change then?

You're thinking of the later, revived "Honeymooners," which was part of the late 1960's Jackie Gleason Show ("From Miami Beach, the sun and fun capital of the world, it's the Jackie Gleason Show!"). There were major differences, in that Alice and Trixie were played by different actresses (Sheila McRae and Jane Kean), and unlike the original, the episodes included musical numbers. Also, by that time color TV had come in (and the DuMont Network had gone out), so those shows are the only "Honeymooners" ever broadcast in color.

No, the set change I'm thinking of came sometime during the run of the original show, possibly when "The Honeymooners" went from segments within a longer show to a full half-hour of its own.

CURLYFAN

You are one of the lucky ones and Chico and the man was and still is one of my favorite TV shows, I am soooo glad we have TVLAND.

CURLYFAN

THE BRADY BUNCH

I noticed on an episode of "The Brady Bunch" That the sliding door that goes from the back yard to the family room (the room with the TV in it) has no glass in it ??

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
You're thinking of the later, revived "Honeymooners," which was part of the late 1960's Jackie Gleason Show ("From Miami Beach, the sun and fun capital of the world, it's the Jackie Gleason Show!"). There were major differences, in that Alice and Trixie were played by different actresses (Sheila McRae and Jane Kean), and unlike the original, the episodes included musical numbers. Also, by that time color TV had come in (and the DuMont Network had gone out), so those shows are the only "Honeymooners" ever broadcast in color.

MPI Home Video recently acquired a license to distribute the 1960s color HONEYMOONERS skits on DVD, as well as "Best of..." collections of Gleason's other variety show characters, Reginald Van Gleason, Joe the Bartender (w/Frank Fontaine), the Lost Soul, etc.

Tentatively, they're planned for the latter half of 2006; unfortunately, they may be a little pricey due to the amount of music licensing that MPI is dealing with.

CURLYFAN

I was watching TAGS on TVLAND and I noticed a sink in the left jail cell and I don't remember ever seeing that before, this episode featured Don Rickles as Newton Monroe a salesman who sold junk on the streets of Mayberry.

There have been a number of episodes featuring that left jail cell and I don't remember seeing a sink in there before ??

Offline MoeHoward1985

• Moe Howard's Mastermind
  • Porcupine
  • Moe's Favorite Fan
Hey guys, I'm new here.

I remembered:

Quantum Leap
21 Jump Street
Entertainment Tonight
Press Your Luck (RIP Peter Tomarken)
Wheel of Fortune (Syndication)
The Price Is Right

That's all I can't even think of, sorry.
"Remind me to kill ya later." -- Moe Howard
"I'll make a note of it." -- Me

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Welcome, MH1985 ...
Of the TV shows you listed, are there any in which you may have noticed, perhaps, a prop out of place from one scene to another, or maybe someone was standing in a different spot when a scene cut occured, or any other weird occurance you may have seen? After all, this thread is dedicated to identifying TV nitpicks, not just reminiscing about shows we all remember. Heck, I can list some REEEAAALLLY old ones ...

The Beanie and Cecil Show
The Red Skelton Show
Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In
Kukla, Fran and Ollie

... to name a few.

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Over this past weekend I had the pleasure of meeting and greeting a former writer for the Red Skelton Show, late 50's to early 60's period, and now I see this post about the show-how ironic. The writer was telling me about how they worked because Red had to approve every single word for every skit script and one-liner as he was obsessed with language and potential use of words becoming double-entendres something he was vehemently opposed to. Morey Amsterdam was the chief writer, Johnny Carson was there for a while as well. Red was all business always calling his staff Mr so and so, never treating them informally.

S F
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I saw Red once a long time ago passing through the airport, he was tired and rather grumpy that day, but that didn't stop me from enjoying his films anymore.

Shemoeley ... since this is the "Nitpicker's" board, please allow me to pick your statement apart:

Over this past weekend I had the pleasure of meeting and greeting a former writer for the Red Skelton Show, late 50's to early 60's period, and now I see this post about the show-how ironic.

The term ironic is so misused in the media and TV, its no wonder you misused it too. Irony deals with opposites, not coincidences. Just because you spoke to a writer for Red Skelton and I made a post referencing him, its not ironic, its a coincidence. If two football players from the same hometown, yet drafted by different teams, receive the same uniform numbers, its not ironic, its a coincidence. Irony means, (quote) A state of affairs that is the reverse of what was to be expected; a result opposite to, and in mockery of, the appropriate result. (unquote) If a diabetic, on his way to buy insulin, is killed by a truck that is delivering insulin, that would be ironic. If a Kurd, fleeing Saddam Hussein's army in the wilderness, is crushed and killed by a parachute drop of humanitarian aid, that would be precisly ironic.

Sorry about the np, but I couldn't resist ... besides, these things have bothered me for a long time, and its good to vent now and then.