Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Caricature

Offline dbaxter1991

I realized that the Stooges were caricature in cartoons such as Hollywood Steps Out (1941) and Porky's Hero Agency. Do you all know any others?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
BON BON PARADE  (Columbia Color Rhapsody 1935)
HOLLYWOOD PICNIC  (Columbia Color Rhapsody  1937)
POOR LITTLE BUTTERFLY  (Columbia Color Rhapsody 1939)
CINDERELLA GOES TO A PARTY  (Columbia Color Rhapsody 1942)
A HOLLYWOOD DETOUR  (Columbia Color Rhapsody  1942)

THE MILLER'S DAUGHTER  (Merrie Melodies 1934)
BUDDY'S LOST WORLD  (Looney Tunes 1935)
PORKY'S HERO AGENCY  (Looney Tunes 1937)
WHOLLY SMOKE  (Looney Tunes 1938)
PORKY IN WACKYLAND  (Looney Tunes 1938)
HOLLYWOOD STEPS OUT  (Merrie Melodies 1941)
DOUGH FOR THE DO-DO  (Merrie Melodies 1949)

THE CAPTURE OF THE DREADED THREE-HEADED THREEP  (Beany & Cecil TV cartoon 1961)

HOLLYWOOD CANINE CANTEEN  (Merrie Melodies 1946) -  Joe Besser character
HOLLYWOOD DAFFY  (Merrie Melodies 1946) -  Joe Besser character
RABBIT FIRE  (Looney Tunes 1951) -  Joe Besser character

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
How about:

THE NEW SCOOBY-DOO MOVIES - Ghastly Ghost Town (with The Three Stooges) 1972
THE NEW SCOOBY-DOO MOVIES - The Ghost of the Red Baron (with The Three Stooges) 1972

and of course, there was the god awful:

THE ROBOTIC STOOGES (Hanna Barbera Prod., 1978)

Offline Myren

Hey why is there no cartoon listing in the filmography / episode guide? If i missed it, sorry.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Hey why is there no cartoon listing in the filmography / episode guide? If i missed it, sorry.

The only cartoons that I'd consider part of the Stooges' filmography are the "New 3 Stooges" (which is in the episode list), and the various "guest" appearances by Joe Besser doing voices in various cartoons (which are included in the "Guest Appearances - TV" filmography.)  The caricature cartoons discussed above aren't properly part of the filmography, since none of the Stooges actually appeared in them or did voice work for them.

Pilsner Panther

Those "Columbia Color Rhapsody" cartoons are really obscure— so obscure that I've never seen one, even though I've been an animation fan all my life (I almost became an animator myself, and I was once invited to submit a portfolio to Disney, but that's a long story that doesn't belong here).

The only Columbia cartoon series that left any lasting impression is "The Fox and the Crow," probably because director Frank Tashlin later went on to direct live-action comedy features, including the only Jerry Lewis pictures that are actually funny. This, despite the serious drawback that Lewis was in them.

http://www.toonopedia.com/fox_crow.htm

I wonder why Columbia never tried to market their cartoons to TV, like they did with their comedy shorts? Nowadays, most cartoon fans probably don't even know that Columbia had an animation unit at all.

Offline Myren

Ok, thanks. I had just wondered because i see the 3 Stooges cartoons at Target for a dollar all the time. ( With out the rap-arounds) That is why i had asked.

Offline Jareth

• Grapehead
  • "I'm as pretty as a picture!" "Yeah, of an ape!"
Can These Cartoons be found?
HOLLYWOOD STEPS OUT  (Merrie Melodies 1941)                                                DOUGH FOR THE DO-DO  (Merrie Melodies 1949)
Jareth Wilder

Offline Shemoeley Fine

On the subject of cartoons, I seem to recall,  I believe it to be a Bugs Bunny short, if not most assuredly a Looney Tune where there are characterizations of famous Hollywood celebrities of the 40's, Edward G, Bogie, Cary Grant and others including the Stooges as waiters in what appeared to be the Brown Derby.  Am I dreaming? , is my memory clouded or was there such a toon featuring our favorite comedy team?

S  F
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
A Warner Brothers/Looney Tunes cartoon titled "Hollywood Steps Out" (1941) features Moe, Larry and Curly poking, slapping and punching each other in a nightclub/Brown Derby-like atmosphere as you suspected. My source, The Stoogephile Trivia Movie, states that this was the first color appearance of the boys where they didn't even have to show up. We all know that The Stooges' first color appearance is Nertsery Rhymes.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033724/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 08:42:57 PM by Giff me dat fill-em! »
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Can These Cartoons be found?

HOLLYWOOD STEPS OUT  (Merrie Melodies 1941) 
DOUGH FOR THE DO-DO  (Merrie Melodies 1949)

Sony has expressed no interest in its classic cartoon library, so the probability of the Color Rhapsodies on home video is unlikely.  16mm prints are around, but rare; I have a very nice print of HOLLYWOOD PICNIC (1937).  Some Rhapsodies were marketed on 8mm (in b&w) in the 1960s, with BON BON PARADE (1935) turning up most often.

The Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 1 DVD set contains DOUGH FOR THE DO-DO (1949), and The Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 2 contains HOLLYWOOD STEPS OUT (1941) and PORKY IN WACKYLAND (1938), digitally transferred from remastered/restored Warner library negatives.  The others will turn up on DVD some time in the future, as more of Warner Bros.' DVD sets are released... but it will be a slow process, since the studio is painstakingly restoring their negatives as close to original condition as possible at a cost of $millions, at a rate of about 60 cartoons per year (there are 1,100 Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes cartoons).  HOLLYWOOD STEPS OUT (1941) is public domain, so it is also very easy to find crappy copies on numerous bargain-label DVDs and VHS's.

The Golden Collection DVDs are listed in this site's Videography, http://threestooges.net/videography.php

A computer-colorized PORKY'S HERO AGENCY (1938) was on a VHS about ten years ago, Porky Pig Days of Swine and Roses.  The original black & white was on a Laser Disc collection, Wince Upon a Time.

Except for THE MILLER'S DAUGHTER (1934) and BUDDY'S LOST WORLD (1935), all the Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes with Stooge caricatures are shown on Warner Bros.' cable channels Cartoon Network and Boomerang; the LT's are usually the computer-colorized versions.

The Beany & Cecil TV cartoon was released on Vol. 8 of Columbia's B&C VHS series in the late 1980s; it is not on DVD, or included in Cartoon Network's now-defunct THE BOB CLAMPETT SHOW.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 12:58:57 AM by BeAStooge »

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
My source, The Stoogephile Trivia Movie, states that this was the first color appearance of the boys where they didn't even have to show up. We all know that The Stooges' first color appearance is Nertsery Rhymes.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033724/

All the Columbia Color Rhapsodies were naturally in color, and several pre-date HOLLYWOOD STEPS OUT (1941), with BON BON PARADE (1935) at six years.

In addition to NERTSERY RHYMES (1933), the missing HELLO POP (1933) was filmed in 2-strip Technicolor.  Curly's solo ROAST-BEEF AND MOVIES (1934) and the missing Moe & Curly JAILBIRDS OF PARADISE (1934) were also 2-strip Technicolor.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 10:37:54 PM by BeAStooge »

Capt.KSB

Dear Shemoley Fine,

Bugs Bunny was not in"Hollywood

Steps Out".

You're confusing"Slick Hair"which

featured Caractures of Sid Greenstreet,

Carmen Miranda,Frank Sinatra,Ray Milland,

Harpo Marx,Humphrey and Lauren Bacall

Bogart with "Hollywood Steps Out".

Bugs did imitations of Edward G.Robinson,

Jerry Colona and Bing Crosby in"What's Cooking

Doc".

And Bugs worked with caracatures of

EdwardG.Robinson and Peter Lorrie in

"Racketeer Rabbitt".

But?

He never did a Warner Brothers"Looney

Tunes"or "Merrie Melodies"movie cartoons

with caracatures of Cary Grant and Edward G.

Robinson in a Hollywood,Cal. nightclub setting.

Anyway,

Thanks For Remembering

Bugs Bunny's and Warner Brothers

animated parodies of the movies most

popular performers,

Capt.KSB. >:( ??? ;)

Offline Dr. Belch

In the modern era, there was the short "Pinky and the Brain...and Larry", in which the world-domination seeking lab mice are partnered with a third mouse who looks and sounds like Larry Fine. Naturally it throws off their dynamic, and the plan soon degenerates to Stoogeish slapstick. Billy West, who does a spot-on Larry Fine, voiced Larry the lab mouse. "I'm the one called Larry."

Another P&B episode showed a number of world leaders watching films by a comedy trio dubbed "The Three Morons" (presumably for copyright purposes) who were, of course, caricatures of  [3stooges].

I myself have a comic book series in which I do a lot of Stooge homages. One story, "Nutzi Nazis", features caricatures Adolf Hitler, Martin Bormann, and SS doctor Ludwig Stumpfegger as Moe, Curly, and Larry respectively.

Which I guess just shows to go ya--always imitated, never duplicated.

Offline stooge1029

The best stooge caricatures Ive ever seen are actually done by John K and Spumco (Ren and Stimpy). They put out stooge figures and dolls in the mid 90s. I have the set and looking at their faces still makes me laugh. He got everything right. Anyone else have these?