Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Count (1916) - Charlie Chaplin

Offline metaldams

THE COUNT is the fifth of twelve shorts Charlie Chaplin made for Mutual.  After the drama filled short THE VAGABOND and the basic solo act that was ONE A.M., we’re back to a normal comedy with Chaplin working with a big cast.  The results are a perfectly fine comedy short.  For the people who like to look at class differences in Chaplin films, there’s plenty to see and for those of us who like our comedy, there’s plenty to laugh at.

The class stuff.  Admittedly not my main thing but even I can see the layers of it here.  Starts out with Chaplin and his boss at the suit shop, played by Eric Campbell and his epic facial hair.  Both are low on the totem pole, but Campbell a tad higher.  Campbell sees a note in one of his customer’s suits that’s an invitation to a swanky party, so he takes it to advance himself socially under false pretense.  Chaplin happens to be at the party because that’s where his maid girlfriend is.  A game of chess ensues between Chaplin and Campbell about their hierarchy on the guest list, with Chaplin doing the outsmarting.

Speaking of hierarchy, Chaplin’s lady situation falls into this category.  His actual girlfriend is the maid.  When he convinces the party he is a count, he is able to flirt with the stately Edna, who has money.  Chaplin also encounters this young female party guest who has a very pronounced wiggle in her walk, so Chaplin chases after her.  In the end, for all Chaplin’s pretenses about trying to be high class, his lowly desires take over as he acts so smitten with the young girl he starts smacking pastry with his cane into the faces of guests - his emotions coming out like a giddy school boy, leading to a huge chase that disrupts the party.  Very much like The Three Stooges in HOI POLLOI.  The low comic can act like high society for so long, his true nature will come out.  The female party guest brought it out, though his table manners hinted at things to come.

Some comic highlights are the opening measuring scene, which I think is hysterical.  The measuring of cheekbones, fingers, lips - Chaplin clearly didn’t know what he was doing.  The chase at the end is classic physical Chaplin.  Slipping and sliding all over the place, ducking under people, giving people mule kicks - this is Chaplin at his young and physical comic prime.  A really fun short overall.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Excellent review . . . and one of my favorite Chaplin Mutuals.

"The Count" returns Chaplin to familiar territory — reviving the premise of Charlie invading high society by impersonating an individual of stature and wealth. However, Chaplin avoids the usual contrast between the rich and poor by elevating his character’s social position. Instead of the Tramp, he plays a tailor who is mistaken for a count and becomes the hit of the party until the real count arrives. Chaplin effectively ridicules the pretentiousness of the upper class in ways that predate the anarchic irreverence of the Marx Brothers, notably the scene in which Charlie masters the art of eating watermelon at a lavish dinner.

Unlike the previous Mutuals, "The Count" contains a tremendous amount of comic vitality. The escalating battles between Chaplin and Eric Campbell culminate in a superbly timed ballet of physical violence, with enough kicking and acrobatic chasing for several two-reelers. After more than two years, Chaplin firmly establishes a stylistic fusion of direction and performance that becomes a hallmark in the Mutual series.

Offline NoahYoung

Not much to add, since I like all the Mutuals. This falls somewhere in the middle for me. I still think it's great, but since the 12 film series is so great, they can't all rank number 1.  :)

I always thought it was interesting that Chaplin's derby is a lighter color (presumably gray) rather than black. I can't think of another film where he wears a derby that wasn't black.

General comment: Eric Campbell was irreplaceable. You'll notice that Chaplin never really tried to replace him after he was tragically killed in a car accident shortly after the last Mutual was filmed. To me (and others, I'm sure), it is hilarious how Chaplin always gets the upper hand even though Eric is twice his size!

Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Eric Campbell was irreplaceable. You'll notice that Chaplin never really tried to replace him after he was tragically killed in a car accident shortly after the last Mutual was filmed.

The loss was immeasurable to Chaplin, who never again found a comic villain equal to Eric Campbell’s talent and screen presence. At the 44:43 mark of the "Chaplin's Goliath" documentary, we see auditions for Eric's replacement, which obviously proved futile.

Offline NoahYoung

I've had that documentary ready to watch for over a year but haven't got to it yet. Off the top of my head, I think he endures the most abuse from Chaplin in THE CURE.

I didn't know that Chaplin even attempted to replace him. I've never subscribed to the theory that no one is indispensable -- mostly heard at the workplace. Believe you me, it's not entirely true. Many people aren't, but some very much are. You find out when they are gone.

Offline metaldams

The only time after Campbell Chaplin had heavies as good were Mack Swain and Tom Murray in THE GOLD RUSH, but it took two of them!  Campbell was great indeed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline NoahYoung

Yes, but Chaplin didn't taunt and torture them in THE GOLD RUSH like he did to Eric Campbell!
 :laugh:
Chaplin never showed any fear of Eric in the Mutuals, either.
That's just one of the reasons why the Mutual Period is my favorite for Chaplin.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Eh, some stuff works, but this is probably my least favorite of the Mutuals as a whole so far...but again, that’s as a whole short. There are really funny moments, but they’re just spread in spots. The dancing scenes are all great, as it gives Chaplin a chance to show off his unique movement style, and I also like the constantly recurring gag with the cheese early on. Everyone’s reaction to it is really hilarious. My favorite part is when Chaplin throws the turkey at the one guy standing at the table. It’s just so timed perfectly; the glee Chaplin shows in hitting this random guy and the guy’s really shocked reaction make it such a joy.

For all that, though, there are moments where it drags, especially during the dinner table scenes or the parts where Chaplin is constantly getting distracted by the female party guest and following her. It does seem kind of unfocused, which isn’t always a bad thing, but can be a problem when half those distractions just aren’t funny. But again, what works is really good and Chaplin and Eric Campbell work great together as always; I too was surprised to learn that Chaplin attempted to replace him but failed.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I found this to be immensely entertaining from start to finish.  The opening scenes perfectly set the relationship between Chaplin and Campbell.  The way the act is carried throughout the party is only possible in Chaplin's universe.  See how casually he charms ladies yet just as casually uses a napkin to wipe his ears throughout the dinner scene.  Watch Edna Purviance during the dinner scene: her facial reactions are precious and make the scene be something much greater than it otherwise would be.  Alas, the low class tendencies eventually come to the front and naturally reveal that it is Chaplin and that this character, too, is a tramp like almost all others.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

The beginning was the comedic highlight for me. It's always fun seeing somebody fail to do their job and cause problems, that's what The Three Stooges were also great at.

The Count seems like a story that is a bit like Laurel and Hardy except Chaplin and Campbell are rivals. I could see Oliver Hardy introduce himself as a count and Stan Laurel as his secretary, only to make a mess of things. I like the dinner scene with Campbell, Chaplin and Purviance. It would make a great snapshot as they were the three principal actors of Chaplin's run at Mutual. I also noticed Edna's facial reactions, she looked like she would genuinely having fun watching Charlie Chaplin do his stuff. Chaplin falling around while dancing was a lot of fun.

The way the woman is trying to attract Charlie Chaplin is funny. She seems to think that he really is the count, and she wants that money!

Offline metaldams

I like the analogy of Chaplin and Eric Campbell being an almost, but not quite, Laurel and Hardy here.
- Doug Sarnecky