Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Universal Horror '30s/'40s

Svengarlic · 142 · 36569

Offline Dr. Mabuse

I bought the Frankenstein Blu-ray set a few years ago for $19, but $24 is still a great bargain.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankenstein-Complete-Legacy-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B01IFWT4B0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Frankenstein+blu+ray&qid=1580769386&s=movies-tv&sr=1-1

Eight beautiful restorations, including "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein." The "Son of Frankenstein"  disc has a minute of extra footage.

What the Blu-ray set doesn't have is the original "Son of Frankenstein" trailer, which happily exists.

Offline metaldams

I bought the 31 film Blu Ray Universal Monster set this past October for $70, a total steal.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Toast5884

Gloria Holden was in her mid thirties when she did DRACULA’S DAUGHTER.  When I was in my early twenties my attitude was, “maybe.”  Now I’m 40 and it’s a resounding, “Hell yes.”  When I mature into Maria Ouspenskaya circa 1941, you can throw the dirt on my grave.  [pie]  But yes, Ms. Holden was fantastic in that movie, no doubt.  The only thing that brings DRACULA’S DAUGHTER down are the screwball comedy scenes.  Very inappropriate to the atmosphere of the film, which I love otherwise.

Speaking of the Inner Sanctum series and Universal Horror ladies, WEIRD WOMAN may be the magnum opus of ladies in horror.  Evelyn Ankers never had a bitchier role in her life and Anne Gwynne plays innocent and mysterious at the same time.  Great stuff.

Dracula's Daughter has been a film that's fascinated me just because it seemed overlooked for the longest time in the Universal canon. I read that the original plan was for Lugosi to appear via flashbacks as something of an origin story to Dracula ala Godfather II but who knows how much of that is true. With all the pictures taken of him on set, he seemed to be a supporter of the film and was clearly aware it was being made. Another thing for fans to ponder, I guess. Always preferred Daughter to Son as Son just felt like it's only purpose for existing was to get Lon Jr to star as every monster Universal had.

Offline metaldams

Dracula's Daughter has been a film that's fascinated me just because it seemed overlooked for the longest time in the Universal canon. I read that the original plan was for Lugosi to appear via flashbacks as something of an origin story to Dracula ala Godfather II but who knows how much of that is true. With all the pictures taken of him on set, he seemed to be a supporter of the film and was clearly aware it was being made. Another thing for fans to ponder, I guess. Always preferred Daughter to Son as Son just felt like it's only purpose for existing was to get Lon Jr to star as every monster Universal had.

Lugosi got misused so much throughout his Hollywood career it’s a crime.  Imagine if instead of those screwball comedy scenes in Daughter we got backstory scenes with him.

As far as Son, I think Chaney is the only flaw in an otherwise well written and atmospheric Dracula film.  Bela again should have played the role - he proved he could do it in RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Toast5884

Truly. Obviously Lugosi had his demons. But you can't watch The Black Cat or Son of Frankenstein and not be blown away by just how good he is!

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Chaney had no business playing the Count . . . and "Son of Dracula" suffers dearly for it.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I think the rub most people have with Chaney in Son of Dracula is that he isn't exactly Hungarian--or maybe to put it another way--he's not Bela Lugosi. Of course--if you take the title of the movie literally--and I do, he's not supposed to be Lugosi, he's a descendant.

Also, I don't believe Chaney had a Welsh accent for the Wolf Man, either. I guess I'm saying that I think Chaney is just fine in the role & he seems to be a good precursor to the more animalistic portrayal of the Count, that Christopher Lee would bring to life when he essayed the role for Hammer.

Just count me as one of the fans who like Son of Dracula...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

I think the rub most people have with Chaney in Son of Dracula is that he isn't exactly Hungarian--or maybe to put it another way--he's not Bela Lugosi. Of course--if you take the title of the movie literally--and I do, he's not supposed to be Lugosi, he's a descendant.

Also, I don't believe Chaney had a Welsh accent for the Wolf Man, either. I guess I'm saying that I think Chaney is just fine in the role & he seems to be a good precursor to the more animalistic portrayal of the Count, that Christopher Lee would bring to life when he essayed the role for Hammer.

I’ll put it to you this way.  SON OF DRACULA is a very good movie as it is.  In my opinion, THE LODGER and THE BODY SNATCHER are the two best horror movies of the 40’s.  If Lugosi played Lon’s role, SON OF DRACULA would be.

I just don’t think Chaney was an ideal Dracula the same way I think Lugosi was not an ideal Frankenstein monster.  It boggles my mind Universal had Lugosi for a seven film contract and misused him mostly in red herring butler roles and the wrong monster.  He absolutely could have done SON OF DRACULA and proved it by being awesome in RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE.

Chaney is just OK.  Passable, not enough to destroy a good film.  I find the romantic couple more interesting than him. 

As far as Chaney being a precursor to Lee - perhaps.  The physicality for sure, but Lee had a more cultured presence than Chaney that I think suits Dracula better.  That’s no knock on Chaney, there’s plenty of roles he excels in, just not an ideal Dracula in my eyes.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

That reminds me, I really need to watch The Body Snatcher, again. I saw it only once several years ago on TCM & remember liking it, but I'm not sure how much, since I haven't seen much of Karloff's RKO output from the 40s.

I think some Lugosi-philes have a problem with how Karloff murdered Bela's character in the movie, but I don't remember being put off by it...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

That reminds me, I really need to watch The Body Snatcher, again. I saw it only once several years ago on TCM & remember liking it, but I'm not sure how much, since I haven't seen much of Karloff's RKO output from the 40s.

I think some Lugosi-philes have a problem with how Karloff murdered Bela's character in the movie, but I don't remember being put off by it...

I’m as big of a Lugosi fan as you’ll find and I do wish RKO used him better.  His limited role in The Body Snatcher was fine for what it was - Karloff and Henry Daniel more than carried the load.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

I think some Lugosi-philes have a problem with how Karloff murdered Bela's character in the movie, but I don't remember being put off by it.

One of the best moments in "The Body Snatcher" and, as it turned out, the final scene between Karloff and Lugosi.  According to director Robert Wise, the role of Joseph was written specifically for Lugosi to give the film a box-office boost — hence Bela's second billing.  The part would not have existed otherwise.

Offline metaldams

One of the best moments in "The Body Snatcher" and, as it turned out, the final scene between Karloff and Lugosi.  According to director Robert Wise, the role of Joseph was written specifically for Lugosi to give the film a box-office boost — hence Bela's second billing.  The part would not have existed otherwise.

Lugosi had a three film contract with RKO and THE BODY SNATCHER was the only non Carney and Brown film of the three.  You’re correct about Lugosi’s part in this film.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Lugosi had a three film contract with RKO and THE BODY SNATCHER was the only non Carney and Brown film of the three.  You’re correct about Lugosi’s part in this film.
I thought the movie Zombies on Broadway was pretty funny. My favorite part was when Carney and Brown overheard Lugosi calling them subjects (as in test subjects) and he gets out of the situation by saying he calls everybody subjects.

Offline metaldams

I thought the movie Zombies on Broadway was pretty funny. My favorite part was when Carney and Brown overheard Lugosi calling them subjects (as in test subjects) and he gets out of the situation by saying he calls everybody subjects.

Agreed.  That movie I find entertaining because of Lugosi.  The other film he was in with Carney and Brown, GENIUS AT WORK, I think Lugosi was wasted.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Lugosi had great comedy chops that were sadly underutilized. Watch his memorable performances in "Broadminded" (1931),  "International House" (1933) and "One Body Too Many" (1944).

https://ok.ru/video/1651701582437

https://ok.ru/video/384135400176

Offline Moose Malloy

Also, I don't believe Chaney had a Welsh accent for the Wolf Man, either.

Remember that Talbot was raised in the States. Wales??? I always thought THE WOLF MAN was set in London  ???

Offline Shemp_Diesel