Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What Makes Lizzy Dizzy? (1942) - Harry Langdon and Elsie Ames

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035547/

This is one of the strangest comedy shorts I have ever seen, even including those outside Columbia.  After a another two year layoff, Harry returns to Columbia for one last stint, which would end in his sad death.

WHAT MAKES LIZZY DIZZY? is really a vehicle for Elsie Ames with Dorothy Appleby as her straight lady.  Monty Collins actually is more important here than Harry, and they just play bumbling detectives who happen to be the boyfriends of the real stars.  Reality is that Harry is just here so Elsie can ride on the coattails of his stardom.  That being put forward requires the short be viewed in that light.

Now, this short has a terrible reputation and is regularly panned to death because Harry Langdon fans hate Columbia and thus just attack the short because of the studio.  Harry is indeed here just a grunt to take the occasional abuse much like Shemp in the Glove Slingers shorts.

This short is a bit spastic, high strung, and incredibly athletic.  Mr. Kelly gets all worlds of abuses as does Elsie Ames.  Her talent for taking a fall, previously seen in her appearances with Buster Keaton, are on full display here.  The scenes in the laundromat do cause laughter for anyone who enjoys Columbia style comedy, and the seasoned veterans in Harry and Monty do help a lot.

The bowling alley reel was one of the wackiest things I have ever seen.  It almost seems like a Three Stooges scene, but it isn't because they never did that: https://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,5706.msg50564.html#msg50564 Overall, though, it's entertaining as an unique piece of Columbia comedy.

Too much goes though without explaining.  Why did the cheating girls never get caught?  There happened to be a bowling back shaped piece of dynamite in the bag?  What happened to the cop (Bud Jamison) and the criminals?  The ending was really dissatisfying, but it was cutesy in a LITTLE RASCALS way.

Give this one a chance and see for yourselves.  It has some good moments.

7/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

I will admit, I found this short very hilarious almost from the start. There are just so many scenes that caused me to laugh hard. The people slipping in the laundry room, the boss getting stuck in the assembly line to the washing machine. The bowling alley scene also has highlights like Elsie smacking people with a bowling ball and hammer.

But the absolute highlight for me was when Harry got his hand stuck in the bowling ball and they tried to take it off and were bumping into each other, than tried to use a hammer to get it off. In terms of pure laughter I don't think anything beats the Columbia Shorts Department for me.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Unfortunately, watching this short confirmed the fears I had when watching SUE MY LAWYER. In SUE MY LAWYER, it felt like Harry was trying to strike a balance between his style and Jules White’s; here, it seems like he’s completely adhering to White’s style. Something just seems off about him here. His facial expressions are too animated and, though I’ll admit that the gags involving him getting his fingers stuck in the bowling balls are clever, they seem too fast paced for him. Keep in mind, this is a guy who’s big selling point was the fact that he took things slow. Doing things fast was not really something he seemed all that comfortable with, and I think it’s even been argued that doing that kind of fast paced work at Columbia may have contributed to his early demise. So I hope you can understand why I don’t like watching this from the perspective of a Harry Langdon fan.

However, it’s also important to note that this really isn’t much of a Harry Langdon short; it’s really more of an Elsie Ames short, and as far as this goes, it’s not...terrible. Actually, let me rephrase that: the second half is not terrible. The stuff at the laundromat was pretty uncomfortable to watch. Seeing the guy getting caught in the machines was just way too extreme for my liking. Even from a Stooges perspective, that seemed way too painful. Some of Elsie’s gags at the bowling alley were pretty good. I especially liked when Harry accidentally knocked her ball into the pins. Again, the whole idea of Harry getting the bowling balls stuck on his hands is a good one, but I feel it might have worked better with someone else.

I’m glad you both found a lot of things to like in this short. For me, though, I find that it’s just not worth watching, considering that there are both better Columbia shorts and better Harry Langdon shorts out there.

4 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline HomokHarcos

Unfortunately, watching this short confirmed the fears I had when watching SUE MY LAWYER. In SUE MY LAWYER, it felt like Harry was trying to strike a balance between his style and Jules White’s; here, it seems like he’s completely adhering to White’s style. Something just seems off about him here. His facial expressions are too animated and, though I’ll admit that the gags involving him getting his fingers stuck in the bowling balls are clever, they seem too fast paced for him. Keep in mind, this is a guy who’s big selling point was the fact that he took things slow. Doing things fast was not really something he seemed all that comfortable with, and I think it’s even been argued that doing that kind of fast paced work at Columbia may have contributed to his early demise. So I hope you can understand why I don’t like watching this from the perspective of a Harry Langdon fan.

However, it’s also important to note that this really isn’t much of a Harry Langdon short; it’s really more of an Elsie Ames short, and as far as this goes, it’s not...terrible. Actually, let me rephrase that: the second half is not terrible. The stuff at the laundromat was pretty uncomfortable to watch. Seeing the guy getting caught in the machines was just way too extreme for my liking. Even from a Stooges perspective, that seemed way too painful. Some of Elsie’s gags at the bowling alley were pretty good. I especially liked when Harry accidentally knocked her ball into the pins. Again, the whole idea of Harry getting the bowling balls stuck on his hands is a good one, but I feel it might have worked better with someone else.

I’m glad you both found a lot of things to like in this short. For me, though, I find that it’s just not worth watching, considering that there are both better Columbia shorts and better Harry Langdon shorts out there.

4 out of 10
What would have been great is if The Three Stooges did the bowling section. Having Moe's fingers stuck in the bowling ball and Larry and Curly trying to get it out while Moe threatens to murder them would their style perfectly.

Offline metaldams

What would have been great is if The Three Stooges did the bowling section. Having Moe's fingers stuck in the bowling ball and Larry and Curly trying to get it out while Moe threatens to murder them would their style perfectly.

Agreed!

As far as Langdon goes, yeah, it’s a funny visual with him having those bowling balls glued on his hands - but it would be funny with just about any comedian.  There is nothing, and I mean nothing in this short where Harry Langdon’s special talents were needed.  He is just a prop in the Columbia style.

As far as being a Columbia short, pretty entertaining.  The washroom and bowling stuff has some pretty messy and destructive slapstick and reminded me of some of the real old Sennett stuff in spirit - think DOUGH AND DYNAMITE, one of the better Chaplin Keystones.  Just destructive and messy for the heck of it, I’m not complaining.

Elsie Ames was a gifted physical comedian who should have been allowed to star on her own and develop her own style in film.  At least working with Keaton she can do compatible scenes as far as the physical comedy goes - if not character.  But Langdon?  Forget it.  Not even remotely a match.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
As far as being a Columbia short, pretty entertaining.  The washroom and bowling stuff has some pretty messy and destructive slapstick and reminded me of some of the real old Sennett stuff in spirit - think DOUGH AND DYNAMITE, one of the better Chaplin Keystones.  Just destructive and messy for the heck of it, I’m not complaining.

Elsie Ames was a gifted physical comedian who should have been allowed to star on her own and develop her own style in film.  At least working with Keaton she can do compatible scenes as far as the physical comedy goes - if not character.  But Langdon?  Forget it.  Not even remotely a match.

I agree wholeheartedly with these two paragraphs.
#1 fire kibitzer