Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Chump Takes a Bump (1939) - Charley Chase

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031156/

We're back in Charley Chase territory with this one.  And whenever Del Henderson is present, interesting comedy results.

The opening scenes are funny and fresh for a change.  It's hilarious the way Del sucks up to Charley with the chair, the cigar, and the raise all with his promise of help.  It really is a great set-up for things.  It's great how we have the setup involving the customer being upset because he saw an employee cheating on his wife... and then Del takes him out to dinner accompanied by his own personal side chick.

The night club scene is a bit stupendous at points.  Elements here are borrowed from MIGHTY LIKE A MOOSE, and this pales.  For one thing, Del spills his drink on Charley, and a few moments later Charley is acting like he's drunk.  Something is clearly missing here.  A little too convenient that there's a live radio broadcast from such a small club, but a minor thing. There is also supposed to be elements borrowed from another short of his.  Nevertheless, it's typical Charley Chase surrealism.

The scene where Charley thinks he's blind is a fantastic lead-in to the scene in his house.  From there, it's interesting watching Ann Doran be the one panicking, running, and smacking herself to hide her ploy.  She has really slid nicely into the role of being Charley's female lead in these and will remain to the tragic end.

Overall, this is a good comedy even if it pales compared to the shorts from which it borrowed.  I laughed a lot during this one.

9/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

I appreciate that, even though the basic idea is obviously taken from MIGHTY LIKE A MOOSE, it’s not just a direct copy of MIGHTY LIKE A MOOSE. They change enough so that it does feel fresh, and I think it could even be argued that the setup makes a bit more sense than in MIGHTY LIKE A MOOSE...kind of. It’s obvious that Chase is drunk when he first meets his wife at the club, so it does seem understandable that he wouldn’t immediately recognize his wife, especially since she has changed her appearance. The reason for him being drunk makes no sense, but it does still explain the misunderstanding better than in MIGHTY LIKE A MOOSE. When he gets back to the house, it does seem less believable, but, again, the hair style is noticeably different, in addition to the hair color, and Doran clearly is changing her voice between when she acts as the wife and when she acts as the other woman.

Lots of good comedy here. I like Chase and Henderson at the beginning with the ink, and I also like when Henderson is suddenly so nice to Chase on the phone, and Charley does those silent reactions. I do have to admit the radio thing does seem to be a bit too convenient, but the whole dancing bit is still pretty fun. Most of the last third is a bit more like MIGHTY LIKE A MOOSE, especially with all the running around the house, but it is still done in a unique way with Doran pretending to be in two places at once. It’s not quite as funny as Chase beating himself up, but it’s still pretty fun on its own. And yes, Chase thinking he’s blind is also extremely funny.

Going back to the story, one minor issue I have is with how the situation with Henderson does kind of stop with no real resolution. At one point, it seems like Henderson is mad at Chase for dancing with his girlfriend, and I would have thought Chase leaving would have put his boss in a spot since the client was there. I can only imagine his boss getting super mad at him the next day and even firing him. So, yeah, that and the weird way Chase gets drunk could have been handled a bit better, but overall I do still find it to be a pretty good alternative to MIGHTY LIKE A MOOSE, even though I do think MIGHTY LIKE A MOOSE is the funnier film.

9 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Dr. Mabuse

No match for Charley Chase's silent classics, but still one of his best Columbia two-reelers. The laughs never let up, with extra spark provided by Ann Doran and Del Henderson. I love the moment when Charley barks like Curly Howard at the 14:47 mark.

9/10

Offline metaldams

Agreed, very much inspired by MIGHTY LIKE A MOOSE.  Something’s jogging my memory this may be inspired by one of the talking Roach shorts too, but I don’t remember.  Just a reminder I need to revisit those DVD sets, which I think I’m going to do soon.  Perhaps it’s the appearance of Del Henderson, who was wonderful in those Roach films and is also great here - that reminds me of Roach.  Henderson always has this great way of playing sleazy hypocrites so matter of factly.  Very comical, and the way he hides drinks and womanizing from his puritanical customer are always good for a laugh.

Chase is fantastic here as a drunk and doing his dance bit in the club, but the real highlight is the interplay he shows with Ann Doran.  These two are really starting to gel as a team and again, I think at this point it’s good Chase is a domesticated guy who plays comically inept when trying to be the man about town, I find it more believable.  The blind gag is great as well and this overall one of the better Columbia shorts for sure.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Agreed, very much inspired by MIGHTY LIKE A MOOSE.  Something%u2019s jogging my memory this may be inspired by one of the talking Roach shorts too, but I don%u2019t remember.  Just a reminder I need to revisit those DVD sets, which I think I%u2019m going to do soon.  Perhaps it%u2019s the appearance of Del Henderson, who was wonderful in those Roach films and is also great here - that reminds me of Roach.  Henderson always has this great way of playing sleazy hypocrites so matter of factly.  Very comical, and the way he hides drinks and womanizing from his puritanical customer are always good for a laugh.

I believe you're thinking of LOOSER THAN LOOSE (1930).
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline metaldams

I believe you're thinking of LOOSER THAN LOOSE (1930).

Read the synopsis online and you’re probably right.  The short, which I’ve seen once, did ring a bell when I read it.  Not a straight remake, though.  THE CHUMP TAKES A BUMP sounds like a combination of LOOSER THAN LOOSE and MIGHTY LIKE A MOOSE, the latter which I’m much more familiar with.

Yeah, time to revisit those Roach talkie Chase DVD’s for sure.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Read the synopsis online and you’re probably right.  The short, which I’ve seen once, did ring a bell when I read it.  Not a straight remake, though.  THE CHUMP TAKES A BUMP sounds like a combination of LOOSER THAN LOOSE and MIGHTY LIKE A MOOSE, the latter which I’m much more familiar with.

Yeah, time to revisit those Roach talkie Chase DVD’s for sure.

This is correct.  I knew this and failed to mention it in my review.
#1 fire kibitzer