Poll

What do you want to discuss first?

Andy Clyde co-starring Shemp
Finish up Laurel and Hardy
The Columbia non-Stooge shorts
Ted Healy and his Stooges
Buster Keaton Columbia shorts
Buster Keaton silent productions
Other films guest starring or starring famous Stooge foils (e.g. Vernon Dent)
I Love Lucy
Star Trek: The Original Series
Something else (make suggestions in comments)

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This should give us about 8 weeks to decide, as in that amount of time we should be finished with the DeRita feature films and the Besser solo shorts.  This will mean that Paul Pain (a.k.a. Alex) will be taking over the reviews.  And boy are there lots of things to choose from.  Depending on what material I can find, we will be doing either one or two.  Mood swings decide your fate.

Three rules I will have:
  (1) The material must be something that is still on air (e.g. someone could eventually watch the episodes and catch up even if years from now).
  (2) If one cannot be met, it must be available on YouTube.  This will remove some shorts as, while available on VHS or DVD, they aren't on YouTube, and I haven't the VHS/DVDs.
  (3) Some of my suggestions are ridiculous and are just there because I know I would have fun and could competently lead the reviews.

Unfortunately, with the C3/Sony spies afoot these parts, posting a link to YouTube may very well get a channel I was planning to do 10-20 reviews from shut down.  If this does occur, I will probably press ahead anyway just because some of these shorts are so bloody fun or interesting that you (hopefully) will find yourself sitting down to watch a short and annoying the missus after a 1-3 hour binge.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Buster Keaton silent would be awesome and my number one, as would finishing up Laurel and Hardy...if people would participate in the latter.

I'll participate either way.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Offline 7stooges

I would either want to see L&H finished up - unless the issue was that it just wasn't getting enough feedback - or move on to the Healy era. Since nearly everything touched by the Stooges has already been covered, that would be the next logical step, in my opinion.

Offline CurlyFan1934

I want to see L&H finished up because I haven't been a consistent poster on the Weekly Episode Discussions, but I definitely would be if we were able to watch the remaining films. I have all of the sound ones on DVD that I would be willing to take out and re-watch classics and watch some of the ones I've never seen before.

Offline luke795

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
What about The New Three Stooges cartoons?

I decide to do this, it will be as a lump doing the whole show in one review.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I decide to do this, it will be as a lump doing the whole show in one review.

Don't blame you.  One episode at a time would be beyond mind numbing.  Good solution.

I still don't have the set with all the shorts.  Just have the set that has maybe the first sixteen entries or something, and it's been years since I've watched it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Don't blame you.  One episode at a time would be beyond mind numbing.  Good solution.

I still don't have the set with all the shorts.  Just have the set that has maybe the first sixteen entries or something, and it's been years since I've watched it.

I've never seen any.   [pie]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Stoogephan

I've never seen any.   [pie]
Well, here you go. Typical stuff, pies a-flying. The animation is pretty awful, the live stuff is a bit better. Once you're on youtube you can check out other cartoons too.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Because of circumstances (mostly that I can't watch talkie L&H shorts due to my living circumstances), we will be starting on Saturday, February 4, 2017, with the Roscoe Arbuckle/Buster Keaton film THE BUTCHER BOY.

I can hardly wait!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Because of circumstances (mostly that I can't watch talkie L&H shorts due to my living circumstances), we will be starting on Saturday, February 4, 2017, with the Roscoe Arbuckle/Buster Keaton film THE BUTCHER BOY.

I can hardly wait!

Going back to the Arbuckles, wow!  I would have personally started with Keaton solo proper, but hey, that's cool, I can definitely talk the Arbuckles too.  Looking forward to doing Keaton!  Hope others will be joining in.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline CurlyFan1934

I can hardly wait!
I will be an active contributor! Keaton and his movies have always fascinated me, but I just haven't gotten around to seeing a ton of them. I've basically seen THE GENERAL and CONEY ISLAND among a few others and that's it. I'm excited to start the discussions!

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
The best part about the early pre-1923 Arbuckle/Keaton and solo Keaton shorts is that they are public domain!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

The best part about the early pre-1923 Arbuckle/Keaton and solo Keaton shorts is that they are public domain!

True that. 

Should be a fun journey overall, and I really hope people participate.  Buster Keaton is an influence on The Three Stooges gag and story wise, and a hell of a lot of fun.  To you guys who don't think you'll participate, I challenge you to watch the links Paul posts and participate.  You'll become a fan.
- Doug Sarnecky

I would vote for anything that can be seen without buying new DVDs, or CDs, or whatever, in other words anything we can see online for free. I simply have too, too many clamshells in my house now and I'm trying to divest, with no success at all, and I'm guessing that many of us are in the same situation whether we admit it or not.  I would be fine with, say, a weekly bulletin reading Hey, boys and girls, go to xyz site and check out this 1945 relevant ( ie Andy Clyde, Buster Keaton, Schilling and Lane,  Healy and his Stooges, etc, etc, etc. ) either directly or vaguely stooge-related  flick.  We don't have to be strictly personnel-oriented or chronologically consistent. 
  I'll give a good, easy example:  for the last year, youTube has featured the absolute finest example of Abbott and Costello's Who's On First, from their TV episode Retired Actors' Home.  It's a scream, and it's in what amounts to hi-def.  This is THE definitive version, and as of today I don't think it's been widely seen.  Their version in The Naughty Nineties is nothing compared to this one.  It would be lots of fun to discuss that, incomparable as it is.  Likewise, diligent research turned up just last week a Danny Thomas 1965 TV special that featured the Stooges, Martha Raye, Ruth Buzzi, and about six minutes of idiotic burlesque-style humor.  Let's talk about that. Two weeks from now we will have covered everything from 1930 to 1965 in what I would say, immodestly, is a legitimate and scholarly manner, and since from now on the career of the Stooges is decidedly more scattershot, I'd say that our comments could be the same.  Paul Pain, this approach would put extra pressure on you, since you would have to dig up and introduce these random vaguely stooge-related entries, whatever they may be, always remembering that no one wants to buy anything. And remember, the last few months, there's only been about ten of us participating, plus if anything, after Outlaws, that number is likely to go down.  This is a thankless gig you've signed up for, pal.
     Oh and yes, my vote would be for the Keaton Columbias, for free of course.  I'm kidding.  I would actually buy the Keaton Columbias, if I could find them and if they were cheap enough.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I would vote for anything that can be seen without buying new DVDs, or CDs, or whatever, in other words anything we can see online for free. I simply have too, too many clamshells in my house now and I'm trying to divest, with no success at all, and I'm guessing that many of us are in the same situation whether we admit it or not.  I would be fine with, say, a weekly bulletin reading Hey, boys and girls, go to xyz site and check out this 1945 relevant ( ie Andy Clyde, Buster Keaton, Schilling and Lane,  Healy and his Stooges, etc, etc, etc. ) either directly or vaguely stooge-related  flick.  We don't have to be strictly personnel-oriented or chronologically consistent. 
  I'll give a good, easy example:  for the last year, youTube has featured the absolute finest example of Abbott and Costello's Who's On First, from their TV episode Retired Actors' Home.  It's a scream, and it's in what amounts to hi-def.  This is THE definitive version, and as of today I don't think it's been widely seen.  Their version in The Naughty Nineties is nothing compared to this one.  It would be lots of fun to discuss that, incomparable as it is.  Likewise, diligent research turned up just last week a Danny Thomas 1965 TV special that featured the Stooges, Martha Raye, Ruth Buzzi, and about six minutes of idiotic burlesque-style humor.  Let's talk about that. Two weeks from now we will have covered everything from 1930 to 1965 in what I would say, immodestly, is a legitimate and scholarly manner, and since from now on the career of the Stooges is decidedly more scattershot, I'd say that our comments could be the same.  Paul Pain, this approach would put extra pressure on you, since you would have to dig up and introduce these random vaguely stooge-related entries, whatever they may be, always remembering that no one wants to buy anything. And remember, the last few months, there's only been about ten of us participating, plus if anything, after Outlaws, that number is likely to go down.  This is a thankless gig you've signed up for, pal.
     Oh and yes, my vote would be for the Keaton Columbias, for free of course.  I'm kidding.  I would actually buy the Keaton Columbias, if I could find them and if they were cheap enough.

Have no fears!  Schilling and Lane (et al.) and the Keaton Columbias are (1) available online and (2) on the agenda!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

I'll also be taking part in the Keaton discussions. Really looking forward to them!
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Seamus

I can hardly wait!

This is good timing, I just picked up the blu-ray of Keaton's silent shorts a little while back, and I just watched the first two (including BUTCHER BOY) last week, so my viewing might be in synch with these reviews for once.

Offline CurlyFan1934

I can hardly wait!
So, about the Keaton discussion: Are we doing his feature films at all? If so, would we just be doing the feature films where he is featured prominently or would we also be doing the ones where he has supporting roles?

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
So, about the Keaton discussion: Are we doing his feature films at all? If so, would we just be doing the feature films where he is featured prominently or would we also be doing the ones where he has supporting roles?

We'll be doing the ones starring Buster.  Whether they'll be in order with his short subject films is TBD.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:52:59 AM by Paul Pain »
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline CurlyFan1934

We'll be doing the ones starring Buster.  Whether they'll be in order with his short subject films is TBD.
Okay. Good. Because there are a couple of assorted short subjects and feature films where he's only in a tenth of the film, so it seems like it would be a bit odd if we would review those films. However, very much looking forward to the Buster Keaton discussion and I'm glad that you're starting with the Roscoe Arbuckle shorts as this is where his character really started to take shape and started to evolve into the Buster that would become famous in films like The General.

Edit: I corrected by grammar in my original post, so I corrected it in this post where my post was quoted.

Alex (Paul Pain)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:54:04 AM by Paul Pain »

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Coming back to this...

Would folks be more willing to participate if I started doing some kind of talkies on the side?  I can't guarantee weekly until I have better circumstances, but it's something?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Coming back to this...

Would folks be more willing to participate if I started doing some kind of talkies on the side?  I can't guarantee weekly until I have better circumstances, but it's something?

I really just think it's lack of interest outside of The Stooges.  I'm just thankful for the few who are participating, and think there's a chance another person or two may join in with Keaton proper.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Get yourselves ready, folks.  This week, we'll be reviewing Buster Keaton's ONE WEEK!
#1 fire kibitzer