Poll

What do you want to discuss first?

Andy Clyde co-starring Shemp
Finish up Laurel and Hardy
The Columbia non-Stooge shorts
Ted Healy and his Stooges
Buster Keaton Columbia shorts
Buster Keaton silent productions
Other films guest starring or starring famous Stooge foils (e.g. Vernon Dent)
I Love Lucy
Star Trek: The Original Series
Something else (make suggestions in comments)

Offline Umbrella Sam

Get yourselves ready, folks.  This week, we'll be reviewing Buster Keaton's ONE WEEK!

*prepares parade*

“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline GOTBSB

Out of curiosity, are we going to do the MGM Healy shorts anytime soon? They might be very interesting to discuss.

Offline metaldams

Out of curiosity, are we going to do the MGM Healy shorts anytime soon? They might be very interesting to discuss.

The cartoons are a bit much.  There's too many of them and the whole repeated wrap around live action thing gets confusing....on that I'll pass.  However, the Healy shorts, the few that there are, I'll seriously consider once I'm done with the Keaton shorts in a few months.  Being a Stooge site, I actually think that's a good idea.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
The cartoons are a bit much.  There's too many of them and the whole repeated wrap around live action thing gets confusing....on that I'll pass.  However, the Healy shorts, the few that there are, I'll seriously consider once I'm done with the Keaton shorts in a few months.  Being a Stooge site, I actually think that's a good idea.

I had thought I was going to do these once I had attained independence.

Joke was on me.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I had thought I was going to do these once I had attained independence.

Joke was on me.

I wasn't aware you still were doing reviews, but since you are, take all the time you need to get settled.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I wasn't aware you still were doing reviews, but since you are, take all the time you need to get settled.

Go ahead and do them.  I will be able to participate on these, but I picked a school in an area where no graduate student can reasonably afford to live.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Speaking of this... if I hauled some silent comedies (since that's about all I can do right now), would y'all be willing to participate?  I make no promises about getting "big" names.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Speaking of this... if I hauled some silent comedies (since that's about all I can do right now), would y'all be willing to participate?  I make no promises about getting "big" names.

I suppose as long as they’re easily accessible, I would. Did you have any particular choices in mind?
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Go ahead and do them.  I will be able to participate on these, but I picked a school in an area where no graduate student can reasonably afford to live.

As soon as I'm done with Keaton, will dive into the Healy stuff, meaning SOUP TO NUTS and the MGM shorts.

Good luck in school.  I refinance student loans for a living and know how ridiculous the cost of college is.  It's a bubble waiting to burst.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Go as obscure as you want, you know I'll participate.  If you want to go bigger names, Harold Lloyd's two and three reelers should all be on YouTube and the 12 Chaplin Mutual shorts as well would be another idea, but you do what you want.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I was thinking Harold Lloyd or Charlie Chaplin, if I can stomach their makeup.  Maybe we'll dive into Larry Semon if I find any.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline ProfessorStooge

Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, the Bowery Boys, and Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle were what came to my mind.

Offline metaldams

Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, the Bowery Boys, and Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle were what came to my mind.

The Arbuckle films with Keaton are already done in the Buster Keaton section.  Paul Pain reviewed one of the talkies Shemp was in in the solo Stooge section.  Outside of that, maybe a few random ones, but he did so many films and so many are lost or hard to obtain.

Bowery Boys would be cool, take about a year, and I would consider doing if more people would show interest.  Surprised more Stooge fans don’t like them, I maintain The Three Stooges should have been making features like that starting in 1953, or maybe earlier.

As for Martin and Lewis, I’d have to do a lot of shopping.  I’ve only seen four or five of their films as I’m not a big fan.  Who knows, maybe one day.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline hiramhorwitz

Bowery Boys would be cool, take about a year, and I would consider doing if more people would show interest.  Surprised more Stooge fans don’t like them, I maintain The Three Stooges should have been making features like that starting in 1953, or maybe earlier.

I haven't seen the Bowery Boys films in many years, although I watched them religiously every weekend in the late 1960s and early 1970s, and found them, with rare exceptions, to be outrageously funny and entertaining.  It's about time I take stock of my life and purchase the full set of their films.  If I like them half as much now as I liked them in the past, it would significantly more than 95% of the current films masquerading as comedies.  Here's one vote for reviewing the Bowery Boys.

Offline metaldams

I haven't seen the Bowery Boys films in many years, although I watched them religiously every weekend in the late 1960s and early 1970s, and found them, with rare exceptions, to be outrageously funny and entertaining.  It's about time I take stock of my life and purchase the full set of their films.  If I like them half as much now as I liked them in the past, it would significantly more than 95% of the current films masquerading as comedies.  Here's one vote for reviewing the Bowery Boys.

Del Lord directed one of the earlier efforts, Christine McIntyre appeared in a film, Edward Bernds directed a bunch after he left Columbia, Leo Gorcey is a younger Moe with a great understanding of how to butcher the English language and Huntz Hall was a friend and great admirer of Shemp.  Glad you’d be interested, one I wouldn’t mind doing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline hiramhorwitz

Del Lord directed one of the earlier efforts, Christine McIntyre appeared in a film, Edward Bernds directed a bunch after he left Columbia, Leo Gorcey is a younger Moe with a great understanding of how to butcher the English language and Huntz Hall was a friend and great admirer of Shemp.  Glad you’d be interested, one I wouldn’t mind doing.

Not to mention a couple of Emil Sitka appearances.....

Offline metaldams

Not to mention a couple of Emil Sitka appearances.....

That’s right!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline luke795

Offline metaldams

The Charley Chase sound shorts.

The final volume of Roach shorts has to be released first before I’d even consider, but that’s an interesting possibility.  I do enjoy the Chase shorts as a whole.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

The Abbott and Costello Show.

The thought’s crossed my mind.  Definitely their best stuff for the most part.  We’ll see.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline ProfessorStooge

Here's a couple more. Olsen and Johnson, and Bing Crosby and Bob Hope's Road to... series.

Offline metaldams

Here's a couple more. Olsen and Johnson, and Bing Crosby and Bob Hope's Road to... series.

Olsen and Johnson I’ve hardly seen enough of. 

The Road movies I enjoy very much, but there’s only a handful of them.  If I were to go that route, I may look into including Bob Hope solo.

I’d love to do W.C. Fields, Charlie Chaplin, Harold Lloyd and Harry Langdon, but not sure how many participants I’d get.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I figured out what I’m going to do when done with Abbott and Costello.  I will review...........nobody in particular.  I have decided when the time comes, I will start a new board and review whatever the heck old comedy film I want.  Meaning one week I might do a Chaplin feature, the next week an obscure Columbia short, then maybe W.C. Fields....etc.   Maybe even a Ritz Brothers film to make Luke happy. :-) You get the idea.  Since I’ve been doing this almost every weekend for about six years now, I think mixing up comedians and keeping myself and everyone else guessing will keep things fresh.  But again, I’m finishing up Abbott and Costello first.
- Doug Sarnecky