Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Are the 190 Stooges shorts coming to Blu-Ray anytime soon?

Offline QuinceHead

Hey everybody,

I was wondering if anybody out there knows if Sony has any plans to remaster and re-release the 190 Three Stooges shorts on Blu-Ray in the near future?

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline Squirrelbait

Nothing that we know of in the near future.
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline Myren

What about on Ultra HD disc?
Kinda joking a bit there. While it is nice to see the Stooges as clear as possible, how much sharper and clearer can a film that was made 100 year ago be? (Note I know the first Stooge short was made in 1934 and is not 100 years old yet.) And I might be the only one, but i thought the DVD format set has a great picture. Maybe because I have old eyeballs. Just watching these shorts on DVD you can now see all the strings and such that where used to create the special effects. As well as all the fake Shemps you can shake a stick at. But it is what it is. And I very much enjoy watching them over and over to this day.

Please do not think I am complaining, or trying to pick a fight, just thinking out loud here.

Offline Tony Bensley

What about on Ultra HD disc?
Kinda joking a bit there. While it is nice to see the Stooges as clear as possible, how much sharper and clearer can a film that was made 100 year ago be? (Note I know the first Stooge short was made in 1934 and is not 100 years old yet.) And I might be the only one, but i thought the DVD format set has a great picture. Maybe because I have old eyeballs. Just watching these shorts on DVD you can now see all the strings and such that where used to create the special effects. As well as all the fake Shemps you can shake a stick at. But it is what it is. And I very much enjoy watching them over and over to this day.

Please do not think I am complaining, or trying to pick a fight, just thinking out loud here.
Hi Myren!

Up to about 2 years ago, I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you regarding just how much better can an old Black & White picture be?  However, viewing the 50th Anniversary Blu-ray of A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (1964) was a revelation for me, even though our TV only displays 720p!

That said, The Three Stooges shorts issued by Sony do look great, indeed about as good as can be expected on the DVD format.  In fact, from what I've seen, only the 3D shorts really suffer for not being on Blu-ray--Perhaps Sony could issue these with a few other shorts on Blu-ray (UHD is too new, and too niche for any chance of success, at least at the present!) as a test release?  My understanding is most, if not all 190 shorts were scanned in 1080p HD around the mid '00s, so no restoration should be needed!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Tony
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:49:54 AM by Tony Bensley »

Offline Myren

@Tony Bensley nice.

Like I said I was just pondering out loud about this post. And you might indeed be correct, it might took like it was filmed today for all I know. It is super clear on my tv's. I am using a blu ray player hooked into a Hi Def tv, so no issues there. But I am happy with the dvd's and not having to spend money again to re buy the shorts. (again, again) I was just putting my 2 cents out there. :)

Offline Tony Bensley

@Tony Bensley nice.

Like I said I was just pondering out loud about this post. And you might indeed be correct, it might took like it was filmed today for all I know. It is super clear on my tv's. I am using a blu ray player hooked into a Hi Def tv, so no issues there. But I am happy with the dvd's and not having to spend money again to re buy the shorts. (again, again) I was just putting my 2 cents out there. :)
The DVDs do look great!  While decent Blu-rays could be done with the existing 1080p transfers, there are those who ascribe to initially scanning 35mm Film in 4K for better results (The aforementioned 50th Anniversary Edition of A HARD DAY'S NIGHT was initially scanned in 4K!), which I tend to assume that Sony wouldn't be in for doing at the present.  That's one reason I'd suggest doing an initial test volume that includes the 3D shorts, as I suspect they'd be the likeliest to significantly benefit from even a 1080p HD presentation!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline TwoOunceBrain

• Grapehead
  • Stooges fan since 1993.

Offline Black Louie

Just wanted to let everyone know that Twilight Time is releasing both 3D Stooges shorts, Pardon My Backfire and Spooks!, as an extra on The Mad Magician 3D blu-ray release coming January 17. Preorders start on January 4 at 4pm eastern time. If you don't have a 3D HDTV set, it should automatically display in 2D.

If you're not familiar with Twilight Time, they're a small label which releases titles in limited editions of 3,000. Once the title sells out, that's it although a couple titles have been re-released. I'm not sure how quickly this title will sell out (eighties and nineties horror titles tend to sell out the fastest) so this is a heads up. Here are the links:

http://www4.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/32373/THE-MAD-MAGICIAN-3D-2D-1954/

http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/mad-magician-the-3d-blu-ray/

Attention moderators: please feel free to move this post to a separate thread if you need to.

Offline Tony Bensley

Just wanted to let everyone know that Twilight Time is releasing both 3D Stooges shorts, Pardon My Backfire and Spooks!, as an extra on The Mad Magician 3D blu-ray release coming January 17. Preorders start on January 4 at 4pm eastern time. If you don't have a 3D HDTV set, it should automatically display in 2D.

If you're not familiar with Twilight Time, they're a small label which releases titles in limited editions of 3,000. Once the title sells out, that's it although a couple titles have been re-released. I'm not sure how quickly this title will sell out (eighties and nineties horror titles tend to sell out the fastest) so this is a heads up. Here are the links:

http://www4.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/32373/THE-MAD-MAGICIAN-3D-2D-1954/

http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/mad-magician-the-3d-blu-ray/

Attention moderators: please feel free to move this post to a separate thread if you need to.
This is fantastic news!

The second website lists the Stooges shorts as both 3-D and 2-D, so they should be playable on non 3D devices, as you stated!

Unfortunately for me, I'm short of available funds at present!  Otherwise, I'd be all in for this, despite not having 3-D setup!  Perhaps, I'll get this a few months down the road?

Hopefully, the 3-D for these will be much improved!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Tony Bensley

I wish this thread bump represented some new HD Three Stooges releases, but sadly, it's an expression of disappointment that the two 3-D shorts on THE MAD MAGICIAN (1953) Blu-ray by Twilight Time STILL represents the last Stooges release in anything other than the SD format.  Not even so much as any HD digital download or streaming crumbs have been in the offing, that I'm aware of.  :(

Unfortunately, I was never able to purchase the aforementioned TT Blu-ray, as personal funds have been rather tight; plus with manufacturers having pulled out of 3-D TV, I don't expect to ever remotely be in the market for whatever highly priced used sets might be available via aftermarket vendors, anyway.

At this point, I assume that the chances of a Blu-ray release of the 190 shorts ever occurring are slim to none.  Frankly, I'm surprised HD versions of the shorts haven't even been made available for streaming, as I'd think the Stooges should be popular enough for that platform, at least.

Ah well!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Marshall

I wish The Stooges shorts were out on Blu-ray, too. The DVD's do look good. Well, we don't have Laurel and Hardy and The Little Rascals/Our Gangy out on Blu-ray either. Like The Stooges, they do have nice DVD sets available, too. BTW, the A Hard Day's Night Blu-ray on Criterion Collection does look really good.

Marshall

Offline Tony Bensley

I wish The Stooges shorts were out on Blu-ray, too. The DVD's do look good. Well, we don't have Laurel and Hardy and The Little Rascals/Our Gangy out on Blu-ray either. Like The Stooges, they do have nice DVD sets available, too. BTW, the A Hard Day's Night Blu-ray on Criterion Collection does look really good.

Marshall
I have that A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (1964) Blu-ray Criterion set. I agree that it looks (And sounds) fantastic!  I have all of the above on DVD sets, as well!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Larrys#1

Blu-Ray is becoming obsolete since physical media is dying. More people are streaming today. That said, it would be nice if these shorts were available to stream in HD. I got the whole collection on VUDU to stream, which were only available in SD. While they look great as is, it would've been better if they were in HD, especially for some of us that own large TV screens.

I don't care for the Curly Joe flicks, so I wish the priority were given to the shorts instead when releasing them in HD.

Offline Tony Bensley

Blu-Ray is becoming obsolete since physical media is dying. More people are streaming today. That said, it would be nice if these shorts were available to stream in HD. I got the whole collection on VUDU to stream, which were only available in SD. While they look great as is, it would've been better if they were in HD, especially for some of us that own large TV screens.

I don't care for the Curly Joe flicks, so I wish the priority were given to the shorts instead when releasing them in HD.
Most of The Three Stooges Curly Joe Features are already in HD and on Blu-ray, anyway.  It would be nice if THE THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT (1962) got an HD/Blu-ray release, though!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Larrys#1

Most of The Three Stooges Curly Joe Features are already in HD and on Blu-ray, anyway.  It would be nice if THE THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT (1962) got an HD/Blu-ray release, though!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Thats what bugs me. Why were the Curly Joe features released in HD but not the 190 shorts? Shouldn't it be vice versa? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think better treatment should be given to the shorts while those Curly Joe flicks can be burnt at the stake.

Offline metaldams

Thats what bugs me. Why were the Curly Joe features released in HD but not the 190 shorts? Shouldn't it be vice versa? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think better treatment should be given to the shorts while those Curly Joe flicks can be burnt at the stake.

There are a lot less Curly Joe flicks and a company like Mill Creek would gladly have those films licensed to them.

190 Stooge shorts would be an expensive project Sony would release.  As cool as a Blu Ray release would be, I’m still thankful for those DVD sets.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

There are a lot less Curly Joe flicks and a company like Mill Creek would gladly have those films licensed to them.

190 Stooge shorts would be an expensive project Sony would release.  As cool as a Blu Ray release would be, I’m still thankful for those DVD sets.

Very true. I could be wrong, but I always thought the shorts were scanned in HD for those DVD sets. So I figured the HD scans are already handy and it shouldn't be a lot of work to release in HD. Doesn't have to be on Blu-ray, but it would be cool if we can stream them in HD on Amazon Prime, GooglePlay, Vudu, etc.

Offline Smokey Moe

Honestly, I think that Sony should give us one last hoorah by releasing another Stooges collection on Blu-Ray with loads of bonus material... Not only would it be nice to have the existing Ultimate Collection in HD, but it would be a good excuse to finally get out some of the material that has not been yet released (specifically the Screen Snapshots appearances).

Unfortunately, the likeliness of this is slim at this point, but I suppose one can dream.

Offline metaldams

Honestly, I think that Sony should give us one last hoorah by releasing another Stooges collection on Blu-Ray with loads of bonus material... Not only would it be nice to have the existing Ultimate Collection in HD, but it would be a good excuse to finally get out some of the material that has not been yet released (specifically the Screen Snapshots appearances).

Unfortunately, the likeliness of this is slim at this point, but I suppose one can dream.

If another set was never released, I can be happy with what we have now.  Even if not HD, the DVD’s still look good, are organized and more than watchable.

While HD would be nice, I would personally be excited hearing audio commentaries for the shorts.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Smokey Moe

If another set was never released, I can be happy with what we have now.  Even if not HD, the DVD’s still look good, are organized and more than watchable.

While HD would be nice, I would personally be excited hearing audio commentaries for the shorts.

I agree! Audio commentary would be lovely!

Offline falsealarms

I just noticed Amazon currently has the 190 Stooges shorts DVD collection on sale at $34.92 for those who might be interested!

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Collection-1934-1959/dp/B01JZKX7P0/ref=tmm_dvd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

That set is junk with horrible, cardboard sleeve packaging. It also doesn't have the volume with the solo shorts.

The Ultimate Collection doesn't seem to be available anywhere right now.