The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Liberty (1929) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020094/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
http://www.lordheath.com/index.php?p=1_167_Liberty
http://www.laurelandhardycentral.com/liberty.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=87nbzoOnyvU

Watch LIBERTY in the link above.

First off, this is a thrill comedy, which means there are inevitable comparisons to Harold Lloyd.  As far as that goes, I urge all of you to please click the link above and read the wonderful write up the commentators at www.laurelandhardycentral.com did on this subject.  It's so good I don't feel as if I can add much.  I'll try anyway.  I'll simply say that Harold Lloyd only did a few thrill comedies, but he did several more films where he'd milk a simple gag and have it flow seamlessly from one comic situation to another.  Comic storytelling, if you will.  Here, on the run from the law, the boys try to get rid of their prison outfits and change into their street clothes.  As a variation on the common gag where they put on the wrong hat, here they put on the wrong pants!  Well, if you know the difference in waist sizes between both comics, that's very awkward for both men!  Anyway, for several minutes, gag after gag stems from the fact they are wearing the wrong pants and need to find a place to change into the right pair.  They even manage to sneak a crab into the baggier pair of pants, and said crab manages ways to interject itself at various points in the story.  But back to the pants, once they milk every comic possibility from the changing of the pants, it beautifully segues into the scene where they are up on the scaffold, and then we witness a thrill comedy masterpiece.  But that idea of milking a gag and telling a story with it?  Also very Harold Lloyd.

As for the scaffold stuff, again, you just don't see slapstick like this in talkies.  Even though there are camera tricks to assure the safety of the comedians, they make this truly look like they are in danger!  I love the way Stan's legs jiggle like jello almost the whole time.  I also love the whole bit with Stan balancing himself on the ladder teetering on the wooden plank so many stories above.  What a dangerous predicament.  There's one part while poor Stan is balancing for his life on that ladder where Ollie just gets on one knee and prays.  Also shows the way Ollie cares for Stan, said caring about each other more common in Laurel and Hardy as opposed to any other comedy team. That prayer got the biggest laugh out of me, no doubt the laugh brought on to relieve tension, which is what a great thrill comedy such as this should do.

My commentary is OK, but the laurelandhardycentral.com guys take the cake here, so please read their thoughts too.  Also, please watch the YouTube link above if you don't know this film.  You'll thank me later.

10/10

- Doug Sarnecky

Funny how the poster artists still haven't quite captured L&H yet.  The likenesses are quite amateurish.

Offline metaldams

Funny how the poster artists still haven't quite captured L&H yet.  The likenesses are quite amateurish.

You're right about that!  They do look almost cartoon like.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I attached a photo below of the prayer shot I am speaking of.  Truly a great comic visual!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This was scary and hysterical.  Everything got ditched just before it got to old.

Also note Tom Kennedy, a co-star in many of the Shemp Howard solos, played a part in this one.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

This short is wonderful. Starting off, this short knows how to repeat a gag, but not to the point that it gets old and tiresome. In this case, it's Laurel and Hardy trying to switch pants. There's a good variation on it with the crab in the pants that Laurel is wearing (and which later ends up with Hardy as well). The addition of James Finlayson as the store keeper is wonderful as well, as his and Hardy's surprised reactions to Laurel make for a very funny scene.

Then we get to the construction site. I'll start by saying that I absolutely love thrill comedies. They bring an extra level of excitement and I think that LIBERTY ranks up there with Lloyd's best such as NEVER WEAKEN and SAFETY LAST! As mentioned earlier, the crab helps make this more exciting since it makes Hardy's balance much worse and Laurel is constantly getting into trouble such as when he's on the ladder or when he's hanging from that separate steel girder. The ending gag of the policeman getting crushed would normally disturb me, but it's done in such a cartoonish and over-the-top way that I really don't mind.

LIBERTY is funny and exciting consistently throughout and it definitely ranks up there as one of Laurel and Hardy's best.

10 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Directed by Leo McCarey and photographed by George Stevens, "Liberty" is essential Laurel and Hardy — highlighted by a remarkable skyscraper sequence that rivals Harold Lloyd's "Safety Last." The Boys' sublime characterizations make all the difference.

10/10
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 02:10:17 AM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline HomokHarcos

Stan and Ollie escape for freedom and are on the run. They try to change clothes but end up putting on each other's pants. Of course they always get caught with their pants down, causing embarrassment for both of them. That is a prelude to the main part of the film: the thrill comedy. Harold Lloyd was the one most associated with thrill comedies, but Liberty is one of the greatest. I was very entertained watching this film, and it really felt like they were in danger up there. Popeye and Bugs Bunny did thrill comedies, but being animated I did not have the feeling of danger watching it. When I watched Liberty I was actually nervous when they were getting near the edges! I don't think thrill comedies have been ever been matched since the talkies were introduced. I like the ending seeing somebody get crushed. I wonder how they did that (it must have been a dummy).

A very enjoyable film, and my favorite Laurel and Hardy silent.