Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges New Epic Mini-Series Hey Moe! Hey Dad! DVD Set

Offline Paul Allen

And now last I checked, Amazon is down to $15.
Amazon must have sold out of their first batch at the higher price of $35.
At their new, lower price of $14.99 --   
Delivery: "Back-ordered. Due in stock June 8 -- order now to reserve yours"

>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00T5DYV6M/ref=sr_1_21_twi_1_dvd_olp?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1433476549&sr=1-21&keywords=three+stooges 

Offline Mark The Shark

On the second disc, towards the end of episode 5 ("Good Night And Good Nyuk") -- about 45 minutes in -- there is a brief clip of what looks like a color home movie shot on the set of Three Little Pirates. Moe and Curly are in costume with Moe's wife, Helen (at least I think it's her) -- is that Shemp walking around from behind them? (The whole thing is just a few seconds long.) I guess that would make sense, seeing how he was working at Columbia doing his own shorts at the time.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
On the second disc, towards the end of episode 5 ("Good Night And Good Nyuk") -- about 45 minutes in -- there is a brief clip of what looks like a color home movie shot on the set of Three Little Pirates. Moe and Curly are in costume with Moe's wife, Helen (at least I think it's her) -- is that Shemp walking around from behind them? (The whole thing is just a few seconds long.) I guess that would make sense, seeing how he was working at Columbia doing his own shorts at the time.

Yes, that's Shemp.  He was on a nearby soundstage working on BLONDIE KNOWS BEST (1946) the week that THREE LITTLE PIRATES (1946) was in production.

Offline Paul Allen

It's hard to believe that you fine Stooges fans haven't had more to say about "Hey Moe! Hey Dad!"
I just finished watching Disc 1, and what a treat it is! Paul Howard is very thorough and entertaining with his detailed delivery.

The only mistake I noticed was in Chapter 3. As Moe is speaking during an interview (off camera), the caption at the bottom of the screen states - Moe Howard WERS Interview 1980's. Well, as we all know Moe passed away on May 4, 1975, so the interview was obviously done before the 1980's. Based on the strong sound of Moe's voice, I'm guessing that it was from an interview in the 1960's... or I suppose it's possible that it could've been an excerpt taken from a radio show in the 1980's where they played a portion of an interview done a couple of decades earlier.
 [pie]

I'm getting ready to dig into Disc 2 right now!!

Offline archiezappa

I noticed that, too.  I take things like that with a grain of salt.  I just try to enjoy the fact that we have a 9 hour mini-series dedicated to the greatest comedy team of all time.  I couldn't really say much, since I've basically been overwhelmed by the thing.  It's such a huge thing!  I really think this series should air on PBS sometime.  I don't know what it would take for that to happen, but that would be the ultimate tribute.  Maybe as a part of their "American Masters" series.

Offline BeatleShemp

I really enjoyed this DVD set. Loved all of the old behind the scenes home movies.

Offline CurlyFan1934

When I got this a year ago, I watched basically Disc 1 and that was it. I just didn't have time to watch the rest of it. But a few weeks ago, I finally got around to watching Discs 2 and 3. Let me just say, the documentary as a whole was fantastic. I highly recommend it to any Stooge fan. It is very detailed, and Paul Howard does an excellent job as narrator. It includes some footage from The Three Stooges fan conventions, and never-before-seen footage taken from the Columbia shorts' sets. It is much better than some of the Stooge documentaries that rely on public domain footage as the base of the documentary. This documentary has access to all Stooge films, which improves it. There are also interviews cut in between Paul Howard's hosting featuring Whoopi Goldberg, Billy West, Leonard Maltin, The Phantom of the Movies, Joan Howard Maurer, Don Lamond, and other family members of the Stooges and longtime fans. This documentary is definitely worth any Stooge fan's time.

Offline JWF

This series has been playing on the Decades channel for those who have that on their cable systems.

Very interesting stuff.   As per usual, Ted Healy comes off pretty poorly.  Interesting that there is no sugar coating of Curly's issues, and how it was pretty much his own lifestyle choices that contributed to his untimely demise.

Offline WhyYou

I saw this on the Decades channel.Surprisingly,was actually pretty good.Got a little bit more information on the boys,and was a bit of footage of the Stooges that I had never seen.To anyone planning on watching,would recommend skipping thru the opening song,cause it really sucks.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Late to the party as usual, but I finally got around to buying this set & was really impressed. Definitely the best documentary on the boys anyone has ever put together--well worth the money in my book. Got it off ebay for about 22 bucks--don't know it that's considered a bargain, but again, a very well made piece.

And yes, Paul really gives Ted Healy the business.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Paul really gives Ted Healy the business.

As the narrator.

Paul did not script the documentary, it was done by his producing partner Frank Basile.  Paul brought the concept and family angle to the project, and by his own admission, spent decades keeping his distance from his father's career and knows very little about Ted Healy.  He relied on Frank to tell the "Three Stooges story."  Sadly, Basile bought into many of the negative, untrue legends and myths about Healy.  He notably utilized tales concocted by G. P. Skratz in "Larry, the Stooge in the Middle." 

That chapter is a black eye in what otherwise is a well-done production.

Offline Kopfy2013

Sadly, Basile bought into many of the negative, untrue legends and myths about Healy.  He notably utilized tales concocted by G. P. Skratz in "Larry, the Stooge in the Middle." 

Be a Stooge:  What are your thoughts on the Biography on Healy finished last year?
Niagara Falls

Offline 7stooges

I liked this series, even though it didn't have a whole lot of new information for Stooge buffs. But all of the info would definitely be a highlight for both new and casual fans.

There also seems to be a bit of an issue with length. Information feels repetitive at times. I definitely got the vibe that was intended to be a television mini series one might check out once a night for a couple of weeks.

Kudos to C3 for getting permission from Sony to use their library. I was really expecting nothing but the usual PD material.

This is a minor nitpick, but I would have liked if C3 had grabbed better source material for some of the clips. Footage from THE OUTLAWS IS COMING! looks like it came from a VHS source. A clip from THE ROBONIC STOOGES cartoon looks to be from somebody's personal VHS recording from a Boomerang airing. Heck, it could even be a downloaded YouTube video. Colorized material from Legend Films also pops up occasionally, for some reason.

I wasn't too keen on the usage of clips from Mel Gibson's biopic movie. Maybe my memory of the series is rotten, but I felt like the early idea of using Paul's drawings to help tell the story was gradually dropped in favor of the biopic footage.

Also not big on the usual Healy flack.

The big highlight is the rare home movie footage. I was thrilled to finally see the color behind-the-scenes material from the late-Curly era that I've been hearing so much about.

The various interviews were also a treat. Always nice to hear from Leonard Maltin and Billy West. Didn't know Whoopi was a Stooges fan.

Offline metaldams

I'm a little late coming to the party, and I completely forgot about this set, but I saw a copy locally for $5.50 and snatched it up.  About to watch this over the next few days, will post my thoughts.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Moe and Shemp made "six two-reel sport comedies" with Honus Wagner?  Man, lost film is tragic.  If I ever read that, it totally sailed over my head.  Great doc so far, getting towards the end of episode one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0832950/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Moe and Shemp made "six two-reel sport comedies" with Honus Wagner?  Man, lost film is tragic.  If I ever read that, it totally sailed over my head.  Great doc so far, getting towards the end of episode one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0832950/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2

At least a couple Three Stooges books talk about it, but there’s debate over the validity of this claim. The blog I’m linking to below talks a little about this, going so far as to provide a lobby card for SPRING FEVER, though Moe and Shemp do not appear in it. He even mentions BeAStooge at one point.

https://ourgame.mlblogs.com/lost-and-found-baseball-part-2-12163c87037b

I haven’t seen this documentary in a while, but I remember it being pretty good. What I thought was especially interesting to see was the footage of Shemp and his brothers on the set of THREE LITTLE PIRATES.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

At least a couple Three Stooges books talk about it, but there’s debate over the validity of this claim. The blog I’m linking to below talks a little about this, going so far as to provide a lobby card for SPRING FEVER, though Moe and Shemp do not appear in it. He even mentions BeAStooge at one point.

https://ourgame.mlblogs.com/lost-and-found-baseball-part-2-12163c87037b

I haven’t seen this documentary in a while, but I remember it being pretty good. What I thought was especially interesting to see was the footage of Shemp and his brothers on the set of THREE LITTLE PIRATES.

I suppose there is no absolute proof, but the fact SPRING FEVER lobby cards exist, the fact Moe refers to Wagner as "Hans" like on the lobby card  versus "Honus," as Wagner is more commonly known as, and the fact Moe would even mention films that are lost and so obscure decades after the fact means I believe Moe. I mean, who would actually remember these films other than obsessed Honus Wagner fans or someone who actually appeared in the film? Now whether the amount of films is correct, I don't know.  That said, I believe Moe when he says he appeared with Wagner.  More proof, of course, would be fantastic.

Thanks for the link.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

The behind the scenes color footage....my God!  Have a behind the scenes still from UNCIVIL WARBIRDS paused as I'm typing this, nice to see what the boys with the belles looked like in color, and Jules White in the background doing his thing.

I think the title of this thing initially threw me off....I was expecting mostly home footage.  That kind of thing is OK for one viewing.  However, what this truly is is home footage combined with a real documentary, so there's a wonderful balance of the personal and professional, with no stone left unturned.  They give props to the directors, supporting actors, writers, as well as their upbringing - wonderful.  Yeah, I would have liked to hear Ted Healy tell his side of the story (understandable why he can't, obviously), but other than that, this is brilliant and up there with the Kevin Brownlow Lloyd and Keaton docs.  The Stooges deserved this.  On episode four now, can't wait to see the rest.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Just finished the final episode, and I want to thank anyone involved who created this documentary who may be reading this.  You've outdone yourselves.

Also, Moe's kids, Paul and Joan....they look fantastic.  What health tips do they have?  LOL
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

I may soon be getting THE THREE STOOGES BIG BOX OF NYUKS 10 DVD set, as it's currently obtainable via Amazon Canada for under $22 before shipping!  While a lot of the contents are stuff I already have, I figure the HEY MOE! HEY DAD! documentary alone should make this purchase worthwhile.  It's likely between this and a book that I've long desired to get, but eBay is the only place that I've been able to find it at a possibly affordable price.  I should know in about two days which way I'm going to go with this!

CHEERS!  [pie]

EDIT:  After a veritable comedy of errors, I was able to order the new, less expensive paperback edition of LAUREL AND HARDY: THE MAGIC BEHIND THE MOVIES via Amazon Canada.  This has been a long desired edition dating back to the '00s, when it's author, Randy Skretvedt first announced he was working on a third edition of this Laurel and Hardy tome!   That I also managed to contribute a tiny tidbit of information from one of the boys short subjects for this edition is an added bonus!

Maybe next time, I'll get the Stooges HEY MOE! HEY DAD! Documentary set, in some form!  [3stooges]