Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges New Epic Mini-Series Hey Moe! Hey Dad! DVD Set

Offline hiramhorwitz

If they've already charged you and shipped the item, they shouldn't be able to charge again.  If they do, dispute it with them, Amazon, or even your credit card company.

What probably happened was that they were able to get some stock of these sets from a distributor for super cheap and thought they'd make enough profit on the original price.  Then they probably saw that Amazon clearly had the demand to justify the higher price and figured they'd jump up to something closer to Amazon's price.
I like your logic, and will let you know what happens.  Thanks.

Offline brsa11

I ordered a copy from Shop Knuckleheads and they sent me 2. I contacted them and said keep 2nd set.

So I am willing to part with 2nd sealed set  for 24.95 includes tracking shipped.  Email me at  brsa11@mail.com to make arrangements for me to ship it.

Will provide photographic proof before you order it as proof of item.

Offline Operator15

• One for all and all for me!
  • Grapehead
I like your logic, and will let you know what happens.  Thanks.

Any updates?

Personally, I'm a little annoyed.  My Moe Howard Motion Picture Employee card has a bit of separation between layers at one of the corners.  Whether it came like that or happened when reinserting it the first time I looked, I'll never know, but I'll have to be careful about displaying it.

Otherwise, I'm actually quite pleased with the quality of the memorabilia.  I'll have to get some measurements later and look into getting some frames for displaying it all.  I'm sure it'll look great with my Stoogeum postcards and my replica "False Alarms" lobby card in my current office space.

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

I got my copy yesterday and let me just say that it is REALLY well put together! I only got time to watch about 40 minutes of the first part, though.. But, from what I saw, the DVD was really great and so was the memorabilia.
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline hiramhorwitz

Don't know if it's legit, but one of the Amazon vendors (Standing Ovation) is offering it for $12.08, with a $3.99 shipping charge.  At a total cost of about sixteen bucks, I figured it was worth a shot, so I took a chance and ordered it this morning.  It's already shipped, so I should know early next week if it's the real deal.  I'll let you know if it is.
It just arrived and is legit.  I definitely feel lucky I got it as such a good price, especially so early after its release.  It's no wonder the vendor raised their price and is now offering it at $20.99 plus $3.99 for shipping.  For once, my timing was right!

Offline Paul Allen

Don't know if it's legit, but one of the Amazon vendors (Standing Ovation) is offering it for $12.08, with a $3.99 shipping charge.  At a total cost of about sixteen bucks, I figured it was worth a shot, so I took a chance and ordered it this morning (May 8th).
hiramhorwitz, on the night of May 7th, I decided to place an order for the same reason!  The price was too good to refuse!
I ordered two... one for my brother, and one for me!

It's always hard to pass up a good deal. $$

Offline hiramhorwitz

hiramhorwitz, on the night of May 7th, I decided to place an order for the same reason!  The price was too good to refuse!
I ordered two... one for my brother, and one for me!

It's always hard to pass up a good deal. $$
Glad to hear you were able to cash in on the savings, Paul.  That vendor's price is now about ten bucks higher!

Offline Paul Allen

I personally think it's wrong for Amazon to charge $3.99 x 2 for shipping ($7.98),
when both lightweight items were mailed to me in the same package... but whacha' gonna do? It is what it is.

At least this time the price was right for the product even if the shipping cost was too much.

Offline Paul Allen

Offline Operator15

• Grapehead
I'll do better than any of those prices, for those still without this set:

The picture isn't sharp enough to directly say this, but this price is good for about a month.  The Best Buy I was at today wasn't my usual, but they had at least 7-8 copies in stock.

Offline Paul Allen

From The Three Stooges link supplied in the first post of this thread (Page 1) - "The DVD collectible set will be available at Target stores May 31st."

On-line price $19.99 >> http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=The+Three+Stooges+-+Hey+Moe%21+Hey+Dad%21&category=0%7CAll%7Cmatchallpartial%7Call+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_The+Three+Stooges+-+Hey+Moe%21+Hey+Dad%21

At least we now know that Target has acknowledged the existence of the set.

Offline Operator15

• Grapehead
What a strange odyssey with this box set. 

First, ShopKnuckleheads gets it at the full $35 price. 

Then a few weeks later, Amazon gets it at almost half price but with terrible stock and stock management.  Once they seemed to get stock under control, prices jumped up to $35.

Then soon after, Best Buy finally gets it, prices it at $20, then almost immediately puts it on sale for $18.

And now, Target is finally getting it for $20, last out of the bigger retailers, when they were the first to be announced to carry it.

I don't think I've ever seen a product have so many issues with pricing AND end up released at all different times to different retailers in such a short span of time on the market.

Offline Paul Allen

Good points, Operator15.

Another strange thing about this set... "Celebrating 100 Years" ?
Concerning Moe Howard and/or The Three Stooges... What began in 1915 (or 1914 or 1916) that relates to them?

Can someone please explain this? Am I unaware of something?

Offline Operator15

• Grapehead
All I could come up with was Moe joining a riverboat performing troupe on the Mississippi River in 1914, though that seems like an odd event to focus on for this box set.

Offline Paul Allen

"Celebrating 100 Years" ?

... Moe joining a riverboat performing troupe on the Mississippi River in 1914,
though that seems like an odd event to focus on for this box set.

Makes me wanna' erase the "100" from my box
and replace it with a neatly written "85"... (85 years since "Soup to Nuts" in 1930)
That would satisfy my OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder)... [pie]

Offline Mark The Shark

I've watched quite a bit of it. It's very nicely done, and I actually have learned (or have a better understanding of) a few things I didn't know. Nothing like hearing the stories from someone who was there, or who knows family history. Also, from the preview I expected just the usual public domain B-roll clips, but there is a lot of great stuff in here, especially Howard/Horwitz family home movies and so forth. I was surprised to see that they managed to use clips of so many different Columbia and M-G-M films -- I wonder how they worked all that out without jacking the price up. I picked it up at Best Buy and it's a great deal.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I wonder how they worked all that out without jacking the price up.

They really didn't.  A hefty fee was paid to Sony, and it remains to be seen if sales at that price point will generate a return.

Offline Paul Allen

BeAStooge, glad to see you participating in this thread.  Could you please explain the "Celebrating 100 Years" printed on the front of this box set?... Is it explained by Paul Howard somewhere within the DVDs?

Anyone?... shemps#1, falsealarms, metaldams... ?

Thanks (in advance) !

Offline Mark The Shark

They really didn't.  A hefty fee was paid to Sony, and it remains to be seen if sales at that price point will generate a return.

Well, I highly recommend it. There have been a lot of documentaries on the Stooges, and a lot of "anniversary" type releases which just regurgitate the same public domain stuff. This ain't one of those. They did a very nice job. Hopefully it will pay off and encourage more quality stuff. Not that there's all that much that hasn't been released by now. You know what would be cool, if they released Three Stooges Scrapbook. Or maybe that would involve playing ball with whoever has the elements? Other than that, what else is left (that C3 would own)?

Not C3 related, but as far as anyone knows, are the Stooges' appearances on Texaco Star Theatre and Colgate Comedy Hour extant?

Offline hiramhorwitz

BeAStooge, glad to see you participating in this thread.  Could you please explain the "Celebrating 100 Years" printed on the front of this box set?... Is it explained by Paul Howard somewhere within the DVDs?

Anyone?... shemps#1, falsealarms, metaldams... ?

Thanks (in advance) !
The "memorabilia booklet" that accompanies the DVDs contains the following statement:  "Hey Moe! Hey Dad! takes us on a fascinating journey back in time over one hundred years ago when Moe Howard first began performing in 1914 on a Mississippi river boat."  I suppose that's the basis for the "Celebrating 100 Years" label.

Offline Paul Allen

The "memorabilia booklet" that accompanies the DVDs contains the following statement:  "Hey Moe! Hey Dad! takes us on a fascinating journey
back in time over one hundred years ago when Moe Howard first began performing in 1914 on a Mississippi river boat." 
I suppose that's the basis for the "Celebrating 100 Years" label.
By golly, that explains it. I haven't read the booklet yet... nor have I had time to start watching the DVDs, yet.

Thanks, hiramhorwitz!

Offline Operator15

• Grapehead
And now last I checked, Amazon is down to $15.

I swear, if they wanted to make a profit at the $35 price point, I'm really doubting it'll happen, unless the mark up percentage at $15 is still considerable.