Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Classic Comedy Thread

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

Hello, Three Stooges fans! While this forum is mainly dedicated to The Three Stooges, the General Discussion page has all sorts of Hollywood threads! So, here we can talk about Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, The Marx Brothers, Fatty Arbuckle, and all sorts of those greats. We can also talk about The Three Stooges, except if you had a specific short film of The Three Stooges in mind, go to the Weekly Episodes Discussion. They cover all their films from 1934-1946. Also, they have most of The Marx Brothers' films on there.
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline metaldams

I'm a fan of everyone you mentioned, some more than others, however, (cups hands around mouth, tilts back, and starts yelling), WHERE'S W.C. FIELDS?  You people need W.C. Fields in your lives in order to achieve a state of nirvana....and that goes for all of you.  It's as easy as spelling Carl LaFong.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=41SFTn9xHus

I'll post a top 10 comedy features soon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

Hey, Metaldams, as a W.C. Fields fan, have you ever been to Woo-Hoo?  :)

Offline metaldams

Hey, Metaldams, as a W.C. Fields fan, have you ever been to Woo-Hoo?  :)

Don't let the posey fool you.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

Don't let the posey fool you.

:laugh:

That has to be one of the all-time best entrances in motion picture history.

Offline metaldams

:laugh:

That has to be one of the all-time best entrances in motion picture history.

You ain't kidding.  The mode of transportation, the outfit, the loud personality of the man himself, simply awesome.  Any movie that has Cab Calloway singing about marajuana (When it was legal!), Burns and Allen, Franklin Pangborn, Bela Lugosi, and W.C. Fields is Metaldams approved, and through all that, Fields still manages to steal the show.  INTERNATIONAL HOUSE is the film for you folks who don't know.

Had a rough day at work, so during my lunch break, I watched the porch scene linked above on my iPhone.  I never laughed so hard at work in my life, I about lost it when he comes storming out with the meat cleaver.

I know there's Ritz Brothers love on this site, but here's another relatively obscure team I like a bit better whose films I've been watching as of late.  They were huge in their day, though.  Any guesses?

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

You ain't kidding.  The mode of transportation, the outfit, the loud personality of the man himself, simply awesome.  Any movie that has Cab Calloway singing about marajuana (When it was legal!), Burns and Allen, Franklin Pangborn, Bela Lugosi, and W.C. Fields is Metaldams approved, and through all that, Fields still manages to steal the show.  INTERNATIONAL HOUSE is the film for you folks who don't know.

Had a rough day at work, so during my lunch break, I watched the porch scene linked above on my iPhone.  I never laughed so hard at work in my life, I about lost it when he comes storming out with the meat cleaver.

I know there's Ritz Brothers love on this site, but here's another relatively obscure team I like a bit better whose films I've been watching as of late.  They were huge in their day, though.  Any guesses?

Wheeler and Woolsey, of course!  When I was a child, my mother gave me books on Vaudeville and early radio, and I read about W & W there for the first time.  [She also gave me a book called, I believe, Freaks.  I'm sure she didn't mean it personally...I think.  No, it wasn't about the Tod Browning film.]

Offline metaldams

Wheeler and Woolsey, of course!  When I was a child, my mother gave me books on Vaudeville and early radio, and I read about W & W there for the first time.  [She also gave me a book called, I believe, Freaks.  I'm sure she didn't mean it personally...I think.  No, it wasn't about the Tod Browning film.]

That's right.  Good for your Mom, by the way!  I'm really enjoying the films of theirs I've seen so far, which is maybe about half of them.  Some are harder to find, including COCKEYED CAVALIERS, which I've read in a couple of places is supposed to be their best film.  I just watched CRACKED NUTS the first time the other day, highly recommended.  Their pre-code stuff definitely shows, as their characters could definitely be womanizers at times.  Definitely more adult humor than most other comedy teams.

For an awesome book about them, from Edward Watz, the same guy who did the book about the Columbia shorts....

http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Woolsey-Vaudeville-1929-1937-McFarland/dp/0786411414/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420813821&sr=1-1&keywords=Wheeler+and+Woolsey

- Doug Sarnecky

One of my favorite sound comedies is IN THE DOUGH (1933). It stars a pair you would not imagine being seen together, Roscoe " Fatty" Arbuckle & Shemp Howard.

Sorry about that. When I typed this, I was going to write something saying, " Sorry that W.C. Fields and Harold Lloyd are not mentioned, I do not know much about either of them." However, I was in a rush so I didn't.

Offline metaldams

Sorry about that. When I typed this, I was going to write something saying, " Sorry that W.C. Fields and Harold Lloyd are not mentioned, I do not know much about either of them." However, I was in a rush so I didn't.

I was just messing around, no need to apologize.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

Here's another WC Fields line for you, Metaldams; tell me what he said in reply, and which movie it was in.

"My doctor told me I have a very bad leg."

Offline metaldams

Here's another WC Fields line for you, Metaldams; tell me what he said in reply, and which movie it was in.

"My doctor told me I have a very bad leg."

He's off his rocker...or something like that.

I know he's basically checking out Dorothy Granger's backside as he says this.
- Doug Sarnecky

By the way, I have a question about the L&H discussions: Would we also do their feature films, as we got more and more into it?

Offline metaldams

By the way, I have a question about the L&H discussions: Would we also do their feature films, as we got more and more into it?

Oh yes, absolutely we'll do their features.
- Doug Sarnecky

Oh yes, absolutely we'll do their features.
Good. Trivia for ya: In what Laurel and Hardy movie is there a reciprocal destruction fight involving Laurel, Hardy, " Fin", and Tiny Sandford? ( Tiny Sandford isn't really in the fight, though.)

Offline metaldams

Good. Trivia for ya: In what Laurel and Hardy movie is there a reciprocal destruction fight involving Laurel, Hardy, " Fin", and Tiny Sandford? ( Tiny Sandford isn't really in the fight, though.)

Big Business
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

Pretty close!  She offers her leg for inspection, and he says something along the lines of what you said.  There was a loud noise in the room when I saw the film, and all I heard was, "He's off his _____."  Not long after that he eyes her backside.  That was "The Dentist," by the way.

Hey, I just had a pretty darn good idea! Why don't we have, like, a huge " Classic Comedy Awards" thread right here on General Discussion? There could be a master of ceremonies, and at the end in true Mack Sennett style, we could have a huge virtual  [pie]! We could give awards such as " Best Double-Act", and at the end it could all lead up to " Best Comedian"! But, since it would have an obvious winner if we left in the Stooges, how about no Stooges at all? We can honor them, though! Signor Spumoni and metaldams and I can make up the questions via PM, and then we could have the huge thread! What do you say, guys?

Offline metaldams

Hey, I just had a pretty darn good idea! Why don't we have, like, a huge " Classic Comedy Awards" thread right here on General Discussion? There could be a master of ceremonies, and at the end in true Mack Sennett style, we could have a huge virtual  [pie]! We could give awards such as " Best Double-Act", and at the end it could all lead up to " Best Comedian"! But, since it would have an obvious winner if we left in the Stooges, how about no Stooges at all? We can honor them, though! Signor Spumoni and metaldams and I can make up the questions via PM, and then we could have the huge thread! What do you say, guys?

Shemp_is_Awesome78, my hands are busy enough with the weekly episode discussions, so why don't you give this some thought with the details and create this yourself.  I'll participate.
- Doug Sarnecky

Shemp_is_Awesome78, my hands are busy enough with the weekly episode discussions, so why don't you give this some thought with the details and create this yourself.  I'll participate.
Alright. Ill think of the questions & nominees very soon & will post a thread!