Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Crash Goes the Hash (1944)

metaldams · 34 · 19280

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

I actually care very little for this short. I am sad about losing Bud; Curly seems ever so slightly off-ish to me, and the dinner table bit just goes on FOREVER and it's not even that good. "Jeepers creepers; what a night!" Ugh. I do like Moe's bit about the turkey "taking a bath at 7:30 and will be well-cooked by 8 o'clock..." Makes me wonder if every woman (and some men) in the audience in the 40s laughed when he sang this? We WISH a turkey was done in a half hour! I do like some of the awesome dresses in the dinner party scene though. One blond is wearing one that I would definitely wear. But I don't get the Wonder Woman dress of the woman that Curly squirts with lemonade. Ugly, odd, and not really right for her body type.

Symone always looks good; even in just her slip. And I didn't use to like Dick Curtis because of his looks but as I've aged I've come to appreciate the oily con man performances he gives. Anyway, I'll give this one a 5.
Where have you been, Mrs. Morgan Morgan? There was a question about clothes in an episode discussion a few weeks ago that nobody could answer because you weren't there.  :(

Offline MrsMorganMorgan

• Applehead
  • I used to do toe work until I broke both ankles
Where have you been, Mrs. Morgan Morgan? There was a question about clothes in an episode discussion a few weeks ago that nobody could answer because you weren't there.  :(

OMG where? Just tell me the episode and I'm on it!
You hear that? The old lady's a crook. Let's give her the razzle-dazzle!

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

The last Curly short that gets a 10/10 from me (although No Dough Boys & Idiots Deluxe do come close), I always feel this short feels more at home during the 1942 period instead of 1944 because Curly seems more lively and energetic here than he did in most of the 1944 shorts (especially the upcoming three shorts he did), plus this is the last time we see Bud Jamison in a Stooge short (if you don't count his screams heard in "Monkey Businessmen", "Rhythm And Weep" or his Hammond Egger photo in "Three Dark Horses", I also loved the slapping scene with Moe & Curly at the end of the episode along with Moe slapping Larry just for being there! Other great scenes was the fight scene, Curly trying to peddle the lemonade, the boys trying to carve the turkey only to find that a bird was inside of it and Symona Bynoface's character kissing Curly.

Offline TwoOunceBrain

• Grapehead
  • Stooges fan since 1993.
Crash Goes the Hash is actually a remake of an earlier Columbia short, 1937's New News starring Monte Collins and Tom Kennedy. I found the original to be more funny and straightforward, but the Stooges remake is equally funny.

I have a photocopy of the shooting script that was pretty much a scene-by-scene remake of New News, but the final cut of the remake deleted some sequences that were originally written.

O K,  Two-ounce, enlighten me: first you say The Tom Kennedy one is funnier, then five words later you say they're equally funny.  Help.

Offline TwoOunceBrain

• Grapehead
  • Stooges fan since 1993.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

The last four-star Curly Classic directed by Jules White and a memorable Stooge farewell for the great Bud Jamison. "Crash Goes the Hash" has everything you want from Moe, Larry and Curly — including a wild finish with Symona Boniface.  Easily the best 1944 outing.

Thanks for the laughs, Bud.

9.5/10

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Released posthumously, "Nob Hill" (1945) was Bud Jamison's final film. He briefly appears with Vernon Dent at the 2:20 mark.

Offline metaldams

If Wikipedia is to be trusted, Jamison died a day after finishing his scene, according to his page.

Wikipedia states NOB HILL started filming June 1944, according to the film’s page.  Jamison died 9/30/1944.
- Doug Sarnecky