Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Beer & Pretzels [FWD]

Offline middlenamewayne

Got this in a PM from "lamocush":

If anyone is as avid a fan as I am, you know that in regard to Beer and Pretzels, most of the releases of this short on dvd cut the few seconds where Ted Healy runs across the street and grabs Bonnie Bonnell with his cane.  The Stooges then catch up to them.  I found the COMPLETE short on YouTube.  So my question is:  Which dvd has this COMPLETE short?  When answering, please do not say The Lost Stooges (vhs) hosted by Leonard Maltin because he talks over the opening.  The one I saw on YouTube and am looking for is the dvd where it is Beer and Pretzels in its entirety without the "introduction".

P.S.  I am new to this website and do not know how to ask this question to the general public.  Yours was the last name I saw.  Would you please re-post this to the general public.  Thank you.

lamocush

I don't think I've seen the bit he refers to myself. Also, I assume "cushy" would like info on public posting as well. As for myself, can anyone ID a film from the excerpt I discovered midway through an old VHS tape of assorted junk from TV? Starting in the middle of the short (?), the clip rapidly shuffles through a mad parade of frenzied snippets of Stooges-era music and humor, including stereotypical "coon" humor and amazing song & dance numbers from a passel of talented young Afro-Amo's, wacky "crazylegs" dancing, and rapid-fire vocalizing from one or all of the Three Ambassadors. It's like an antire revue packed into the length of a cigarette break. Title, anyone?

- mnw

Offline Squirrelbait

I actually was never aware that this was missing - good find!

However, I did notice that on my new 'Three Stooges Essential Collection' I bought at Target, it's missing the part where Ted Healy comes over to talk to the folks who are trying to order 'Pate De Foie Gras' from Moe.

I actually didn't spot it right away, but I just wondered why Moe is suddenly holding a tray in his hands.

...And speaking of 'Beer And Pretzels', I cannot for the life of me understand Porcupine's reply to Ted Healy's "I wonder what the poor people are doing tonight?" It sounds like "My Mother wanted me to be a....." something or other. Could someone help me out on this...it's been driving me mad. MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, was that overdoing it?  :o
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

ThumpTheShoes

However, I did notice that on my new 'Three Stooges Essential Collection' I bought at Target, it's missing the part where Ted Healy comes over to talk to the folks who are trying to order 'Pate De Foie Gras' from Moe.

I actually didn't spot it right away, but I just wondered why Moe is suddenly holding a tray in his hands.

...And speaking of 'Beer And Pretzels', I cannot for the life of me understand Porcupine's reply to Ted Healy's "I wonder what the poor people are doing tonight?" It sounds like "My Mother wanted me to be a....." something or other. Could someone help me out on this...it's been driving me mad. MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I don't know. My mother wanted me to be a plumber."

Lots of these (formerly) rare shorts have strange edits on the lesser, pd style compilations presumably to cover dropouts, source tape damage, digital glitches and the like. Some of those Shemp Vitaphones that got passed around from one cheap collection to the next looked particularly dreadful with obvious vhs dropouts, blue screen flashes and so on. One I have is zoomed on the lower 2/3 of the screen, but you can still see parts of the image tearing that the zoom was supposed to hide.