Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

NEW 3 STOOGES (1965) Complete Cartoon Collection, 10/15/13

BeAStooge · 59 · 33820

Linked Events

• NEW 3 STOOGES Complete Cartoon Collection on DVD: October 15, 2013 - October 21, 2013

Offline Paul Allen

From Image/Madacy to be released January 14, 2014...

The New Three Stooges 2-DVD set = Featuring 78 of the cartoons & all 40 of the live-action segments.

They got the year of premier (1965) correct on the back of this set...
>> http://www.amazon.com/New-Three-Stooges-Cartoon-Classics/dp/B00FMGPWLY/ref=sr_1_10?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1381448379&sr=1-10&keywords=The+New+Three+Stooges

ThumpTheShoes

Sitting down with this right now. It is, ah, not what it should be. Some elements are better than what I expected, some problems are worse than I anticipated.

First, all the cartoon titles I previewed were the blurred ones with the superimposed copyright notice like on the Rhino discs. The end titles are the edited ones that remove the "distributed by" credit and screw with the theme where it is cut out. The titles were, I presume, cut and pasted onto each cartoon as the same macro-blocking distortion appears before and after each full cartoon. Yeah, it's like that already.

Those titles, again?!

The cartoons.. They have the live action intros, some look better than others, but mostly they look like the ones on the Embassy videotapes with, maybe a hint of better generational clarity. I'm guessing that many of these come from the syndication tapes used by tv stations in the 80's-90's.

Many are still faded, expect no restoration or remaster. They are, happily, in the proper 4x3 aspect ratio, unlike the previous Madacy sets. And the frame-dropping issues from previous sets are corrected BUT the cartoons are plagued with intermittent picture/field dropouts that look just heinous. In its first appearance on home video, Super Everybody might have been awesome had it not had several picture problems like that.

Super Everybody, my faded 16mm copy:
New Madacy dvd:

The cd? No. Just no. Get the MCA cd for the Nonsense Songbook, as that's what is presented, here. Followed by miserably noise-reduced needle drops of Madcap Musical Nonsense tracks, mixed with the Rhino Christmas lp. I think the Christmas stuff might have been lifted from the Rhino cassette edition, as the tracks have that weird phasing throughout. But the Madcap tracks are just hideous. Swirly, tinny, no life at all. Hell, I made a homemade needle drops of that AND The Stooges in Storyland that blow this stuff out the water. They just completely missed the mark on the cd, here.

For the curious, the case is a foldout Eco-pack tucked into an embossed slipcase. You've seen 'em before, probably-- Heavy gauge paper with felt disc hubs, artwork on the outside folds only. Not a bad design, but maybe a little more heavy than a plastic keep case.

Bottom line for now is, the cartoons all seem to be there, I haven't done a full head count, though, on live action wraps and whether they are on the cartoons they should be. This set is rather okay, it just could have been so much more. Maybe I'll warm to it as I work through the content more thoroughly this week.

Offline fo.fan

What is the width of the outer spine case ?   ALSO MADACY why the horrible non-amaray case design ???  I emailed them and ripped them

ThumpTheShoes

The spine is the same width as a quarter. The packaging is really nice looking, on par with Madacy's previous 4 disc release that included the mgm shorts, cartoons and other stuff. The disc contents are listed as you unfold each panel. And at least the discs are easy to remove and replace unlike, say, some of the warner digi-pak type releases.

You know, I watched about 2 hours of the cartoons in random order this morning and the set is really not all that bad. As a current contender, it's the best of the releases so far. It's just that some of the cartoons should look better. The ones that looked terrific on the Rhino sets don't look so hot, here.

Take the live action bit "Soldiers". The Rhino mastering had deeply saturated, rich color tone-- so saturated, in fact that Moe's blue eyes were more than evident. On this new set, the picture looks older and washed-out, overly bright and contrasty.

Though there is plenty of mpeg encoding noise throughout  and the source looks to be the same as the Embassy vhs tapes, I really don't think they just copied the vhs tapes. There is some extra clarity that even I couldn't achieve when I put all those cartoons on dvd-r. They must've had some kind of master tapes available, just not any of the newer remasters. I just wish there weren't all those blackouts and picture disturbances that keep popping up. Even the copy of Super Everybody on Hulu has the same problems. Same source, I guess?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The cartoons.. They have the live action intros, some look better than others, but mostly they look like the ones on the Embassy videotapes with, maybe a hint of better generational clarity. I'm guessing that many of these come from the syndication tapes used by tv stations in the 80's-90's.

It appears that Madacy used the tape masters from which the 1984 – 1987 Embassy Home Entertainment VHS series came, not original archive material.

Looking at the DVD collection’s table of contents, the toons are theme-grouped and ordered 99.5% identical to the Embassy VHS collections.  (The 1/2-percent difference being the inclusion of # 150 “Super Everybody,” which was not in the Embassy series.)

THE NEW 3 STOOGES -  Embassy Home Entertainment VHS series

So, the 156 cartoons are NOT arranged in numerical order, as originally packaged in 1965.  Also, the opening and closing theme & credits are tacked onto each of the 156.  As originally syndicated, that was run only once, to open and close each of the 39 episodes (4 toons per episode).

Disc # 1
Embassy VHS “Bear Necessities”
     Cartoons 51, 68, 81, 88, 93, 97, 125, 135, 146
Embassy VHS “Once Upon a Time”
     Cartoons 29, 53, 72, 75, 78, 79, 99, 129, 132
Embassy VHS “Up, Up and Away”
     Cartoons 32, 49, 54, 62, 67, 117, 128, 141, 143
Embassy VHS “Cohorts in Sports”
     Cartoons 65, 86, 101, 104, 108, 111, 127, 123, 140
Embassy VHS “That’s Showbiz!”
     Cartoons 84, 96, 109

Disc # 2
Embassy VHS “That’s Showbiz!” (cont.)
     Cartoons 112, 122,133, 142, 144, 145
Embassy VHS “Cops ’n Robbers”
     Cartoons 47, 59, 74, 83, 85, 131, 134, 149, 153
Embassy VHS “Merry Money Makers”
     Cartoons 70, 73, 89, 90, 106, 107, 110, 115, 124
Embassy VHS “The Weird Wacky West”
     Cartoons 64, 82, 103, 116, 119, 120, 121, 126, 130
Embassy VHS “Volume 1”
     Cartoons 1 – 4
Embassy VHS “Volume 2”
     Cartoons 5 – 6

Disc # 3
Embassy VHS “Volume 2” (cont.)
     Cartoons 7 – 8
Embassy VHS “Volume 3”
     Cartoons 9 – 12
Embassy VHS “Volume 4”
     Cartoons 13 – 16
Embassy VHS “Volume 6”
     Cartoons 21 – 24
Embassy VHS “Volume 7”
     Cartoons 25 – 28
Embassy VHS “Mild and Wild Animals”
     Cartoons 43, 46, 58, 77, 80, 91, 92, 98, 36
Embassy VHS “Get That Job!”
     Cartoons 31, 38, 41, 44, 50, 52, 63, 66, 45
Embassy VHS “Funny Fairy Tales”
     Cartoons 30, 33, 34

Disc # 4
Embassy VHS “Funny Fairy Tales” (cont.)
     Cartoons 37, 57, 113, 114, 118, 137
Embassy VHS “Nutty Nature Lovers”
     Cartoons 39, 42, 55, 56, 60, 71, 94, 100, 35
Embassy VHS “Away We Go!”
     Cartoons 40, 48, 61, 87, 95, 105, 69, 136, 102, 148
Embassy VHS “Work, Work, Work!”
     Cartoons 76, 138, 139, 147, 151, 152, 154, 155, 156   
Cartoon 150
Embassy VHS “Volume 5”
     Cartoons 17 – 20

Offline Mark The Shark

It appears that Madacy used the tape masters from which the 1984 – 1987 Embassy Home Entertainment VHS series came, not original archive material.

Looking at the DVD collection’s table of contents, the toons are theme-grouped and ordered 99.5% identical to the Embassy VHS collections.  (The 1/2-percent difference being the inclusion of # 150 “Super Everybody,” which was not in the Embassy series.)

THE NEW 3 STOOGES -  Embassy Home Entertainment VHS series

So, the 156 cartoons are NOT arranged in numerical order, as originally packaged in 1965.  Also, the opening and closing theme & credits are tacked onto each of the 156.  As originally syndicated, that was run only once, to open and close each of the 39 episodes (4 toons per episode).

Disc # 1
Embassy VHS “Bear Necessities”
     Cartoons 51, 68, 81, 88, 93, 97, 125, 135, 146
Embassy VHS “Once Upon a Time”
     Cartoons 29, 53, 72, 75, 78, 79, 99, 129, 132
Embassy VHS “Up, Up and Away”
     Cartoons 32, 49, 54, 62, 67, 117, 128, 141, 143
Embassy VHS “Cohorts in Sports”
     Cartoons 65, 86, 101, 104, 108, 111, 127, 123, 140
Embassy VHS “That’s Showbiz!”
     Cartoons 84, 96, 109

Disc # 2
Embassy VHS “That’s Showbiz!” (cont.)
     Cartoons 112, 122,133, 142, 144, 145
Embassy VHS “Cops ’n Robbers”
     Cartoons 47, 59, 74, 83, 85, 131, 134, 149, 153
Embassy VHS “Merry Money Makers”
     Cartoons 70, 73, 89, 90, 106, 107, 110, 115, 124
Embassy VHS “The Weird Wacky West”
     Cartoons 64, 82, 103, 116, 119, 120, 121, 126, 130
Embassy VHS “Volume 1”
     Cartoons 1 – 4
Embassy VHS “Volume 2”
     Cartoons 5 – 6

Disc # 3
Embassy VHS “Volume 2” (cont.)
     Cartoons 7 – 8
Embassy VHS “Volume 3”
     Cartoons 9 – 12
Embassy VHS “Volume 4”
     Cartoons 13 – 16
Embassy VHS “Volume 6”
     Cartoons 21 – 24
Embassy VHS “Volume 7”
     Cartoons 25 – 28
Embassy VHS “Mild and Wild Animals”
     Cartoons 43, 46, 58, 77, 80, 91, 92, 98, 36
Embassy VHS “Get That Job!”
     Cartoons 31, 38, 41, 44, 50, 52, 63, 66, 45
Embassy VHS “Funny Fairy Tales”
     Cartoons 30, 33, 34

Disc # 4
Embassy VHS “Funny Fairy Tales” (cont.)
     Cartoons 37, 57, 113, 114, 118, 137
Embassy VHS “Nutty Nature Lovers”
     Cartoons 39, 42, 55, 56, 60, 71, 94, 100, 35
Embassy VHS “Away We Go!”
     Cartoons 40, 48, 61, 87, 95, 105, 69, 136, 102, 148
Embassy VHS “Work, Work, Work!”
     Cartoons 76, 138, 139, 147, 151, 152, 154, 155, 156   
Cartoon 150
Embassy VHS “Volume 5”
     Cartoons 17 – 20

Really? Well, at least they are all there. (I hope these are at least from masters and not from VHS/Beta sources!)

(Just as an aside, when WSNS-Channel 44 in Chicago ran them in the 1970s, each cartoon had its own opening and closing. But that was the 1970s, not the 1960s.)

BTW -- there are some variations in the versions of the closing. I recall that on some of the earliest cartoons before the credits start to show, Moe reaches all the way to the top of the bass drum to hit the cymbal a few times (I'm pretty sure this would have been a physically impossible feat for the real Moe to do). Also, some of the closings named Heriage as the distributor and some named "TV III" -- but it sounds like these have all been replaced with the "spliced" credits from the Rhino DVDs.

I still must have this.

Offline JazzBill

I still must have this.

Me too, (I really don't care for them all that much) I have a lot of them already. This won't be the first time I'll be buying something I'm not crazy about.  But it adds to the collection.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Paul Allen

... on par with Madacy's previous 4 disc release that included the mgm shorts, cartoons and other stuff.

What does that previous 4-disc Madacy release look like?

Could someone please supply a link?

Offline Mark The Shark

What does that previous 4-disc Madacy release look like?

Could someone please supply a link?

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Curly-Joe-deRita/dp/B001H29F24/ref=sr_1_4?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1382230979&sr=1-4&keywords=three+stooges+collector%27s+edition

Hey, right now it's only $2.49!

It's in a metal box. Inside is a cardboard case similar to what has been described for the New 3 Stooges cartoons set (which I don't have yet). You get a button (with the Comedy III-approved head shots) and a booklet with stills. There are a bunch of trailers on here and I have to say, they are in really nice shape compared to other releases of trailers on public domain DVDs.

DVD 1
Nertsery Rhymes (B&W, no M-G-M lion)
Roast-Beef And Movies (B&W)
The Three Stooges Family Album (previously released Comedy III documentary)
The Steve Allen Show (0:21:15) (Just an aside, they do some great stuff in this)
Aqua Net commercial
Arthritis Foundation PSA
Dickies Work Clothes commercial (B&W)
Star Spangled Salesman (Clip only) (B&W)
Hand puppets (1930s silent footage)

DVD 2
Swing Parade Of 1946
Trailer: Have Rocket, Will Travel
Trailer: The Three Stooges Meet Hercules
Trailer: The Three Stooges In Orbit
Trailer: The Three Stooges Go Around The World In A Daze
Trailer: The Outlaws Is Coming!
The Outlaws Is Coming! (Behind scenes footage)
The Outlaws Is Coming! (Gag reel)
Trailer: Snow White And The Three Stooges

DVD 3
Beer And Pretzels (No M-G-M lion)
The Big Idea (no M-G-M lion)
His First Flame (Shemp Vitaphone)
Corn On The Cop (Shemp Vitaphone)
Salt Water Daffy (Shemp Vitaphone)

DVD 4: The New 3 Stooges
#33 Peter Panic/Sweepstakes Ticket
#34 When You Wish Upon A Fish/Seasick Joe
#35 A Little Past Noon/Sunbathers
#37 3 Lumps And A Lamp/Melodrama (Beginning of intro clipped)
#38 Who's For Dessert?/Waiters
#40 Which Is Witch?/Buried Treasure
#41 Suture Self/Doctors
#42 The Yolk's On You/Artists
#43 Tally Moe With Larry And Joe/Inheritance
#45 The Transylvania Railroad/Shipmates
#46 What's Mew Pussycat?/High Voltage
#47 It's A Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad World/Pilots
#48 Bridge On The River Cry/Decorators

Some of the reviews on the Amazon link might refer to a different set than this one. You know how that goes.

IIRC, some of the couplings of cartoon and live-action segment don't match the list on this site, but most do.

Hope this helps!

ThumpTheShoes

For the curious, here's what's wrong with the audio portion of this release: The lp rips on the cd have too much noise reduction applied, resulting in sound that is far too compressed.

This file has a sample of the recent release, followed by my own lp rip as a point of reference:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97yg4p38ykxicrv/toy%20store%20part1%20-%20dvd%20-%20home%20rip.mp3

Noise reduction can be a very helpful tool in audio restoration.. But it can be a royal bitch if misused!

Offline fearlessfrizzletop

I’ve uploaded some comparison frames to flickr, from THAT LITTLE OLD BOMBMAKER (chosen at random). I grabbed screen caps from the new IMAGE MADACY set, a typical PD set (GENIUS BAZOOKA) and from RHINO VOLUME 1. I haven’t tried to fix the screen caps in any way, they are what they are as I grabbed them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thescribefiles/sets/72157636953941424/

First and foremost, it’s obvious that Comedy III (and I’ll blame C3, not Madacy, who’s only the licensee) put absolutely zero effort into this set. I had given up complaining about DVD releases a long time ago (you’ll never please everyone), but the only thing the new Complete Collection has going for it is that it’s complete. Quality-wise, it’s consistently sub-par – generally somewhat better than most public domain dollar discs, but not by a lot. If Brent Seguine says they’re using nearly-30 year old masters produced for VHS release, I believe him. Nothing here can compare with the original Rhino DVD releases from a few years ago, “digitally transferred from the original 16mm films”. In the caps from the live-action segment, you can see that the detail is much stronger, and that the colours are richer and warmer – not as washed out and garish.

It’s a shame, because there was the potential to have a really excellent set here. The cartoons are often seen as an embarrassment for the Stooges, but – while for the most part the best you can say about them is that they’re “odd” – they are part of the Stooges legacy and deserve better. Sharp, brilliant prints can go a long way to help people really appreciate the films. Again, it’s Comedy III that dropped the ball – they “own” the Stooges, yet do them a terrible disservice whenever they’re connected to any sort of DVD release (the previous collector’s tins, for example). If they cared at all, they would have partnered with somebody like Legend Films, who at least SEEMS to try to get the best quality material possible, and goes the extra effort to present it well.

Ultimately, I’m glad I got the set – but boy, what a lost opportunity.

Chris

Offline Mark The Shark

Wow. When a public domain release is better than an "official" one, that's pretty sad. I don't have the Bazooka DVD, but I do have a couple "dollar DVDs" by Genius, which I assume use the same stuff. What gets me is Madacy released a disc of these cartoons before (see link in an earlier post) which was obviously licensed by Comedy III and they had access to the same masters Rhino had for their sets, which are BY FAR the best. But then, Rhino was (WAS) known for their care and effort to present vintage material in its best form; their reputation as a music reissue label speaks for itself (back when they were an independent company, at least, and on a case by case basis, sometimes even today).

The sad thing is, if even a little effort had been made on this, it could have been a lot better -- even getting the shorts in chronological order, let alone using better masters -- but would it have increased sales at all? I imagine not. But I at least have to give them credit for making sure "Super Everybody" got in there. Somehow, someone was awake at the switch on that one.

I am still getting it. Damn. (One other thing -- I was all set to order it from Family Dollar, so thanks for that link for the $12.99 deal -- but when I got to checkout it said my browser didn't support it and I would need to download Google Chrome or something. I didn't want to do that, so I just went to their store, since there is one close by me. They ordered it for me but it is on back order because it's already showing out of stock. That might be a good thing, maybe it's selling better than expected. Of course, maybe they only ordered one or two sets, and three sales would have exceeded expectations. I was also looking forward to the CD, but it sounds like I'm still gonna have to make my own needle-drops anyway. Aw, come on!)

ThumpTheShoes

What gets me is Madacy released a disc of these cartoons before (see link in an earlier post) which was obviously licensed by Comedy III and they had access to the same masters Rhino had for their sets, which are BY FAR the best.

That older set had the best looking transfers of those cartoons up to that time, but the picture was squished horizontally to a phony 16x9 aspect ratio. Minus that and the hard coded dropped frames and frequent image flutter, it would have been a terrific looking collection. All 4 discs in that old release had the same picture problems throughout.

For this new set, I was really hoping to see the best copies ever of the live action stuff. Instead, we moved a step back to the older, dingier transfers.

Previous Madacy pd release:
New complete set:
"Hey, lookit dat, Buddy-Boy. The same speck of dirt in the frame!"

C3 released an mp3 version of the Stooges' Christmas stuff that was a direct copy of a previous Kid Rhino cassette release, and each featured the same track lineup as what's presented on this latest cd. The sound samples of the C3 version on Amazon sound miles better than what's in this set, though they don't have "Wreck the Halls" and "Goodbye.." available.

Offline Mark The Shark

I just got mine. The cartoons that I have looked at seem to be in slightly better shape than I expected. I'm disappointed with the audio CD. It combines the contents of The Nonsense Songbook (which I've had on CD for years, remastered by Steve Hoffman no less) and a cheap-ass CD called Christmas Time With The Three Stooges which I got from Amazon in the fairly recent past, including most (BUT NOT ALL >:() of the tracks from Happy Yuletide Songs and a couple tracks from Madcap Musical Nonsense At Your House. If I'm not mistaken, Comedy 3 also released another CD which IIRC contained all the songs from all three of these records, why on Earth didn't they use that for this set?

I'd still rather have this than not have it.

Offline Mark The Shark

I did a quick review just to make note of everything on this set. Brent's post was correct, these are the same compilations as the Embassy VHS and Beta tapes, but with the openings and closings edited back on. As I was going through them, I was cross-referencing with the Three Stooges Scrapbook book, and I noticed a fair number of cases where the live-action sequence with a particular cartoon didn't match what was listed in the book's filmography (and I have run into that in the past when I checked other DVDs with this site). So I don't know what that means, whether there are errors in various filmographies and/or someone did a cut-and-paste on certain shorts over the years. (I remember a 1990s TV package which had a different show opening and the cartoons formatted into half-hour shows, where IIRC not every cartoon had a live-action intro, so I wonder if that might have something to do with this.) Also, I was careful to write down the exact titles of the cartoons as shown on screen (including punctuation, I'm kind of OCD about stuff like that). Not that anyone asked, but here goes. (Some of the live-action segments are similar to one another and I didn't sit down and watch every single one of them all the way through, so I apologize for any errors, but this is correct to the best of my knowledge.)

DVD 1
#51 Bee My Honey/Barbers
#68 Litter Bear/Hunters
#81 Turnabout Is Bearplay/Magicians
#125 Furry Fugitive/Golfers
#93 Curly's Bear/Turkey Stuffers
#97 Bearfoot Bandit/Flat Tire
#135 The Bear Who Came In Out Of The Cold/Artists
#146 No Money, No Honey/Outdoor Breakfast
#88 Bearfoot Fisherman/High Voltage
#29 Clarence Of Arabia/Electricians
#53 Stoneage Stooges/Caretakers
#72 Rise & Fall Of The Roman Umpire/Piemakers
#75 Larry And The Pirates/Shipmates
#78 Bat & Brawl/Piemakers
#79 Knight Without End/Telegram
#99 Three Good Knights/Janitors
#129 Norse West Passage/Sunken Treasure
#132 First Glass Service/Flat Tire
#32 The Three Astronutz/Inheritance
#49 Hot Shots/Janitors
#54 Smoke Gets In Your Skies/Piemakers
#62 Focus In Space/Buried Treasure
#67 Best Test Pilots/Pilots
#117 Out Of Space/Seasick Joe
#128 The Mountain Ear/Dentists
#141 Just Plane Crazy/High Voltage
#143 Droll Weevil/Caretakers
#65 Table Tennis Tussle/Athletes
#86 Tee For Three/Bakers
#101 Snowbrawl/Caretakers
#104 Squawk Valley/Weighing In
#108 Under The Bad Bad Tree/Inheritance
#111 Souperman/Pilots
#127 Bowling Pinheads/Sharpshooter
#123 Muscle On The Mind/Artists
#140 Gagster Dragster/Fan Belt
#84 No News Is Good News/High Voltage
#96 7 Faces Of Timbear/Melodrama
#109 Hairbrained Barbers/Barbers

DVD 2
#112 Abominable Showman/Rare Bird
#122 You Ain't Lion/Caretakers
#133 Strictly For The Birds/Telegram
#142 From Bad To Verse/Campers
#144 The Littlest Martian/Dentists
#145 The Bear Showoff/Setting Up Camp
#47 It's A Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad World/Pilots
#59 The Pen Game/Sharpshooters
#74 Cotton Pickin' Chicken/Sweepstakes Ticket
#83 Flat Heads/Beachgoers
#85 Bully For You, Curly/Turkey Stuffers
#131 Toys Will Be Toys/Outdoor Breakfast
#134 Le' Stoogenaires/Athletes
#149 The Men From U.C.L.A./Magicians
#153 The Chicken Delivery Boys/Decorators
#70 The Unhaunted House/Sunbathers
#73 Deadbeat Street/Dentists
#89 Washout Below/Waiters
#90 The Three Marketeers/Decorators
#106 The Plumber's Friend/Electricians
#107 Rub-A-Dub-Tub/Fishermen
#110 Waiter Minute/Pilots
#115 The Chimney Sweeps/Turkey Stuffers
#124 Badmen Of The Briny/Shipmates
#64 Get Out Of Town By Sundown Brown/Salesmen
#82 Pow Wow Row/Lost
#103 There's No Mule Like An Old Mule/Fan Belt
#116 The Mad Mail Mission/Janitor
#119 Three For The Road/Telegram
#120 Feudin, Fuss'n Hillbully/Rare Bird
#121 Don't Misbehave Indian Brave/Campers
#126 How The West Was Once/Prospectors
#130 Lastest Gun In The West/Dentists
#1 That Little Old Bomb Maker/Soldiers
#2 Woodsman Bear That Tree/Lost
#3 Let's Shoot The Player Piano Player/Campers
#4 Dentist The Menace/Bakers
#5 Safari So Good/Orangutan
#6 Thimk Or Thwim/Flat Tire

DVD 3
#7 There Auto Be A Law/Fan Belt
#8 That Old Shell Game/Fishermen
#9 Hold That Line/Dentists
#10 A Flycycle Built For Two/Janitors
#11 Dizzy Doodlers/Artists
#12 The Classical Clinker/Decorators
#13 Movie Scars/Golfers
#14 A Bull For Andamo/Hunters
#15 The Tree Nuts/Weighing In
#16 Tin Horn Dude/Telegram
#21 Stop Dragon Around/Caretakers
#22 To Kill A Clockingbird/Golfers
#23 Who's Lion?/Flat Tire
#24 Fowl Weather Friend/Janitors
#25 Wash My Line/Seasick Joe
#26 Little Cheese Chaser/Fan Belt
#27 Big Wind Bag/Weighing In
#28 Baby Sitters/Magicians
#43 Tally Moe With Larry & Joe/Inheritance
#46 What's Mew Pussycat?/High Voltage
#58 The Lyin' Tamer/Golfers
#77 Feud For Thought/Electricians
#80 Up A Tree/Campers
#91 Follo The White Lion/Orangutan
#92 One Good Burn Deserves Another/Fishermen
#98 None Butt The Brave/Prospectors
#36 Hair Of The Bear/Doctors
#31 That Was The Wreck That Was/Barbers
#38 Who's For Dessert?/Writers
#41 Suture Self/Doctors
#44 The 1st In Lion/Artists
#50 Mel's Angels/Sharpshooter
#52 That Dirty Bird/Rare Bird
#63 The Noisy Silent Movie/Pilots
#66 Phony Express/Prospectors
#45 The Transylvania Railroad/Shipmates
#30 Three Jacks & A Beanstalk/Salesmen
#33 Peter Panic/Sweepstakes Ticket
#34 When You Wish Upon A Fish/Janitors

DVD 4
#37 3 Lumps And A Lamp/Buried Treasure
#57 Goldibear And The 3 Stooges/High Voltage
#113 Curly In Wonderland/Weighing In
#114 Boobs In The Woods/Caretakers
#118 Three Wizards Of Odds/Magicians
#137 Little Red Riding Wolf/Artists
#39 Watt's My Lion?/Athletes
#42 The Yolk's On You/Artists
#55 Queen Quong/Lost
#56 Campsite Fright/Sunken Treasure
#60 It's A Small World/Piemakers
#71 Aloha Ha Ha/Hunters
#94 Land Ho, Ho, Ho/Seasick Joe
#100 Call Of The Wile/Setting Up Camp
#35 A Little Past Noon/Sunbathers
#40 Which Is Witch?/Buried Treasure
#48 Bridge On The River Cry/Decorators
#87 Goofy Gondoliers/Fishermen
#61 Late For Launch/Doctors
#69 A Fishy Tale/Fishermen
#76 Tree Is A Crowd/Outdoor Breakfast
#95 Surfs You Right/Sharpshooter
#102 Rob N. Hood/Doctors
#105 Mummies Boys/Buried Treasure
#136 The Bigger They Are The Harder They Hit/Salesmen
#138 Bell Hop Flops/Waiters
#139 Dig That Gopher/Piemakers
#147 Get That Snack Shack Off The Track/Outdoor Breakfast
#148 Curly's Birthday A Go Go/Bakers
#150 Super Everybody/Inheritance
#151 Kangaroo Catchers/Electricians
#152 No Smoking Aloud/Shipmates
#154 'Sno Ball/Sunken Treasure
#155 Rug-A-Bye Baby/Doctors
#156 Dinopoodi/Turkey Stuffers
#17 Thru Rain, Sleet And Snow/Sunken Treasure
#18 Goldriggers Of '49/Outdoor Breakfast
#19 Ready, Jet Set, Go/Setting Up Camp
#20 Behind The 8 Ball Express/Rare Bird

ThumpTheShoes

Hey, thanks for compiling that list.. Nice woik!

When I made my complete set a few years ago, I used the filmography info from this site to match wraps with cartoons and a couple had to be changed from the Embassy tape lineup. For better, for worse, I made sure all were accounted for, even if they weren't as originally aired, and that all of the different versions (changed incidental music and swapped sound effects, and even Spanish dubs when available) were represented.

Yet withal, when I'd watch these things or just let 'em play for some background noise while dozing, it seemed like the Artists or Test Pilots wrap surrounded every single cartoon that played!

As an aside, something I still get a kick out of with these is hearing The Stooges doing other voices besides theirs. Larry's Southern cowboy voice and Moe's version of Tim Bear (very different from Hal Smith's!) are two that stand out.

Offline Mark The Shark

At first I was thinking the Embassy versions would be correct, and I haven't A/Bed them with the new collection, but I do specifically remember from watching them on Channel 44 in Chicago back in the 1970s, many times they would try and match the wraparounds with the cartoons like the "barbers" wraparound with the cartoon "Hairbrained Barbers" -- and looking at the list, in certain cases where there are discrepancies, sometimes the one listed in the filmography seems to go with the cartoon in question better than the one that's there. But I guess we'd have to ask Moe, Larry, Joe DeRita or Norman Maurer!

What's this about different versions with different music dubs?

ThumpTheShoes

What's this about different versions with different music dubs?

Well just as an example, the version of Caretakers on Boobs in the Woods has a light, whimsical theme for Herbert the Elephant, whereas Stop Dragon Around has bold safari music. There's lots of variances like that and the changes are all across the board with few exceptions (Artists, I think is always the same. At least the first part is).

Some versions of Sunken Treasure have none of the nautical incidental music in the first part. Some versions of other wraps like Bakers and Orangutan have no music at all, and some of the sound effects are changed, not there or are brought up or down in the mix. Listen to those eggs when Moe says "Separate two eggs" and smashes them together.

It's the same story with the Spanish dubs, the music is different sometimes and the sound effects change up or disappear here and there.

By the way, and somewhat tangentially, those library sound effects are some of the worst, ever, IMHO. The first big drum bang in some intros has some kind of helicopter swooshing sound that follows.. Moe's slap sound, the one that kind of goes "Boinnngk!" has some crappy tape noise that follows every single time and spoils the timing. Listen to it when Margaret Kerry beats the hell out of The Boys for ruining her brat's hair!

I guess those were lifted right from the library or from a previous film exactly as they were. The one effect that gets used quite a lot that I like is that low, metallic "Gonnngggg!" sound, like the one we hear in the Peanuts cartoons when someone faints.

I've been paying too much attention to this stuff. I'm goin' out right now and harass some women, goddammit!!
 :laugh:

Offline Mark The Shark

Well just as an example, the version of Caretakers on Boobs in the Woods has a light, whimsical theme for Herbert the Elephant, whereas Stop Dragon Around has bold safari music. There's lots of variances like that and the changes are all across the board with few exceptions (Artists, I think is always the same. At least the first part is).

Some versions of Sunken Treasure have none of the nautical incidental music in the first part. Some versions of other wraps like Bakers and Orangutan have no music at all, and some of the sound effects are changed, not there or are brought up or down in the mix. Listen to those eggs when Moe says "Separate two eggs" and smashes them together.

It's the same story with the Spanish dubs, the music is different sometimes and the sound effects change up or disappear here and there.

By the way, and somewhat tangentially, those library sound effects are some of the worst, ever, IMHO. The first big drum bang in some intros has some kind of helicopter swooshing sound that follows.. Moe's slap sound, the one that kind of goes "Boinnngk!" has some crappy tape noise that follows every single time and spoils the timing. Listen to it when Margaret Kerry beats the hell out of The Boys for ruining her brat's hair!

I guess those were lifted right from the library or from a previous film exactly as they were. The one effect that gets used quite a lot that I like is that low, metallic "Gonnngggg!" sound, like the one we hear in the Peanuts cartoons when someone faints.

I've been paying too much attention to this stuff. I'm goin' out right now and harass some women, goddammit!!
 :laugh:

Wow. I never knew any of this. And it's a great day when I learn something Stooge-related that I didn't already know. Thank you!

I never noticed the "swooshing" on the opening titles until I got the Rhino DVDs and figured it was just a faulty mastering job (since it's on ALL the cartoons that way now). But I do seem to recall the final "blowup" sound effect on the opening having two variations, one louder and one softer. I'm gonna have to check over the various intros for the different scoring.

(I am wondering now whether the theme song was created specifically for this show or whether it's a piece of "needle-drop music" with the animated intro being designed to match it? I had never really considered this, but that would be pretty funny if that's the case. It's not quite "Three Blind Mice" but has a similar cadence.)

I do remember some variations on the closing credits. In some of the earliest cartoons before they start showing the actual credits, the camera zooms in on the drum and Moe reaches all the way on top of the big bass drum to hit the cymbal. Then when it goes to the shot of the drum itself with the names in it, you don't see Curly-Joe (or anything else) holding it up, it just looks like it's floating. I don't recall any differences in the actual credits as listed, though. I do remember some closings said the distributor was "TV III" and some said "Heritage" (though this is actually spliced out of the closings on the "official" DVDs) and in one version (I don't recall which) it seems like there is an abrupt cross-fade at some point where you can't really read one of the credit screens (unless you freeze-frame it). I'm just OCD enough to want to re-edit the correct intros and closings onto every last one of these shorts...

Offline Larrys#1

I hope you all took advantage of last night's lightning deal at Amazon. Got my copy for $11.99. Gotta love Amazon.

ThumpTheShoes

Yep, I'd almost forgot about the other ending with the floating drum and the really small-size credits. Seems like that's the most rare one, though it does turn up a time or two of the Rhino copies.

I never really considered it, but, when these cartoons originally ran in half hour slots, I hope they only ran the intro and credits once per show and not before and after each cartoon. I remember watching the King Feature Syndicate cartoons and others on WTBS that had full intro and credit sequences.. got kinda old to see the same elements repeated so much. Having the intro and credits is sorta too much to handle on these Stooge dvds, too, 'specially since they're clipped a little.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I never really considered it, but, when these cartoons originally ran in half hour slots, I hope they only ran the intro and credits once per show and not before and after each cartoon.

the opening and closing theme & credits are tacked onto each of the 156.  As originally syndicated, that was run only once, to open and close each of the 39 episodes (4 toons per episode).

ThumpTheShoes

I knew I'd seen something about those intros somewhere, just didn't realize it was so recent. Thanks, Brent!

Offline Mark The Shark

Is there actual documentation of this? Any film print I've ever run across has the full opening and closing, and when WSNS-Channel 44 ran them in Chicago back in the 1970s, every cartoon had them too. Did they strike up a new batch of prints like that after the original run then? I know there are cases of some shows being offered two ways, either formatted into half-hours or as separate segments depending on how a station preferred to run them. I wonder if that may have been the case here?