Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

NEW 3 STOOGES (1965) Complete Cartoon Collection, 10/15/13

BeAStooge · 59 · 33924

Linked Events

• NEW 3 STOOGES Complete Cartoon Collection on DVD: October 15, 2013 - October 21, 2013

Offline Mark The Shark

One other thing about the DVD set -- you know what would have made a great extra for this collection?

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/236

This officially belongs to Comedy III, right? It seems to be just about the only thing that hasn't been trotted out. Maybe they don't have a master for it? (At least I think someone asked why it wasn't an extra on The Three Stooges In Orbit DVD, and the answer was Sony doesn't own it, C3 does.) (I may have been the one who asked the question in the first place.)

Speaking of Channel 44 in Chicago above -- their bumper slide for The New 3 Stooges used a picture of the animated Stooges from Three Stooges Scrapbook, the same image pictured in Moe's autobiography (where it's misidentified as being from the 1965 series).

I'd love to get my hands on a complete copy of that pilot film...

Offline Larrys#1

I was watching my set last night and noticed something odd. The live action segment used for "Noisy Silent Movie" is the PILOTS segment. On my public domain video, the segment used for that cartoon is the WAITERS segment. Is the set incorrect or is it my public domain video that is wrong?

Another complaint I have is the credits. Not only do the ending credits get badly cut off at the end, but it looks to me like Madacy simply spliced in the credits before and after each cartoon, which was poorly done. Hard to describe exactly what was poor about it, but those that have this set should know what I mean....

Offline Paul Allen

I was watching my set last night and noticed something odd. The live action segment used for "Noisy Silent Movie" is the PILOTS segment. On my public domain video, the segment used for that cartoon is the WAITERS segment. Is the set incorrect or is it my public domain video that is wrong?

Another complaint I have is the credits. Not only do the ending credits get badly cut off at the end, but it looks to me like Madacy simply spliced in the credits before and after each cartoon, which was poorly done. Hard to describe exactly what was poor about it, but those that have this set should know what I mean....

Unfortunately, the new Image/Madacy set is probably as good as it'll ever get.

Oh well... Better to have it than nothing at all. [pie]

Offline Mark The Shark

There are other examples of cartoon/live-action segment discrepancies. I know in the early 1990s there was a reformatted TV package where not every cartoon had a live-action wraparound, but I don't know if that would have anything to do with this, since it appears they used old masters from the mid-1980s official VHS/Beta releases of the series.

Anyway, I also noticed:

#28 "Baby Sitters" -- Rhino DVD has "Outdoor Breakfast," all other versions I've seen have "Magicians"

#32 "The Three Astronutz" has the "Prospectors" live-action wraparounds on the Rhino DVD, but the new set has the "Inheritance" routine.

#34 "When You Wish Upon A Fish" --Madacy collector's edition has "Seasick Joe," new set has "Janitors"

#37 "Three Lumps And A Lamp" -- Madacy collector's edition has "Melodrama" new set has "Buried Treasure"

#144 "The Littlest Martian" -- new set has "Dentists," other versions I've seen have "Melodrama"

I haven't A/Bed the new DVDs with the old VHS releases. There are probably other discrepancies besides these. I guess as long as they're all there, that's the most important thing...

Offline Larrys#1

Another issue.... Towards the middle of the SMOKE GETS IN YOUR SKIES cartoon, the picture rolls and then the remainder of the cartoon and the final live-action ending is completely out of sync. What garbage quality control! It's bad enough we get the wrong live action wraparounds on the cartoons, we get out-of-sync cartoons. Very unhappy with the set.

ThumpTheShoes

Another issue.... Towards the middle of the SMOKE GETS IN YOUR SKIES cartoon, the picture rolls and then the remainder of the cartoon and the final live-action ending is completely out of sync. What garbage quality control! It's bad enough we get the wrong live action wraparounds on the cartoons, we get out-of-sync cartoons. Very unhappy with the set.

Some parts of the Rhino set were out of sync, like the ending of Sunken Treasure. On some eps, by the time the boys row to shore the audio is off. I remember having to fix the audio in No Money, No Honey (taken from the Embassy vhs) when I was compiling my own complete set a few years ago. The sound is out of sync once again on the new complete set.

I've sorta come to grips with the glitches on this new set, but the one thing that irks me most is that the cartoons are not in order. Makes it kinda hard to locate individual titles when they're out of whack.

Offline Mark The Shark

I just happened to see this:

http://www.intanibase.com/forum/index.php?topic=1671.msg14847#msg14847

Well, we now learn that the negatives to The New 3 Stooges were destroyed. We'll never see them again apparently.

This is the first I am learning of this, and I did not hear the show. Can anyone elaborate?

Offline larrycurlymoe

would love to have this.
been searching for it.
it's why i am here.

pick two fingers...dare ya