Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Introduction to the weekly episode discussions

Dunrobin · 893 · 177796

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
There isn't any chance I could get you to resume L&H reviews, especially with your plans for the Fake Shemp shorts on?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

There isn't any chance I could get you to resume L&H reviews, especially with your plans for the Fake Shemp shorts on?

Give me a few weeks to think it over.  I'm happy I made a fan out of you, and I'll reconsider.  It would be nice to hear interest from a few more members to make it worthwhile. I've been busier on weekends, in a good way, so if I do this, I want to make sure the interest is there.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Hard to believe we've been doing Shemp for over a year!  At the current pace, we'll be discussing COMMOTION ON THE OCEAN around my birthday.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

BLUNDER BOYS review will most likely be tonight.  How bittersweet this one will be.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline CurlyFan1934

I'm going to try to review all of the Stooges, Marx Brothers and Laurel and Hardy shorts and features in the Weekly Episode Discussions before the Stooges discussion ends. I just figured that I would say that in here so that it doesn't seem weird that I'm bumping up a ton of old threads.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I'm going to try to review all of the Stooges, Marx Brothers and Laurel and Hardy shorts and features in the Weekly Episode Discussions before the Stooges discussion ends. I just figured that I would say that in here so that it doesn't seem weird that I'm bumping up a ton of old threads.

Bumping old threads is more than welcome :)
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Serious question - Am I the only one looking forward to getting to the Besser shorts?  Weak series of films, but man, the potential discussion should be passionate.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Serious question - Am I the only one looking forward to getting to the Besser shorts?  Weak series of films, but man, the potential discussion should be passionate.

I look forward to every short, but I am anticipating these to see what people say as too many people judge those shorts for the wrong reasons.  I'm sure we'll see some during the first one.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Shemp_Diesel

It's often said that "hate" is an easier emotion to express than "love," so the Besser era should be interesting from that standpoint. I know many times I've said in the past that I don't "hate" Besser--I just really loathe the majority of the films he made as a stooge.

Again, Joe Besser should spark some heated debate....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline CurlyFan1934

When we get to the Besser shorts, I am ready. Ready to release all of the hatred that I have been storing inside of me. The Besser shorts suck. I know some people that do like Joe Besser, but I can think of about.... zero... good Joe Besser shorts that have been made by The Three Stooges. The DeRita discussion is also going to be very interesting.

Offline metaldams

When THE OUTLAWS IS COMING is done, so am I.  I'm not sure if it was assumed by you guys or not, but that will really be it and it's been what, four years?  We have a few months to go, so if anybody else wants to pick up the mantle starting reviews on other films, let me know and I'll see what I can do about getting you access.  I'll participate as well if you review something I'm interested in. 

Like Big Papi, I've officially announced my retirement.  Looking at what we have ahead, his final season is better than mine.  [pie]. All kidding aside, looking forward to what's ahead, and I will start the solo Columbia shorts soon.  Whether I do all 23 depends on the participation.
- Doug Sarnecky

Please do the Curly Joes before the solo shorts.  I think they're more relevant to a Three Stooges website.

Offline metaldams

Please do the Curly Joes before the solo shorts.  I think they're more relevant to a Three Stooges website.

The solo shorts will be done at the same time as Besser and Derita films, back to two a week.  The Shemp Columbia's are good and it would be nice to review some good stuff in this stretch.  Again, no promises I do all 23, we'll see how people respond.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
When THE OUTLAWS IS COMING is done, so am I.  I'm not sure if it was assumed by you guys or not, but that will really be it and it's been what, four years?  We have a few months to go, so if anybody else wants to pick up the mantle starting reviews on other films, let me know and I'll see what I can do about getting you access.  I'll participate as well if you review something I'm interested in. 

Like Big Papi, I've officially announced my retirement.  Looking at what we have ahead, his final season is better than mine.  [pie]. All kidding aside, looking forward to what's ahead, and I will start the solo Columbia shorts soon.  Whether I do all 23 depends on the participation.

Four [three for me, because I was late to the party] years of awesome fun though!  I'd gladly lead as there are a few shows out there I have a lot of in depth knowledge about, plus there are others where I can easily find the films online to do so.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Four [three for me, because I was late to the party] years of awesome fun though!  I'd gladly lead as there are a few shows out there I have a lot of in depth knowledge about, plus there are others where I can easily find the films online to do so.

What would you do, out of curiosity?  ...and yeah, when the time comes, I'll ask about access for you to start threads in this section.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
What would you do, out of curiosity?  ...and yeah, when the time comes, I'll ask about access for you to start threads in this section.

I think I'd start by finishing Laurel & Hardy.  After that, maybe the "Ted Healy & His Stooges" shorts.  I'd also want to explore the other Stooge films that aren't going to be covered here: Jerks of All Trades, Gold Raiders, Kook's Tour, and the like.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I think I'd start by finishing Laurel & Hardy.  After that, maybe the "Ted Healy & His Stooges" shorts.  I'd also want to explore the other Stooge films that aren't going to be covered here: Jerks of All Trades, Gold Raiders, Kook's Tour, and the like.

Can't speak for others, but I'd participate.  I'll say something to Rob about getting you access to start threads when the time comes.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline CurlyFan1934

Can't speak for others, but I'd participate.  I'll say something to Rob about getting you access to start threads when the time comes.
I would also like to maybe participate. I know I'm fairly new to this forum but I would be willing to help in any way, shape, or form. I've seen a lot of Weekly Episode Discussions and I would be willing to do any sort of discussions. I knew it sounded like you liked Buster Keaton and W.C. Fields. While I haven't seen much of either, I would be willing to give it a try as I have seen enough of each of them. I have also been a lifelong Laurel and Hardy fan, and I could assist Paul Pain if he needs it.

Curlyfan, you might like to start by joining in the weekly episode discussions currently going on.  If you can contribute wit and wisdom  to the junk we're currently discussing, you'll find the proposed films very pleasant, indeed.

Offline CurlyFan1934

Curlyfan, you might like to start by joining in the weekly episode discussions currently going on.  If you can contribute wit and wisdom  to the junk we're currently discussing, you'll find the proposed films very pleasant, indeed.
Okay! Although I have probably joined this forum at the least interesting time in the Weekly Episode Discussions ("Fake Shemps" and Joe Bessers), I will definitely bring my thoughts into the table and, just warning everybody out there, I might get a little....ummm....angry.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Okay! Although I have probably joined this forum at the least interesting time in the Weekly Episode Discussions ("Fake Shemps" and Joe Bessers), I will definitely bring my thoughts into the table and, just warning everybody out there, I might get a little....ummm....angry.

I thought you said that you used to be another poster but forgot your password?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline CurlyFan1934

I thought you said that you used to be another poster but forgot your password?
Yes. And, even then I was kind of at a bad spot in the Weekly Episode Discussions. I experienced the 1946-1947. A few gems, but mostly the shorts had us all wishing that Curly had been better. I left right about when Shemp came in.

Offline metaldams

Yes. And, even then I was kind of at a bad spot in the Weekly Episode Discussions. I experienced the 1946-1947. A few gems, but mostly the shorts had us all wishing that Curly had been better. I left right about when Shemp came in.

It's OK to comment on previously discussed threads, no need to limit yourself to the current reviews.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

It's OK to comment on previously discussed threads, no need to limit yourself to the current reviews.

It's fun when someone can spur a discussion on an old thread.  Sometimes one of us will have an epiphany and share it, and it generates some insightful responses.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I would also like to maybe participate. I know I'm fairly new to this forum but I would be willing to help in any way, shape, or form. I've seen a lot of Weekly Episode Discussions and I would be willing to do any sort of discussions. I knew it sounded like you liked Buster Keaton and W.C. Fields. While I haven't seen much of either, I would be willing to give it a try as I have seen enough of each of them. I have also been a lifelong Laurel and Hardy fan, and I could assist Paul Pain if he needs it.

I would love to do Keaton and Fields, two comics I am a major fan of (I'm in a big Keaton phase now), as well as finish Laurel and Hardy.  That said, while doing the latter was worth it for getting Paul Payne to be a fan, I just don't think the interest is there overall to continue with other non Stooge comics.  It's disappointing, but it is what it is.  I've been posting on Stooge boards for 16 years now (!), and maybe the first five years would have been good for a Keaton discussion, but not anymore.  When THE MUSIC BOX takes forever to get a response, I decided to stay strictly Stooges.
- Doug Sarnecky