Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

HELLO POP Has Been Found!

BeAStooge · 118 · 37182

Linked Events

• HELLO POP Big Screen Unveiling, NYC Film Forum: September 29, 2013 - September 30, 2013

Offline OldFred

I'm looking forward to seeing some of you knuckleheads at the 'Hello Pop' screening at the Film Forum today. And don't forget to do your best Ted Healy imitation: "I'm the Boss, remember? I'm the Boss!"  [pie]

Just a little antidote anecdote: My lovely love Linda is horrified happy to be attending the screening with me. Last night, a skunk passed by Linda's house. I asked her what would you rather face, a skunk or seeing a long-lost Three Stooges film? She thought a moment and said, "Well, at least the skunk is cute!"

Offline falsealarms

I'm interested in any and all opinions of HELLO POP as well as GOBS OF FUN.

Offline OldFred

Sorry it took so long getting back about the screening, a lot of personal stuff has been going on this week. 'Hello Pop' was a fun short, the Stooges were funny, Healy was just a bossy and Bonnie, well, she was Bonnie. The Stooges had scenes all to themselves and they shone in those scenes. When they were paired with Ted it was the typical "I'm the Boss" routine, though Ted was playing their father again. The MGM song and dance sequences were OK, of the times. It was great to be a part of history in viewing this short in it re-debut in 80 years. The print of the film looked very good, kudos to Ron Hutchinson for spearheading the restoration, and to the gentleman in Australia who found it amongst his collection. Good job all around. Hopefully it won't be long before the DVD comes out with perhaps the rest of the MGM Stooge shorts.

Offline Squirrelbait

Sorry it took so long getting back about the screening, a lot of personal stuff has been going on this week. 'Hello Pop' was a fun short, the Stooges were funny, Healy was just a bossy and Bonnie, well, she was Bonnie. The Stooges had scenes all to themselves and they shone in those scenes. When they were paired with Ted it was the typical "I'm the Boss" routine, though Ted was playing their father again. The MGM song and dance sequences were OK, of the times. It was great to be a part of history in viewing this short in it re-debut in 80 years. The print of the film looked very good, kudos to Ron Hutchinson for spearheading the restoration, and to the gentleman in Australia who found it amongst his collection. Good job all around. Hopefully it won't be long before the DVD comes out with perhaps the rest of the MGM Stooge shorts.

Thanks for the info!
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline OldFred

Additional note: In 'GOBS OF FUN' Shemp is only in the short for a few minutes, but he steals the scene completely from the main comedians. The other shorts that the audience enjoyed were 'Sharps and Flats' with the team of Jimmy Conlin and his wife Myrtle Glass and 'Short & Shaw'. The short with Conlin & Glass was a lot of fun with the team and the backstage crew obviously having a great time with their improvisational antics which was contagious with the theater audience who joined in on the cries of "Whoa!" from Conlin and crew. The vaudeville team of Short & Shaw and their bizzare but funny deadpan act was also a big audience favorite.

These shorts are viewable on YouTube, and here they are:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:34:45 AM by OldFred »

Offline Squirrelbait

OldFred,

Almost forgot to ask - in what order would you rank the 5 MGM shorts now that you've seen them all?

If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline OldFred

OldFred,

Almost forgot to ask - in what order would you rank the 5 MGM shorts now that you've seen them all?

I don't know if I'm qualified to give a rating, I've seen the shorts, but don't have that good a memory of 'The Big Idea', just remembered the Stooges kept coming into Healy's office and interrupting him by playing on their horns. I'll do what I can here:

Ratings: 1 to 5

NERTSERY RHYMES - The first of the MGM shorts with Ted Healy and the Stooges with Bonnie along for the ride. This one is pretty bizarre as the Stooges are playing Ted's 'sons', and they keep insisting that he tell them a bed time story. Bonnie is some weird fairy princess and doesn't really come across as annoying as in other shorts, just weird. This is the first of the shorts in color and the make-up on Ted and the Stooges is pretty heavy. Interesting for it's weirdness factor. Rating: 4

Beer and Pretzels - This one has a conventional plot and the Stooges come off as very funny while Ted not so much. Bonnie actually has a more solid character in this one. Some of the scenes come off as awkward, especially the one with the Stooges and Ted sitting at the table enjoying the floor show. It's like MGM didn't know what to do with them and just told them to sit and look like they're enjoying themselves. Historically, MGM DIDN'T know what to do with the Stooges, so they just stuck them there. The musical numbers are just ok. Rating: 4

Hello Pop - It was great to finally see this long lost MGM Stooge short. The Stooges again play Healy's 'sons' and have whole scenes without Ted and Bonnie and they shone in those scenes. Ted was actually pretty funny during his scenes. Bonnie kept interrupting Ted and the payoff was kind of limp. The short was in two-strip Technicolor and they REALLY slathered on the make-up on Ted and the Boys, it's most noticeable on Moe. Again, the musical numbers were fine for what they are. Rating: 4 1/2

Plane Nuts - I like this one a lot as it presents a visual record of the Healy and Stooges stage act and gives us a rare glimpse of what their act was like live with Bonnie as part of the act. What I really enjoyed was that Larry had a lot to do in the sketch. This is probably my favorite of the MGM Stooge shorts because of if preservation of the Healy/Stooges stage act. Rating: 5

The Big Idea - Probably the weakest of the MGM Healy/Stooges shorts. It mostly features Ted with Stooges coming in at various times to serenade him on their horns. I've seen this short perhaps once, and while the Stooges were funny, it didn't have a lasting impression on me. Rating: 3

Now, if one of you mugs can do better, I dare ya to cross that line! --------------------------------- there, you see, now you're on my side! Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck! [pie]

Offline archiezappa

That sounds awesome!  I can't wait to see it.  Yes, I'm also hopeful for a DVD with all of the Three Stooges short subjects from MGM, restored.  Thanks to all those involved who brought this "lost" film back.

Offline Kopfy2013

It's official! Hello Pop will make it's West Coast premiere Thanksgiving weekend (Saturday) at the newly renovated Alex Theatre in Glendale, CA.

There will be 2 showings - one at 2 pm and then at 8 pm.  Tickets now on sale.  I have purchased tickets for the 8 pm showing.  I hope to see you Left Coast Stooge fans there.
Niagara Falls

Offline Kopfy2013

I was there Saturday night and had a great time.  Great to see the Hello Pop short ... I loved Bonnie Bonnel ... I would rate the short a 7.
Niagara Falls

Offline Mark The Shark

I happened to stumble across this today:

http://talkieking.blogspot.com/2008/10/march-of-time-unfinished-mgm-1930.html

It's an article about the unreleased 1930 M-G-M musical The March Of Time. Apologies if this is old news to some of the more knowledgeable Stooge buffs, but if you scroll down the page, there are links to some video clips with footage from this film, one of which is part of a musical number called "The Lock Step" which the article says was reused in Jailbirds Of Paradise. Of course, this would be recycled footage from a non-Stooge-related feature film but it appears this was indeed part of the still "lost" short. My question is, where did this come from? I'm not gonna ask if there's more where this came from because I figure if there was, we would have heard about it by now, but still...

Here's a direct link to You Tube:

Offline ArPharazon

Has there been any news on a potential remaster of the 5 MGM shorts?

Offline Squirrelbait

Has there been any news on a potential remaster of the 5 MGM shorts?

No, nothing yet as far as I know. I really hope we can see it eventually!

Offline archiezappa

No, nothing yet as far as I know. I really hope we can see it eventually!

Me too!  I'm starting to believe that anything is possible as far as lost films and movies on DVD's goes.

Offline Squirrelbait

I haven't heard anything about this in ages - is anything new happening?

When can we hope for a DVD release? (Sorry to make waves, I'm just REEEEALLY impatient! ;D)

Offline Mark The Shark

I haven't heard anything about this in ages - is anything new happening?

When can we hope for a DVD release? (Sorry to make waves, I'm just REEEEALLY impatient! ;D)

Maybe they're waiting until they find "Jailbirds Of Paradise."

Offline HELLOLARRY

I was at the screening back in September and they said the plan at the time was to put them on DVD through the Warner Archive in Spring or Summer this year.

Offline archiezappa

I was at the screening back in September and they said the plan at the time was to put them on DVD through the Warner Archive in Spring or Summer this year.

Sounds great!  Maybe we can get that and Volume 2 of the Vitaphone Comedies as well.

Offline Squirrelbait

That would be awesome. Thanks for the info!

Offline Squirrelbait

I'm sorry to keep bringing this up, but has there been any more news (screenings, DVD release?)

I fear I may be becoming obsessed (just look at my profile pic for gosh sakes!)

Offline HELLOLARRY

Has anyone heard of any further updates as to the release of Hello Pop along with the other MGM shorts?

Offline Squirrelbait

Has anyone heard of any further updates as to the release of Hello Pop along with the other MGM shorts?

I agree, I keep wondering the same thing. I'm logging on here every day hoping I'll see something regarding a new DVD with the MGM shorts. One thing is for sure, I cannot begin to tell you how excited I will be to finally see this lost gem.

Please hurry and release it!

Offline Squirrelbait

Just for the heck of it, I decided to fire off an e-mail to Warner Archive about this very subject - I've copied it below.

Thank you for your interest in the Warner Archive. We're thrilled to be offering many titles from the Warner Bros vaults that were never before released on DVD. While we can't comment on release plans for specific titles, we can tell you that each month, more and more films and TV series will be made available. To be notified as new titles become available, you can sign up for our mailing list here:

https://registration.warnerbros.com/se4gh/MainPage.html

Just check the box at the bottom to receive updates specifically on the Warner Archive. Thank you for visiting us, and we hope that you'll check out some of the titles we're currently offering, and check back soon to see more.

Regards,
Kelsey

www.WBshop.com
1-866-373-4389
Monday-Friday 8:00 am 8:00 pm EST
Saturday 9:00 am to 6:00 pm EST

Customer feedback

Would it ever be possible for you to release 'Hello Pop', the long-lost Three Stooges short in the near future?

On behalf of myself, and other die-hard Stooge fans, we'd love to finally see it.

Warner Bros - WBShop.com | 4000 Warner Blvd | Burbank, CA 91522 | United States

And notice how I made reference to 'other die-hard Stooge fans', or as they're more commonly known, YOU GUYS! [pie]

ThumpTheShoes

...Thank you for visiting us, and we hope that you'll check out some of the titles we're currently offering, and check back soon to see more.

Regards,
Kelsey

So, the archive gives names to their auto reply bots? What a nice human-like touch!

Offline Larrys#1

Yes, when is this getting released on DVD? This is getting ridiculous.