Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

HELLO POP Has Been Found!

BeAStooge · 118 · 37632

Linked Events

• HELLO POP Big Screen Unveiling, NYC Film Forum: September 29, 2013 - September 30, 2013

Offline Squirrelbait

Thanks so much for posting these - so exciting to see!
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline metaldams

This is wonderful, thanks Brent.  In addition to the boys in color, it's nice to see Edward Brophy and Henry Armetta as well.  Too bad they weren't at Columbia.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

Thanks, Brent, for taking the time to put these up!  I can't believe how good they look.

I saw Ron Hutchinson last Monday at the Vitaphone show at the Film Forum in NYC, and gave him a BIG HUG on behalf of the Three Stooges Fan Club for finding this film!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline archiezappa

Wow!  This film looks great!  I can't wait to see it.

More particularly, I can't wait to have this and the other MGM short subjects restored on a DVD.  Well, at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Offline Senorita Rita

Awesome! Thanks for sharing those stills. I love long-lost discoveries like this.
...to say the least, if not less...

Offline pipboytaylor

The stills really look great. I can't believe how good the color appears to be. Better than "Nertsery"? Can't wait for hopefully an MGM short set as others have mentioned. Thanks to the folks working on the project. Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Since I was aware of this film being missing since about 1984, I have waited for this to turn up, and by Jove it has.  Now for Jailbirds of Paradise.  There is a very strong rumor that all three Stooges appear in this, but separately in different scenes in small roles.

As for the color in Nertsery Rhymes, if M.G.M. has an original print it will look as good as the screen caps of Hello Pop.  I can't confirm this, but I have been told that M.G.M. struck a print of Nertsery Rhymes in the early '70's for the revival house circuit.  One of the old Stooge books has an ad for a '70's showing of this short.  I have also heard rumors that the Stooge affiliated M.G.M. shorts are public domain, I don't know this for sure.  But what I do know is that Thunderbird Films offered a color Nertsery Rhymes in the mid seventies.  It was printed on Eastman stock in which the blue dyes of the film decompose over time.  I'm certain that when some of these minor video companies used Nertery Rhymes, they were undoubtedly using one of these faded prints.  I have Nertsery Rhymes on the Lost Stooges VHS and it looks as good as two strip technicolor can.

Also remember that these Healy-Stooge shorts were not made as short comedies, they were made as musical shorts, incorporating deleted musical scenes from M.G.M. musicals.
"Excuse me fellows, I have a terrible cramp!" - Schmool Horwitz, 1911

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Hello is "Hello Pop" available to purchase or is it not out yet?  Thanks so much.

Hoekstra
Moron4392

Offline Paul Allen

Hello is "Hello Pop" available to purchase or is it not out yet?
It's not yet available for purchase, and there's been no announcement of an official release, yet.

I'm sure we're all hoping for a newly remastered MGM set sometime this year! [cool]

Offline Rich Finegan

Now for Jailbirds of Paradise.  There is a very strong rumor that all three Stooges appear in this, but separately in different scenes in small roles.

Only Moe and Curly appear in JAIL BIRDS OF PARADISE.
Moe has some scenes on his own, then a few with Curly. And they get the final scene in the short.
I wrote a very detailed article on the film back in 1993 in Three Stooges Journal no. 65.

http://threestooges.net/journal/view/65

Since that was 20 years ago and many Stooges fans may not have seen it, I'm thinking of rewriting and revising it in a future Journal.
I was actually about to do a revision/update of my 1992 HELLO POP article just before the film's discovery was announced. So maybe it'll be good luck for JAIL BIRDS OF PARADISE's discovery too, if I do an update of my old article! 

Offline archiezappa

Only Moe and Curly appear in JAIL BIRDS OF PARADISE.
Moe has some scenes on his own, then a few with Curly. And they get the final scene in the short.
I wrote a very detailed article on the film back in 1993 in Three Stooges Journal no. 65.

http://threestooges.net/journal/view/65

Since that was 20 years ago and many Stooges fans may not have seen it, I'm thinking of rewriting and revising it in a future Journal.
I was actually about to do a revision/update of my 1992 HELLO POP article just before the film's discovery was announced. So maybe it'll be good luck for JAIL BIRDS OF PARADISE's discovery too, if I do an update of my old article!

Yes!  Let's bring some good luck to this.  I thought we'd never see these films.  I now realize that anything is possible.  The best things come to those who wait.  I'd be interested in reading it.

Offline Myren

I know I am a bit late to the game here. But thanks for posting this news and the photos. ;D

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Progress report, posted by Ron Hutchinson on Facebook, 6/18...

Will be traveling on business Wednesday, so here is an early post for Moe Howard's birthday on June 19th.

Here are some frames from the Stooges' long-lost Technicolor short HELLO POP (MGM/'33) which was found in December and is now nearly restored. I will soon be able to announce the short's first screening in 80 years which I will host, and will have pre-show music by the great Peter Mintun . Stay tuned!

Offline Larrys#1

Very nice pictures. This may sound stupid, but I had no idea this short was in color. That makes this wait even more exciting. Thank you for the preview pics, Mr. BeAStooge!

Offline ProfessorStooge

Like all Stooge fans, I am looking forward to seeing this film. Can't wait for it to appear on DVD in the future.

Offline Rich Finegan

Yes!  Let's bring some good luck to this... I'd be interested in reading it.

(Regarding me reprinting my 1993 article on the lost short JAILBIRDS OF PARADISE in an upcoming Three Stooges Journal):
Done! My updated article on JAILBIRDS OF PARADISE is in the latest Journal (no. 146). I revised and updated it a bit from the 1993 original.
The short looks like a fun one - I hope we will get to see it some day!

Offline Rich Finegan

Regarding the theatrical re-premiere of HELLO POP, the place and date have been scheduled, so it really is going to happen! Official announcement coming soon. I've known the place and date for a few weeks now...but have been sworn to secrecy! But I will add that there are some other very rare and cool long-unseen shorts from the period also scheduled. Any Stooges-related? Could Be!

Unfortunately, still no word on exactly if and when HELLO POP will turn up on DVD or TCM for those unable to travel to the theatrical screenings.   

Offline locoboymakesgood

Here's hoping there's a screening in proximity to me, then. I'd love to see this on the big screen.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

Yes, I did enjoy the "Jailbirds" article.  A good read.  Yes, I hope it turns up some day. 

I am, of course, all for a DVD release.  I know I won't be able to attend the screening.  I'd love to do so, but since I live in the deep south, I'm nowhere near any theater that would screen such things.

Anyways, this is all very exciting!

Offline Shemp Shady

Great news for Stooge fans in the L.A. area: The lost-and-found short HELLO POP may be premiering—perhaps a world premiere—at this fall’s Three Stooges Big Screen event, held at Glendale’s historic Alex Theatre on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

On Wednesday, June 19, the selection committee met and universally agreed that it would be great to show HELLO POP this year—if, by some chance, a print became available. Later that day, Frank Gladstone—host and mastermind of the annual festival—emailed us that he had contacted his go-to person at Warner Bros. about the availability of HELLO POP. As Frank wrote in his email:

“(On) returning to my office, an e-mail from (XXX) was waiting for me. It seems that (XXX) has been a regular at our Stooges shows for years and was hoping I would be contacting him. He has already pulled a 35mm print of HELLO POP, just for our show!!!

Now, (…) we will call the show "Hello Pop!" If we promote this well, excitement from Stooge fans will be palpable. We could fill the house! (…) HooHaa, boys and girls. A real coup!”

Yes, a real coup, indeed—whether that's a coup d'état, coup de grâce, or coo coo ca joob! Almost needless to say, I CAN HARDLY WAIT for November!
Eet ees a klasseek!!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
June 22 update from Ron Hutchinson, on the big-screen re-premiere of HELLO POP (1933)...

(Note:  the Shemp Howard film mentioned is GOBS OF FUN... see the latest issue of The Three Stooges Journal for details on that Vitaphone short subject.)

Will be able to make the big announcement soon on the first screening in 80 years of the long-lost 1933 Technicolor MGM Stooges short, HELLO POP. Per my agreement with Ned Price at WB (a great and supportive guy), the screening will be in 35mm and at Film Forum in NYC later this year.

To fill out the program, we are including other long unseen gems, including LoC's beautiful print of a 1934 Vitaphone comedy which has a previously unknown appearance by Shemp Howard (thanks Rob Stone and Jenny Paxson! ), a 35mm print struck just for us by Bob O'Neil at Universal of Robert Benchley's YOUR TECHNOCRACY AND MINE ('33), some Technicolor fragments courtesy of James Layton of George Eastman House, and possibly one of the just-restored 1929 Columbia Victor Gems from LoC, which used disks I got from Australia a few years ago. For now, just sit tight and salivate in anticipation!

Offline Squirrelbait

The more pictures I see and the more I hear about 'Hello Pop' the more excited I get!  [hello2]
I just may have to find a way to get myself to L.A. over Thanksgiving weekend - I REALLY WANT TO SEE THIS!

By the way, has the complete, color version of 'Nertsery Rhymes' ever been released on DVD? I've just seen it in Black and White.
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline Mark The Shark

The more pictures I see and the more I hear about 'Hello Pop' the more excited I get!  [hello2]
I just may have to find a way to get myself to L.A. over Thanksgiving weekend - I REALLY WANT TO SEE THIS!

By the way, has the complete, color version of 'Nertsery Rhymes' ever been released on DVD? I've just seen it in Black and White.

As far as I know, no. Although clips of it are on some Goodtimes documentary DVD with pretty nice color as I recall (better than I remember when it aired on TNT). (I think Goodtimes and other distributors assumed the M-G-M Stooge shorts to be public domain, which I don't think they are.) The Stooge M-G-M shorts were released on Laserdisc as part of a collection of various M-G-M shorts in the 1990s. (Except for HELLO POP and JAILBIRDS OF PARADISE, of course.)

As far as DVD, BEER AND PRETZELS is an extra on FLYING DOWN TO RIO, and PLANE NUTS and ROAST-BEEF AND MOVIES are extras on the DANCING LADY DVD -- and I recall the color on ROAST-BEEF being better than I have seen previously.

Just as an aside, I just saw THE BENNY GOODMAN STORY for the first time a few nights ago and who happens to appear in it but George Givot, the "How do ya like that" guy from ROAST-BEEF AND MOVIES, in a straight role and sans the Greek accent (or at least it was toned down)!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I just saw THE BENNY GOODMAN STORY for the first time a few nights ago and who happens to appear in it but George Givot, the "How do ya like that" guy from ROAST-BEEF AND MOVIES, in a straight role and sans the Greek accent (or at least it was toned down)!

For "toned down" Givot, he costars in HOLLYWOOD PARTY (1934) as 'Liondora.'