Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Remake Shorts of the Three Stooges Shorts

luke795 · 13 · 3929

Offline luke795

There were two Shemp solo shorts that were remakes of two Three Stooges shorts A HIT WITH A MISS is a remake of PUNCH DRUNKS and SOCIETY MUGS is a remake of TERMITES OF 1938 and two Joe Besser solo shorts that were a remakes of Three Stooges short FRAIDY CAT is a remake of DIZZY DETECTIVES and HOOK A CROOK is a remake of FRAIDY CAT and DIZZY DETECTIVES.  Are there any other Three Stooges shorts that were remade by someone else?

Online falsealarms

There were two Shemp solo shorts that were remakes of two Three Stooges shorts A HIT WITH A MISS is a remake of PUNCH DRUNKS and SOCIETY MUGS is a remake of TERMITES OF 1938 and two Joe Besser solo shorts that were a remakes of Three Stooges short FRAIDY CAT is a remake of DIZZY DETECTIVES and HOOK A CROOK is a remake of FRAIDY CAT and DIZZY DETECTIVES.  Are there any other Three Stooges shorts that were remade by someone else?

Andy Clyde remade CASH AND CARRY (1937) in 1945 with A MINER AFFAIR and in 1954 with TWO APRIL FOOLS. Clyde also did two remakes of YES, WE HAVE NO BONANZA: 1944's GOLD IS WHERE YOU LOSE IT and 1951s PLEASURE TREASURE. YES, WE HAVE NO BONANZA was a remake itself (of the 1934 Sidney/Murray short BACK TO THE SOIL).

So there's two I found thumbing through the Columbia Comedy Shorts book and a glance at threestooges.net. And some Stooge shorts were remakes of shorts done by others. For instance, CRASH GOES THE HASH was a remake of the 1937 Kennedy/Collins short NEW NEWS (which is on youtube). Another example is UNCIVIL WARBIRDS, which was a remake of the 1939 Keaton short MOOCHING THROUGH GEORGIA.

Offline ProfessorStooge

If a Body Meets a Body was a remake of The Laurel & Hardy Murder Case. Both of those featured Fred Kelsey as the detective. Dizzy Detectives was remade twice with Joe Besser, first as Fraidy Cat and again as Hook a Crook.

Offline 2reelers

Sticking only to the Columbia shorts, I can think of a handful:

TRAINING FOR TROUBLE (Schilling & Lane) is a remake of A PAIN IN THE PULLMAN

LET DOWN YOUR AERIAL (Vernon & Quillan) was remade by the Stooges as GOOF ON A ROOF (and again by Vernon and Quillan as HIS PEST FRIEND)

MUTINY ON THE BODY (Smith & Dale) was remade by the Stooges as MONKEY BUSINESSMEN

YOU'RE NEXT (Walter Catlett) was remade/reworked a few times, first with Schilling & Lane in PARDON MY TERROR and later with the Stooges as WHO DONE IT and FOR CRIMIN OUT LOUD

HOT HEIR (Hugh Herbert) was remade with the Stooges as GENTS IN A JAM

PISTOL PACKIN NITWITS (El Brendel & Harry Langdon) was sorta reworked with the Stooges as OUT WEST

BOOBS IN THE NIGHT (El Brendel) remade with the Stooges as DOPEY DICKS

READY WILLING BUT UNABLE (El Brendel) was sorta remade with the Stooges as THREE PESTS IN A MESS

OH MY NERVES (Collins & Kennedy) was remade with the Stooges as IDIOTS DELUXE and GUNS A POPPIN

TEN BABY FINGERS (Sidney & Murray) was remade with the Stooges as MUTTS TO YOU and SOCK-A-BYE BABY and an Andy Clyde short that I can't think of the name of.

PLUMBING FOR GOLD (Sidney & Murray) was remade by the Stooges as A PLUMBING WE WILL GO, VAGABOND LOAFERS, SCHEMING SCHEMERS and Brendel and Shemp's PICK A PECK OF PLUMBERS

I think that's all...

Offline archiezappa

I find the "formula" for making short subjects very interesting.

Offline metaldams

Though technically not a Stooge short, I believe Shemp's MR. NOISY is a remake of Charley Chases's THE HECKLER. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

Though technically not a Stooge short, I believe Shemp's MR. NOISY is a remake of Charley Chases's THE HECKLER.

Yes, it is.
Three other Shemp solo shorts were also remakes of earlier Columbia Charley Chase shorts:
OPEN SEASON FOR SAPS (1944) - remake of THE GRAND HOOTER (1937).
ON AGAIN, OF AGAIN (1945) - remake of TIME OUT FOR TROUBLE (1938).
BRIDE AND GLOOM (1946) - remake of THE AWFUL GOOF (1939).

Offline archiezappa

I'd love to see some Charley Chase shorts.  I hear they are very well done, as well as being very funny.  Weren't they going to release a DVD box set of some of his Columbia shorts a few years ago?

Offline locoboymakesgood

Weren't they going to release a DVD box set of some of his Columbia shorts a few years ago?
As far as I can remember that was never considered. It was hopefuls on various message boards and the internet in general that wanted to see his Columbia shorts.

I'm a big fan of Charley and haven't seen anything he's done other than his directing of the Stooges and his Hal Roach material. It'd be fun to see them but I can't see that ever happening.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

Too bad they couldn't do a series of DVD's called "The Non-Stooges Columbia Shorts" or something to that effect.  They would still have to advertise using The Three Stooges.  You know, talk about the supporting actors/actresses that were in The Three Stooges and how they were also in other short subjects made at Columbia.  It could work.

Online falsealarms

I'd love to see some Charley Chase shorts.  I hear they are very well done, as well as being very funny.  Weren't they going to release a DVD box set of some of his Columbia shorts a few years ago?

There is one Hal Roach Charley Chase short on the L&H set you seem to be interested in.... ON THE WRONG TREK (1936), which has a L&H cameo.

The Columbia Chases were restored, but according to Sony's Mike Schlesinger, "internal" hurdles remain an obstacle.

Offline locoboymakesgood

The Columbia Chases were restored, but according to Sony's Mike Schlesinger, "internal" hurdles remain an obstacle.
What internal hurdles could there possible be for an extremely niche title like these. Sony has an MOD program and even though I'm still an advocate for factory pressings there's no need for them to sit on them like this.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Mark The Shark

What internal hurdles could there possible be for an extremely niche title like these. Sony has an MOD program and even though I'm still an advocate for factory pressings there's no need for them to sit on them like this.

I betcha that's where they'll end up -- depending on the success of the Ultimate Collection (which seems to be selling pretty well) and/or the Rare Treasures set (if they release it separately). Especially since they have now released the "Jolly Frolics" cartoon collection and are planning a Mr. Magoo theatrical collection.

My guess is "internal hurdles" could mean the decision-making executives don't think they'll sell.

Kind of off topic, but would the "general public" go for the Rare Treasures set on its own? Maybe if they changed the title and cover, and promoted it as a Three Stooges double-feature with a whole bunch of bonus shorts. And mention that it includes their only starring Columbia feature film with the original Curly, which was never released before in any home video format. (Maybe they'll do that when overstock hits the big-box discount houses.)

I'm a marketing genius!