Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Larry's best moments

Offline FineBari3

1. Heavenly Daze:
Moe - "I say Lord Larry-ing-ton" <Moe in a tux smoking through  a twin cigar holder >

Larry - "Oh there you are Sir Moe-ing-ton! Cheerio, Pip-Pip, and all that sort of rot, old thing, old stump, old fishmonger, old skunkbait! " <Larry elegantly drags his cigarette through a 3 foot cigarette holder >

Moe-  "Well you don't have to over do it!" <Slaps Larry >

2. Gypped in the Penthouse:

Larry - "Hey what the Hey!!!"

Moe -" Who is this spotted racoon?"

3. Hokus Pokus

a. Larry - " Oh I Gotta have a mixing bowl... Ahhh! Let's see.. Nah, Too Small... This oughtta do it... Glug <milk like substance pours on his face > What stupid imbecillic fool put that..ah, ah, oh...<sputters into hand > ...... I did! Oh, Am I dumb! "

b. Larry - during the circle shaving scene-  dips his straight razor into his pajama top, and ,while snorting, tears out a huge brillo ball of chest hair then proudly throws it down.

YEAH, yeah!  All of those too!!!! Wow....I forgot about every single one, and I cant believe I didnt remember those ::)
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline kinderscenen

Another shining moment--most of "He Cooked His Goose." The golf ball scene, the ominous music that accompanied his "evil thoughts," and the "Pet Man" cards (among other bits) make this short probably one of the best examples of how funny Larry could be in what would usually be given to Shemp or Curly's role.
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline Sr. Peedro Alvarez

As the Three Horseman from Boulder Dam, the boys were trying to elude the gangsters by hiding in the kitchen of the apartment when Moe tells Larry:

Moe: Get outa da way.
Larry: I can't. I'm holding 'em back.
Moe: Get outa da way!
Larry: I can't. I'm holding 'em back!!
Larry: WAAHHH!!! (After getting boiling water poured on his ass by Moe.)

And,

"Oh Nelly you're here at last."
"You got me wrong stranger." Then Moe slams his head on the ceiling of the railcar.

Or when he puts ants on the cake that Curly calls "OOHH, Poppy Seed cake. Want some?"   "Oh, No."

I could go on, but....
Glad To Meet Me.

Offline Senorita Rita

I though Larry was absolutely hilarious in the MGM short "Plane Nuts." His "I'm from the South" monologue was just nutty, and I laughed out loud at his impression of the "wind."  :D
...to say the least, if not less...

Offline Baggie

Ha ha I love that, I totally forgot all about the MGM shorts. When Ted asks Larry "So you're from the South, eh?" what the hell is Larry supposed to be saying? Whatever it is it's funny!  :D
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline boom boom stooge

• Grapehead
  • nyuk,nyuk,nyuk. grrrr woof,woof.
I don't remember the title well but it is when moe, larry and i believe curly were building a house for their wives and moe's index finger gets stuck on a water service pipe. He asks for help. Larry ask moe if he's stuck. When moe says yes, that's when larry has a great moment kicking moes butt. :D At least for a moment he took good advantage of the situation .IT WAS REALLY FUNNY.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 05:17:37 PM by boom boom stooge »
hey, what's the idea!

Offline goofontheroof

Yes, but then it wasnt very funny for Larry when Moe finally broke free!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I don't remember the title well but it is when moe, larry and i believe curly were building a house for their wives and moe's index finger gets stuck on a water service pipe. He asks for help. Larry ask moe if he's stuck. When moe says yes, that's when larry has a great moment kicking moes butt. :D At least for a moment he took good advantage of the situation .IT WAS REALLY FUNNY.  ;D

The episode is THE SITTER-DOWNERS (1937).

Yes, but then it wasnt very funny for Larry when Moe finally broke free!

Actually, goof, that's one episode where Larry got completely away with dogging Moe.  Moe chased him after he got free, but never caught up with Larry or punished him for it.
 [stooges]

Offline boom boom stooge

• Grapehead
  • nyuk,nyuk,nyuk. grrrr woof,woof.
That's very true Rob. they even put dynamite on curly's feet blowing him  up on to the top of a tree. :o :D :'( :D
hey, what's the idea!

Jimmie Adams

To me, the best Larry short is HE COOKED HIS GOOSE.  Most of my Stooge buddies don't hold this one in high regard, but for some reason this short still slays me.  I am also in the minority when I say that another Larry prominent short, CUCKOO ON THE CHOO CHOO is hilarious, and gives Larry time to shine.

Am amazing Larry moment is near the end of HOI POLLOI when Moe smack Larry across the face for real with gusto.  Put it in slo-mo and see it for yourself.

Offline bustoff2

Holy Cow!  I thought I was a Stooge expert, but you folks even know the names of the episodes!! I do, of course remember every scene in every episode...and the one that still cracks me up, to this day is when Curly gets knocked out of the tree and falls smack dab on the woman!  The total dissregard for propriety...Imagine a 230 lb man falling 20 feet on top of a woman! The theater goers must have been howling! That was 1938 or so. My stoic mother accually laughed at that one..Tho she never really GOT the stooges. Thank You.

Pilsner Panther

Holy Cow!  I thought I was a Stooge expert, but you folks even know the names of the episodes!! I do, of course remember every scene in every episode...and the one that still cracks me up, to this day is when Curly gets knocked out of the tree and falls smack dab on the woman!  The total dissregard for propriety...Imagine a 230 lb man falling 20 feet on top of a woman! The theater goers must have been howling! That was 1938 or so. My stoic mother accually laughed at that one..Tho she never really GOT the stooges. Thank You.

Marcia Healy (Ted's sister) to Curly in the tree: "Come down outta there, Tarzan!"

That total disregard for propriety is what made the Stooges the Stooges...!

>:D

Offline bustoff2

Yes!! Come down from there Tarzan! Forgot that line...now I want to see it again. But the way that the Spike TV is only getting in 2 episodes in an hour is the worst Ive ever seen...Isnt that 2 min. of show, and 1 min. of commercial??  Isnt there some sort of FCC regulation on how many commercials that  you can have on a Stooge show??? Thank You.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
To me, the best Larry short is HE COOKED HIS GOOSE.  Most of my Stooge buddies don't hold this one in high regard, but for some reason this short still slays me.  I am also in the minority when I say that another Larry prominent short, CUCKOO ON THE CHOO CHOO is hilarious, and gives Larry time to shine.

Am amazing Larry moment is near the end of HOI POLLOI when Moe smack Larry across the face for real with gusto.  Put it in slo-mo and see it for yourself.

Those are interesting choices, Jimmie.  I believe Larry was reported as saying that Cuckoo on the Choo Choo was his personal favorite, because of his "Marlon Brando" impersonation.  I've always liked that one myself, just because it is so surreal.

I'm not as fond of He Cooked His Goose, but it's still pretty funny.  Larry certainly dominates both films, and seemed to have had a ball being in the limelight.   :D

In a way, I think Larry was the "glue that held the Stooges together" on screen, even if only subliminally sometimes.  I often find myself focusing on Larry and watching his reactions as events unfold in the shorts, and he could be hilarious without saying a word.

Offline McSnuff20

One of my favorite Larry scenes is in Playing the Ponies when Moe and Curly have eaten some hot pepperinos and ran for the trough.  Larry says to Moe "And you ate some too."  Moe shoves some in Larry's mouth, he grabs a bottle of water, downs it and says "it's Kerosene." Thunderbolt laughs hysterically.

I love the dance lessons in 'Hoi Polloi' when the dance instructor has the bee on her back and she tells the boys to do exactly as she does. Then she goes nuts and the Stooges do exactly like her. Watch Larry dance.
Glad To Meet Me.

Jimmie Adams

Here's where I lose my Stooge creds on this board:  Moe never made me laugh.  Just something about him.  There is so much regard for Curly and Shemp and rightly so, but Larry seems to me to have a most fascinating comic personna.  There is always a good Larry gag in every short.

Another Larry moment I like is in GYPPED IN THE PENTHOUSE at the begining where it's just Larry and Shemp having drinks.  These men had been friends in real life at this time for 30 years and it kinda shows in these scenes.  Intersting dynamic watching these two without Moe.

Offline Robbie883

One of my favorite Larry moments is more of somthing he says rather than somthing he does. In Dizzy Pilots when their trying to get Moe down after hes filled up with gas Curly tries to shoot him down. When Larry says " Are you an idiot, how dumb can you be to use a rifle! You might miss him, here use the shotgun!" LOL I laughed for hours.  :D

Offline kinderscenen

Here's where I lose my Stooge creds on this board:  Moe never made me laugh.  Just something about him.  There is so much regard for Curly and Shemp and rightly so, but Larry seems to me to have a most fascinating comic personna.  There is always a good Larry gag in every short.

That's interesting--I recently realized that while it was rare for Larry to get the spotlight, it was even rarer for Moe to get a laugh that wasn't at the expense of the other 2 Stooges. Granted, whenever his anger backfired, it was hysterical, but the only line I can really recall that made me laugh out loud was from "Swing Parade of 1946", when he goes through the whole "wrong number" routine.  Then again, the Stooges' performances in that movie were a pleasant surprise, considering the time and Curly's health (which doesn't seem to be much of a factor here as it did in the Columbia shorts).

But there was just something about Larry--maybe it was the fact that that his personality was similar to the character, maybe it was the whole "devil may care" attitude, but for some reason, he could just be funny in the background.

Sunday
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

I often wondered why in 'Gents Without Cents', Larry's blooper was never edited. He started to say "Inch by inch" when he was supposed to say "Step by step" first.  I know this topic is about Larry's best moments, but I believe this was one of Larry's best known moments because of his mistake.
Glad To Meet Me.

Offline McSnuff20

I enjoyed Larry when he dressed as a woman.  He was Moronica in "Higher Than A Kite" and of course a harem girl in "Wee Wee Monsieur." But my favorite bit is in Pop Goes the Easel when he puts on a dress and wig so the cop won't recognize him.  He is so funny flirting with the cop.  All three are great in that scene but I love the way Larry walks up to the cop.  "Oh Mother I'm gonna tell Father on you.

How about when Larry was floating in the tub with the balloons holding him up while he was smoking a cigar (wearing a swimsuit no less). Of course, the cigar gets to close to the balloon and....... aw you know what happens.  Classic!
Glad To Meet Me.

Offline TourdeStooges

One of the reasons that Men in Black is always in my Top 10 list is Larry's performance.  His two best scenes in that one are (1) when he's leering over the nurse at the desk while Moe and Curly are arguing in front of the Call Board, and (2) when he's running his thumb along the edge of the large butcher knife in the operating room, saying the line, "Let's pluck 'im, and see if he's ripe!"
 [yikes]
I agree with Dunrobin here, plus I would add Larry's scene when they're treating the woman in the coma and Larry sings "Bub bub a boo. Bub bub a boo" into Moe's stephoscope.
Come join us May 3, 2008, for the Tour de Stooges bicycle ride in our new home in Highland, Ill.
http://stooges.rogerkramercycling.org/

Offline Guada

Larry was a great comediant, I think one of his best moments is when he cannot answer the complicated question in "Violent is the word for Curly".

Offline McSnuff20

I also love watching Larry's reaction to Moe and Curley.  I must admit I only like the Stooges up until before Curley's stroke.  Shorts like Rythum and Weep, Three Loan Wolves, and G.I. Wanna Go Home were not their best work.  My favorites were way back Pardon My Scotch, Pain in the Pullman, Goofs and Saddles, Tassels in the Air, Movie Maniacs, Whoops I'm an Indian, etc.  Larry really was the glue that held the stooges together.  It seemed Larry took a backseat when Moe and Curley got going but Larry had to react to everything.  A true showman.  Another of my favorite Larry bits was when the boys do the Lowland Shim (Pardon My Scotch) and watch Larry with the long kilt and the way he ends the dance.  Lay on McDuff...  Also when they do the harem dance in Wee Wee Monsieur. No one could do the "I can't see, I can't see. I got my eyes closed" bit better than Larry.