Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Larry's best moments

Offline wallawalla

• Grapehead
  • I think the goat walked right through it, I'm sure
Every so often Larry has a small moment in the spotlight and I saw one today while watching the Spike TV marathon. In Crime on Their Hands the segment where Larry is going back and forth from the closet (and Moe) to the gorilla's cage is one of my favorites. He sounds so geniunely addled at the end.

Other favorite Larry scenes?

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
One of the reasons that Men in Black is always in my Top 10 list is Larry's performance.  His two best scenes in that one are (1) when he's leering over the nurse at the desk while Moe and Curly are arguing in front of the Call Board, and (2) when he's running his thumb along the edge of the large butcher knife in the operating room, saying the line, "Let's pluck 'im, and see if he's ripe!"
 [yikes]

Offline FineBari3

Every so often Larry has a small moment in the spotlight and I saw one today while watching the Spike TV marathon. In Crime on Their Hands the segment where Larry is going back and forth from the closet (and Moe) to the gorilla's cage is one of my favorites. He sounds so geniunely addled at the end.

In Slippery Silks (the one when they inheirit the 'Madame de France store)....Larry is painting his cabinet, and he has about 6 brushes in his mouth!

Also, in All Gummed Up (the one with the Marshmallow Gumbo cake), Larry eats the candle!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Stooge

Also, in All Gummed Up (the one with the Marshmallow Gumbo cake), Larry eats the candle!

Speaking of which, I always wondered how he held a lit candle in his mouth for so long without burning himself.  Does anyone know how he did that?

Pilsner Panther

The scene in "Punch Drunks" where Larry runs all over town at top speed, trying to find a radio that plays "Pop Goes The Weasel." Larry is hilarious all the way through that short, though. Another great scene is when he sits down at ringside and tunes up his violin with an angelic grin on his face, figuring that he's about to fix everything and help Curly win the fight... not!

Honorable mention to the "Longer arm, shorter wall" bit in "Goof On The Roof." No matter how many times I see that, the sheer illogic of Larry's "thinking" always cracks me up.

There are so many great Larry moments that it would be impossible to list them all, but those two came right to mind.

;D ;D ;D

I don't know how they did the candle gag, but that's only one of a number of Stooges physical gags that I've never been able to figure out.

???

Offline wallawalla

• Grapehead
  • I think the goat walked right through it, I'm sure
Some great Larry moments posted so far. :)

Speaking of which, I always wondered how he held a lit candle in his mouth for so long without burning himself.  Does anyone know how he did that?

I have a theory. Since there's a cut in the film just as he starts pulling the candle out of his mouth, he could have just held his mouth open and put the lit candle in and pulled it immediately back out again. That wouldn't have taken but a second and they cut it so you couldn't tell. Couple that with a little thing in his mouth that would protect the roof of his mouth even for a moment, and it would be pretty safe.

Offline FineBari3

It was probably filmed in reverse, but I am not sure. Lots of silent vets running the camera and directing and writing gags for the Stooges!
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline bobbalt

My favorite Larry moment is seldom mentioned...it is from the generally weak film "Rhythm and Weep."  When Larry kisses his girl, he says, "This I like!  And I get paid for it, too!"

Offline Stoop

My favorite Larry moment is in Dizzy Doctors, when Larry is selling Brighto to the policeman. The conversation between the two of them makes me laugh every time I see it!  [pound]
It takes an estimated 2,893 licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop.

Offline kinderscenen

Plenty come to mind, but these stick out most:

In "Rhythm and Weep," his scenes with Molly and the baby are hysterical, especially when he's mixing the drink (then lighting a cigarette to get the taste out of his mouth!).  When Moe and Curly return, his explanation of how the baby got there is priceless: "Business as usual."

"Brideless Groom": Anyone who has either attended or accompanied a recital (with a hideous sounding singer) can definitely laugh at Larry's facial expressions when Ms. Dunkelmeyer belts out her high notes! He just keeps playing while Shemp's going nuts!  It makes me laugh hysterically every time.

"Pest Man Wins": "You forgot these....looks like we're in the same racket, buddy!"

How can I forget the conversation in "Three Dark Horses?" "You got worms?" "Yeah, but I'm going anyway!"

And in the last example, he doesn't even say anything, but in "Who Done It?" notice when Larry's speaking on the phone, and out of nowhere (at least out of camera range) you see Moe's hand flying in for the slap, which was hard enough to make spit fly.  That was always a rewind spot. The magic hand from nowhere!

Sunday
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
In "Rhythm and Weep," his scenes with Molly and the baby are hysterical, especially when he's mixing the drink (then lighting a cigarette to get the taste out of his mouth!).  When Moe and Curly return, his explanation of how the baby got there is priceless: "Business as usual."

That scene is from Even as I.O.U. Three Loan Wolves, kinderscenen, not Rhythm and Weep.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 03:09:49 PM by Dunrobin »

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

That scene is from Even as I.O.U., kinderscenen, not Rhythm and Weep.

THREE LOAN WOLVES (1946)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

A couple spring to mind...

BRIDELESS GROOM (1947)
Benton:  "My poor piano."
Larry:  "Shaddup!"

STUDIO STOOPS (1950)
Larry: "Hey, ya better lock that door in case our adversaries come back."
Moe: "Adversaries?  When did you get so smart?"
Larry:  "Ah, I been smart all da time, only you didn't know it.  Say, when I come back, I'll give ya a password."
Moe:  "Swell.  What'll it be?"
Larry:  "Open the door."

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster

That scene is from Even as I.O.U., kinderscenen, not Rhythm and Weep.

THREE LOAN WOLVES (1946)

D'oh!   [faint2]

I can't believe I mixed those two up again!  [yikes]

Offline FineBari3

A couple spring to mind...

BRIDELESS GROOM (1947)
Benton:  "My poor piano."
Larry:  "Shaddup!"

OMIGOD!!! How could I forget!!!!  One of my 'top 5' Stooge moments!!!!!

The visual too; Larry shoves poor Emil right in the face!
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline Robbie883

Two Larry moments that always come to mind are from the short, Men In Black, where Larry has a really evil face and hes slowly going toward the secretary  >:D . Also when they are doing surgery to get the same combonation out of the man's chest and he says "Lets pluck'em and see if he's ripe!"  :D

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Disorder in the Court: Everybody knows this scene; After removing a wad of gum off Moe's nose with a piece of paper, Larry (obviously pleased with his "heroics") throws down the paper, steps on it & belts out a triumphant Tarzan yell.

Also from Three Loan Wolves, his 3 bears story he's reciting to Junior while Moe & Curly make faces behind him. And later after Moe smacks him when he says "How dare you strike a mother with an infant in his arms".

And who can forget Larry's smile at the camera in Who Done It?

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Two Larry moments that always come to mind are from the short, Men In Black, where Larry has a really evil face and hes slowly going toward the secretary  >:D . Also when they are doing surgery to get the same combonation out of the man's chest and he says "Lets pluck'em and see if he's ripe!"  :D

Odd... didn't I say that?   ???  >:D

Offline goofontheroof

My all time favourite moment of the stooges is in Goof on the roof when larry takes the tumble over the hose when he's running back with a bucket of water. It cracks me up every time

I agree with the part of Three loan wolves when larry is left alone to mind the store - it shows what he is really capable of when left to his own devices.

also, the very end of So long Mr chumps - the look of appreciation he gives Curly when he says "hey that's a real one.. i'm no fool"!

Offline kinderscenen

Well! I guess I should never watch one Stooge short while talking about another.  'Tis a sign of age, I suppose...

D'oh!

Sunday

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Two more great 'Larry' moments that come to mind:

SCRAMBLED BRAINS- "What seems to be the trouble?" (Emil Sitka referring to sick Shemp)
                              "You're the doctor, you oughta know!" (Larry's wise-ass response)
Of course, he immediately gets slapped by Moe for saying it.

HOLD THAT LION - Larry's loud chuckle as he props his feet up in Ichabod Slipp's office chair before getting confronted and beaten up by Slipp.

Pilsner Panther

My favorite Larry moment is in Dizzy Doctors, when Larry is selling Brighto to the policeman. The conversation between the two of them makes me laugh every time I see it!  [pound]

That's a really funny scene, especially because of the dog tearing at Larry's pants leg behind the fence, when he's trying to keep calm while he's talking to the cop (Bud Jamison). Truly classic slapstick comedy!

:D

Offline kinderscenen

Silly me! I forgot my all time, number one favorite from "Love At First Bite."

Moe: I know, let's cremate him!
Larry: Can't do that, we ain't got no cream!

The sheer stupidity of the line, along with the silliness of the drunk scene is just priceless.

rvoyttbots

I don`t remember the name of the short but it is the first time this gag is used.

Larry: "I can`t see! I can`t see!"

Moe: "What`s the matter?"

Larry: "I got my eyes closed." With a silly grin on his face.

SMACK

Offline strubachinkoscow

1. Heavenly Daze:
Moe - "I say Lord Larry-ing-ton" <Moe in a tux smoking through  a twin cigar holder >

Larry - "Oh there you are Sir Moe-ing-ton! Cheerio, Pip-Pip, and all that sort of rot, old thing, old stump, old fishmonger, old skunkbait! " <Larry elegantly drags his cigarette through a 3 foot cigarette holder >

Moe-  "Well you don't have to over do it!" <Slaps Larry >

2. Gypped in the Penthouse:

Larry - "Hey what the Hey!!!"

Moe -" Who is this spotted racoon?"

3. Hokus Pokus

a. Larry - " Oh I Gotta have a mixing bowl... Ahhh! Let's see.. Nah, Too Small... This oughtta do it... Glug <milk like substance pours on his face > What stupid imbecillic fool put that..ah, ah, oh...<sputters into hand > ...... I did! Oh, Am I dumb! "

b. Larry - during the circle shaving scene-  dips his straight razor into his pajama top, and ,while snorting, tears out a huge brillo ball of chest hair then proudly throws it down.

How do you like that? I'm dancin to the trombone part!