Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Honeymooners Comparison?

Offline pipboytaylor

Can anyone give me any input on a quality comparison between the new Honeymooners Lost Episode Dvd set vs the original MPI 6 volume set? I fought and scrapped to get the 6 volumes. I didn't know if it would be worth it to do this "double dip". I know some episodes were pretty rough viewing like the "Beat The Clock" episode. I have read conflicting reports on the predicted restoration if any. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline moella

• Porcupine
  • Remind me to kill you later.
I don't have the original MPI set, but I did buy the new collection.  I couldn't resist 15 DVDs of material I only had half or less of taped from TV Land.  Frankly, I think the quality is excellent.  I do find the volume to be a bit on the low side, but the original-39 package is the same way.  I'm very happy with the new set.

xraffle

I would like to see some myself as I would love to get this set someday. I know I have 90% of the content already, but $60 is worth it considering that I'll be getting some new episodes that were never available to see until now.

Offline falsealarms

I'm interested in this set as well, but would like to see it get a little cheaper. I've only seen the classic 39 and maybe 5-10 of these lost episodes.

By the way, a couple months ago, I sent a Honeymooners 4x6 to Joyce Randolph, and she signed it for me: http://i45.tinypic.com/35iq2cw.jpg

xraffle

I'm interested in this set as well, but would like to see it get a little cheaper.

Personally, for 50 hours of content, the $60 price tag on Amazon is a real bargain. These are good episodes. Some episodes are as short as 7 minutes and some are as long as 40 minutes. In my opinion, I think a lot of these lost episodes are better than the classic 39 ones. And since these were performed live on Gleason's variety show with very little rehearsal, there are a lot of goofs and it's hilarious the way Gleason and the other casts cover things up. If you don't own any of these episodes, then I'd say grab it at that $60 price tag! It's well worth it. I couldn't recommend a better bang for your buck!

Offline falsealarms

Personally, for 50 hours of content, the $60 price tag on Amazon is a real bargain. These are good episodes. Some episodes are as short as 7 minutes and some are as long as 40 minutes. In my opinion, I think a lot of these lost episodes are better than the classic 39 ones. And since these were performed live on Gleason's variety show with very little rehearsal, there are a lot of goofs and it's hilarious the way Gleason and the other casts cover things up. If you don't own any of these episodes, then I'd say grab it at that $60 price tag! It's well worth it. I couldn't recommend a better bang for your buck!

I didn't notice it until it was too late, but one price tracker site shows that a third party on Amazon briefly had it for 39.99 a couple months ago .... wish I saw that. I just own 5 of the lost episodes via the short "best of" set they put out before releasing the big box.

I've heard some say they prefer these as well, but partly because the classic 39 are kind of played out (to some).

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
a couple months ago, I sent a Honeymooners 4x6 to Joyce Randolph, and she signed it for me: http://i45.tinypic.com/35iq2cw.jpg

"The Honeymooners" began as a series of variety show sketches 61 years ago; it's last performance was a TV special 34 years ago.  In that time-period, 4 actresses played 'Trixie Norton,' and all 4 are still alive!...
 -  Elaine Stritch (1951), and still performing on Broadway
 -  Joyce Randolph (1951 - 1957)
 -  Patricia Wilson (1962)
 -  Jane Kean (1966 - 1978)

Also there from the beginning was character actor Frank Marth (cop, crook, lodge brother, neighbor, reporter, bus driver, etc.), still living at age 90.

And, two 'Alice Kramden' actresses are still with us...
 -  Sue Ane Langdon (1962)
 -  Sheila MacRae (1966 - 1970)

xraffle

This set just keep going down in price. It's now $59.11 at Amazon. My birthday will be in a month. If this price stays the same or goes down, then I'll probably buy this as a gift to myself. ;D

At this price point, I think it's low enough for me to finally bite.

Offline falsealarms

xraffle, what are some of your favorite lost episodes? I've only seen 5 or so, but "Principle Of The Thing" (Jack Benny cameo) and "Stand In For Murder" were especially good. I  saw the second version of the latter.

xraffle

It's hard to pick since there are so many good ones. But I really liked "My Fair Landlord" and "Ralph's Sweet Tooth."

"Stand In For Murder" was a good episode. Unfortunately, I own the 1954 version, which was the version that ran overtime on the Jackie Gleason show and therefore, it was cut out abruptly and no one saw the ending except for the studio audience. The version you own, which is the one included in the "Best of" DVD, is the remake which had an actual ending. This box set has both versions. I'm dying to see the remake just to see how it ends. I was planning to get the "Best of" DVD for $7 just to get that version, but I decided not to because I see myself buying the box set one day. There's a whole bunch of episodes that are added onto this box set that were released for the first time. It would be great to finally see them. That is why I'm willing to spend $60 on this set. I think it will be $60 well spent.

Offline falsealarms

"Ralph's Sweet Tooth" sounds like a riot.

Over at another message board, someone posted:

This info gathered from booklet scans posted to Sitcoms Online:

The 2 never-before-seen Dumont sketches are:
"Alice & Ralph Get Dressed for a Date Last Night" (11/30/51)
"The Ring Salesman" 2nd version (Spring 1952)
...for a total of 9 Dumont sketches.

The 15 never-before-seen CBS sketches are:
"The Turkey" 9/27/52
"Halloween Party" 10/25/52 (previously reported as "Masquerade/Question Mark")
"Christmas Party" 12/20/52
"The Dorsey Brothers Show" 5/23/53
"Fortune Teller" 4/3/54
"Santa and the Bookies" 2nd version 12/18/54
"Letter to the Boss" 2nd version 5/21/55
...and the 8 Trip to Europe hours.

Other CBS sketches new to DVD:
"The New Bowling Ball" 9/20/52 - 1st Audrey Meadows sketch
"Six Months to Live" 12/13/52
"Sprained Thumb" 9/19/53 (a.k.a. Bus Accident)
"What's the Name?" 2nd version 5/15/54
"Love Letter" 1st version 10/16/54
"Manager of the Baseball Team" 2nd version 6/1/57
(Additionally, the 2nd version of "Stand in for Murder" quietly appeared on the Best of Lost Episodes release.)

Still lost:
"The Missing Pair of Pants" 12/6/52
"Easter Hats" 4/4/53
"Alice's Birthday" 5/16/53
...But scripts of these 3 sketches are included!

And alternate performances of "Sprained Thumb," "Halloween Party," and "Six Months to Live" are lost.

xraffle

Oddly enough, pretty much all of those new episodes were supposedly lost and no where to be found. I wonder how these were found.  :-\

xraffle

Someone at the Sitcoms Online forum posted this comparison screenshot:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showpost.php?p=4584450&postcount=32

I believe that the "Best of Collection" DVD screenshot should look the same as this "Complete Restored Series" set.

Offline falsealarms

An early sketch with Pert Kelton is on YouTube (using some prior release, this was posted in 2009)

Going by that, sometimes the casting isn't right the first time around. Kelton looks too old for the part (she was almost decade older than Gleason) and her voice isn't that pleasant. Kelton has nothing on the "Alice" done by Audrey Meadows. Gleason is in good form here, though.

Offline pipboytaylor

Yeah, to me it just isn't the Honeymooners without the 4 mainstays. Gleason, Meadows, Carney & Randolph. It's the only reason I haven't been interested in any of the "Color Honeymooners" or latter shows. It just would not have the same chemistry, especially without Audrey Meadows. Joyce Randoplh was ok, but not essential I guess. Not as Audrey anyway.

Offline archiezappa

I love the Honeymooners.  I have read a biography on Jackie Gleason.  Interesting life he lead.  I also loved him as the sheriff in "Smokey And The Bandit."  Anyway, I don't have any Honeymooners DVD's, yet.  I used to watch them on TBS, as I did The Three Stooges, many, many times.  I've seen the "classic 39" several times over.  Love 'em!

I've seen some of the lost episodes, particularly, one that aired back in October 2004 on Comedy Central.  Apparently, this episode was lost, until they found it and the 2004 broadcast was the first time it had ever seen a rerun.  I don't know what episode it was.  Is it on the new box set?  Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Offline archiezappa

While we're on the subject.  Way back in the late 80's/early 90's, they (TBS) used to air a music video called "I'm A Honeymoonie," which showed clips from the Honeymooners, similar to "The Curly Shuffle" video.  Anyone know who sang this song?  Has anyone else seen the video I'm talking about?

xraffle

Going by that, sometimes the casting isn't right the first time around. Kelton looks too old for the part (she was almost decade older than Gleason) and her voice isn't that pleasant. Kelton has nothing on the "Alice" done by Audrey Meadows. Gleason is in good form here, though.

I think that's what Gleason originally wanted. When Audrey Meadows auditioned for the role, Gleason originally thought she was too young and pretty for the part and didn't want to hire her. So Audrey took a picture of herself in house clothes after she just woke up and sent it to Gleason. He had such a big kick out of it that he decided to hire her because of her sense of humor.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I've seen some of the lost episodes, particularly, one that aired back in October 2004 on Comedy Central.  Apparently, this episode was lost, until they found it and the 2004 broadcast was the first time it had ever seen a rerun.  I don't know what episode it was.  Is it on the new box set?

All known, surviving "lost" sketches are included in the box set, 107 total.

Offline archiezappa

All known, surviving "lost" sketches are included in the box set, 107 total.

Oh, okay.  Cool!  Thanks.

Offline falsealarms

After selling a bunch of old DVDs, I went ahead and bit on this. This release is like a solid brick, jammed with 50 hours of content.

I've only had a chance to watch disc 1 and one on disc 2, but some general impressions -

1) I warmed up to Pert Kelton, but Meadows still does a better Alice.

2) Aubrey Meadows' appearance in her earliest skits seem a little messier, not as well groomed as in the classic 39. Kind of adds character.

3) Trixie seems to show up more often early on than in the classic 39.

4) Elaine Stritch's Trixie was awkward.

5) Norton's character hadn't peaked yet in these earliest ones.

6) As far as the previously lost/new to DVD ones, these have stood out.... ones like "Alice & Ralph Get Dressed for a Date Last Night" (11/30/51), "Halloween Party" 10/25/52 , and "The Turkey" 9/27/52

7) A couple other early standouts: "Glow Worm Cleaning" and "Jellybeans"

xraffle

Congratulations on your purchase! You won't be sorry you bought this. The episodes will get a lot better as you approach the longer 30+ minute ones. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion after you've finished watching the whole set.

I plan on buying this next month. I have never seen the Pert Kelton ones, so I'd be interested in watching those myself.

xraffle

I finally bought this set and receive it yesterday in the mail. I watched the Pert Kelton episodes yesterday and they're in beat up shape. But we're lucky to even have them as we were very close to losing these for good. So, I'll take them. After watching the Pert Kelton episodes, it makes me appreciate Audrey Meadows even more. She's ok, but I like Meadows better. I look forward to watching the rest of the set. It will be a busy two weeks.

If you look at Amazon and a few other forums out there, people said they had issues with Discs 1-3. In discs 1-2, people said that they couldn't select an episode from the menu until the background music finishes. And on disc 3, people said that the menu doesn't show up when you pop in the disc. It just goes right into playing the first episode on the disc. I'm happy to report that it looks like these issues have been fixed on newer batches. I did not have any of those issues with those 3 discs. If anyone has an old copy with these issues, you probably can write to MPI and have your discs replaced.

By the way, I have 6 volumes of the old DVD release. I will post comparison screenshots sometime this week.

Offline pipboytaylor

Hey "xraffle", if you can, could you give me some feedback on the "Beat The Clock" episode (not sure of the correct title). This episode was really in poor shape on the old dvds. I was just wondering if there was any improvement. thanks.

xraffle

I checked and it looks fine. I don't have the old DVD of that episode, so I can't really say if there was any improvement. I did have it on VHS and that one looked fine as well. What was wrong with the previous DVD release?