Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Honeymooners Comparison?

Offline pipboytaylor

A couple of screencaps from my dvds.

Well, maybe it isn't any worse than some but it just seems washed out and distorted more than others. No sharpness at all. Probably, it is what it is, but when I read some of the things that might be possible with the restoration I was hoping for a little higher quality.

xraffle

Yeah, the new DVD looks a bit washed out too. Tonight, I'll post screenshots of those two from the new DVD. That way, you can see for yourself if there was any improvement.

xraffle

Here are the screenshots for "Beat The Clock" on the new DVD set. Not much difference.

Offline pipboytaylor

Thanks for the feedback "xraffle". I agree, not much of a change. I think I'll stick with what I have for now. I know I could get a few more "lost" episodes with the new set, not sure how many, but you can't buy everything.

xraffle

Yeah, there isn't much difference in quality. In fact, there are a few that are a bit worse. For example, in Lost Job, the sound gets a bit corrupted in the end. And in Alice Plays Cupid, the picture jumps a few times. These issues were not on the VHS copies I had. So, it looks like the source material deteriorated a bit more over the last decade. So, while there are a some episodes that look better than the previous version, there will be some that look and sound worse. However, this set does have a quite a bit of new episodes. I can't wait to watch Fortune Teller. I heard that's a good episodes that's available for the first time ever! So, I'm happy with my purchase.

I'm hoping to have some more comparison screenshots posted over the weekend.

xraffle

Here are the comparison screenshots I promised.

Boys and Girls Together
Previous DVD
New Restored DVD Set

Previous DVD
New Restored DVD Set

A Promotion
Previous DVD
New Restored DVD Set

Previous DVD
New Restored DVD Set

Hair Raising Tale
Previous DVD
New Restored DVD Set

The previous DVD was zoomed in order to hide the vertical line on the right side. The new restored set shows the full picture and exposes the vertical line.

Previous DVD
New Restored DVD Set

The Great Jewel Robbery
Previous DVD
New Restored DVD Set

Previous DVD
New Restored DVD Set

Offline moglia

xraffle - thanks for all the time and effort that went into the caps!  Seeing them side by side it really becomes apparent how much landscape we gain with the new box except for the 2nd set of shots which is cropped closer. Wonder why they felt the need to do it for that one?

While I think the new collection looks a decent amount better, they are still transfers from kinescope's. Only so much improvement is possible and the wall may now have been hit.  The general feeling around the "interwebs" is that this will be a rare occurrence in which Blu-Ray would look noticeably worse than DVD instead of the opposite.

Early on in this topic someone mentioned the low volume, for these kinescope recordings believe me when i say you don't want them made louder via digital means. While you could get some gain it would be at the expense of clarity and probably over-modulation. If your home theater has the wattage increasing the volume through your analogue pot [Volume control] is the best bet and even that won't yield the greatest of results.

Enjoy the Complete Series box warts and all, it's something many wanted for nearly half a century - as for myself since I found out about Ralph and the gang from later 80's reruns as a small child....

P.S. For those with issues with some of the discs remember MPI video will replace them if contacted. Although I was a bit upset having to ship the defective discs back to them at my cost it was worth it in the end and they were very fast getting the new ones out to me.

xraffle

I'm almost done with the set. I'm up to Disc 10. This sure is a huge set that takes forever to finish. But anyways, the picture quality is definitely better than the previous sets. The picture has a more film-like look to it compared to the previous sets. The previous sets look like they were transferred from the VHS copies. This new set looks like these were transferred directly from the kinescope films. While the quality isn't as good as the Classic 39 episodes, this is the best these will ever look so I'm sure everyone will be pleased with the way these look.

As for the volume, yeah, it's a bit on the low side. In fact, some episodes have low dialogue with loud laugh tracks. Not sure why it's like that. The previous sets never had that issue.