Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Shemp's replacement?

vomit · 9 · 2412

Offline vomit

My apologies if there is a thread on this.....

I read somewhere (I thought here) where Moe wanted a black actor (obviously I forgot his name) to take Shemp's position after he passed.

Does anyone have a link or info. on this?  I would appreciate it.

Vomit
Specto Caelum!

Offline falsealarms

My apologies if there is a thread on this.....

I read somewhere (I thought here) where Moe wanted a black actor (obviously I forgot his name) to take Shemp's position after he passed.

Does anyone have a link or info. on this?  I would appreciate it.

Vomit

Mantan Moreland.

“We really should’a made Mantan our next third Stooge,” said Moe in a ’70s interview with Michael H. Price. According to Moe, Besser was “a hired hand, a prissy little snot with a star ego, who made it plain that he considered our stuff a demotion.” Besser only lasted two years with the act, before being replaced by Curly Joe DeRita in 1958.

Read more @ http://cravenlovelace.com/cravenblog/2008/08/the-stooge-that-almost-was/

Offline locoboymakesgood

Moe called Besser a prissy little snot? I had no idea. That's a revelation to me. We all know Besser wasn't fond of his being a Stooge until his later years but I didn't know that Moe didn't really like him.

I remember Moreland from the Charlie Chan pictures but I didn't know he had the possibility of a being a third Stooge. Fascinating.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

This is a revelation.  Too bad Moe didn't cover this in his autobiography.  Would have loved to read his version of that story.

Offline vomit

Moe called Besser a prissy little snot? I had no idea. That's a revelation to me. We all know Besser wasn't fond of his being a Stooge until his later years but I didn't know that Moe didn't really like him.

I remember Moreland from the Charlie Chan pictures but I didn't know he had the possibility of a being a third Stooge. Fascinating.

Thanks.  Very informational.  "Prissly little snot" indeed.  The Besser shorts are the sad end to the shorts era. One wonders what Mantan Moreland could have done......undoubtedly it would have been better.
Specto Caelum!

Offline vomit

Offline middlenamewayne

That's amazing stuff regarding Mantan Moreland! I was afraid at first that the OP had been fooled by my old prank posts on usenet. See, when colorization was all the rage (literally),  there was some talk of making a certain percentage of people in colorized movie into "people of color". So at one point  I tried to spread a rumor that the new rule required 1/3 non-whites per reprocessed film and the Columbia execs were busy deciding which one of the Stooges would be the "token black" of the team!

- mnw

Bet you never saw this '70s pilot for an inter-racial/-national Amos & Andy spinoff:

Offline Lefty

Maybe if Mantan Moreland (or Emil Sitka, or anyone else for that matter) had been Shemp's replacement, there just might have been a lot more than 16 shorts, and Curly-Joe (a Philadelphia native like Larry) would have been much more unknown.