Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Let's discuss a fun topic - back pain

Offline metaldams

Hello boys and girls, children of all ages.  Today I would like to bring up a topic that I can't believe has never been discussed on a comedy board before - back pain.  I imagine I can't be the only one here who has issues.

I have been dealing with back issues for years now, and it's the reason why the metaldams of 2012 doesn't type long posts like the metaldams of 2002, because it hurts to sit down for a long period of time.

However, I'd be interested in your opinion on something.  Is back pain strictly a physical thing, or do you believe psychological issues and stress produce back pain?  There's this guy, Dr. John Sarno, who believes stress triggers back pain and if we can get to the core of our psychological issues and truly believe the back pain will go away, it will.  I will give you guys his appearance on the Howard Stern show because it's light and fun, but this guy has some serious stuff on youtube you can search and also has books on amazon well worth checking out.  I will tell you this, I woke this this morning with less back and neck pain than I have in ages after listening to this guy.

Is he crazy or not?  Discuss, and are there any other back pain sufferers in the house?  If so, holla my dawgz and bitches.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm no man's bitch...well except Jesus: the hispanic guy down the street I get my weed from. And not in that way...maybe I'm smoking too much. Nah...

At any rate there can be psychosomatic elements to most any pain. As someone who does not suffer chronic back pain but has gone through "spells" where I couldn't even stand up or move from points A to B without howling in pain each step I wouldn't say it is all in the person's head.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I'm no man's bitch...well except Jesus: the hispanic guy down the street I get my weed from. And not in that way...maybe I'm smoking too much. Nah...

At any rate there can be psychosomatic elements to most any pain. As someone who does not suffer chronic back pain but has gone through "spells" where I couldn't even stand up or move from points A to B without howling in pain each step I wouldn't say it is all in the person's head.

I'll just bring up a few things here, judge how you want.

- My back pain started when I lost touch with an old, long-time girlfriend.  Coincidence?  Maybe, maybe not.  The pain is also worse when I'm under a lot of stress at work.
- When my lower back is sore, I don't feel it in my upper back as much, and vice versa.  How come both areas are never sore at the same time?
- When I'm battling a terrible chest or head cold, the back pain is gone until the cold is healed.  Is it because I have something else to distract me?  This has happened on more than one occasion and is the only time the back pain has gone away.
- I had my wisdom teeth out a couple of years ago.  When the tooth pain went away after the surgery, the back pain I previously had got much worse.

What I do know is that this guys' methods are much cheaper than any doctor, surgery, or medication.  This is certainly worth a shot before going those routes.  I have nothing to lose.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp Shady

met:

I myself have occasional lower-back issues, which have at times made sitting for extended periods of time very unpleasant (and that includes long plane flights—I always request an aisle seat, so that I have more freedom of movement to stretch my legs and alleviate some of the discomfort).

Per what you describe, there may indeed be a psychosomatic component to what you’ve been experiencing—but that doesn’t necessarily rule out any actual physical causes. Still, before you go to the extremes of surgery or some other expensive medical treatment, you should consider something less radical—whether from the guy in the video or otherwise.

BTW, I would figure that you at some point went to an actual M.D. about your back pain. If so, what was the diagnosis?
Eet ees a klasseek!!

Offline metaldams

BTW, I would figure that you at some point went to an actual M.D. about your back pain. If so, what was the diagnosis?

Been given anti-inflammatories and told to do stretching exercises.  Helps some but it's not perfect.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

"I gotta take care of a weak back."
"How long have you had a weak back?"
"Oh, for about a week back."

Offline metaldams

"I gotta take care of a weak back."
"How long have you had a weak back?"
"Oh, for about a week back."

This joke enters my mind at least once a day, seriously.
- Doug Sarnecky