Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Bruce Sedley

Offline garystooge

Sorry to report that Stooges' co-star Bruce Sedley ("The Outlaws is Coming!") passed away on Jan.21 at the age of 86.  No further details are known at this time.  Sedley was a popular kiddie show TV host in San Francisco in the late 50s/early 60s. He attended the 1995 Three Stooges Convention and the 2005 Three Stooge Fan Club Meeting. Sedley was also an inventor, best known for inventing the "Talking Storybook" and the "Magic Keys" that activated them, which were installed in hundreds of zoos and historical centers around the country.
Gary

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Frank Reighter forwards the following link and article from The Contra-Costa Times...

Snapp Shot: Oakland's Children's Fairyland loses two giants
By Martin Snapp
Columnist
Posted: 02/09/2012 09:51:28 AM PST

Children's Fairyland in Oakland suffered two terrible blows last month with the deaths of Karl Osterloh, who died Jan. 26 at age 79, and Bruce "Skipper" Sedley. who died Jan. 21 at age 86.

Bruce Sedley: I don't have to explain who Bruce Sedley was to anyone who grew up around here. He and his puppet sidekick, King Fuddle, were stars of local children's television during the 1950s and early '60s, first hosting Popeye cartoons on Channel 4, then hosting Three Stooges flicks on Channel 2.

And he was also the man who invented Fairyland's most enduring icon: the Talking Storybooks and the Magic Key that activates them.

"I constantly hear from 30-, 40- and 50-somethings, 'I still have my key!'" says Hirschfield. "And I always reply, 'And it still works!' " In recent years the Skipper lived in retirement in Hong Kong, but he returned to Fairyland in 2008 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Magic Key and King Fuddle's 600th birthday. Many of his old fans, now grown and with grandchildren of their own, turned out to greet him.

In his honor, Fairyland is raising money to create Spanish-language versions of the Talking Storybook segments for the park's Spanish-speaking visitors.

Children's Fairyland's address for sending donations in honor of Sedley or Osterloh is 699 Bellevue Ave., Oakland, CA 94610. Donations are tax-deductible.

The "magic keys" that Bruce Sedley invented are better known to us as the electronic pass cards used by hotels.  A nice patent to own for your retirement fund.

As did all the host "Outlaws," Bruce received a film reel produced by Norman Maurer that featured outtakes, behind-the-scenes bits featuring the supporting actors, and the barbecue wrap party at Moe's house.  Each guest-outlaw's reel was customized for that entertainer... i.e., the Stooges meeting Bruce at the airport tarmac, Bruce clowning with his costars at their hotel's poolside reception, and at the Columbia Ranch, etc.

At the 2005 Fan Club Meeting in Ft. Washington PA, Bruce handed out complimentary DVDs of his OUTLAWS IS COMING! reel.  In addition, the DVD included home movies of him as his TV character, entertaining and meeting fans at the aforementioned Children's Fairyland park.  This footage is especially interesting for James Bond fans, because it features "Skipper" Sedley's sidekick, a gentle giant played by actor Richard Kiel, aka "Jaws" in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME (1977) and MOONRAKER (1979).

Some of these "Outlaw" reels have circulated on the video collectors' market for years, notably Joe Bolton's copy.  Owing to Bruce's DVD gift, some of his footage has made it onto Youtube in recent years.

A great guy, very smart and business-savvy, and a lot of fun to talk to.  I particularly enjoyed spending some one-on-one time with him in 2005, when fellow fan and friend Bryan Lyons and I took him to Jon's Bar & Grille (formerly the Feinberg residence, and Larry's birthplace) for a lunch get-together with other fans.  Except for a little tumble while crossing South St., he had a great time.  And, the look on their faces when Bruce, Hal Fryar and Johnny Ginger saw the Stoogeum for the first time... priceless.

Rest in peace.

Offline falsealarms

And, the look on their faces when Bruce, Hal Fryar and Johnny Ginger saw the Stoogeum for the first time... priceless.

Rest in peace.

I'm sure you've seen similar looks over the years and I'm sure that feeling never gets old.