Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Revenge on Moe!

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

Shemp intentionally strikes Moe several times in A Missed Fortune: at 4:13 in the first video below ("part 1"), he slaps him in the face with a wad of cloth that Moe has stuffed into his mouth; at 6:20, he gives Moe a ceremonial slap across the face with a glove (unfortunately, the sound is out of synchrony at that point); and in the second video ("part 2"), at 1:07, after giving Moe the hypnotic hand-wave, he slaps him across the face (again, the sound is out of synchrony).

This does not count Shemp's apparently accidental knocking of the board into Moe's head at 4:16 in part 2.

I noticed another bit of Curly-on-Moe violence in Yes, We Have No Bonanza.  In addition to the already-mentioned bit in which Curly picks up a large rock, hefts it, then throws it at Moe, striking him squarely and resoundingly on the head, there is a bit in the saloon in which Curly, in retaliation for an eye-poke, uses the old hand-wave to get Moe's head back then lifts his bangs off his forehead and squirts him in the eyes with seltzer. It's at 6:25 in the video below.

The great rock shot is in part 2, around 0:35:

I think that throw, and the sound effect used for the rock bouncing off Moe's head, make me cackle more consistently than any other bit in the Stooge shorts.  :laugh:

Shemp slaps and smears the remains of a jelly sandwich (no peanut butter?!) into Moe's face at 3:10 in Goof on the Roof:

In Income Tax Sappy at 1:45, Shemp, lying among the fragments of the bowling-ball trophy that has just struck him on the head, says to Moe, "Here's a nice big piece." Moe replies with the fateful words "Let me have it." Shemp, of course, does just that.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

A clip from In The Sweet Pie and Pie @ 3:45

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

In An Ache in Every Stake, after Moe gives Curly "another strike" to complete his bowling record, Curly uses the old hand-wave on him to set up a sock in the chin—at 2:47 in the video below.

Offline Stooges#1

The great rock shot is in part 2, around 0:35:

That scene always cracks me up. Just the idea of Moe retaliating by throwing a stick of dynamite at Curly.  [sign10]

There have been two previous references to In The Sweet Pie and Pie: Horowitz-Halfwits in reply #16 cites the moment at which Curly gives Moe a slap in the face as ritual provocation to a duel with saws, and Shemp_Diesel in reply #29 cites the belly-bump that Curly gives to Moe later in the same scene.  Here is another from later in the same short: at 5:50 in the clip below, Curly leads the pie-throwing assault on Moe in response to his effort at peace-making ("Love thy neighbor!").

Curly retaliates against Moe for putting a hammer into his mouth by using it to give him a tattoo on the forehead at 4:50 in this clip from They Stooge to Conga:

Curly waves a big wet paint brush in front of Moe's face and then gives him two slaps with it in Back to the Front at 3:52 here:

Offline BeatleShemp

It's the fault of the sound editor: he didn't give Curly's eye-poke against Moe a sound effect! Maybe he missed it because it happened so quickly.
[/quote]

Actually, the first short to utilize a sound effect for the eyepoke was "Back to the Front."  All the shorts thru "What's the Matador?" never utilized a sound effect.  The shorts between "Matri-phony" and "Spook Louder" didn't use any eyepokes (although Moe does it to a Hitler poster in "They Stooge To Conga").  They seemed to have been experiementing with it during the next couple of shorts: in "Three Little Twerps" the sound of the cloth ripping was used when Curly pokes his boss in the eyes, in "Higher than a Kite" a nose honk sound was used when Moe was a victim of backfire turning his face black.  It seems they got the one of the proper sounds in "Phony Express."

Actually, the first short to utilize a sound effect for the eyepoke was "Back to the Front."  All the shorts thru "What's the Matador?" never utilized a sound effect.  The shorts between "Matri-phony" and "Spook Louder" didn't use any eyepokes (although Moe does it to a Hitler poster in "They Stooge To Conga").  They seemed to have been experiementing with it during the next couple of shorts: in "Three Little Twerps" the sound of the cloth ripping was used when Curly pokes his boss in the eyes, in "Higher than a Kite" a nose honk sound was used when Moe was a victim of backfire turning his face black.  It seems they got the one of the proper sounds in "Phony Express."
Oh, a wise guy!  [3stooges]

Thanks for the correction. Funny that I never noticed that. I guess the shout from Curly that ordinarily accompanied his being poked in the eyes was sound effect enough for me.

Offline BeatleShemp

I got off track in my previous post, but I like the intentional slap Shemp gave Moe in Hugs and Mugs.  I also thought his slapping of Moe in Crime on Their Hands when he's impersonating reporters from the movies was hilarious too.  I also like Moe getting hit by the brick in He Cooked His Goose as well as Shemp slamming that door in his face in the same short was funny.  Heck even the beating that Larry gave him in the pet shop was great too.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

From Pardon My Clutch @ 6:57

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

From Pardon My Clutch @ 6:57
"Oh, a wise guy!" says Larry, before he lets Moe have it! :D

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The ending to Wham-Bam-Slam! @ 7:09

In Higher Than a Kite, Larry, in the guise of "Moronica," gives Moe a slap, first on the hand, then in the face, for trying to reach into "her" blouse--at 6:50 in this video:

In Dizzy Pilots, at 3:20 in the video below, in retaliation for a poke in the eyes, Curly lifts Moe's bangs and gives him a resounding conk on the forehead:

Finally, in Busy Buddies, at 3:40 in the video below, Curly retaliates against Moe by throwing a wet rag into his face. It's not much, but the sound effect makes it sound like violence:

I don't know of another action like this one: Larry and Shemp collaborate in setting up Moe for a double kick in the behind, in All Gummed Up (at 5:17 in the clip below).

A little later, at 6:10, Larry responds to Moe's call for cotton by hitting him in the face with a wad of it.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Love At First Bite @ 3:54

There is some violence with celery in Horses' Collars: In the sequence that starts at 9:17 (YouTube now allows links to specific points in videos), Moe gets whacked four times by Curly and twice by Larry.

And here is a specific link to a bit to which I referred in a previous post: in Pop Goes the Easel at 14:36, Curly removes Moe's cap and gives him the lump of clay right in the puss:

Offline metaldams

There is some violence with celery in Horses' Collars: In the sequence that starts at 9:17 (YouTube now allows links to specific points in videos), Moe gets whacked four times by Curly and twice by Larry.

And here is a specific link to a bit to which I referred in a previous post: in Pop Goes the Easel at 14:36, Curly removes Moe's cap and gives him the lump of clay right in the puss:

Proof positive we need stricter celery regulation laws in this country.  Think of the children!

But seriously, a celery fight?  It's so absurd it's genius.
- Doug Sarnecky

In Slippery Silks, around 8:00, Curly gives Moe a prosthetic slap in the face by releasing a spring-loaded dummy hand.