Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

1984 - The Last Starfighter - the FIRST cgi movie?

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Been watching a clip from a segment from the 25th anniversary edition of "The Last Starfighter" who suggests that this movie qualifies as one of the first to rely on CGI animation to create the wonderfully rich space scenes .. BUT ...
TRON seemed to encapsulate the "first ever" CGI animation goal ... even though The Last Starfighter suggests their animations looked soo much better than TRON ... even to the point of recreating computer game resolution and seeming realism that the late 80's could afford ...

They even brag about being the first to use computer graphics to portray what is called "miniatures" ...
aka small scale representations of the spaceship that can be filmed and then placed into a scene.

any comments / recollections?
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I haven't seen this movie since around the time it came out. I wonder if it has held up to the test of time. I liked it alright as a kid but kids are stupid and like all kinds of dumb shit they later regret.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

I own it, and saw it recently. The special effects didn't hold up too well, and it seemed more cheesey then when i watched it as a kid. But i like cheesey, so i still like it.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I own it, and saw it recently. The special effects didn't hold up too well, and it seemed more cheesey then when i watched it as a kid. But i like cheesey, so i still like it.

Hmm...I might have to see if I can't watch it again...I'm sure I have it in my mother's vast collection.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown