Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Tom & Jerry Golden Collection: Volume One 10-25-2011

Curly4444 · 58 · 15531

Offline Curly4444

I am so excited, Tom and Jerry is being released chronologically un-cut and un edited. On Oct. 25 the first 37 will be sold for about $25.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058O1FHK

Quote from:  
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews"
I made no secret of my distaste for the censored version of the Tom and Jerry shorts available on the Tom and Jerry - Spotlight Collection DVD. Not only was history whitewashed to satisfy the PC Brigade (just who ARE these people anyway?) they were also in shocking condition with lots of dirt and scratches and generally terrible picture quality.

All is now fixed for this Blu Ray release from Warner, presenting the first 37 shorts, in chronological order, with brand new 1080p transfers from the best 35mm materials, Dolby 5.1 sound (HD sound is not confirmed at the time of writing, but these cartoons WERE released in Mono anyway and DD 5.1 is still a notable upgrade) and, most importantly, UN-EDITED AND UN-CENSORED. You will finally be able to see the REAL Mammy-Two-Shoes voiced by Lillian Randolph, and various other 'racially inflammatory' visual jokes.

The cartoons included are:

Puss Gets The Boot
The Midnight Snack
The Night Before Christmas
Fraidy Cat
Dog Trouble
Puss N' Toots
The Bowling Alley Cat
Fine Feathered Friend
Sufferin' Cats
The Lonesome Mouse
The Yankee Doodle Mouse
Baby Puss
The Zoot Cat
The Million Dollar Cat
The Body Guard
Puttin On The Dog
Mouse Trouble
The Mouse Comes To Dinner
Mouse In Manhattan
Tee For Two
Flirty Birdy
Quiet Please!
Springtime For Thomas
The Milky Waif
Trap Happy
Solid Serenade
Cat Fishin'
Part Time Pal
The Cat Concerto
Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Mouse
Salt Water Tabby
A Mouse In The House
The Invisible Mouse
Kitty Foiled
The Truce Hurts
Old Rockin' Chair Tom
Professor Tom

This is how it SHOULD have been released the first time around, but this Blu Ray set is an absolute MUST-HAVE for serious animation collectors. Spend the money and let Warner know that this presentation and effort is profitable. It will only grease the wheels for more T&J and perhaps some uncensored HD Looney Tunes.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
We may disagree on most everything Quad 4's but we can come together on this one. That is awesome and going on my list. I can only hope the Looney Tunes follow suit. Can you imagine the old Bosco toons on Blu-Ray?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Excellent news!  I've already pre-ordered it from Amazon.com (the DVD version is currently priced at $18.99 on Amazon.)  This will make a great Halloween present for myself.   ;D

Thanks for spreading the news, Curly4444!   [thumbleft]

Offline falsealarms

My experience with classic cartoons is low to say the least, but the cover alone makes this set appealing. Whoever designed that cover did a helluva job.

Offline Curly4444

We may disagree on most everything Quad 4's but we can come together on this one. That is awesome and going on my list. I can only hope the Looney Tunes follow suit. Can you imagine the old Bosco toons on Blu-Ray?

Yes we can come together on this, it's awesome news. I just hope it really is released as un-cut and un-edited.

Excellent news!  I've already pre-ordered it from Amazon.com (the DVD version is currently priced at $18.99 on Amazon.)  This will make a great Halloween present for myself.   ;D

Thanks for spreading the news, Curly4444!

No problem.

No blu-ray? its just like $7 more?

My experience with classic cartoons is low to say the least, but the cover alone makes this set appealing. Whoever designed that cover did a helluva job.

It is very cool. I wonder who did the artwork for it?

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
No blu-ray? its just like $7 more?

No point.  I don't own a Blu-ray player or a high def TV.  Money is too tight these days to blow on unnecessary luxuries like those, at least as long as my reliable old 34" Sanyo keeps working.

Offline QuinceHead

Agreed!  The use of  typestyles and graphics that echo the period when these were orginally released -- plus the use of the characters as they looked back then -- is really, really nice.

I just hope that they release these cartoons uncensored/unaltered, because (a) I think that Lillian Randolph did a superb job as Mammy Two Shoes -- sometimes to me, she's the funniest aspect of the T&J shorts!; and (b) while I can see why some people object to the racial stereotypes / blackface jokes, they are nevertheless part of our historical / cultural heritage and should be presented as such, warts 'n' all.  I mean, if Popeye cartoons can be released uncensored, why not Tom & Jerry??

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

xraffle

Agreed! I would have bought these long time ago on DVD if Warner would have released them properly. Now that this has been corrected for the Blu-ray release, I will definitely purchase this set. I'm so glad I waited until Warner came to their senses and decided to release these uncut.

xraffle

No point.  I don't own a Blu-ray player or a high def TV.  Money is too tight these days to blow on unnecessary luxuries like those, at least as long as my reliable old 34" Sanyo keeps working.

Based on my experiences, tube TVs rarely fail. My parents have an old 27” Sony tube TV that’s 21 years old and it will not go. And because of that, they won’t upgrade.

I have to wonder if LCDs will have the same longevity as CRTs. I guess only time will tell.

Offline Stooges#1

Good news for those who are fans of Tom and Jerry, but they were never really my cup of tea. The thing that is bugging me about this is the DVD version holds 37 shorts and the Blu-Ray version holds 37 shorts. Makes sense? When you take into considering that Blu-Ray discs hold a 25GB capacity (single layer; 50GB for double layer), it really doesn't.

IMO, they should've had more than double the amount of shorts on the Blu-Ray version and been done with T&J on BR in two volumes, and taken 4-5 collections on DVD. But then again the BR menu would look too sloppy. And for 163 shorts (?) they probably wanted to space them out a bit. Now if Warner Brothers want to fit 100 Looney Tunes shorts on a single BR disc, in chronological order until they are finished then I would certainly welcome that.  ;D

Offline Curly4444

Good news for those who are fans of Tom and Jerry, but they were never really my cup of tea. The thing that is bugging me about this is the DVD version holds 37 shorts and the Blu-Ray version holds 37 shorts. Makes sense? When you take into considering that Blu-Ray discs hold a 25GB capacity (single layer; 50GB for double layer), it really doesn't.

IMO, they should've had more than double the amount of shorts on the Blu-Ray version and been done with T&J on BR in two volumes, and taken 4-5 collections on DVD. But then again the BR menu would look too sloppy. And for 163 shorts (?) they probably wanted to space them out a bit. Now if Warner Brothers want to fit 100 Looney Tunes shorts on a single BR disc, in chronological order until they are finished then I would certainly welcome that.  ;D

They could fit more, but they want to make a profit. As long as its uncut, it can be spread out as much as they want. I think there will be 5 volumes, which ain't that bad. I think they will break it down as follows:

Vol.1-Classic MGM T&J
Vol.2-Classic MGM T&J
Vol.3-Classic MGM T&J

Vol.4-Gene Deitch T&J

Vol.5-Chuck Jones T&J

Or seeing they're very little Gene Deitch, maybe they will put Gene Deitch and Chuck Jones all on one set?

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

I was hesistant too, but I had a crappy 19" thing and I decided to finally give in. I love my new high def TV and already had a blu-ray in my PS3. The step in quality is noticable but I only have a few Blu-Ray discs. I got the TV cheap too considering it was a floor model. I will say even the older movies look better on it. There is a slight pain to get the HDMI cables but it makes a huge difference for the HD channels and the games.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline falsealarms

HDTV has come a long way. I had my first HDTV (a 26' 1080i Samsung) in mid-2004. It was a rare CRT-based HDTV that weighed close to 100 pounds and was as big and bulky as that weight suggested. When one of the speakers gave out last year, I replaced it with a 32' 1080p Sony LCD HDTV. The Sony is razor thin, sleek, and weighs a third of what the Samsung did. The picture quality noticeably exceeded what the 2004 Samsung put out.

I can remember when a 32' TV was considered big, but when I visit these home theater enthusiast forums, 32' seems pretty small. A lot of those people seem to have secondary sets that big, i.e in their bedrooms. I have a 19' 720p HDTV in mine.

Here some lavish home theater set-ups. If you haven't seen these enthusiast level set-ups before, you'll be especially impressed. Does anyone here have a set up like that in their home? I don't.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/?action=mostpopulargalleries

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Mine's a 40' Phillips 1080p LCD TV and is practically the nicest thing in the house lol. It's not the biggest but it's plenty big enough. I originally had it in my bedroom but it was too big so I put it in my living room. I don't have or need one in the bedroom now although there are plenty of tube TVs here not being used. I just bring my laptop to the bedroom.

xraffle

There is a slight pain to get the HDMI cables but it makes a huge difference for the HD channels and the games.

I recommend ordering HDMI cables from Monoprice.com. They're high quality and only a few bucks. Or you can buy them off Ebay from reputable sellers. Those $50+ HDMI cables you see at brick and mortar stores are overpriced.

xraffle

I can remember when a 32' TV was considered big, but when I visit these home theater enthusiast forums, 32' seems pretty small. A lot of those people seem to have secondary sets that big, i.e in their bedrooms. I have a 19' 720p HDTV in mine.

I have a Samsung 32" TV, but it's only 720p and at that resolution, the picture quality is stunning. When I first bought it, I thought it was huge, but now, it looks small, lol. On those forums, I even read where people are complaining that their 46" HDTV is too small. With HDTV, you always want to go bigger because 1080p is such a high resolution.

Here some lavish home theater set-ups. If you haven't seen these enthusiast level set-ups before, you'll be especially impressed. Does anyone here have a set up like that in their home? I don't.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/?action=mostpopulargalleries

I have a 5.1 sound system in my apartment, but nothing like those. I used to have a home theater in a box with 5 small satellite speakers. I’ve recently replaced them with bookshelf speakers. I still haven’t upgraded to an HD receiver, so I don’t have HD audio yet. I just spent a lot on the new speakers, so I’m still in the process of saving up for the receiver. The HD audio has to wait.

Offline falsealarms

I've seen arguments that say the difference between 720p and 1080p is negligible on sets under a certain size. What that size is seems debated, but some people say under 40'.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I recommend ordering HDMI cables from Monoprice.com. They're high quality and only a few bucks. Or you can buy them off Ebay from reputable sellers. Those $50+ HDMI cables you see at brick and mortar stores are overpriced.

Oh I got  mine cheap from Gamestop...like $4-$5 or something. What was a pain was being an "HD newb" I didn't even know you needed them to enjoy the HD. I also didn't know that you needed a different cable box for the HD too so a few days later I had to run around to my local cable store and switch out the box I had for a new HD box (no extra charges) and then go to Gamestop to get two HDMI cables (Cox had a cable for the same price but 1/2 the length). I had done some research the night before and had come across an article basically saying what you said about "high end" HDMI cables not being worth it and a big scam since they were no different from their cheaper counterparts.

xraffle

Yeah. Those legacy Yellow, Red and White composite cables are analog, so the type of cable you get can affect picture and sound quality. HDMI cables, on the other hand, are digital. Either there's a signal or not. So, if you bought a poor quality HDMI cable, then there would be picture dropouts. There's no degradation of picture quality. So, if you're not getting any dropouts, then your HDMI cable is fine. There are some places that do sell HDMI cables cheap (like GameStop). But places like Best Buy (or should I say, Worst Buy), they're rip offs! And definitely avoid Monster Cables!

Offline metaldams

OK, so I'm a little late on this thread.  I don't know jack shit about giggo mc kilo watts or whatever the fuck goes into the technology behind these things, but I do know I have the intellect enough to enjoy a mouse smashing a cat over the head with a hammer.  I seriously plan to check this out.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah. Those legacy Yellow, Red and White composite cables are analog, so the type of cable you get can affect picture and sound quality. HDMI cables, on the other hand, are digital. Either there's a signal or not. So, if you bought a poor quality HDMI cable, then there would be picture dropouts. There's no degradation of picture quality. So, if you're not getting any dropouts, then your HDMI cable is fine. There are some places that do sell HDMI cables cheap (like GameStop). But places like Best Buy (or should I say, Worst Buy), they're rip offs! And definitely avoid Monster Cables!

Exactly, that's the part that I forgot. The signal is digital and is not affected by the cable itself. I want to track down the article I read...if only I can remember where.

Offline Curly4444

OK, so I'm a little late on this thread.  I don't know jack shit about giggo mc kilo watts or whatever the fuck goes into the technology behind these things, but I do know I have the intellect enough to enjoy a mouse smashing a cat over the head with a hammer.  I seriously plan to check this out.

You should check it out. They just don't make cartoons like these anymore(except maybe for Family guy or the Simpsons). I feel sorry for kids of today, the cartoons made for them are pure PC shit. Besides that, there just not funny.

Offline Stooges#1

I'm not sure if I should bump up the Looney Tunes topic as I get a warning message that it hasn't been posted in for 120+ days and I'm just not sure. But just to let everyone know something called the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection(s) is coming out on Blu-Ray in the fall. Jerry Beck and George Feltenstein are going to reveal more at Comic-Con tomorrow. There is plenty of discussion about it on the net, just Google Looney Tunes Platinum Collection. This is very exciting news, even if they're *only* on Blu-Ray, they could definitely fit by decade on one Blu-Ray disc and finish up the entire library of LT's shorts in four collections.

Mods, by all means move this post to the LT's topic.

Offline Curly4444

I'm not sure if I should bump up the Looney Tunes topic as I get a warning message that it hasn't been posted in for 120+ days and I'm just not sure. But just to let everyone know something called the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection(s) is coming out on Blu-Ray in the fall. Jerry Beck and George Feltenstein are going to reveal more at Comic-Con tomorrow. There is plenty of discussion about it on the net, just Google Looney Tunes Platinum Collection. This is very exciting news, even if they're *only* on Blu-Ray, they could definitely fit by decade on one Blu-Ray disc and finish up the entire library of LT's shorts in four collections.

Mods, by all means move this post to the LT's topic.

I'm not that excited. From what i read on the net, this will just be a re-release of the golden collections on blu-ray. The only difference is the new name for the sets. If they had un-released material and were in chronological order, I'd be jumping for joy.