The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Tom & Jerry Golden Collection: Volume One 10-25-2011

Curly4444 · 58 · 15532

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You're fine, it's related. In the future go ahead and post in the thread and ignore the warning.

It would only make sense to release the LTs chronologically and uncut since both LT and Tom & Jerry are owned by the same company now.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

It would only make sense to release the LTs chronologically and uncut since both LT and Tom & Jerry are owned by the same company now.

Yes, but when does this world ever make sense??

Offline Stooges#1

Quote from: Curly4444
I'm not that excited. From what i read on the net, this will just be a re-release of the golden collections on blu-ray. The only difference is the new name for the sets. If they had un-released material and were in chronological order, I'd be jumping for joy.

I know what you mean, but in saying that you cant have one without the other. Meaning you cant have chronological order, without expecting re-released shorts. Eventually you'll reach a point (in volume 1) where there'll be shorts already released on the Golden Collections.

You're fine, it's related. In the future go ahead and post in the thread and ignore the warning.

Alright, will do shemps#1. Thanks.

Offline Curly4444

I know what you mean, but in saying that you cant have one without the other. Meaning you cant have chronological order, without expecting re-released shorts. Eventually you'll reach a point (in volume 1) where there'll be shorts already released on the Golden Collections.

I understand that, and that would be cool. I was reading up on the net though, and their saying it might just be a blu-ray version of the golden collection. In other words they just took the material form the golden collection, and just copied it to blu-ray. I'm fine with new stuff mixed with old stuff, just so these new platinum collections have new material.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Watching disc one as I speak, I saw it at Wal-Mart and at $22 for the first 37 Tom and Jerry shorts uncut with Lillian Randolph on Blu-Ray I couldn't resist. They had a disclaimer up for what seemed like a couple of minutes that was basically trying to excuse Mammy Two-Shoes which I laughed at until I just wanted it so I can watch the cartoons. I never knew it was orginally Jasper and Jinx.

Highly recommended for anyone who loves classic T&J.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

They had a disclaimer up for what seemed like a couple of minutes that was basically trying to excuse Mammy Two-Shoes

Don't tell me that it was that dam Woopie Goldberg doing the disclaimer??

I got mine from amazon, its on the way.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Don't tell me that it was that dam Woopie Goldberg doing the disclaimer??

I got mine from amazon, its on the way.
No, it's a worded disclaimer that stays up on the screen way too long. I couldn't access the menu or anything until it disappeared and it stays up there for quite a bit.

Offline ThunderStooge

Ugh!  I hate those disclaimers.  I understand their purpose, but I hate when they take the form of an overly long clip, that you can't skip, of someone talking about the short we're about to see, or a title card that stays on the screen longer than your typical "FBI Warning" slide.
I remember having T&J and Looney Tunes shorts uncensored on VHS.  So I'm glad we can have that again.  It always bothered me when watching one of those shorts on Cartoon Network only for something to be slightly off from what I remembered as a kid.  I'm very short on cash, though, so I'm going to have to wait.
"Wake up and Go ta sleep!"

Offline Bum

The disclaimers themselves, and even more so, the IDEA of the disclaimers on these sets used to annoy the living hell out of me. Then I came to a realization: In this day and age of PC taken to the nth degree, if sitting through a minute or two of apologetic nonsense is the price I have to pay for getting these films restored/uncut/chronological, then I'm willing to pay that price. I just roll my eyes and wait for the good stuff to come on the screen!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The disclaimers themselves, and even more so, the IDEA of the disclaimers on these sets used to annoy the living hell out of me. Then I came to a realization: In this day and age of PC taken to the nth degree, if sitting through a minute or two of apologetic nonsense is the price I have to pay for getting these films restored/uncut/chronological, then I'm willing to pay that price. I just roll my eyes and wait for the good stuff to come on the screen!

Exactly, Bum. They still do annoy the shit out of me but I get over it knowing that at least I got T&J uncut and in chronological order.

One thing that puzzles me (and perhaps it is my limited knowledge on the subject) is that the Blu-Ray says it is 1080p yet it does not fill my screen. I guess the resolution has nothing to do with filling the screen or not?

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I just checked and found the answer to my question: no it does not. Anyway, here is what the disclaimer says verbatim:

"The animated shorts you are about to see are a product of their time. They may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in American society. These depictions were wrong then and are wrong today. While the following does not represent the Warner Bros.' view of today's society, the animated shorts are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would the same as claiming these prejudices never existed."

Don't ask me why folks who were probably not even alive when these cartoons were made have to apologize to a bunch of PC pussies.

Offline Bum

Yeah, that's the exact same wording that's been appearing for almost a decade; The first few "Looney Tunes Golden Collection" DVDs opened with it, and later releases featured  Whoopi Goldberg speaking the same basic thought, tailored to her personality [it's basicallly her saying: "I love Looney Tunes cartoons, HOWEVER.........."]. I didn't mind the Whoopi version too much, and I'm kinda glad they got her to do it; it's almost as though they were unconsciously telling the PC people, "Hey, PC people, if this black woman says it's OK for you to watch these films, then you can do so without guilt".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah, that's the exact same wording that's been appearing for almost a decade; The first few "Looney Tunes Golden Collection" DVDs opened with it, and later releases featured  Whoopi Goldberg speaking the same basic thought, tailored to her personality [it's basicallly her saying: "I love Looney Tunes cartoons, HOWEVER.........."]. I didn't mind the Whoopi version too much, and I'm kinda glad they got her to do it; it's almost as though they were unconsciously telling the PC people, "Hey, PC people, if this black woman says it's OK for you to watch these films, then you can do so without guilt".

You know, that seems even more racist than the cartoons themselves. In that context it seems like they hired Whoopi to be their Token Black (not to be confused with the South Park character of the same name) to give the "African-American Seal of Approval" on these old cartoons. Not only it is it racist but it's also condescending. Why not have a Warner Bros. exec make the same statements? Why would anyone with half a brain need to have "black validation" to go ahead and enjoy these works of art? It's all so retarded, if you ask me.

Offline Bum

You know, that seems even more racist than the cartoons themselves. In that context it seems like they hired Whoopi to be their Token Black (not to be confused with the South Park character of the same name) to give the "African-American Seal of Approval" on these old cartoons. Not only it is it racist but it's also condescending. Why not have a Warner Bros. exec make the same statements? Why would anyone with half a brain need to have "black validation" to go ahead and enjoy these works of art? It's all so retarded, if you ask me.

You're right, AND you answered your own question [PC= half a brain]. Whatever it takes to get these things released on home video is fine with me. Warner Home Video has been EXTREMELY gun-shy since the early '90's when they caught all kinds of flak regarding the release of the "Bugs Bunny by Each Director" VHS tape. It contained the 1944 WWII/Japanese-themed short "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips", which IS pretty brutal [and funny, I might add]. Back then, when I saw the tape in the stores and saw that it contained that short, my jaw dropped and I made it a point to buy it right away because I had a feeling that it wasn't going to be on the shelves very long. I was right: The PC police and some Asian groups raised hell and sure enough, the tape was withdrawn and re-released with a tamer replacement cartoon. To this day, that VHS tape [and its accompanying laserdisc] contains the only legitimate commercial release of that cartoon. Since then, Warner Home Video's goals have been twofold:

1. Make a lot of money
2. Don't, under any circumstances, piss anyone off.

With those disclaimers, they're basically covering their asses, and I guess I don't blame them. It's sad that it's had to come to that, but I still give them credit for continuing to release the W-B cartoons, the Tom and Jerrys [with Mammy], and the WWII -era Popeyes [such as "You're a Sap, Mr. Jap"]  in this day and age, and with all the past controversy.

Offline Curly4444

One thing that puzzles me (and perhaps it is my limited knowledge on the subject) is that the Blu-Ray says it is 1080p yet it does not fill my screen. I guess the resolution has nothing to do with filling the screen or not?

1080p is the resolution, not the video frame dimensions. It didn't fill your screen because it was presented in the original full frame dimension. So your screen should have had black bars on the left & right?

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
1080p is the resolution, not the video frame dimensions. It didn't fill your screen because it was presented in the original full frame dimension. So your screen should have had black bars on the left & right?

Exactly: for some reason I had equated resolution with frame dimensions (quite possibly due to anything non-HD on an HD channel never filling up the screen).

Offline Curly4444

Exactly: for some reason I had equated resolution with frame dimensions (quite possibly due to anything non-HD on an HD channel never filling up the screen).

Non-HD, usually is full frame. The same aspect ratio we watched in the old days on our old tvs. If a widescreen HD movie is not the right aspect ratio, it too wont fill up your screen. Not filling up the screen doesn't bother me that much.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Non-HD, usually is full frame. The same aspect ratio we watched in the old days on our old tvs. If a widescreen HD movie is not the right aspect ratio, it too wont fill up your screen. Not filling up the screen doesn't bother me that much.

What I mean is, say one my local broadcast channels is showing an old Simpsons rerun. On the SD channel it will fill up my screen but on the HD channel it will not fill up the screen. I just thought it was due to it not being an HD quality print. Same thing goes for MASN running an old "Classic Orioles" game. I'm still a newb when it comes to HD.

I should add that when say NBA TV or MASN runs an old game they have graphics on either side of the game on their respective HD channels instead of the black bars, again probably why I got confused.

Offline Curly4444

On the SD channel it will fill up my screen but on the HD channel it will not fill up the screen.
Thats weird. The only thing i can think of is, the SD channel Simpsons was stretch and blew up to become widescreen, and fill your tv.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The wonders of YouTube: you can find practically anything.

xraffle

SD channels should not fill your screen. If it does, the settings on either your cable box or TV are incorrect and you're watching a stretched picture.

Offline Curly4444

SD channels should not fill your screen. If it does, the settings on either your cable box or TV are incorrect and you're watching a stretched picture.

Possibly, but I think some networks do that for you?

Offline ThunderStooge

Possibly, but I think some networks do that for you?
I don't think so. Properly set HDTVs are supposed to display sidebars on SD channels.  I have noticed, though that Cartoon Network's HD channel like to stretch out their 4:3 programs, which I find really annoying. If the program or short was not originally made in a widescreen format they should not be stretched to fill widescreen monitors in any way.  It warps the frames.

Offline Curly4444

I don't think so. Properly set HDTVs are supposed to display sidebars on SD channels.  I have noticed, though that Cartoon Network's HD channel like to stretch out their 4:3 programs, which I find really annoying. If the program or short was not originally made in a widescreen format they should not be stretched to fill widescreen monitors in any way.  It warps the frames.

The channel was gameshow network. It was in widescreen, but it looked stretched.

Offline ThunderStooge

The channel was gameshow network. It was in widescreen, but it looked stretched.
Is the channel itself (not the programs) on your service provider in HD or SD?  If it's in SD, then it shouldn't be stretching like that unless you set your TV or receiver to do so.  If it's in HD, then yes; while most stations are pretty good about keeping programs in their proper aspect ratios, there are unfortunately some stations out there that stretch their fullscreen programing to fill in Widescreen TVs.