The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 183932

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I was waiting for something noteworthy to kick off the '11 thread, and this would have been more noteworthy if it were 2005 instead of 2011 but it will have to do. The Tampa Rays have signed both Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon to one year contracts. No confirmation on the rumors of Tampa pursuing Bill Mueller and Kevin Millar as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6080160
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Manny and Damon on The Rays, Carl Crawford on the Red Sox, what a crazy world we live in.

Not that I think they're going to win the division, but am I the only one who thinks Baltimore is going to have a somewhat improved team this year?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Baltimore has been supposedly improving for awhile now, but I will say Vlad was a nice pickup. I project the O's will probably be in 4th place.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Baltimore has been supposedly improving for awhile now, but I will say Vlad was a nice pickup. I project the O's will probably be in 4th place.

I think Brian Matusz will have a breakout year as well.  He had a strong second half and always owned the Red Sox.  We shall see.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

Does anyone know who my favorite headcase, Rick Ankiel will be playing for this year?

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
He signed with the Nationals.

Offline Curly4444

He signed with the Nationals.

He must have been hard up, or was it the other way around??  ::)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The Nats are an up-and-coming team, and at least they are trying to put a better product on the field (signing Werth), which is more than I can say for some teams. Ankiel signed for 1 year at 1.5 million so it looks like both sides are hoping for a "bounce-back" year. Washington is hoping he puts up 2008 numbers at a bargain and Ankiel is hoping he can do that this year and get a bigger, long term deal next year.

Offline metaldams

Anybody going to any games?  I have tickets to see Boston Vs. Baltimore in Camden Yards.  I think it's July 19th if memory serves me correct.  I go to Baltimore every year to catch a Sox game, but it's shocking that I have to go in the middle of the week and switch shifts at work, as there's not one weekend series in Baltimore!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
We really should meet up at Camden this year, Doug.

Offline Lefty

Anybody going to any games?  I have tickets to see Boston Vs. Baltimore in Camden Yards.  I think it's July 19th if memory serves me correct.  I go to Baltimore every year to catch a Sox game, but it's shocking that I have to go in the middle of the week and switch shifts at work, as there's not one weekend series in Baltimore!

Great scheduling by MLB, eh?  I can't vouch for the American League, but the Phillies have 3 weekend series at Taxpayer Field in New York this year, this following 2 straight years of 3 weekend series at home vs. Los Mets.  And let's not forget the 2 home games against some teams, or 9 games vs. St. Louis (with 2 series on the road) and 5 vs. Colorado (both just like 2008).

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
I would, if I went to BU, which I don't.  Are the Sox coming to San Diego?  The trolley goes to Petco Park!  Uncomparable to seeing a game at Fenway, but it'll have to do.  :-\
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline metaldams

We really should meet up at Camden this year, Doug.

On the 19th, I'll also be with my brother, parents, aunt, uncle, and two young cousins, so it's kind of a family reunion.  I'll let you know where I'm sitting if you wanna meet up, but if you wanna hang out without my parents and little cousins around, it'll have to be another time.  Catching a game together one of these days would definitely be awesome, though. 

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I would, if I went to BU, which I don't.  Are the Sox coming to San Diego?  The trolley goes to Petco Park!  Uncomparable to seeing a game at Fenway, but it'll have to do.  :-\

The good news:  The Red Sox are playing the Padres this year.

The bad news:  It's in Fenway.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
The good news:  The Red Sox are playing the Padres this year.

The bad news:  It's in Fenway.
Damn.  Thanks anyway, bro.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline metaldams

My Aunt and Uncle used to live in San Diego, and while they know absolutely zilch about baseball, they would go to games at Petco Park.  My non-biological uncle also took his elderly mother to a game, but they had to leave early because of her.  Good thing they left early, as it turned out to be an 18 inning game.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

LETS GO JAYS!!!

In the A.L. East, you guys might be lucky to get 4th place.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

He must have been hard up, or was it the other way around??  ::)
Other way....Rick can only hit fastballs...since '08 the other teams have figured it out and make him look stupid. He lad the team in S.O. 2 years back in spite of only playing a 2/3 of the games! He got so frustrated that he blew his top and screamed to the pitcher: "You fucking faggot! Afraid to throw fastballs to me?"

There was about 500 phone cams aimed at him and his lips were easily read. That's how LaRussa lost his boy....I pity the Nats for being so stupid. (His fielding is no bargain either as he has still to this day never hit a cutoff man)

Even more stupid is the Cards re-signing Grandpappy Edmonds. At his age and w/o his 'roids he is a joke.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Check this out, a youtube upload of the 1979 Pirates/Braves game in which both teams combined for 26 runs.

[youtube=425,350]ZCCuJDUnmks[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]l-DA5AZ56zs[/youtube]

Offline Lefty

Even though the Pirates were the Phillies' arch-rival, and those boneheads slowed down a connecting flight from Chicago to Philly, I always wanted to see what uniform combo the Bucs would wear each game -- the 9 possibilities they had.  That's one thing wrong with baseball -- the boring uniforms.  And they can't say, "Well, it's too hot to wear dark colors," because (1) they do in spring training in hot cities, and (B) a lot of teams wear dark shirts on Sundays in the regular season.

Offline Lefty

And as for the 26 runs, that was a pitcher's duel compared to the "Shootout in Chicago" on May 17th that year, with the Phillies beating the Cubs 23-22 after blowing a 12-run lead.  That game ran so long I was at the bowling alley and they had the game on radio so we could find out the conclusion.  Then it was televised in full 3 weeks later.  A definite classic!

Offline garystooge

I remember watching that 23-22 game on TV.  It was already 7-6 after one inning.
Here's the box score....check out some of the horrendous pitching lines.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN197905170.shtml

Offline metaldams

I remember watching this game a few years ago on MASN.  The Rangers set the modern day record for most runs scored in a game by beating the Orioles 30 - 3.  Baltimore lead 3 - 0 after 3 innings, but the Orioles bullpen gave up 24 runs in four innings!  They really did have a TERRIBLE bullpen.  I remember screaming "holy shit" when the three run homer Texas hit landed them runs 28, 29, and 30, breaking the record.  This was actually the first game of a double hearder!  I wonder what the Orioles relievers ERA was before the game?

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270822201

Another Texas Rangers gem, this time against Boston.  Boston scores ten runs in the first (Big Papi hits two three run blasts in one inning), blows the lead (a combination of Charlie Zink making his major league debut, David Aardsma and Manny Delcarmen), only to come back and win it thanks to Kevin Youkilis.  Final score Red Sox 19, Rangers 17.  

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270822201

I watched both of these games and I will never forget either.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams