Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

80's Music Thread

metaldams · 66 · 21365

Offline metaldams

I have a feeling this one will get less hits, but let's see where this goes.

The 80's is 90% metal to me.  The bad metal is at least entertaining on a camp level and the good metal.....well, it was the golden age for the genre.  As far as top 40 goes, new wave and MTV dumbed down white music (and I can't get into U2 and Springsteen), disco and MTV dumbed down black music (and I can't get into Michael Jackson and Prince), so let's just say from this point on, I'm mostly a metal guy.

I'll spare you the cheese metal for now and start off with the genuinely good stuff.

[youtube=425,350]WEL6_SuQCu8[/youtube]

"Master of Puppets" - Metallica (Live, Seattle - 1989)  The title track to my favorite album of all-time.

[youtube=425,350]7vP2hFFV57E[/youtube]

"Hallowed Be Thy Name" - Iron Maiden (Live, Hammersmih Odeon - 1982)  My favorite song of all-time.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

A little 80s Zeppelin...

[youtube=425,350]xMpSKsgYp0c[/youtube]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Rush...

[youtube=425,350]KNZru4JG_Uo[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]WRw9wlOZ9Lg[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]zjRy8hd5Kd8[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]8ivnvKIu4mg[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]lCFcWdco1nw[/youtube]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Prince...

[youtube=425,350]ucZRore0-EE[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]81NygS5pyYo[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]9Zl6vy7suGQ[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]gSqYAbBFhzc[/youtube]

Offline Curly4444

I love 80's music. I liked it all, form the metal, hair metal, new wave, pop, and some MTV stuff. It was just fun, feel good catchy tunes. The only era i like better was the 70's.

[youtube=425,350]shcI6vE-PlE[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]YHe1XPTioIk[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]P-AYAv0IoWI[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]NqTuN-35580[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]v=imXzi4gnLTw[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]v=imXzi4gnLTw[/youtube]

Offline Curly4444

[youtube=425,350]imXzi4gnLTw[/youtube]

More GNR

Offline metaldams

My favorite 80's Rush songs

[youtube=425,350]4QfvFy2Qy-M[/youtube]

"Time Stands Still"

[youtube=425,350]Lu9Ycq64Gy4[/youtube]

"Subdivisions"

That recent documentary, BEYOND THE LIGHTED STAGE, is excellent, by the way.

As for Guns N' Roses, the first album I ever got, at age 10, was APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION.  I love every song on that album.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

This stuff below is about as heavy as I get.  Not for the average person, but for those of you who like heavy, Heaven, or should I say, Hell awaits! 

[youtube=425,350]zAWfGXr6pJ4[/youtube]

"Strike of the Beast" - Exodus

[youtube=425,350]443t5ahxC-w[/youtube]

"Hell Awaits" - Slayer
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
[youtube=425,350]UQWlA2CLRSY?fs=1&hl=en_US[/youtube]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
An obvious choice for this site, 1983 gave us "The Curly Shuffle."

The Jump 'n the Saddle Band performed it at Nashville's Volunteer Jam X on Feb. 4, 1984.

[youtube=425,350]WwYpWld66Vk[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

We need more heavy.  I like heavy.  Here's more heavy.  If anybody actually watches and enjoys all 5 of these in their entirety, send me a personal message, because we're friends.

[youtube=425,350]22W38jJk81s[/youtube]

"For Whom the Bell Tolls" - Metallica (Live, Day on the Green Festival 1985, featuring bass god Cliff Burton)

[youtube=425,350]d4R3ZnjO73E[/youtube]

"Seven Gates of Hell" - Venom

[youtube=425,350]PUPoZEIU5VI[/youtube]

"We Are the Road Crew" - Motorhead (1982, Toronto -One of Fast Eddie's last gigs before leaving the group)

[youtube=425,350]L5prpJMrWhs[/youtube]

"Into the Crypts of Rays" - Celtic Frost

[youtube=425,350]HqcOVzx4CqY[/youtube]

"Come to the Sabbath" - Mercyful Fate

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

A little more AC/DC

[youtube=425,350]ztruDvW2Rj8[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]cx9FRbeVcr0[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]I7GDF6l9H3U[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]yfcnoIkBdjc[/youtube]

Dog Hambone

Geez, if I hadn't lived through the 1980s & just read this thread, I'd think metal and/or hard rock was the only kind of music made during that decade.

For me, it was not a particularly good decade for pop or rock music, but there are some real gems, such as Tom Tom Club's "Genius of Love". Tom Tom Club was a little side project (that turned very successful) for members of Talking Heads (drummer Chris Frantz & bassist Tina Weymouth) while the band's leader, David Byrne, was on some sort of hiatus.    

[youtube=425,350]RZwgu0lQQV4[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

Geez, if I hadn't lived through the 1980s & just read this thread, I'd think metal and/or hard rock was the only kind of music made during that decade.

To me, it almost is.  60's and 70's my tastes are fairly eclectic in the pop rock realm, which alienates all the metal people I know.  Come the 80's and beyond, my tastes are 90% metal, which alienates all the non-metal people I know.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

For me, it was not a particularly good decade for pop or rock music, but there are some real gems, such as Tom Tom Club's "Genius of Love". Tom Tom Club was a little side project (that turned very successful) for members of Talking Heads (drummer Chris Frantz & bassist Tina Weymouth) while the band's leader, David Byrne, was on some sort of hiatus.    

[youtube=425,350]RZwgu0lQQV4[/youtube]
OMG! Something we agree on! I was a little tired of Metal when MTV hit the air with "Video Killed the Radio Star" and ALL the following stuff from Billy Idol, Lionel Ritchie, MJ, Prince and Madonna...to name a very few.

I think Byrne was sick of the "Heads" and was indeed on an extended break from the group. They are still to this day trying to lure him into a reunion with the band with unreal money offers, but he won't relent.

BTW, does anyone remember a 1 hit wonder duo by the name of Godley and Cream?

Offline JazzBill

Just noticed the "Woo Woo Woo Woo" ( like Curly ) in the beginning.

[youtube=425,350]ZcJjMnHoIBI[/youtube]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

What, nobody else giving it up for Mercyful Fate?  :laugh:

Actually Jazz, Mr. Yankovich can put on the biggest body suit in the world, he still ain't as heavy as the videos I posted.  He does have more chins than Chinatown, but not the singer in the Exodus video (R.I.P. Paul Baloff, thou art metal).

I used to own Weird Al's greatest hits album on cassette back in the day.  One of my first music purchases as a pre-teen.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Hes funny as hell, and he can actually sing somewhat. Hell i liked his version of a  Michael Jackson song better.

stooged and confused

OMG! Something we agree on! I was a little tired of Metal when MTV hit the air with "Video Killed the Radio Star" and ALL the following stuff from Billy Idol, Lionel Ritchie, MJ, Prince and Madonna...to name a very few.

I think Byrne was sick of the "Heads" and was indeed on an extended break from the group. They are still to this day trying to lure him into a reunion with the band with unreal money offers, but he won't relent.

BTW, does anyone remember a 1 hit wonder duo by the name of Godley and Cream?

Tom Tom Club's song has been sampled by numerous performers..way ahead of its time. Good call on that choice.

I believe the Godley & Creme song you are thinking about is "Cry". The video was very cool for the time and still holds up. It wasn't #1, but it was a good song. BTW, they were a part of 10CC in their earlier days!

Offline metaldams

OK, I gotta show the 10% of my 80's musical tastes.  

Most 60's bands didn't too wellin the 80's, but the Kinks are the exception.  I'll throw in Dave Davies greatest moment as a Kink, "Living on a Thin Line," followed by one of Ray Davies great lyrics, this one about marital unbliss, "Yo-Yo."

[youtube=425,350]TvdBrbJnve8[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]c5cIxspxojE[/youtube]

.......and OK, I like The Police, but can't stand Sting solo.  Go figure.

[youtube=425,350]svWINSRhQU0[/youtube]

"Wrapped Around Your Finger"

Mix this with some Possessed, Death Angel, and Slayer, and you have yourselves an 80's metaldams cocktail.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

Tom Tom Club's song has been sampled by numerous performers..way ahead of its time. Good call on that choice.

I believe the Godley & Cream song you are thinking about is "Cry". The video was very cool for the time and still holds up. It wasn't #1, but it was a good song. BTW, they were a part of 10CC in their earlier days!
Really!??  "I'm not in Love" was a huge favorite of mine in the 70s.....and yes, "Cry" was the one I was thinking of....very tedious camera work on the morphing...not eclipsed in my mind until "Sledgehammer".

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Peter Gabriel

[youtube=425,350]N1tTN-b5KHg[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]F0FBi5Rv1ho[/youtube]

Dog Hambone

.......and OK, I like The Police, but can't stand Sting solo.  Go figure.

Thanks for mentioning The Police. I had forgotten all about them. They were among my favorites & I had all their albums, mainly because of Andy Summers' unparalleled guitar work, not to mention Stewart Copeland's drumming. And I'm with you 100% on your other point. I can't stand any of Sting's solo stuff. Granted, he's an excellent bass player, but his songs & their arrangements, & his voice don't appeal to me at all.   

stooged and confused

Really!??  "I'm not in Love" was a huge favorite of mine in the 70s.....and yes, "Cry" was the one I was thinking of....very tedious camera work on the morphing...not eclipsed in my mind until "Sledgehammer".

Here's the video for CRY by Godley & Creme

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KxtPRF6NG7I?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KxtPRF6NG7I?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Shemp_Diesel

80s Floyd...

[youtube=425,350]CRnQ65J02XA[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]YwkFS3WjXSw[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]pPFJDVKpB7s[/youtube]