Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Katy Perry

Offline hiramhorwitz

I guess you're not into aural sex like I am.
No, my ears are too small. I chalk it up to heredity.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I apologize to Boid and everyone else for the previous post: I've got some real life shit going on that is probably making me extra touchy. With that said I don't appreciate it when people jump to conclusions. The fact is I like a lot of Classical music and not all Classical music is Opera. Perhaps I do not like Opera for some of the same reasons I do not like Broadway Showtunes, but my distaste for Opera nowhere near approaches my hatred for Showtunes.

Comparing Rappers to Rockers is akin to comparing apples to chocolate. Both apples and chocolate are both edible but they are different subgenres and at times can go well together. As for Mike and the Mechanics, they were a pop group and not a Christian Rock group. Sure they may have had a song that inspired by their belief in Christianity (or at least the songwriter's) but that doesn't them a Christian Rock band. Here are some examples of Christian Rock just to clarify:

Stryper: an 80's Hair Metal band that is awful even by Hair Metal standards. Other than the Bible-banging message there is nothing that sets them apart. They use cheesy 80's Metal riffs and really any half-competant jackass can copy this sound in their garage.

[youtube=425,350]KubgMDSMXfI[/youtube]

Larry Norman: The late "Grandfather of Jesus Rock". Here's one of his called "I Wish We'd All Been Ready" which is an insipid Rapture ballad. Other Norman tunes include "Why Don't You Look Into Jesus" and "Put Your Life In Jesus' Nail Scarred Hands".

[youtube=425,350]X1FcTKNXlO0[/youtube]

Finally we have dc Talk: A wannabe 90's "Christian Grunge" band that basically went through the paces but without the creativity or musical pathos of some of their secular counterparts. This one is called "Jesus Freak".
[youtube=425,350]2jDnVpCNlyY[/youtube]

Those are examples of the subgenre "Christian Rock". There have been some great songs done by more mainstream, secular artists that have Christian messages in them. For instance this classic Doobie Bros. cover of "Jesus Is Just Alright" kicks ass (and this is coming from an irreligious atheist).

[youtube=425,350]Bh4nNdNJ_U8[/youtube]

That's not to say I like Mike and the Mechanics mind you, I think they are terrible.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
No, my ears are too small. I chalk it up to heredity.

Is that what "Irish Curse" means?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Boid Brain

No need to apologize for anything Shemps#1...between the time I read your post and started to answer I confused Opera with Classical...my bad. Opera leaves me cold also. When I watch a movie where the people go to the opera and start crying and shit at the end of it (like in "Moonstruck") I just have to scratch my head.

Now I must repeat MYSELF for you: I said I prefer the SONG from Katy more than the Boys...not that she was better than than them as a group! C'mon! The thread is all about the massive hit that this SONG has become, and it has. It's still selling off the shelves and Perry is filling up every venue she sings the fucking thing at....there was a concert on FUSE last Thurs. full of current hot acts....Katy was the headliner....Fuse teased the audience before each commercial with "Coming up: Katy Perry".

Well, don't you know that she was (after an hour and 50 minutes) the closing act with Kalifornia Gurlz, and the whole fucking theater screamed  louder than they had 2 hrs. earlier and followed her, singing every single line, word for word in the song! Like it or hate it, the song is the biggest hit in recent years.

Oh, and as for you Hambone Dog: You know as much about contemporary music as you do about sports....why don't YOU start a thread so we can see just what the fuck you DO know something about?

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Re Katy Perry vs Beach Boys: Touche.

As for the "argument from popularity" logical fallacy that you use to defend the Katy Perry song, just because a song is popular doesn't make it a good song. There have been hundreds, maybe even thousands of songs in the "modern" music era alone (I'm talking about the advent of Rock & Roll onward) that have been popular but terrible.

Dog Hambone

Oh, and as for you Hambone Dog: You know as much about contemporary music as you do about sports....why don't YOU start a thread so we can see just what the fuck you DO know something about?

My friend, your unbridled enthusiam for this song and the way you appear to have bought into the Katy Perry hype machine is not exactly an exhibition of any major intelligence.

That being said, I thought you were ignoring me because I'm a "confrontational asshole".

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

My friend, your unbridled enthusiam for this song and the way you appear to have bought into the Katy Perry hype machine is not exactly an exhibition of any major intelligence.

That being said, I thought you were ignoring me because I'm a "confrontational asshole".

If you boys don't play nice, Santa is going to leave only coal in your stockings.   [santa_undecided]

(I try to not "take sides" as such, but that was a nice, snappy rejoinder, Dog.  You got served, Boid.)   ;)

Offline Boid Brain

I bought into a catchy tune...I have yet to hear or see any other music from the girl, or any interview segment.

I'm pretty sure I said I was ignoring your offending post...not you for LIFE! I would have just put you on ignore if that were the case. If you had not mentioned Namath I would not have even remembered you and our previous exchange. But I am withdrawing my confrontational asshole tag for you in favor of Internet Punk Shitass.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You can't tag him with "Internet Punk Shitass" because I'm the Internet Punk Shitass around here and there is only room for one.

Offline metaldams

You can't tag him with "Internet Punk Shitass" because I'm the Internet Punk Shitass around here and there is only room for one.

You tell him!
- Doug Sarnecky

Dog Hambone

I humbly defer to thee, oh great and glorious leader

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Good, now I will not be forced to perform a Rectus Fecalus: you have been spared.

Offline metaldams

Good, now I will not be forced to perform a Rectus Fecalus: you have been spared.

I think I have an idea what that means, but I ain't googling it at work.
- Doug Sarnecky

Dog Hambone

If you boys don't play nice, Santa is going to leave only coal in your stockings.   [santa_undecided]

Sorry to turn you into a referee of sorts, Rob. I've been having fun with this thread, but it's time to move on (and wait for Boid's next gem).

[pie]

Offline Boid Brain

For my next gem I am going to show you the male Katy Perry: Bruno Mars. Like Katy, all you gotta do is type in the letter "B" on You Tube and up pops Bruno, and like her that has been the case for months. There is a video and several live  performances to chose from but I chose this studio version...

This is not even his biggest hit but I like it. Now if there is anyone out there that doesn't like this song...well, I'm sure I'll hear about it. ::)

Edit: I changed my mind...this is a better version on Letterman. He really emotes and is fearless on the high notes! This kid is going places.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Now if there is anyone out there that doesn't like this song...well, I'm sure I'll hear about it. ::)

No sir, didn't like it.

I've never heard of either Katy Perry or this Bruno kid, but I find that saccharin bubblegum too nauseating to listen to.  I realize that millions of people do like this stuff, but I've never been one for following the herd.  To each his own.

Offline Boid Brain

No sir, didn't like it.

I've never heard of either Katy Perry or this Bruno kid, but I find that saccharin bubblegum too nauseating to listen to.  I realize that millions of people do like this stuff, but I've never been one for following the herd.  To each his own.
Bruno bubblegum!?? OMFG! Actually bubblegum would be better than the coke he was busted with...he's gonna do time...maybe 4 years.

Grenade (the name of the tune) ain't bubble gum. It's a torch song of the deepest order...Patti Paige would be proud!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
First of all an observation: aren't you a bit old to be listening to this shit, Boid?

As for Bruno Mars I'll start with a positive: it was better than Katy Perry...much better than Katy Perry. With that said it doesn't take much to be "much better than Katy Perry". You see when I listen to an artist such as this kid I bring out the Marvin Gaye Measuring Stick. Does he even hold a candle to Marvin Gaye? No fuckin' way. How about the likes of an Otis Redding? He's not even close. Percy Sledge, Sam Cooke, Ben E. King...etc. No, no a thousand times no. This Bruno Mars doesn't even come within the same stratosphere as the greats of the genre. He isn't even fit enough to smell Marvin's finger after a coked-up night in which he mistook Barry White for Tammi Terrell.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Are you fucking kidding me? According to you Hendrix and Cream are awful: but then you come up with this shit saying it's better than the Beach Boys? I hope you are joking.
Agreement 100%.  I hate Katy Perry I hate Katy Perry I hate Katy Perry.  She can't even spell Katy.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Boid Brain

You old fogies! I'm  giving up on trying to put you fossils up to date! Marvin fuckin Gaye??? Otis dead for 40 yrs Redding?? Why not mention Jolson??! Or Caruso??! This boy has angelic phrasing 2nd only to Sinatra..you understand every word out of his mouth and he misses not a note in the whole song...LIVE on network TV...he is a fearless singer, and when he gets out of jail he will be even bigger and better!

Dog Hambone

Here's a new Katy Perry video that's right up your alley, Boid!

[youtube=425,350]moPZNg-2878[/youtube]

In Katy's own immortal words, "Who wants pimples?"
 ::)

As for your Bruno Mars videos, he has a nice voice even if it sounds too much like Michael Jackson for me. It's nicer to hear a melody anyday than some more of that gansta rap. And, I liked seeing an acoustic guitar in the mix with a bunch of black dudes. The reason comparisons were made with Marvin Gaye and those other oldsters is that their talent and songs have withstood the test of time. People that really know music understand this. It's rather early to make such a prediction about Bruno Mars (although he stands to ruin his career if he is going to be a jailbird during the most creative years of his youth), despite the fact that his name may come up first when you type a "b" into the YouTube search engine (a strange criteria if ever there was one).