Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stroke of Luck has some competition

Offline falsealarms

For the longest time, Larry's Stroke of Luck book was seemingly the most expensive Stooge book to buy. Now that might be changing. The Three Stooges: The Triumphs and Tragedies of the Most Popular Comedy Team of All Time, the Forrester book from about 8 years ago, is on eBay for 200 bucks and 7 copies on Amazon average 212 bucks with a high of 500.

The Forrester book is out of print but it's still surprising it's as expensive as it is. It's kind of ridiculous. I believe I paid about 30 bucks when it was released.

Offline Curly4444

When i was collecting stooge books, Stroke of Luck was the only one i couldn't get. Wasn't as expensive as it is now though. If there was an e-bay back then, i probably could have gotten it cheap. Now, theres no way.

Offline FineBari3

For the longest time, Larry's Stroke of Luck book was seemingly the most expensive Stooge book to buy. Now that might be changing. The Three Stooges: The Triumphs and Tragedies of the Most Popular Comedy Team of All Time, the Forrester book from about 8 years ago, is on eBay for 200 bucks and 7 copies on Amazon average 212 bucks with a high of 500.

The Forrester book is out of print but it's still surprising it's as expensive as it is. It's kind of ridiculous. I believe I paid about 30 bucks when it was released.

Hell, I should look into selling mine on Ebay!  Is this the hardback or the paperback going for that much?
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline falsealarms

Hell, I should look into selling mine on Ebay!  Is this the hardback or the paperback going for that much?

Looks like paperback. If I remember right, didn't a lot of people here question the facts reported in this book?

Offline FineBari3

Looks like paperback. If I remember right, didn't a lot of people here question the facts reported in this book?

Why on earth is this book so expensive? I bought this book when I was working as a librarian back in 2002, probably through a distributor of some sort. It was very easily obtained at that time.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

Amazon.com marketplace sellers are sharks in general when it comes to out of print items. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Yeah exactly. I was looking for this item, and sellers on amazon wanted over a $100, and on e-bay i found it for like 10 bucks. Sellers on amazon think they have a license to steal because something is out of print.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Yeah exactly. I was looking for this item, and sellers on amazon wanted over a $100, and on e-bay i found it for like 10 bucks. Sellers on amazon think they have a license to steal because something is out of print.

Not all of them are that bad.  In all of my transactions with Amazon third-party sellers I got excellent buys and good service, but I have seen some absurd prices at times on out-of-print books.  Even then I wouldn't call it stealing, though; an item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay it.  No one is being forced to buy the item.  Stealing is when you take something you're not entitled to - you know, like the government.   ;)

Offline metaldams

I've had good experiences with amazon.com marketplace sellers when it comes to readily available items, but I never buy OOP items because the prices are usually unbelievable.

I'll give you an example.  I'm a HUGE Iron Maiden fan as most of you know, but even I have a bit of sanity.  I bought the EDDIE'S ARCHIVE box set on the day of release in 2002 for about $80.  I think that's reasonable for a 6 CD box set of rarities that includes an Eddie shot glass, great packaging, and a complete Number of the Beast tour show.  These days, it's OOP.  What do I see?

1 New From $597.77
3 Used From $359.98

I would like to know if anybody seriously would fork out that kind of cash for a 6 CD box set.  Ridiculous.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I agree that pricing like that is ridiculous, and I doubt those sellers will ever unload them at those prices.  My point is just that ridiculous prices aren't "stealing," as Curly4444 expressed it.

Offline metaldams

I agree that pricing like that is ridiculous, and I doubt those sellers will ever unload them at those prices.  My point is just that ridiculous prices aren't "stealing," as Curly4444 expressed it.

Legally, I agree it's not stealing.  Morally.....that's another story.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Pricing on Stroke of Luck reflects the book's scarcity (even with 3 printings) in Good+ conditions, idiosyncracies, and general historical importance to Stooge fans.

Instances of high pricing on Triumphs and Tragedies reflect some sellers hoping that the old saying is true... "There is one born every minute." And, the ocassional buyer who proves the adage.

Offline Curly4444

I didn't mean it was actually stealing. It was just a figure of speech. And yes i know all the sellers aren't bad. I bought a few good items from sellers that weren't out to price gouge. I was just expressing outrage against those that would sell a music box set for $597.

Offline metaldams

I didn't mean it was actually stealing. It was just a figure of speech. And yes i know all the sellers aren't bad. I bought a few good items from sellers that weren't out to price gouge. I was just expressing outrage against those that would sell a music box set for $597.

Exactly what I meant to say, except I'm not sure if I expressed that clearly enough.  Thank you.

I believe somebody has a legal right to sell a box set for $597.  I just wouldn't have him or her over for dinner.
- Doug Sarnecky