Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Stooges Coll. Vol. 6 1949-1951, June 16

BeAStooge · 168 · 55943

Linked Events

• Stooges DVD Vol. 6 1949-1951: June 16, 2009 - June 22, 2009

Offline luke795

On the back of the Dokey Dicks vhs it says that Dokey Dicks is a 1949 short.

Does anyone think that Sony will release a complete 3 stooges dvd box set with all 190 shorts after all of the 2 discs volumes sets are released?

Offline ProfessorStooge

I believe the final shorts will be grouped as follows:

Volume 7: 1952-1954 (22 shorts)

Volume 8: 1955-1956 (16 shorts)

Volume 9: 1957-1959 (16 shorts)

Or 1955-1959 could be all in one volume with 32 shorts on 2 double-sided DVDs.

Volume 6 is selling exceptionally well on Amazon.com, so Volume 7 is likely.

xraffle

Or 1955-1959 could be all in one volume with 32 shorts on 2 double-sided DVDs.

Oh, please no! I'll pay the extra money for four discs. But please, Sony! No double-sided discs!

Offline falsealarms

Oh, please no! I'll pay the extra money for four discs. But please, Sony! No double-sided discs!

I'm with you. I don't want anything to do with double-sided discs.

Offline mark32570

Another way they could do it, and finish it up with only 2 more volumes, would be to make Volume 7 cover 1952-1955, and Volume 8 would be 1956-1959.
That way, Volume 7 would be Shemp's last 4 full years, and Volume 8 would be Shemp's 4 1956 shorts before his death, the 4 Joe Palma shorts, and lastly, the Joe Besser shorts.
Now that were getting to the weaker and less popular shorts, an added year to each set may help improve sales a bit.
"For you, I have thee grand surprise"
"So do I, if you only knew it"

Offline archiezappa

Here's my idea for the last few volumes:

The Three Stooges Collection, Volume 7: 1952-1954 which should include both the 2-D and 3-D versions of "Spooks" and "Pardon My Backfire."  And a few pairs of 3-D glasses would be nice, too.  This would be a great selling point.

The Three Stooges Collection, Volume 8: 1955-1957 which finishes up the Shemps and goes into the first year of Joes.  Yes, another crossover collection, but the main picture would be of Moe, Larry & Shemp, with a small picture of Joe Besser on the front with the notation "also includes Joe Besser" just like they did for the Curly to Shemp crossover.

The Three Stooges Collection, Volume 9: 1958-1959 would finish up the Columbia Shorts and would also include solo shorts from Shemp Howard and Joe Besser.

The Three Stooges Collection, Volume 10: The Feature Films would be a nice way to finish these sets.  It would include: "Rockin' In The Rockies," "Have Rocket, Will Travel," "Stop! Look! And Laugh," "The Three Stooges Meet Hercules," "The Three Stooges In Orbit," "The Three Stooges Go Around The World In A Daze," and "The Outlaws Is Coming."  This could also include Joe DeRita's Columbia shorts as bonus features.

Now, is all of this too much to ask?   :-\

Offline dimelives

I for one just don't want to see a change in the box set conformity. That is, I DON'T wanna see one of the last volumes be four discs, or double-sided discs, when the ENTIRE rest of the set has been the same way. No, no, NO! I too will pay the extra money to have separate sets. And if Sony is worried about lower sales of the final volume with Joe Besser, just don't print out as many initially. DON'T SHOVE IT ALL TOGETHER INTO ONE EYESORE OF A SET, PLEASE!!!

Offline archiezappa

I agree that each set should be 2 discs, just like the previous sets.  I'd like to see the sets be all *alike*.  My idea in my last post is good for that, except for the feature films.  Perhaps we should go up to volume 12 or something.  Have 2 disc sets all the way through "The Outlaws Is Coming."  But at some point, I'd like to see Shemp, Joe and Curly-Joe solo shorts.  They could continue the years thing and have a set of 1958-1960 with the rest of the Joes and 2 feature films: "Have Rocket Will Travel" and "Stop! Look! And Laugh."  then, the next volume could be 1961-1965 and include the last 4 feature films in a 2 disc set. 

I dunno, I'm sure they'll do us right.  They have so far.  But I must make one thing clear:  I don't want double-sided discs!

xraffle

Wow, I didn't think having more than 2 discs in a set would be a problem for anyone. I, personally, think having one volume with 3-4 discs is better than double sided discs or cramming so many shorts on a single-sided disc. Looks like Sony has a tough call to make on the last two volumes as each person seems to want something different. So, it seems like we're going to have a few dissatisfied fans no matter how Sony handles it.

Offline dimelives

You want a thicker volume out of nowhere at the end? I'd rather have volumes that conform to the layout we've had all along thus far, regardless of how many volumes it takes. Better that (imho) than to have a nice row of volumes that all look great, and then this fat volume at the end that sticks out like a sore thumb...

I really dunno if they are considering releasing the solo shorts of either Shemp or Besser, nor the feature films. I'd be perfectly content with them just putting out Volume 7: 1952-1954, Volume 8: 1955-1957 (with the crossover into Besser's just as they did for Shemp, as was already opinionated above^), and lastly Volume 9: 1958-1959 (either with or without any bonus materal, be it solo shorts or a couple feature movies, packed on, or not).

I just like things ORGANIZED and all in sync. Thus far, Sony's done BRILLIANTLY in that regard... I don't wanna see an awkward, fat volume bookending this great series, not horrendous double-sided discs cramming everything together.

Again, I WILL PAY FOR THE EXTRA VOLUMES, just keep it conformed. That's my $0.02 anyway.

Offline Stooges#1

I dont know if this has been discussed, I know about the audio dropout on the opening theme of some of the shorts, but did anyone catch the one in Punchy Cowpunchers? Right after Shemp drinks the sour milk, and does those sounds with his mouth, one of the Dillons turns around to another and you could see him saying something to him, the audio picks up something but you can barely hear what was said. Was that an audio dropout or was it original like that, on TV etc?

After watching all these Shemps upto now, volume 5-6, I think Punchy Cowpunchers is one of my favourites.

Offline FineBari3

I cannot remember if I heard that there will be no bonus features on any of the remaining volumes.  I know that some footage was shot of the supporting players at the Hollywood Collectors show back in 2007. Wasn't that Sony doing that?

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline falsealarms

I cannot remember if I heard that there will be no bonus features on any of the remaining volumes.  I know that some footage was shot of the supporting players at the Hollywood Collectors show back in 2007. Wasn't that Sony doing that?

I believe so but I've read that there has been some "legal" issues surrounding that.

xraffle

You want a thicker volume out of nowhere at the end? I'd rather have volumes that conform to the layout we've had all along thus far, regardless of how many volumes it takes. Better that (imho) than to have a nice row of volumes that all look great, and then this fat volume at the end that sticks out like a sore thumb...

Oh, that's why people don't want that. It will ruin the consistency of the packaging. Well what if they have a four disc set, but package two discs in one slim case? That way, you'll still get two slim cases. I've bought some TV shows with that kind of packaging and they're ok, but they're more fragile though. So, that may not be such a good idea.

And if Sony does make the last volume thicker, this isn't the first time this was done with a TV show. Look at the Looney Tunes sets. The first few volumes are thick, then the packaging became thinner after that. Same goes for Popeye. The first volumes was four discs and then the second volume was two discs.

Offline archiezappa

Oh, that's why people don't want that. It will ruin the consistency of the packaging. Well what if they have a four disc set, but package two discs in one slim case? That way, you'll still get two slim cases. I've bought some TV shows with that kind of packaging and they're ok, but they're more fragile though. So, that may not be such a good idea.

And if Sony does make the last volume thicker, this isn't the first time this was done with a TV show. Look at the Looney Tunes sets. The first few volumes are thick, then the packaging became thinner after that. Same goes for Popeye. The first volumes was four discs and then the second volume was two discs.

Yeah, that's like my sets of "The Dukes Of Hazzard."  Every set is a different thickness.  Kinda looks weird on the shelf.

Offline benjilbum

The Stooges are still pulling in big bucks for the studios and powers that be. Decades after they all passed away. Don't ever let anyone say that they are "minor comics" again!

Offline dimelives

Yeah... COULD work... but I'd really rather just have separate, more numerous volumes.

Just because the practice has been done doesn't mean it's GOOD. Especially not for our beloved Stooges!

Offline locoboymakesgood

Package it in a paper bag covered in dog shit and I'd still buy it. I wouldn't let something minor like packaging deter me from buying a feature-packed final Volume.

I just hope they do the original plan and include the Shemp and Besser solos.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline FineBari3

I believe so but I've read that there has been some "legal" issues surrounding that.

Yeah, that sounds like the same story that I thought I heard.
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline FineBari3

Package it in a paper bag covered in dog shit and I'd still buy it. I wouldn't let something minor like packaging deter me from buying a feature-packed final Volume.

Yes!  I can't believe you guys are complaining about the inconsistency of the thickness of the volumes! 

Remember about two years ago, when we didn't have any remastered, restored, and released in chronological order sets of the Stooges?
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline dimelives

Just stating ideal situations. People CAN have varying opinions, ya know?... [3stooges]

xraffle

Yes!  I can't believe you guys are complaining about the inconsistency of the thickness of the volumes! 

Remember about two years ago, when we didn't have any remastered, restored, and released in chronological order sets of the Stooges?

[thumbsup2] I agree with you both. I'd rather have a thick final volume with beautifully restored shorts than have one with consistent packaging, but lacks in picture/sound quality. As long as all 190 shorts are released unedited and restored on single-sided discs, then I'm happy.

Offline dimelives

Can no one read entire posts on here or something?

When did anyone, including myself, ever argue that we want everything CRAMMED onto one last volume, via either dual-sided discs or poor quality?... In fact, I'm quite sure I argued AGAINST that.

As I said, I'd prefer MORE NUMEOUS volumes that kept with the style and organization of all the volumes thus far rather than one fat, jumbled, awkward box.

Conformed box sets, AT THE SAME QUALITY AS THUS FAR, even if it takes 10 volumes. That is what I, for one, want. NOT crap quality, NOT double-sided discs.

Where's the miscommunication?... [pie]

Offline archiezappa

Whether it's 10 volumes or 20 volumes, I can't wait until I have all of them.  These sets are so awesome!  The best films of yesterday meet the technology of today.   ;D

Offline stooge1029

Im glad one of my first posts sparked this much response. It will be interesting to see how they handle this but I agree that double sided disks are out. Id like some conformity but if they wanna throw in a third disk on the last volume I dont think Id have a problem with it as it will probably cost less than buying a seperate set for those final shorts which will be interesting to watch but never make it to the regular rotation in my dvd player.