Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What is Larry saying in Pig Latin?

· 15 · 8174

Dog Hambone

In Tassels in the Air, the boys are seated around a desk or table in their office eating & Moe says "Immegay the altsay" (Gimme the salt), and Larry replies in pig latin, but I've never been able to understand what he says. Can anyone out there tell me what he is saying?
Thanks

xraffle

In Tassels in the Air, the boys are seated around a desk or table in their office eating & Moe says "Immegay the altsay" (Gimme the salt), and Larry replies in pig latin, but I've never been able to understand what he says. Can anyone out there tell me what he is saying?
Thanks

You're in luck. I'm in the process of transcribing that episode. Hopefully it will be completed and posted next week. But based on what I heard and saw in the closed captions, Larry replies, "Eep-kay your irt-shay on." The translation being: Keep your shirt on.

Dog Hambone

I know what you're thinking... "Anyone can understand it. It's very simple." To which my reply is... "Well, I can't and I'm simple!"

xraffle

I know what you're thinking... "Anyone can understand it. It's very simple." To which my reply is... "Well, I can't and I'm simple!"

Boy are you umb-day! And you’re not just umb-day in pig language, but in any language. ;)

Offline Hammond Eggar

Someone needs to change the quote on the Wikipedia page for Tassels in the Air.  After reading the above coments, what Larry is quoted as saying is obvious gibberish.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

xraffle

Even the closed captions on the Volume 2 DVD was incorrect. It went something like this: "Eepkay rightshay on." Based on my hearing and the weird closed captions, I just put two and two together, and it sounds like Larry is saying "Keep your shirt on" in pig Latin. That makes the most sense.

And yeah, that Wikipedia quotes section is wrong. There's even other dialogue that's not accurate. Someone should take what I did on my transcript and put it up there. I would do it, but I'm lazy and some idiot out there will always revise/delete what you put up.

Offline FineBari3

Just out of curiosity, any of the 'youngins' on the board even know what Pig Latin is?  Is it still used?
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

xraffle

Just out of curiosity, any of the 'youngins' on the board even know what Pig Latin is?  Is it still used?

It's some kind of secret language people use to talk behind people's back. I learned it in grammar school (by my classmates, not my teacher). Like Larry said, the language is very simple. Just take the first letter of every word and add it at the end and add "-ay" to it. An example is: "dumb" = umb-day. And no, Curly does not equal "Curlicue" or "Umbday." ;) Curly is "urly-cay" in Pig Latin. Take the "c" and move it at the end and add an "-ay." The only exceptions are words like shirt, chair, etc. With those words, you move the first two letters of the word to end.

And yeah, that Wikipedia quotes section is wrong. There's even other dialogue that's not accurate. Someone should take what I did on my transcript and put it up there. I would do it, but I'm lazy and some idiot out there will always revise/delete what you put up.
Yep, and often without any kind of explanation or justification, too.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Dog Hambone

I recall Pig Latin had a mini-revival of sorts a few years back when Sadam Hussein's two sons (Uday & Qusay, or something similar) were killed. There was even a thread at this site where some of us were calling them things like Ixnay and Amscray, and I saw an editorial page cartoon around that time where a guy remarked that Uday & Qusay were "ead-day" (i.e., dead).   

Offline Lefty

I recall Pig Latin had a mini-revival of sorts a few years back when Sadam Hussein's two sons (Uday & Qusay, or something similar) were killed. There was even a thread at this site where some of us were calling them things like Ixnay and Amscray, and I saw an editorial page cartoon around that time where a guy remarked that Uday & Qusay were "ead-day" (i.e., dead).   

I thought that Saddam Hussein's (or So Damn Insane's) sons were Ootfray and Oopslay.  (Many decades ago there was a Froot Loops commercial where they had to say the name of the cereal in Pig Latin.)  This described those two diaperheads perfectly.

The only exceptions are words like shirt, chair, etc. With those words, you move the first two letters of the word to end.
And then there are words that start with vowels. You just add "-ay" to the end of those, right?

At-ay, on-ay, is-ay, obstetrician-ay...
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Dog Hambone

And then there are words that start with vowels. You just add "-ay" to the end of those, right?

At-ay, on-ay, is-ay, obstetrician-ay...

I'm not sure about that one. See xraffle's first post above; when Larry replied to Moe, he didn't use Pig Latin on the words that started with vowels. Also, in Three Little Pigskins, I recall Larry asking Lucille Ball "at-whay are ou-yay oing-day onight-tay?" (what are you doing tonight?). Apparently, Larry doesn't use Pig Latin on words that start with vowels. I don't know if there's a hard and fast rule on that one, though. 

Dog Hambone

Desmond,
You may be right. After I entered the last post, I checked Wikipedia, and here are their rules for Pig latin:

"The usual rules for changing standard English into Pig Latin are as follows:

In words that begin with consonant sounds, the initial consonant or consonant cluster is moved to the end of the word, and "ay" is added, as in the following examples:
beast → east-bay
dough → ough-day
happy → appy-hay
question → estion-quay
star → ar-stay
three → ee-thray
In words that begin with vowel sounds or silent consonants, the syllable "ay" is added to the end of the word. In some dialects, to aid in pronunciation, an extra consonant is added to the beginning of the suffix; for instance, eagle could yield eagle'yay, eagle'way, or eagle'hay.[citation needed]
Transcription varies. A hyphen or apostrophe is sometimes used to facilitate translation back into English. Ayspray, for instance, is ambiguous, but ay-spray means "spray" whereas ays-pray means "prays."