Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

"Region Free" DVD Player Recommendations??

Hello fellow knuckleheads, I am considering buying a "Region Free" DVD player so I can purchase some Laurel and Hardy DVD's that have been made in the United Kingdom..they have the film "Blockheads" and more on DVD..I am sick waiting for the L and H movies to come out in the US..They only thing they threw at us is "Sons of the Desert" and that other public domain stuff like "Utopia". I am tired of spending money on prehistoric VHS tapes. Does anyone have a Region Free player?? what brand is good?? You can purchase them for cheap on the web, but I do not see any well known brands..is there a good website to buy them?? thanks

Offline jaronson

• Numbskull
  • Team Stooge
  • Birdbrain
I was wondering the same thing since I want to buy some Three Stooges DVDs from Australia that have some rare Shemp shorts never released here.  I printed an old topic about these DVDs before the site was last redesigned and the following rare Shemp shorts are available on these DVDs:

Baby Sitters Jitters*2
Hot Stuff2
Blunder Boys
Up In Daisy's Penthouse
Husbands Beware*
Tricky Dicks2
Loose Loot*
Booty And The Beast
Flagpole Jitters
Pardon My Backfire
For Crimin' Out Loud
Rip, Sew, And Stitch
Rumpus In The Harem*

*-Released in various volumes of "The Three Stooges Collection" by Goodtimes
2-Released twice on two different Australian DVDs by two different companies.

Also the following Curly and Shemp shorts that are available on VHS here but not on DVD are available on these Australian DVDs:

Cookoo Cavaliers
So Long, Mr. Chumps
From Nurse To Worse
A Gem Of A Jam
Three Little Sew And Sews
Even As I.O.U.
Rhythm And Weep
Three Pests In A Mess
Slippery Silks
All Gummed Up
He Cooked His Goose
Half Shot Shooters
A Missed Fortune
Dunked In The Deep
A Snitch In Time
Gents In A Jam
Monkey Businessmen

Like many of you guys will be after seeing these extensive lists, I'm extremely jealous of all of these shorts available there in DVD, but not here.  Hopefully many of us will make an investment in a Region-Free or Region 4 DVD player and the DVDs.
Larry: Wait a minute, you forgot something. *SLAP* That’s what you forgot.   -TRICKY DICKS

Moe: This is a pool game, not a blitzkrieg.  I think I’ll invade you.    -I’LL NEVER HEIL AGAIN

Stanley Blystone: But my Fuhrer, ve are Nazis, ve have no brains.    -BACK FROM THE FRONT

2007 New York Giants: Super Bowl XLII Champions

Offline prodigalkid

CyberHome (CH-DVD 300) makes an excellent, relatively inexpensive, and compact Region Free DVD player.  I purchased one on Ebay from the seller 'bargainoffers' last month, and it plays the Australian Three Stooges DVDs you have mentioned on any US or Canadian TV.
The Australian DVD sets are excellent and the price is great too.  For around 10 American dollars you get 24 Stooge shorts.
If our friends from "Down Under" can be so generous, why can't Sony/Columbia?

Offline Baggie

I have all four Volumes of those Australian DVDs, and they have contain many shorts the region 1's do not. I think any Multi-region DVD player is good as long as it works.

Diana, I recommend you purchase the full Laurel and Hardy Box Set of 21 DVDs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001K2KE8/qid=1105523598/ref=pd_ka_0/202-8841689-2771805

It may seem like quite a lot of money, but is amazing value considering the amount of stuff you get. It includes everything they did at Universal plus a bonus disc. An individual disc out of the set costs around £15.99, and the full box set from Amazon.co.uk costs £84.97 new, so by buying the box you'll make a huge saving. Hope this helps you out.

The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline bam

Hi baggie, i see you have the australian stooges dvds ! Could you tell me how the dvd picture quality is on volume 1 and 3 ?

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Can you not bring up dead threads to ask a question you have already asked in other threads?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline bam

Sorry about that, the only reason i did it is because i figured that maybe the people who own the australian dvds, didnt read the other thread, so i took a chance.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well repeating your question over and over again will not mean that it will be answered sooner, so relax. By the way, the word "I" should be capitalized.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown