Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

THREE STOOGES COLLECTION VOLUME 4 FULL REVIEW

Guest · 35 · 14253

Offline Myren

Yes! I definitely want Volume 5 to come, not so much because I want to complete the Curly collection, but because I want Shemp now.

I have my fingers crossed on getting all the Shemp's on DVD! (seeing as I am missing a few form the vhs days.) And the new dvd's take up much less room!!!

Offline Myren

Amazon ranks Volume 4 at #19 as of this post (Disney's re-issue of "Sleeping Beauty" is #1).

That is pretty good seeing as there was no advertising for the releases.

Also does any one know if there are any “Easter Eggs” on any of these new Stooge sets? ( I am guessing there are not)

Offline Six and 7 8s

I don't understand...

What do you mean "inferior" audio. Inferior pertaining to what? Explain this to me... the short itself or certain parts in the short? The things you're speaking of (In my most respectable and honest opinion) are inferior themselves.

Quite frankly I can't put down a SINGLE complaint (Nor would I) because what Sony has done here has gone beyond my dreams as a one hell of a hardcore Stooge fan. I mean this is something I've always WANTED growing up 10-15 years ago (Especially in CHRONOLOGICAL order in a volume SET). Somebody finally woke up and realized just how spectacular these guys were.

I for one love every penny I've put into these shorts. I'd pay $30.00+ for these if they were that price because something like this will be cherished for the years to come... and in doing so I don't think any of you should have any complaints. Of course... I'm just putting my two cents in the air. Feel free to flame but honestly... I can't thank everyone enough (All who was involved in the production of the volumes) for putting together an awesome collection. If anyone can direct me to someone responsible for the production of these volumes... please send me their e-mail so I can personally write to them with my satisfaction of the volume sets and continue to wait for a soon to be Volume 5!!!

xraffle

What do you mean "inferior" audio. Inferior pertaining to what? Explain this to me... the short itself or certain parts in the short? The things you're speaking of (In my most respectable and honest opinion) are inferior themselves.

It's just a slight hiss in the dialogue. It's very minor that you can only notice it when wearing headphones.

Offline Larry Larry

That is pretty good seeing as there was no advertising for the releases.

Also does any one know if there are any “Easter Eggs” on any of these new Stooge sets? ( I am guessing there are not)

I don't think there are.

And not sure why they would do that anyway.  On the 4 volumes so far, there aren't ANY bonus features, so I'd think they would promote the extra material as "bonus"  rather than an Easter Egg.  Most people hate DVD Easter Eggs any way. 
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline OldFred

A question regarding the Stooge collections: Does anyone know if future volumes will have any kind of bonus material offering background on the Stooges and the shorts? I would think with Vol. 5 coming that there should be some kind of short film tracing the history of the Stooges and giving some transitional information between the Curly and Shemp shorts.

stooged and confused

There was talk of extras on Volume 1, but they were scraped for the time being. Anything from bios on each Stooge to a 'pop up video' style trivia feature, but no plans as of yet on when these ,or any other extras, will surface on future volumes. When I receive the official press releases from Sony, I will post them and the release will offer the extras information if they included them on any future releases.

Offline Larry Larry

Thank you Sony for this new collection! 

However, its a shame Sony isn't including at least some bonus material.

While original content would be the best (IE: documentaries and commentaries), there is no shortage of other Three Stooges clips from TV appearances, promotional films, trailers, commercials & other films that already exists. 

Be sure to check out "Extreme Rarities".   It's almost all public domain material, but at least it is cleaned up & compiled on 1 disc.

It's an excellent treasure trove of Stooges bonus material that Sony really should be including on this collection.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline JLNeibaur

Very good, thorough review.  I enjoyed the detail and star rating for each short in the set.

Here is my review:
http://www.roguecinema.com/article-1517--0-0.html

Looking forward to future volumes with Shemp

JN

Offline The 4th Stooge

I would say Curly's decline shows in "The Yoke's On Me", as well as "Crash Goes the Hash." Not so much physical, even though he was a bit slower in movement, but in voice.  His voice in "Yoke" grates on my nerves during the "feather dance", and I'm not sure if that would've been because of a stroke, or just the voice he chose.  In "Crash Goes the Hash," he seemed to use his regular voice a LOT.  Maybe I'm wrong and need to watch it again, but I remember his regular voice in more scenes than when he tells Larry that the Prince and Old Lady Van Bustle were over by the piano.

Then again, it was mentioned in one of the books (I forget which one) that Shemp replaced Curly during personal appearances in the early 1940s, so maybe there's a change before 1944.