Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

L & H What did you think

Offline Sadistic Stooge

What did every one think of the TCM Laurel & Hardy Festival ? Do you think they left out any thing that they should of played ?

Myself I would have to say "Busy Bodies" , Come Clean" & "Towed In A Hole"

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I was happy with it.  I picked up about a dozen items that I didn't have in my collection yet.   ;D

Offline locoboymakesgood

I literally watched all 24 hours. Granted the only non-Roach feature they showed was Air Raid Wardens (unless you count Fra Diavolo or The Flying Deuces), and wow.. having not seen anything past A Chump at Oxford.. I was beyond shocked.

I mean, I know most of those movies have bad reputations (the Fox films especially), but it was so sad watching some of them. Glad I got to see a lot of the ones I hadn't seen in awhile.

Now, my only big complaint was the quality of prints they used on some of the shorts. Swiss Miss in particular had fade in/fade out that was starting to get annoying.. I know they haven't been cleaned up for the US yet, but couldn't TCM have gotten the prints used in the UK box? The quality of Flying Deuces was atrocious.. granted it's in public domain, but still. I don't know how all that works.. I was just disappointed some of the features were in just awful quality.

Also, for those who have interest, Norbert Aping's book on the turmoil behind Atoll K FINALLY has seen stateside release with an Enlgish translation (he's a German film enthusiast). It's on Amazon now, and it's a little pricey, but from what the people at the L&H Board have been saying it's more than worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Film-Laurel-Hardy-Marketing/dp/0786433027/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219089583&sr=1-2

I still haven't brought myself to sitting through it. I think I may purchase the book first.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Sadistic Stooge

I literally watched all 24 hours. Granted the only non-Roach feature they showed was Air Raid Wardens (unless you count Fra Diavolo or The Flying Deuces), and wow.. having not seen anything past A Chump at Oxford.. I was beyond shocked.

I mean, I know most of those movies have bad reputations (the Fox films especially), but it was so sad watching some of them. Glad I got to see a lot of the ones I hadn't seen in awhile.

Now, my only big complaint was the quality of prints they used on some of the shorts. Swiss Miss in particular had fade in/fade out that was starting to get annoying.. I know they haven't been cleaned up for the US yet, but couldn't TCM have gotten the prints used in the UK box? The quality of Flying Deuces was atrocious.. granted it's in public domain, but still. I don't know how all that works.. I was just disappointed some of the features were in just awful quality.

Also, for those who have interest, Norbert Aping's book on the turmoil behind Atoll K FINALLY has seen stateside release with an Enlgish translation (he's a German film enthusiast). It's on Amazon now, and it's a little pricey, but from what the people at the L&H Board have been saying it's more than worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Film-Laurel-Hardy-Marketing/dp/0786433027/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219089583&sr=1-2

I still haven't brought myself to sitting through it. I think I may purchase the book first.

Yes , I have to agree with you about TCM showing crappy prints . Flying Deuces is vary awful quality print that they show. If you are looking for one of the best prints of Flying Deuces get the Kino dvd version (you can find it on amazon) . As for the rest of the movies and shorts the UK box set is the only good prints out there for now . The Movies that L & H made at Fox were not there best work they did but they are fun to watch . Fox did a outstanding job at restoring all there movies and putting good extras in them as well .

Offline FineBari3

I was happy with it.  I picked up about a dozen items that I didn't have in my collection yet.   ;D

I was very happy as well.  Most of the L&H stuff that I have is from TCM, and I was very happy that they showed a lot of shorts, as I do not care for their features that much.

BTW, Laurel and Hardy were the first comedy team that I obsessed over, shortly followed by the Stooges! I remember going to the library when I was a little girl and checking out a huge book on L&H that was over 400 pages (and hardback).
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

Unfortunately, TCM decided to air a Laurel and Hardy festival the day of my friend's wedding, so I did not get to see any of it!

....and I learned something interesting that day.  I knew his sister was named Geri, but I never knew she married a guy whose last name was Lewis.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Sadistic Stooge

Unfortunately, TCM decided to air a Laurel and Hardy festival the day of my friend's wedding, so I did not get to see any of it!

....and I learned something interesting that day.  I knew his sister was named Geri, but I never knew she married a guy whose last name was Lewis.

Wow, what are the odds lol

Offline Lefty

I didn't even remember to tune it in, being busy then.  There are two guys at work that would make a perfect Laurel & Hardy. 

Offline Bammer

I thought the L&H festival was great. I wish they would have shown "Perfect Day", "Below Zero"  "Towed in a hole"  and "Berthmarks" I thought those were very good shows.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 06:19:06 PM by metaldams »

Offline Bammer

Bammer,

I just moved your remarks and the quote it was replying to in the same post.  In the future, just type your remarks below the quote on the same post....and welcome to the board.

- Metaldams
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 06:21:16 PM by metaldams »

Offline FineBari3

I would have liked to see some silent L & H stuff. Do they ever put any of their silent films on TCM?
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson