Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Content changes on Shemp Cocktail DVD

Linked Events

• Shemp Cocktail DVD: March 18, 2008 - March 24, 2008

Offline falsealarms

If you notice what was originally touted as being on the DVD ... compared to what the shempcompany.com website has listed now ... you'll see a difference.

I tried e-mailing Shempcompany.com a few days ago and received no response. Gary Lassin e-mailed Passport DVD and got one:

Passport says: "We had to make a change in the content of Disc One. We removed three Shemp shorts due to our concern regarding copyright registration issues. We replaced the three shorts with the full length version of Africa Screams. The net result is the run time is now 315 minutes and we have two features plus three shorts on Disc One."

Lassin adds: "The bottom line is that it looks like "Corn on the Cop", "Saltwater Daffy" and "His First Flame" have been dropped and it will now contain the complete "Africa Screams" instead of just outtakes. That means the contents listing  at shempcompany.com is what apparently will actually be on the DVD."

This whole set went from being possibly worthwhile to being pretty much a bust.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 10:45:24 AM by BeAStooge »

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Copyrights really make things a bitch!

I'll pass on this now...

Greed is by far the worst human trait out there.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
I have already preordered this title. Its still nice despite the copyright Three Loan Wolves.

Robin

Offline Justin T

If you notice what was originally touted as being on the DVD ... compared to what the shempcompany.com website has listed now ... you'll see a difference.

I tried e-mailing Shempcompany.com a few days ago and received no response. Gary Lassin e-mailed Passport DVD and got one:

Passport says: "We had to make a change in the content of Disc One. We removed three Shemp shorts due to our concern regarding copyright registration issues. We replaced the three shorts with the full length version of Africa Screams. The net result is the run time is now 315 minutes and we have two features plus three shorts on Disc One."

Lassin adds: "The bottom line is that it looks like "Corn on the Cop", "Saltwater Daffy" and "His First Flame" have been dropped and it will now contain the complete "Africa Screams" instead of just outtakes. That means the contents listing  at shempcompany.com is what apparently will actually be on the DVD."

This whole set went from being possibly worthwhile to being pretty much a bust.

Yeah, im dissapointed they had to take out 3 of the 5 Shemp solo's, I'll have to rethink about getting this. Although I dont have Africa Screams either.

Copyrights are a bitch indeed.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline locoboymakesgood

Good thing I didn't pre-order this yet. I'm going to pass. Why would I want some public domain movie already available under 100 different releases? Not interested.

That's really sad. Well there went my excitement for March.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
I've never seen Henry the Ache or Convention 'girl (abeit shortened) Along with other titles I don't own so Im not complainin after already ordering it.

If the supposed owners of this zapped material (who have not complained or even don't know its being released probably) have a  problem with it, Why not release it themselves.  This stuff just sits in the vaults and slowly erodes from existence.

Make it available, Keep it from being forgotten, and Just release it already before we collect our Old age pensions!  Like I said, STILL enough unreleased shorts that I have not seen yet and the price is a steal just for the stuff enclosed within.  I'd order it because It'll go unreleased for another decade or more.

And That is MY last statement on this subject.

Offline archiezappa

I guess I'm gonna pass on this title.

Attention Warner Brothers:  When will you be releasing The Shemp Howard Short Films Collection?  If you won't let other companies release it, then release it yourselves.  It's obvious from the response on this website that it will be worthwhile.  Don't you want to make money from people willing to spend it?

I hope someone at Warner Brothers, someone that will make a difference, reads this.

Offline falsealarms

I was on the fence as well, but excluding those three solos not will likely mean I'll pass. Like most people, I already have everything on disc 2, and what's left isn't worth it for me at $20 shipped. Half that, sure. The features are nice, but it's the shorts that have the most replay value for me. Almost everything on there, including both features, have had their own prior release on DVD. The retrospective on Shemp is nice, but not enough.

It doesn't seem like "Knife" and "Ache" are anyone's idea of a good Shemp solo, either.

Offline rialtos

The content changes on SHEMP COCKTAIL are indeed a disappointment, but the nearly hour-long Bonus Features will, I think, still make this a handy, worthwhile, economical addition to the shelf. The interviews with Shemp's daughter-in-law, Geri; Geri's sister, Diane; and Geri's daughter, Jill are really warm, funny and wonderful - and are firsthand reminiscences and perceptions from their own experiences with Shemp, rather than secondhand retellings or rehashings.

The interviews are illustrated with rare personal photos, clips from the films, and some previously unseen home movies from 1931 that show Shemp, Babe, Moe, Helen, Mort, and Joan Howard during that brief period away from Healy, plus some other, later, color home movies with Babe and the children.

Additionally, there's a PHOTO GALLERY of 25 sharp, interesting, rarely (if ever) seen stills, snapshots, publicity shots, "narrated" by Jill Howard, who adds her personal insight into the descriptions.

So yes, it's too bad those shorts were left out, but I still think it's a worthwhile item to snap up if you have a serious interest in learning more about the personal side of Shemp, Babe, and Mort - from the people who were really there (including Geri's description of being invited to the set of AFRICA SCREAMS and watching her future father-in-law performing for the first time), and it puts the rest of the more-familiar material on the two discs into a new perspective.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... interviews with Shemp's daughter-in-law, Geri; Geri's sister, Diane; and Geri's daughter, Jill are really warm, funny and wonderful - and are firsthand reminiscences and perceptions from their own experiences with Shemp, rather than secondhand retellings or rehashings.

The interviews are illustrated with rare personal photos, clips from the films, and some previously unseen home movies from 1931 that show Shemp, Babe, Moe, Helen, Mort, and Joan Howard during that brief period away from Healy, plus some other, later, color home movies with Babe and the children.

Additionally, there's a PHOTO GALLERY of 25 sharp, interesting, rarely (if ever) seen stills, snapshots, publicity shots, "narrated" by Jill Howard, who adds her personal insight into the descriptions.

Also recommended is PRIVATE BUCKAROO (1942), one of Shemp's best feature film credits. His scenes with Mary Wickes are hilarious, and Shemp joining the Andrews Sisters in the musical finale is a highlight. Although public domain, it's not received too much circulation in past years (as compared to other pd fare).

A reminder...

The three dropped Vitaphone titles were not "premieres" on this collection. They have been on other DVD (and VHS) collections over the past ten years; out-of-print, but still accessible from Amazon and various resellers. This site's Filmography listings for SALT WATER DAFFY (1933), CORN ON THE COP (1934) and HIS FIRST FLAME (1935) have Amazon links to acquire copies of these films. Or, refer to the Videography.

Offline archiezappa

I dunno.  The set is probably worth getting.  I've thought it over and I'm wondering:  Why couldn't they cut it down to a single disc?  I don't need another copy of "Brideless Groom," "Sing A Song Of Six Pants" and "Malice In The Palice."  I have had them several times over.  They're not necessary.  I also don't need "Africa Screams" again, either.

What they need to do, is release a single disc with the following:

"Henry The Ache"
"Knife Of The Party"
"Convention Girl"
"Private Buckeroo"

Plus the new interviews with the family members.

That would be what I'd want.  Then, the next move would be to try to get Warner Brothers to release a set of the Vitaphone Shorts remastered.  What do ya'll think?

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (False Alarms):

I was getting ready to pre-order this Shemp Collection since I am a Shemp-a-holic.  But after reading what you have posted as the Updates I just would like to thank you for the wonderful information.  Like the others have said this is a really poor collection of Shemp features.  They have deleted the ones I was hoping to get and added the only one I did not want since it is with Besser.

Thank you Sir for your help and this also dampened my spirts for March.

Pleas enjoy your upcoming Easter Holiday weekend.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]

Offline JazzBill

The interviews with Shemp's daughter-in-law, Geri; Geri's sister, Diane; and Geri's daughter, Jill are really warm, funny and wonderful - and are firsthand reminiscences and perceptions from their own experiences with Shemp, rather than secondhand retellings or rehashings.

I have to disagree with you on this. I just finished watching the Bonus Features and I disagree with some of the dates and so called facts. Geri said Ted Healy was a close friend of Shemps, but I always heard he was Moe's close friend. She also said that Ted told Moe and Shemp to go to Philadelphia with him and check out some guy named Larry Fine. I always thought they found Larry working in Chicago. She also said that Curly had his stroke and Shemp rejoined the Stooges in 1945. ??
One thing I found interesting is that she had a picture of one of the Howard's that didn't go into showbiz. (Jack or Irving ) He looked just like Curly.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Hammond Eggar

Good thing I didn't pre-order this yet. I'm going to pass. Why would I want some public domain movie already available under 100 different releases? Not interested.

That's really sad. Well there went my excitement for March.

Just keep thinking about May, Locoboy.  That's when Sony will give fans something about which we can really get excited.  May will be here sooner than we think.  I can hardly wait! ;D
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Hammond Eggar

I dunno.  The set is probably worth getting.  I've thought it over and I'm wondering:  Why couldn't they cut it down to a single disc?  I don't need another copy of "Brideless Groom," "Sing A Song Of Six Pants" and "Malice In The Palice."  I have had them several times over.  They're not necessary.  I also don't need "Africa Screams" again, either.

What they need to do, is release a single disc with the following:

"Henry The Ache"
"Knife Of The Party"
"Convention Girl"
"Private Buckeroo"

Plus the new interviews with the family members.

That would be what I'd want.  Then, the next move would be to try to get Warner Brothers to release a set of the Vitaphone Shorts remastered.  What do ya'll think?

I agree 100%.  I hope somebody wises up and actually gives us the Vitaphone shorts on DVD.  Now, that would be a release worth celebrating. ;)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Jimmie Adams

I remember seeing Private Buckaroo in the seventies and thinking this was the best Shemp solo effort.  It was Universal ripping off their own film BUCK PRIVATES with A&C but it works because of Shemp.  I can remember my little brother laughing like hell at this.

Passport has ripped of AFRICA SCREAMS from Ray Faiola on a previous disc.  Ray & Co. went to a heck of a lot of trouble to find 35mm original nitrate elements to make his disc.  Most video presentations prior to this were from 16mm dupes made in the '70's. Then Passport ripped it off from Ray and put their logo in the corner of their video version to keep people from ripping off what they ripped off.  The utter gall of these mooks.  Avoid Passport like the plague.  A pox on Passport.   >:( 

Offline Benno123

What are good DVD sources for Africa Screams and Jack and the Beanstalk?

Do you think someday Sony may release a box set (or two) of non-Stooges short subjects?  I still have high hopes for that!!!!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Passport has ripped of AFRICA SCREAMS from Ray Faiola on a previous disc.  Ray & Co. went to a heck of a lot of trouble to find 35mm original nitrate elements to make his disc.  Most video presentations prior to this were from 16mm dupes made in the '70's. Then Passport ripped it off from Ray and put their logo in the corner of their video version to keep people from ripping off what they ripped off.

The 1991 Image Entertainment laser disc AFRICA SCREAMS was produced by Bob Furmanek. Ray was involved in that too (he's not listed in the liner notes)?

The first public domain distributor to rip off the Image LD was GoodTimes, which "used" it to upgrade its VHS in the mid-1990s, and then transferred the same pirated copy onto its DVD line in 2000. Legend Films acquired GT's video master library in 2005... Legend has been working off that same copy.

Other/subsequent pd distributors (Platinum, Diamond, Madacy, St. Clair, etc., etc.) have probably worked off GT's videos, which were readily available (vs. the '91 LD's niche market and limited retail distribution).

Passport's "Shemp Cocktail" copy has worse video quality than past pds... it almost looks like a 2nd or 3rd generation analog copy. The outtakes, also taken from the '91 Image laser disc, are obviously copied. But they're not directly from the Image laser disc... at very least, they're a couple generations removed.

In regard to Passport and its marketing of public domain material... I agree with you. Specifically to the AFRICA SCREAMS copy on the recent "Shemp Cocktail" collection, I hold Passport in even lower regard.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
A really good copy of Africa Screams is from the hal roach studios on amazon .com

http://www.amazon.com/Africa-Screams-Bud-Abbott/dp/B000EOTW8I/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1206845162&sr=1-32

A legit copy... the Hal Roach DVD was released via Image Entertainment... using the restored transfer produced by Bob Furmanek for an Image laser disc in 1991.

Offline archiezappa

I didn't know that there even was a legit copy of Africa Screams.  I guess you learn something new, every day.

The Shemp Howard Collection would be a great idea to put all of those Vitaphone shorts remastered on a DVD collection.  I saw Shemp Cocktail in the store, but didn't buy it.  It looks good (nice cover), but that's about it.  The contents stinks.  They should have used the same clever title as a first volume in a collection of Shemp's Vitaphone shorts.  Or, even better, a collection of Shemp's solo shorts for Columbia.  Both deserve consideration. 

I, personally, would like to see more of these movie shorts released anyway.  Any of the ones from Columbia, since they all have all of the supporting players we've all grown to love:  Vernon Dent, Christine McIntyre, Emil Sitka...all the greats.  I would be interested in watching all of the Columbia shorts.  There's a lot of comedy history in those shorts.  The same goes for the Vitaphone shorts.  I've seen one that has Fatty Arbuckle and Shemp Howard.  I liked Fatty in that one and would like to see more of his work.  No, I've never seen any of his silent movies.  What is it about silent movies?  They're never on television anymore.  Oh well.

Offline Ray Faiola

The 1991 Image Entertainment laser disc AFRICA SCREAMS was produced by Bob Furmanek. Ray was involved in that too (he's not listed in the liner notes)?

Just to clarify this officially, I had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the AFRICA SCREAMS (or any other) laser disc.  This was Bob Furmanek's project all the way.