Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

34-36 DVD gets listed on "best of 07" list

Offline falsealarms

From DVD Talk's top 20 DVDs of 2007:

"13: Three Stooges Collection: Volume One 1934 - 1936: Arguably the most mismanaged "franchise" among classic library titles, The Three Stooges' popular two-reel shorts had been subjected to overpriced, inanely-themed sets and even worse colorized reissues, but Sony finally got its act together in 2007 with this marvelous set. At long last fans of the iconic comedy team are getting what they've been asking for all along: the shorts presented in chronological order in gloriously restored versions that, despite their familiarity, are so impressively pristine that it's almost like watching them for the first time. Though just eight of the 19 shorts are new to DVD, they represent the team at its hilarious peak and include such classics of short comedy as Punch Drunks, Uncivil Warriors, and Three Little Beers. One question remains, however: Will Sony see this through to the end, through the peaks and valleys of Stoogedom with later "Third Stooges" Shemp Howard and Joe Besser? Only time (and sales figures) will tell."

http://www.dvdtalk.com/features/top_twenty_rele.html

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Very cool to see this set mentioned.

How much good press/sales does Sony need before it goes "I guess this is a hit, lets do Volume 2"?
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline archiezappa

That's totally awesome!  Our boys made the list!  Now, if Sony will follow through, they'll make all of us Stooge fans so happy.  I hope volume 2 comes out real soon.

Curley91

I'm happy to see that the Stooges made the list.  This DVD most certainly deserved it. 

Now Sony has to put out a volume 2 to keep the drive alive!!  ;D

xraffle

I agree with everyone. What's the delay with Volume 2? The original plan was to release a 2-3 year set every 2 months. What's going on?!

Offline locoboymakesgood

I agree with everyone. What's the delay with Volume 2? The original plan was to release a 2-3 year set every 2 months. What's going on?!
They're sitting on a gold mine. A lot of these shorts are obviously already restored just waiting to be pressed on to discs. I'm getting impatient.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

JH24

Guys dont hold your breaths for volume 2 soon. It will come out but probably not for another 4-5 months i would think.

I mean volume 1 was announced, or that it was to be released judging by Stooged and Confused review on Amazon, in July and that came out at the end of October. So if volume 2 is announced next week then dont expect it soon after rather in a few months.

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
Guys dont hold your breaths for volume 2 soon. It will come out but probably not for another 4-5 months i would think.

I mean volume 1 was announced, or that it was to be released judging by Stooged and Confused review on Amazon, in July and that came out at the end of October. So if volume 2 is announced next week then dont expect it soon after rather in a few months.

I was wondering when it was announced for Volume 1.  So, if by the end of January we hear about Volume 2 that would place it at around April...Six months of waiting for each set.  That's Hell in my book.   >:D
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline locoboymakesgood

I was wondering when it was announced for Volume 1.  So, if by the end of January we hear about Volume 2 that would place it at around April...Six months of waiting for each set.  That's Hell in my book.   >:D
It's pretty fucking lame. There's no excuse for it to be taking that long. At that pace DVD will be a dead format by the time we get all 190 shorts.

You guys have to remember though, the set was originally planned for a September 19th release so if it was announced at the end of July then that's like a month and a half window. Anything's possible.

xraffle

Maybe Sony only plans to release one set per year. So, that means we won't have all 12 sets until the year 2019.

Moe: Oh! We can't wait that long.
Curly: Why not? Time marches on.

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
Maybe Sony only plans to release one set per year. So, that means we won't have all 12 sets until the year 2019.

Moe: Oh! We can't wait that long.
Curly: Why not? Time marches on.

I sure as Hell hope not.  I'll find some average/good VHS taped versions and transfer them to DVD before I wait 11 years!  The longer Sony waits, the more upset the fans will get.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I sure as Hell hope not.  I'll find some average/good VHS taped versions and transfer them to DVD before I wait 11 years!  The longer Sony waits, the more upset the fans will get.
I'm lucky I have all 190, although the quality varies on the more rare ones. They SHOULD have released a complete collection set with all 190, the features, and the whole she-bang. I know if Warner owned the Stooges property they'd get the treatment they deserve.

I'm glad we're getting them in chronological order, don't get me wrong. I just think a "complete collection" would be more profitable on Sony's end. I mean throwing the Shemps and Joes at Curly enthusiasts is an easy way to make everybody happy. Blah the whole thing is sickening.

xraffle

I'll find some average/good VHS taped versions and transfer them to DVD before I wait 11 years! 

Don't waste your time. That's exactly what I did. I regret doing that because it took a lot of time and money and all of that will go down the drain once all 12 sets are out.

Offline bbug

Don't waste your time. That's exactly what I did. I regret doing that because it took a lot of time and money and all of that will go down the drain once all 12 sets are out.

I would agree with XRaffle.  When I tried to set up a high-end digital videography station several years back, it took a lot of time and didn't provide particularly rewarding results.  I went to the extent of purchasing an old high-rez, low-noise, studio quality VHS playback system (real cheap even 4 years ago) and constructed the most high-performance media workstation from components that could be purchased 4 years ago.  Despite having wonderful hardware, the software available for under $1000 (much of it free, actually) was just not up to the job.  It took a lot of fiddling with video ADC/multimedia drivers even to get a reasonably clear, moderately well synchronized transfer.  The synchronized part comes in, because to get optimal digitization on the video and audio - at least at that time - they had to be digitized separately, modified with a variety of filters to optimize the signal, then recombined.  All-in-all - it was much more work than it was worth, especially since when starting with a commercial VHS tape, the resolution is very low in comparison to an even moderately well preserved archival film positive.  My hope had been to get all the pieces working, then create an automation script so I could pop in a tape of 3 shorts and a blank DVD-R, then return an hour later with a finished DVD-R.  Given all the custom fiddling required depending on the quality of a given VHS short, there was no way to come close to this level of automation.

To close out the year, here are the current standings in the Amazon sales stats:
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #383 in DVD (See Bestsellers in DVD)

Popular in these categories: (What's this?)
#1 in     DVD > Comedy > Parody & Spoof > Three Stooges
#16 in     DVD > Comedy > Series & Sequels
#35 in     DVD > Comedy > Television

Clearly, its on its downhill side of its sales peak when compared to the stats from 3 weeks ago:
http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=2013.msg12862#msg12862

DVD Set 1 is holding its own in the "Three Stooges" and "Series & Sequels" categories (big surprise), but its standings in "Television" and the general listing are now roughly twice what they were 3 weeks ago.  Clearly, at this point, the new DVD Set release (coming at the earliest possible time - say early Feb) is unlikely to significantly effect the general sales figures for DVD Set 1.

Of course, the sales metrics most likely to influence the decision of when - and IF - the next sets are to come are the unit sales and net profit per unit.  These sales standings don't really tell us much about that.  If their margins are big (lots of profit/unit), then the profit making potential of the product is very long-lasting, even for relatively low but persistent unit sales (think Apple, Inc. computers).  If the margins are slim (likely given how low they've priced these sets), then the bulk of the profits are confined to those times when unit sales are high.  Given nearly all corporations now-a-days run off accumulated debt, getting profits sooner rather than later is very important (Apple's high cash-on-hand enables them to bail themselves out, when necessary to preserve profits).  Unless Sony has some special sales campaign in the works, it's likely DVD Set 1 has already completed most of its peak sales time.  This means the bulk of the 1st year profits to be had on this set will have been had within the next few weeks.  Acting before the interest in this first set has receded is more likely to ensure the next set will be able to reach a peak rapidly to help them more quickly recoup the cost of production.  It's also possible a new release will bring more attention to the series in general and help to provide a brief boost in sales of DVD Set 1 as well.

I don't know how Amazon's sales figures relate to brick-n-mortar DVD resellers like WalMart and Best Buys.  I assume Sony is getting a significant revenue stream via these venues.  It's hard to know how Internet sales patterns for something like this Stooge DVD Set relate to sales in these other outlets.  I'd guess the sales peaks tend to be less steep and a little more spread out, because most events tend to move more quickly on the net.

I say "IF" above, because all this is predicated on their earned profit on DVD Set 1 being sufficiently large to motivate continuing the series.  I certainly hope it has been, as I'll be really bummed out if Set 1 is the one and only issue of this new, beautifully re-mastered Stooge collection.

I most certainly could be wrong given I have no idea what internal issues inside Sony caused the the protracted delay in the actual release of DVD Set 1, but I'm assuming a significant portion consisted of the time it took either to finish off the licensing arrangements with the Stooge heirs and/or adjust internal production staffing to handle this "new" series.  Hopefully, those were one-time tasks, and a schedule was worked out to more expediently turn out the follow-on sets.  Perhaps they even assigned staff to continue the transfer, clean-up, and DVD mastering process, so the DVDs would be ready for release, once the marketing department determined what the optimal release schedule would be based on sales figures of set 1.  My guess from other pre-90's TV and film serials is they will likely release a new set every 4 - 6 months.  That would put us in a late Feb - late April 2008 release time for the next set.  Release announcements can precede the actual release date by a very broad time range, but the average is generally 1 - 2 months.  Even if the release turns out to be on the long end of the typical range (6 months), then its possible we'll not see the release of set 2 announced before March.

If we get to mid-February and still have not even heard RUMORS of when the next remastered DVD Set will be released, then its time to despair this series may not be a series at all.

If we can eventually expect 3 DVD sets/year, that will mean all 12 should be out before manufacturer's stop turning out DVD players, as locoboymakesgood points out.  It was 6 years between the introduction of the first home DVD players (very late 1996) and end of the reign of VHS as the primary pre-recorded format (mid-2003 - DVD rentals first outstrip VHS rentals - resellers stop selling pre-recorded VHS tapes).  Given how information technology trends continue to accelerate, it won't surprise me if that time drops to 3 - 4 years.  With the move to HD-DVD/BluRay having started in earnest last year, that means we have until about 2010.  This is likely to be accelerated by the over-the-top popularity of large, flat-screen, HD-capable TVs over the last year or so.  If Sony doesn't get a move on, they'll not be able to put out even half of the 12 DVD Sets before retail stores stop carrying pre-recorded DVDs.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
But...He said butting into the subject at hand.....You can be creative in your copying.  I used to take Stooge remakes featuring Shemp or Joe that had stock footage and created newer Full length Stooge shorts. My favorite was combining "A Plumbing We Will Go" with "Vagabond Loafers". Since many scenes were stock, I was able to Edit Both Curly And Shemp into Different spots that featured one or the other in their respective titles.   They were the best to do, Somehow doing a Shemp/Joe or Curly/Joe (the other one) didn't seem as good. 

What other TEAM STOOGES shorts would have made great compilations?  Only you our readers can answer that!

"I'm New Years Day"   -Shemp

ThumpTheShoes

But...He said butting into the subject at hand.....You can be creative in your copying.  I used to take Stooge remakes featuring Shemp or Joe that had stock footage and created newer Full length Stooge shorts. My favorite was combining "A Plumbing We Will Go" with "Vagabond Loafers". Since many scenes were stock, I was able to Edit Both Curly And Shemp into Different spots that featured one or the other in their respective titles.   They were the best to do, Somehow doing a Shemp/Joe or Curly/Joe (the other one) didn't seem as good. 

Jus' be careful! That's exactly how George Lucas got started!! And you know what kind of fever he's got, now!

[pie]

stooged and confused

Just like the rest of you, I'd love to have a concrete plan from Sony corp. Since that doesn't seem to be the case at this time, I'm keeping on my contact for information regarding volume 2. It's a pretty safe bet that all of the Curly titles will see the light of day. Beyond that is what I'm most concerned about.

My Sony contact said that she'd keep me posted on further developments. I know that she is far too busy to remember to do that, so I will keep on her without becoming a pest. As of yet, there is no word on volume 2 other than that Sony has it "on the table."

When the fever was high once volume 1 was released, I suggested that the fans on this site write letters to Sony expressing their appreciation and I would forward them to my contact. Only a few did so. If we want to see the series released in its entirety, Sony has to know their is financial merit from the buying public.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
S&C,

Does "on the table" mean that it is completed and ready to go through their shoddy marketing like vol. 1; or does it mean in production/development; or it is being discussed pending vol. 1 sales results?

I think I put my letter for Sony here for you, a few months ago.

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline locoboymakesgood

Yeah the marketing for Volume 1 sucked.. but they still have to be impressed with the sales figures. I mean it's still ranking quite high at Amazon; and definitely sold way more than any other title would just based on word of mouth.

It's a shame you still haven't heard anything, stooged. I'm not going to hold my breath for anything else right now.. just be happy with what we got.

xraffle

The problem was that many popular stores, like Best Buy and Circuit City, never carried Volume 1. Almost everyone I know buys their DVDs from there. If those stores would've carried the title, I'm sure sales would've been much higher.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
When the fever was high once volume 1 was released, I suggested that the fans on this site write letters to Sony expressing their appreciation and I would forward them to my contact. Only a few did so. If we want to see the series released in its entirety, Sony has to know their is financial merit from the buying public.

Our spending our hard-earned money on their product should have been more than enough information for Sony to understand that there is a market for the Stooge shorts, and all of the favorable reviews of the release should have confirmed it.  They've had very decent sales of this volume, in spite of vitrually non-existant marketing and apparently poor distribution.  If they still don't know that producing decent releases of the Three Stooges has financial merit, then I'd consider selling any stock I had in Sony.

Besides, many of us wrote to them for years, begging them to do the intelligent thing and put out a decent, chronological set.  I'm thrilled that they finally started to do so, but are we really going to have to harp on them for every single volume?

I appreciate you keeping up on your contact at Sony, S&C.  Thanks for all the good work!   ;D

stooged and confused

Jrvass:

I did get your email and it was forwarded to Sony.

"On the table" means they are discussing plans for the 2nd set but have yet to confirm a release date, packaging art etc...

stooged and confused

Right, Loco:

The maketing was weak on volume one. Let's hope they will put more muscle behind set 2 with the great sales from the 1st set with just heavy word of mouth. Of course, if they are happy with set 1 sales, they may not want to sink any bucks into marketing for the Curly sets at least.

stooged and confused

I agree, Xraffle:

I'm hoping that Sony will push the title to those mentioned outlets with sales being strong online. And if the set did well at the retail online outlets (like Best Buy), that may very well encourage them to stock volume 2 in store!

Offline locoboymakesgood

Right, Loco:

The maketing was weak on volume one. Let's hope they will put more muscle behind set 2 with the great sales from the 1st set with just heavy word of mouth. Of course, if they are happy with set 1 sales, they may not want to sink any bucks into marketing for the Curly sets at least.
Yeah I totally see where you're coming from. That's really pathetic on Sony's part, though. It wouldn't hurt to show a few commercials here and there to plug each Volume released, to let people who don't know about Volume 1 that there's already a fantastic release out there. They need to get on the fucking ball and start releasing these. There's nothing holding these up. It's not like the next batch of shorts aren't remastered already.