Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Where to submit updates/corrections to filmography entries?

bbug · 42 · 17805

Offline bbug

Hi All,

Is there a way to submit updates/corrections to filmography entries?

Having watched the new DVD set a few times, there are few tidbits related to cast members I've noticed.

Cheers,
bbug

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
How about posting them right here, in replies to this thread?  I've "stickied" the thread so it will stay at the top of the board, and I've subscribed to it as well, so I'll get a notice whenever someone posts a reply. 

I'll make a note in the posts whenever I verify a correction or update and make the changes to the database, and I'll encourage other Team Stooge members to do the same.   That way we can keep track of what's been updated.

Offline bbug

Great idea, Dunrobin.  Once again you demonstrate you are coiteny a venerable knucklehead!

I noticed two things about Grace Goodall in watching the new shorts:

a) 'Hoi Polloi' - she's listed as 'Mrs. Rich' instead of 'Mrs. Richmond', the wife of Professor Richmond
Fixed

b) 'Pop Goes the Easel' - She's not currently listed in the cast for this short.  Grace plays the last rich woman who rides up in search of a social secretary.
Added

The IMDB notes the following about Grace Goodall's performances, giving a sense of how ubiquitous she was amongst many comic royalty of hollywood:

1) 'Pardon My Stotch' and 'Hoi Polloi' (IMDB also incorrectly lists her as playing as 'Mrs. Rich')

2) Bit player in many popular pictures of the early 30's - such as early potboilers like 'What Price Hollywood? (one of George Cukor's earliest masterpieces) and 'Ladies of the Big House' as well as many screwball comedies in the mid 1930s, such as the Carole Lombard/Fred MacMurray/John Barrymore screwball comedy 'True Confession' (1937 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029695/), and the all-star, all-women classic drawing room comedy, 'The Women' (1939 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032143/). She was also in the later Garbo vehicle, 'Conquest' (1937 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028739/).

3) Laurel & Hardy
'Thicker Than Water' (1935 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027089/)
This is L&H's last short.  A bit lackluster, but still with a nice performance by Jimmy Finlayson - and a wonderful round-robin patter whereby the Hardy's tenant, Mr. Laurel, explains why he had not given furniture store owner, Finlayson, the payment for the furniture he has now showed up to re-possess, because he'd turned around and used the money to pay Mr. Hardy that month's rent.

4) Charley Chase
'The Four Star Boarder' (1935 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026379/), 'Okay Toots!' (1935 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026806/), 'Ankles Away' (1938 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144765/)
Two late Charley Chase shorts right at the time when Chase was coming over to produce and direct Stooges shorts.  'Okay Toots!' also includes Hal Roach player Charlie Hall and academy award winner Hattie McDaniel, who - I'd not realized - is described at IMDB as the first African American woman to have sung on radio (1915).  Apparently she began her career as a band singer.  In 'Ankles Away', Grace Goodall co-stared with a virtual who's who of Stooge bit players such as Gino Corrado, Symona Boniface, Vernon Dent, Bess Flowers, as well as venerable comic character actor John T. Murray.

5) Andy Clyde
'I'm a Father' (1935 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162385/)
An Andy Clyde short that includes Geneva Mitchell (http://threestooges.net/index.php?main=/forums/index.php), 'Queenie' from 'Restless Knights' and the dance instructor from 'Hoi Polloi', as well as the venerable Queen of the Bit Players, Bess Flowers and the other venerable bit player, Mary Gordon

6) Thelma Todd/Patsy Kelly
'Top Flat' (1935 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027124/) - The second to last Thelma Todd/Patsy Kelly short before Thelma Todd was murdered.
'Pan Handlers' (1936 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028081/)

7) W.C. Fields
'Poppy' (1936 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028120/)
'You Can't Cheat an Honest Man' (1939 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032152/)

8) Will Rogers
She had bit roles in several of Will Rogers most well known films - e.g., 'Handy Andy', 'Judge Priest', 'Steamboat Around the Bend' (Rogers 2nd to last before his fatal plane crash in Alaska)

9) Charles Ruggles and Mary Boland
'Wives Never Know' (1936 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028514/)

10) Bert Lahr
'Merry Go Round of 1938' (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029234/)

11) Joe E. Brown and Martha Raye
'$1000 a Touchdown' (1939 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031011/)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 11:45:28 AM by Dunrobin »

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I've made the two correction's to Grace Goodall's cast credits.  Thanks for the heads up, bbug!   ;D

The addition info about Grace's career was very interesting.  Thanks for including it.

Offline bbug

Just noticed the following cast members are missing from 'The Yoke's On Me'"

Al Thompson - Sheriff checking cars   Added
Victor Travers - assisting Sheriff checking cars  Added
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 01:01:28 AM by Dunrobin »

Offline JustSayMoe

I have a couple of additions to the Recurring Three Stooges Routines.  First, there is another "Hitler-Like Dictator" bit in THEY STOOGE TO CONGA (after Moe replaces the full-length portrait of Hitler to fool the German and Japanese spies).  Second, another Flypaper Stuck On the Face occurs in HOOFS AND GOOFS (to Bennie Rubin).

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

Offline Rich Finegan

"This Date In Stooges History" correction needed:

Marjorie White died on August 21, 1935, not on May 23, 1935.

As of right now it says:
On This Date in Stooge History...

1875-05-23: Actor Max Davidson was born
1900-05-23: Actor Ralph Dunn was born
1935-05-23: Actress Marjorie White died
1941-05-23: TOO MANY BLONDES (with Shemp Howard) was released

Offline Rich Finegan

Correction needed:
In the info section on Stooges films cast members the entries for the three members of the singing group The Three Ambassadors (Martin Sperzel, Jack Smith and At Teeter) it is stated that they were singers with Gus Arnheim's Orchestra at the Coconut Gove. I'm not sure what a "Gove" is...I'm pretty sure the intended word is Grove. The misspelling appears in the entries for all three names.
Also although it's a word for which both spellings may be acceptable I have many records and other material on Gus Arnheim and the other bands and performers at The Cocoanut Grove, and I have always seen the place's name spelled Cocoanut, not Coconut Grove. So that should also be corrected, I'd say.

Offline FineBari3

Correction needed:
In the info section on Stooges films cast members the entries for the three members of the singing group The Three Ambassadors (Martin Sperzel, Jack Smith and At Teeter) it is stated that they were singers with Gus Arnheim's Orchestra at the Coconut Gove. I'm not sure what a "Gove" is...I'm pretty sure the intended word is Grove. The misspelling appears in the entries for all three names.
Also although it's a word for which both spellings may be acceptable I have many records and other material on Gus Arnheim and the other bands and performers at The Cocoanut Grove, and I have always seen the place's name spelled Cocoanut, not Coconut Grove. So that should also be corrected, I'd say.

You should be able to change pretty much anything here, Rich.  I would send Rob a message.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Rich Finegan

You should be able to change pretty much anything here, Rich...
I actually haven't tried in a while. And I do have a long list of needed corrections and additions.
After trying a while ago to fix some stuff but without having been told how, then being told that apparently I was doing it wrong then some time later trying to get back on to fix something but being unable I just haven't felt like going through the hassle.

And by the way, I see now that Grove and Cocoanut are fixed now. Thanks somebody. We do want this site to look perfect and misspellings like those should not slip through.

xraffle

We do want this site to look perfect and misspellings like those should not slip through.

That's right. So, make sure you don't make spelling errors like this: GARAJ. Make sure there's an E at the end of it.  ;D

Offline MR77100

GOOF for AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE:
Cut in Film
There is a cut in the film right before Moe grabs the belching oven.

TRIVIA for THREE LOAN WOLVES:
The final episode to feature the "swing" rendition of the THREE BLIND MICE theme in the introduction.

TRIVIA for HOT SCOTS:
The final short to feature Ted Lorch, who would pass away before it was released.

WooWoo

HI THERE.

JUST STARTING THIS FORUM TODAY, AND FOUND THE THREAD THAT IS IMPORTANT TO ME.  AND THAT IS WHERE TO SUBMIT TRIVIA, LOCATIONS, INFO. ETC. MY PASSION IS FIGURING OUT  LOCATIONS OF SHORTS. LIKE THE THEATER AT THE BEGINNING OF "POP GOES THE EASEL" IS, (WAS) THE LARCHMONT. PLAYING ON THE DAY OF FILMING WAS "THE PAINTED VEIL" . TODAY, IT'S A BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO. ATTACHED TO THE NORTH END OF BLOCKBUSTER IS A SHARP PITCHED ROOF BUILDING (US BANK) WHICH WAS IN THE SHORT.  YOU CAN SEE IT BEHIND THE SHOULDER OF THE GUY (WILLIAM IRVING) THAT CURLY IS PANHANDLING (HIS KID'S  EATING ICE CREAM?)  I'LL STOP FOR NOW IN CASE I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG.  [pie]

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
MY PASSION IS FIGURING OUT  LOCATIONS OF SHORTS. LIKE THE THEATER AT THE BEGINNING OF "POP GOES THE EASEL" IS, (WAS) THE LARCHMONT. PLAYING ON THE DAY OF FILMING WAS "THE PAINTED VEIL" . TODAY, IT'S A BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO. ATTACHED TO THE NORTH END OF BLOCKBUSTER IS A SHARP PITCHED ROOF BUILDING (US BANK) WHICH WAS IN THE SHORT.  YOU CAN SEE IT BEHIND THE SHOULDER OF THE GUY (WILLIAM IRVING) THAT CURLY IS PANHANDLING (HIS KID'S  EATING ICE CREAM?) 

The identification of those locations, and scores more over the past 12 years, have been featured in a regular series of articles in The Three Stooges Journal.

Locations revealed in past issues are noted in each film's respective page, in this site's main Filmography at ThreeStooges.net.

Those articles by Jim Pauley are the basis of a new book due on October 1, 2012.  The book will also contain new locations that have yet to be reported in the Journal.

Offline FineBari3

HI THERE.
 I'LL STOP FOR NOW IN CASE I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG.  [pie]

Hello!  Thanks for the nice information on the locations.  Jim Pauley's series in the Three Stooges Journal is fantastic, and it has been my favorite part of it since he started!  I can't wait to see his book!

I just wanted to let you know, in the computer world, when one leaves the CAPS LOCK key on, it is taken as 'YELLING' (and also difficult to read).   [glasses9]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

WooWoo

Hi. OK, I'll try to remember the caps thing. I've been typing with caps on  for years (and years  :laugh:) but for this forum I'll abide by the "computer world" . It's funny, I've never considered it to be yelling, or flaming, but about 7 years ago my brother said the same thing to me.  It has always been easier to type without using the shift key so much (but right now I'm doing OK)

On those journals, I did order one 3 days ago, I wished I could get them all just for the location part alone. I'm sure everybody knows already, but the theater that's in the background in "Hoi Polloi" is also the Larchmont. There's another short that shows a theater, Alvin Theatre, (it's spelled 'tre') where on the marquee it reads "Counterfeit" and "The Final Hour".    :-\   It's the one where Curly takes a ride from one side of the street to the other in a "midget" car. I'll have that answer today, unless somebody knows? Aha!! I have the answer now!!! It's "Dizzy Doctors" yep @ 7min 30 seconds in.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I'm sure everybody knows already, but the theater that's in the background in "Hoi Polloi" is also the Larchmont.

Detailed in The Three Stooges Journal # 101 (Spring 2002)HOI POLLOI (1935) will be discussed thoroughly in Jim's book.

There's another short that shows a theater, Alvin Theatre, (it's spelled 'tre') where on the marquee it reads "Counterfeit" and "The Final Hour".    It's the one where Curly takes a ride from one side of the street to the other in a "midget" car. I'll have that answer today, unless somebody knows? Aha!! I have the answer now!!! It's "Dizzy Doctors" yep @ 7min 30 seconds in.

Not a real Los Angeles location.  All of the DIZZY DOCTOR (1937) "downtown" scenes were done on the Columbia Ranch backlot in Burbank.  The Ranch will also be explored extensively in the book.

WooWoo

Thank you for that info, especially about the 'Alvin Theatre'.  What caught me off guard was the listing of those two movies, I checked them out on the IMDB and the timing was correct, release dates, cast members, etc. Those streets are also too perfect in every respect, no oil or staining of any kind, tire marks, general 'patina' at all. I wish I could buy all of the journals (I did order one) but I can't for now, maybe when I win the lotto!!! HA  [woot]

Offline jadler

In the short, "Grips, Grunts and Groans" there is an error in the name of the person who played Kid Pinky.  It says this is "Herb Stagman".  Actually, my Great Uncle played the referee and his name is Herb Stegman (with and "e" not an "a").  I don't know who played Kid Pinky but it was not Herb Stegman. 

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
In the short, "Grips, Grunts and Groans" there is an error in the name of the person who played Kid Pinky.  It says this is "Herb Stagman".  Actually, my Great Uncle played the referee and his name is Herb Stegman (with and "e" not an "a").  I don't know who played Kid Pinky but it was not Herb Stegman.

Yes, we are aware of it.  The error was identified a year ago, but ThreeStooges.net's editing features were disabled at that time, and for the past year we've been unable to update the website.

In fact, Frank Reighter has just completed a mini-bio on your uncle Herb.  I believe Frank's been in touch with someone in your family, collecting some background info.

-  Tony Chavex, a pro featherweight boxer, played 'Kid Pinky'
 -  Herb Stegman was the wrestling referee

The wrestler, 'Ironhead', is currently unidentified.  Based on the casting of Chavex and Stegman, I'm inclined to think he was also a pro celebrity in the southern California area.  If there're any wrestling historians who can put a name to the face, please speak up...

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
That almost looks like "The Golden Greek" Jim Londos, but I don't think that's him. I can try to see what I can unearth.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline falsealarms

I passed this photo along to Frank last week - for what it's worth, the description lists Tony Chavex.

http://www.glowimages.com/imagedetails/41608991/image_of_MBDGRGR_EC001_H.GRIPS%20GRUNTS%20AND%20GROANS%20Moe%20Howard%20Tony%20Chavex%20Curly%20Howard%20Larry%20Fine%20The%20Three%20Stooges%20%201937.html

And if you enlarge it, and look over Moe's shoulder, you can see a man sitting in the crowd that looks a lot like Sol Horwitz.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
HI THERE.

JUST STARTING THIS FORUM TODAY, AND FOUND THE THREAD THAT IS IMPORTANT TO ME.  AND THAT IS WHERE TO SUBMIT TRIVIA, LOCATIONS, INFO. ETC. MY PASSION IS FIGURING OUT  LOCATIONS OF SHORTS. LIKE THE THEATER AT THE BEGINNING OF "POP GOES THE EASEL" IS, (WAS) THE LARCHMONT. PLAYING ON THE DAY OF FILMING WAS "THE PAINTED VEIL" . TODAY, IT'S A BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO. ATTACHED TO THE NORTH END OF BLOCKBUSTER IS A SHARP PITCHED ROOF BUILDING (US BANK) WHICH WAS IN THE SHORT.  YOU CAN SEE IT BEHIND THE SHOULDER OF THE GUY (WILLIAM IRVING) THAT CURLY IS PANHANDLING (HIS KID'S  EATING ICE CREAM?)  I'LL STOP FOR NOW IN CASE I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG.  [pie]

Please don't type in all caps.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... for what it's worth, the description lists Tony Chavex.

The photo description is wrong, and most likely is the result of info taken from past filmographies which incorrectly listed Chavex as the wrestler (e.g., The Three Stooges Scrapbook). 

Tony Chavex was a professional featherweight boxer and played 'Kid Pinky' in GG&G.

you can see a man sitting in the crowd that looks a lot like Sol Horwitz.

Yes, the Stoogeum's archival staff found that Sol appearance last year.  It's one of hundreds of cast & crew additions/updates/corrections that have been sitting in limbo for the past year.

fyi -  Sol's row is not lit in the actual film, and although he is probably one of the shadowy figures you can see moving, he cannot be ID'ed.  He only appears via that publicity still.