Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Politically Correct Stooge Shorts

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
One of the things  going on these days is the PCing of classic funny scenes from Stooge films. The ones that come to mind often are the hilarious Dudley Dickerson scenes from "Hold That Lion" (help, help Im losin mah mind help) And "A Plumbing We Will Go" where he keeps falling on his butt from the water coming out of the stove (Sorry folks, dinners postponed on account of rain).  I'm not unfeeling of peoples feelings, but we all laughed at these scenes as kids and it didn't make us make fun of anyone because of it. Dudley was a fantastic actor and played his scenes wonderfully in the Curly And Shemp shorts and was one of my favorite cast members in the Stooge Entourage.

Also, another thing I noticed in the TV DVD sets of classic sitcoms of the 60's and 70's is that  they cut scenes so they are not complete. (What gives with that?) The whole idea of buying a Season Set is to get great quality video with the full shows. Also, music sometimes gets changed because the studios are too cheap to get the rights to it. Maybe in another 50 years we will be able to sit around on our rocking chairs at laugh at our "Complete Stooge Collections" and laugh at our Legendary comedians,

Hey, save some for me, I wanna smell good,  Don't worry you smell....GOOD!

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
I agree totally. Uncivil warriors where the "baby" was found walking by the railroad tracks getting a "suntan". Hilarious!

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Curley91

I agree 100% as well. 

True stooge fans and enthusiasts should be able to enjoy the films intact.  These bewildered performances are hilarious, and add a ton of laughs to the shorts.
Also, on one "Stooge-A-Palooza" episode, Rich Koz mentioned that he received a letter from a viewer who was offended by this type of 'politically incorrect' conent, and his constantly pointing it out.  He reminded us that we must keep in mind the time period in which the shorts were made. 

Offline kinderscenen

Sigh....not only could Dickerson's scenes be deemed un-pc, but what about the Stooges themselves, with their Yiddish jokes?  Sure, it's not as "bad" as the sunburnt baby, but I'm sure someone could get offended by that.  What surprised me was as late as 2000 "The Yoke's On Me" was shown on TV in St. Louis--I think this was before the "new" format with the trivia questions.  Not that it offended me--if you knew anything about WWII, then you knew what was going on--but it seems that SOMEONE out there would've been offended.  Maybe they were, since I haven't seen it in almost 10 years.

I'm sorry, but Dudley Dickerson, Sam McDaniel, etc. didn't seem as if they were being made fun of by being the "scary" black comic relief--if anything, usually the Stooges outran THEM!  Besides, if we were all politically correct, then what would we laugh at?  :D

What I wouldn't give to see Tom & Jerry, Droopy, and other MGM and Warner Bros. cartoons as I saw them in the late 70s, early 80s, with all the racist stereotyping intact.  No, kids won't fall apart when they see Tom burnt to a crisp complete with huge red lips and "Buckwheat" braids, but I'm pretty sure they'll laugh.  Hell, I laughed and I didn't turn out to be a card-carrying Nazi/Klanswoman.  Show them as they are for a learning experience to show how things were back then, and laugh at them because of how silly they were.  Don't ignore history.
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
A karma point for you! Well said.

James

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
And as I consider this topic more... I think that an important lesson is lost. That which is by forgetting the past we are doomed to repeat it.

Consider this... We have the black comedians, and the totally un-PC Amos & Andy (White guys on the radio... but hey... turn in a lb. of fat and get 4 cents and 2 red stamps at your butcher!)

Compare that to Germany of the same era. Depicting Jews as rodents. Watch "Schindler's List"

I'm afraid that radical Islamists wish the same fate on all of us. Jews and gentiles.

James

Offline archiezappa

You know, if we wanted to be *totally* politically correct, then we wouldn't want anything that makes fun of whites, either.  What if whites get offended?  To end it, they would have to quit making comedies.  Sounds silly, huh?  Well, nowadays, nobody seems to know what comedy is.  They get mad if a Bugs Bunny cartoon has violence.  They get mad at the Three Stooges because Dudley Dickerson gets soaked by water coming out of a light bulb.  What I say is this:  if it offends you, don't watch it.  Just don't ruin it for those of us who want to watch it.  Sure, television edits the stuff.  But I don't really watch television much anymore.  I mostly watch DVD's.  So, I'll be happy with all of the Stooges shorts on DVD uncut.   [pie]