Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What do you plan to do with your Old Stooges Collection?

Guest · 38 · 7617

Poll

For those of you planning to buy the new Sony DVD sets, what do you plan to do with your old VHS copies and older DVD releases?

Keep them.
Sell them.
Keep some and sell some.
Throw them out.
Give them to a friend or relative.
Donate them.
I don't have any of the older VHS or DVD releases. This is my first time collecting them.

xraffle

For those of you planning to buy the new Sony DVD sets, what do you plan to do with your old VHS copies and older DVD releases?

With my old Sony VHS and DVDs, I plan to sell as much of them as possible. However, with the bootleg DVDs I bought and the DVDs I made myself, I'm stuck with them. I don't want to end up in the slammers by selling those.

ThumpTheShoes

I'll hang on to mine, at least for a while. The tapes won't sell for enough to bother with and the dvd-r's I'll just keep. I've given away some of the dvd's, some on this board, even. But, really, I don't know if I could part with some of the tapes or even the goofy CED discs (even though the old player doesn't work).

-Th

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Most of mine have the TBS or AMC 'bug' in the corner. They are worth their weight in plastic.

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Curley91

I am planning to hang on to mine. 

Most of them are taped DIRECTLY off "Stooge-A-Palooza" onto DVD.  They are in excellent quality.  They don't even have a corner bug!  I even have a new copy of "Space Ship Sappy" that is in, what I would call, near-perfect quality!!

Even if Columbia does release all 190 shorts in pristine condition, I will still enjoy watching the stooges the way I did in the "old days!"   :D

Offline 3Stooges

I also have many from STOOGE A PALOZZA. I'm hanging onto mine. I love Rich's trivia and commentary.

Offline JazzBill

I'm hanging on to mine because it took a lot of time and effort to get them all on tape. I got them all off of AMC and WCIU in Chicago. I even have a couple from AMC that have Anna Nicole Smith in them.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
I'm hanging on to mine because it took a lot of time and effort to get them all on tape. I got them all off of AMC and WCIU in Chicago. I even have a couple from AMC that have Anna Nicole Smith in them.

With clothes or without?  :D

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

xraffle

With clothes or without?  :D

James

[rotfl] Ahahaha!! Good one!!

After reading people's responses, I might keep my old copies. I looked on Ebay and the old VHS copies aren't worth anything anymore. They used to sell for a lot, but not anymore. I guess a lot of people must have heard about these new DVD sets and they are waiting to buy those instead.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Well, I obviously can't sell tapes of shorts and films I taped off TV.  That said, I plan to try to sell the DVDs.  In San Antonio we have a chain of store named CD Exchange which specializes in used CDs and DVDs.  I'll try there first.  I will hold on to any DVDs with shorts not yet covered by the new collection series.  I would sell the Curly Classics DVD right away, but it does contain both A-Plumbing We Will Go and Micro-Phonies.  If CD Exchange doesn't offer me much, I may consider donating them to the local library.  I know I could try selling through Ebay or Amazon, but is that really worth the time, money and effort it would require? :-\
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline locoboymakesgood

I have ALL of the Sony DVDs except for the last two colorized discs.. $100s worth. I wouldn't get a decent return, and I really don't sell my Stooges stuff so I'll be hanging on to mine.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Hammond Eggar

I have ALL of the Sony DVDs except for the last two colorized discs.. $100s worth. I wouldn't get a decent return, and I really don't sell my Stooges stuff so I'll be hanging on to mine.

I certainly understand the position this puts many of us Stooges fans in.  I own several of the earlier DVD releases, and greatly wish that Sony and/or Columbia had done the right thing in the beginning.  I can't wait to obtain a copy of the new DVD collection with the shorts in chronological order.  I agree that none of us would be able to make back all the money we've spent on our Stooges DVDs thus far, if we decide to sell once the new set is released.  That said, I simply don't have enough storage space to justify keeping old DVDs, especially if the new set(s) contains all of the same shorts, which will happen if Sony continues with this series.  I'm also hoping that, when the time comes, selling some of these DVDs might help me make enough money to pay for other DVDs that I actually do want in my collection. [pie]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

xraffle

I own several of the earlier DVD releases, and greatly wish that Sony and/or Columbia had done the right thing in the beginning.  I can't wait to obtain a copy of the new DVD collection with the shorts in chronological order.  I agree that none of us would be able to make back all the money we've spent on our Stooges DVDs thus far, if we decide to sell once the new set is released.  That said, I simply don't have enough storage space to justify keeping old DVDs, especially if the new set(s) contains all of the same shorts, which will happen if Sony continues with this series.  I'm also hoping that, when the time comes, selling some of these DVDs might help me make enough money to pay for other DVDs that I actually do wnat in my collection. [pie]

Same here. I have several of the old DVDs and also spent most of my valuable time converting the rest of the shorts to DVD. As far as storage space is concerned, it's a problem for a lot of us, which is why I plan to buy these new sets. Replacing my old DVDs with these new sets will surely save A LOT of shelf space. But the question is: what shall I do with these old DVDs? I may have no choice but to dump them in the trash, unfortunately. But that will be after all 12 sets are released.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Same here. I have several of the old DVDs and also spent most of my valuable time converting the rest of the shorts to DVD. As far as storage space is concerned, it's a problem for a lot of us, which is why I plan to buy these new sets. Replacing my old DVDs with these new sets will surely save A LOT of shelf space. But the question is: what shall I do with these old DVDs? I may have no choice but to dump them in the trash, unfortunately. But that will be after all 12 sets are released.

I can't believe that dumping the DVDs in the trash is even an option.  At the least, donate them to your local library.  I'd like to think that somebody somewhere would be getting some enjoyment out of them.  Are there any used CD/DVD stores in your area?  That would be a reasonable option, as well.  [pie]

xraffle

I can't believe that dumping the DVDs in the trash is even an option.  At the least, donate them to your local library.  I'd like to think that somebody somewhere would be getting some enjoyment out of them.  Are there any used CD/DVD stores in your area?  That would be a reasonable option, as well.  [pie]

It brings tears to my eyes when I say, yes it is an option, unfortunately. For several reasons:

1) Most of the DVDs, I converted myself. Most taken from my older VHS videos and some taken from the bootleg sets. Distributing copyrighted material that's been duplicated is illegal and if caught, I can go to prison.

2) The previous Sony DVDs have absolutely no value anymore. When I put a set of 3 DVDs up on Ebay, start the bid at $0.99, and nobody bids, I can safely say that nobody out there wants it.

3) There are no CD/DVD used stores in my area.

4) My local library does not accept any VHS tapes. They don't accept any DVDs or books that came out over 2 years ago. I find that so absurd, but what can I do!

So, you see, I'm in a spot. Nobody really wants them, which I find strange. I'm starting to get the feeling that the Stooges are not popular anymore.

Offline locoboymakesgood

It brings tears to my eyes when I say, yes it is an option, unfortunately. For several reasons:

1) Most of the DVDs, I converted myself. Most taken from my older VHS videos and some taken from the bootleg sets. Distributing copyrighted material that's been duplicated is illegal and if caught, I can go to prison.

2) The previous Sony DVDs have absolutely no value anymore. When I put a set of 3 DVDs up on Ebay, start the bid at $0.99, and nobody bids, I can safely say that nobody out there wants it.

3) There are no CD/DVD used stores in my area.

4) My local library does not accept any VHS tapes. They don't accept any DVDs or books that came out over 2 years ago. I find that so absurd, but what can I do!

So, you see, I'm in a spot. Nobody really wants them, which I find strange. I'm starting to get the feeling that the Stooges are not popular anymore.

Send them all to me. I'll take good care of them. :)

xraffle

Send them all to me. I'll take good care of them. :)

"But that will be after all 12 sets are released." -taken from one of my previous posts.

In 2 years, once all 12 sets are released, I'll be glad to give them to you. However, shipping all of my old Stooge stuff is going to be quite heavy and will charge quite a bit for shipping. But, we'll discuss about that in 2 years, if you're still interested by then.

Anyways, if Sony stops releasing these sets due to poor sales, I won't have worry about my old sets because I'll be keeping them. Sony hasn't guaranteed that all 12 sets will even be released.

ThumpTheShoes

1) Distributing copyrighted material that's been duplicated is illegal and if caught, I can go to prison.

Ah, hell! Now I gotta delete all my stuff from the Stooge Swap area!

;D   Wonk, wonk, wonk!

-Th

Offline locoboymakesgood

"But that will be after all 12 sets are released." -taken from one of my previous posts.

In 2 years, once all 12 sets are released, I'll be glad to give them to you. However, shipping all of my old Stooge stuff is going to be quite heavy and will charge quite a bit for shipping. But, we'll discuss about that in 2 years, if you're still interested by then.

Anyways, if Sony stops releasing these sets due to poor sales, I won't have worry about my old sets because I'll be keeping them. Sony hasn't guaranteed that all 12 sets will even be released
Yeah, I know. I was just kidding.. I have my own collection which takes up enough space to worry about. ;D

Offline falsealarms

I'll keep them for now. Already got rid of worn, old VHS tapes long ago, but I began buying the DVDs in the past 1-3 yrs b/c I gave up hope on them getting done right. I probably have 8-10 of the DVDs. I'll likely buy the new set(s) ... which are a much, much better value. I still don't have 10 of the 19 shorts on the first volume, and for 16-20 bucks, that's a good deal.

Offline archiezappa

I'm gonna give my video tapes to my kids.  They each have a VCR in their bedrooms.  (Incidentally, they're ages 7 and 4.)  They love the Stooges.  I never bought the Columbia DVD's.  I thought they were too expensive.  I did buy one of the bootleg sets and I was very disappointed.  The quality is awful.  You get all 190, but the quality was a big turn-off.  I'm glad Sony is releasing the new sets.  I hope they do all 190.

Offline busybuddy

I'm going to keep my Stooge tapes because the shelf they are on in in the middle of my Stooge room and I took the time to color-coordinate them. Plus I have the 5 tapes from Goodtimes that have non-public domain Shemp shorts like Cuckoo on a Choo-choo, Love at First Bite, Three Hams on Rye, Spooks, etc. I'm keeping my colorized DVDs but I don't know about the others. Since I already bought them I guess I'll keep them around just because they look good when I want to show off.
I think Birdie will go for that!

xraffle

I'm keeping my colorized DVDs but I don't know about the others.

Yeah, I'll keep the colorized DVDs. It's the B&W DVDs that I'll ditch when I get the new sets.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Anyways, if Sony stops releasing these sets due to poor sales, I won't have worry about my old sets because I'll be keeping them. Sony hasn't guaranteed that all 12 sets will even be released.

If Sony is gauging the future of this series of DVDs on how well the first set sells, then we should be alright.  None of the sets would sell nearly as well as the Curlys.  So, do we really have any reason to worry? ;)

Offline Larry Larry

If Sony is gauging the future of this series of DVDs on how well the first set sells, then we should be alright.  None of the sets would sell nearly as well as the Curlys.  So, do we really have any reason to worry? ;)

I can't imagine why they wouldn't release all these sets.  They are affordable & a great value.  Stooge fans have been clamoring for boxed sets for years.

Apparently, they must have sold millions of the other single-disc Columbia DVDs because they kept releasing one after the other, after the other, after the other.  Even though they were over-priced and under-valued.  And people hated them. 

If for some reason they stop the boxed sets half-way through & claim they aren't selling well, they will be lying. 

They released more than 20 of the over-priced single DVDs without even blinking.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline Bangsmith

• Citizen of Greater Stoogedom
  • Chucklehead

With my old Sony VHS and DVDs, I plan to sell as much of them as possible. However, with the bootleg DVDs I bought and the DVDs I made myself, I'm stuck with them. I don't want to end up in the slammers by selling those.
I've already sold all the old Sony DVDs except the movies and the Chromachoice ones. I had 'em all! I have most of the old VHSs, but selling those is a little more difficult, so I'll probably give them away slowly. "Have Rocket, Will Travel" I will keep since there's no DVD release of that one. I also have a bootleg set of all 190 which will keep me satisfied until all these box sets come out, and it will be awhile before they all do. I will most likely keep the bootlegs to play regularly to save wear and tear on the official box sets. 2007 seems to be a very good year for old theatrical shorts in general, with Popeye, Woody Woodpecker, Droopy and further volumes of Tom & Jerry, and Looney Tunes being released for reasonable prices. I guess Sony decided to follow Warner's lead if they want to continue selling Stooges DVDs!!
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do "suck seed"!!