Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Get your Stooge DVD/Blu Ray reviews here!

xraffle

That sounds like the most plausible option; after all, why wouldn't those fans who are going to go as far as to get every short including the Bessers not want the Derita features?

What makes that a good idea too is that Sony never released "Have Rocket Will Travel" but has released the others. Since there are some people who bought the other four previously released DeRita features on DVD, nobody has to double-dip on those. Assuming it will only contain the last 4 movies, then the last volume will just be optional for some people.

AmalgamatedMoron

What makes that a good idea too is that Sony never released "Have Rocket Will Travel" but has released the others. Since there are some people who bought the other four previously released DeRita features on DVD, nobody has to double-dip on those. Assuming it will only contain the last 4 movies, then the last volume will just be optional for some people.

Bingo x.  I own the "other 4" DeRita features previously released on DVD.  But Sony has yet to release HRWT on DVD, though they released it years ago on VHS, and though they have released the other 4 films to DVD.  I'm still not sure why they put the other 4 out, but not HRWT.  When I emailed Mike Schlesinger at Sony, I mentioned that--I believe it was Hammond Eggar--someone posted the email they received from Mike here on the forum.  In it he mentions a "box set" of the movies may be done after the shorts are finished.  I asked if HRWT could be made available separately for those who have already purchased the other 4.  He said it was a little early to give an answer, but he would look into it.  It's great having an individual on the inside, who is willing to converse with us fans over these issues.

xraffle

Bingo x.  I own the "other 4" DeRita features previously released on DVD.  But Sony has yet to release HRWT on DVD, though they released it years ago on VHS, and though they have released the other 4 films to DVD.  I'm still not sure why they put the other 4 out, but not HRWT.  When I emailed Mike Schlesinger at Sony, I mentioned that--I believe it was Hammond Eggar--someone posted the email they received from Mike here on the forum.  In it he mentions a "box set" of the movies may be done after the shorts are finished.  I asked if HRWT could be made available separately for those who have already purchased the other 4.  He said it was a little early to give an answer, but he would look into it.  It's great having an individual on the inside, who is willing to converse with us fans over these issues.

While some people may find the DeRita films nauseating, I actually thought "Have Rocket, Will Travel" wasn't bad. There were some funny parts of the movie. The one DeRita movie I can't stand is "Three Stooges Meet Hercules." Some people actually liked that one, but I thought it was awful. But the others are watchable. At least to me, they are. ;D

Offline Myren

While some people may find the DeRita films nauseating, I actually thought "Have Rocket, Will Travel" wasn't bad. There were some funny parts of the movie. The one DeRita movie I can't stand is "Three Stooges Meet Hercules." Some people actually liked that one, but I thought it was awful. But the others are watchable. At least to me, they are. ;D

I do not mind the DeRita films. And even owning the movies on DVD, if it was $19.99 for the set I would not mind picking them all up (again). But I would also have to say "Three Stooges Meet Hercules" is way better then "Snow White and The Three Stooges." What a TechniColor Terror!

Offline archiezappa

I do not mind the DeRita films. And even owning the movies on DVD, if it was $19.99 for the set I would not mind picking them all up (again). But I would also have to say "Three Stooges Meet Hercules" is way better then "Snow White and The Three Stooges." What a TechniColor Terror!
I agree.  "Hercules" is better suited to the Stooges comedy style.  As for "Snow White," it depends on the audience.  My kids love it.  It's the Stooges, it's in color and it has a fairy tale story to it.  It works on that level.

Offline falsealarms

Updated to include a review of the volume 5 Charlie Chan set which includes Murder in New York ... which includes Shemp in a small role.

xraffle

DVD Town has a review of Volume 4: http://www.dvdtown.com/reviews/three-stooges-collection-the-volume-four-1943-45/6308

I hate to be critical, but it isn't that great of a great review. The video and audio review are the exact same as the previous reviews. It would've been nice if he would've said something exclusive to this volume, like how "Micro-Phonies" looked.

Offline falsealarms

DVD Town has a review of Volume 4: http://www.dvdtown.com/reviews/three-stooges-collection-the-volume-four-1943-45/6308

I hate to be critical, but it isn't that great of a great review. The video and audio review are the exact same as the previous reviews. It would've been nice if he would've said something exclusive to this volume, like how "Micro-Phonies" looked.

Wow, that's early. I wouldn't have been looking for vol 4 reviews for at least another week.

xraffle

Wow, that's early. I wouldn't have been looking for vol 4 reviews for at least another week.

Yeah, I started looking early because I'm very anxious to see what people have to say about "Micro-Phonies." ;D

It's a shame that I have two midterms and a presentation to do for school before October 7th. So I have to worry about those first.

Offline falsealarms

Added HTF's Vol 4 review. Review takes a close look at the quality of IDIOTS DELUXE.

xraffle

Interesting. The guy is picking on S&C. This is what he said:

Quote from: Home Theater Forum
There has been some discussion about a review posted on another site which claims that “Idiots Deluxe” is “riddled with spots, debris, lines, scratches…” However, I would be interested to know that reviewer’s definition of “riddled.” While it is true that the transfer of “Idiots Deluxe” is not pristine, it still looks pretty good.

Quote from: Home Theater Forum
Again, there has been some discussion about claims that the audio for “Crash Goes the Hash” is sub-par. I have no idea what that reviewer is talking about. I listened to the audio for that short twice, and it sounds fine to me. I also compared it to the audio on the DVD Stooges at Work, and I could not discern any significant difference. Perhaps the reviewer had a defective disc? I invite readers to do your own comparisons and let me know if you hear problems which I am unable to detect.

I seriously doubt that a defective disc is the issue here. When a DVD is defective, it would skip, freeze, or not play at all. That's all. Maybe something was wrong with S&C's speakers or something. Or maybe the audio for that short had some minor flaw to it that he noticed just now on this new set. So, I guess maybe the quality on those two shorts aren't bad after all. I'll let everyone know on Tuesday when I get my copy. ;D

stooged and confused

Like everything in life, everyone has their own opinion on things. If you read my review and the one from HTF, you'll notice that many of the sentiments I wrote are reiterated by their reviewer. I stand by my review. I never said that "Idiots" was unwatchable, but compared to all other titles, this one stands out like a sore thumb quality wise. I feel that it is riddled with spots and blemishes throughout the short.

As for "Crash", I do feel the audio is not on par with the previous release of that short. It's not inaudible (I never said it was), but is weaker to my ears and I listened to all 4 volumes on the same equipment. My ears notice a difference. So, there you go.

xraffle

Like everything in life, everyone has their own opinion on things. If you read my review and the one from HTF, you'll notice that many of the sentiments I wrote are reiterated by their reviewer. I stand by my review. I never said that "Idiots" was unwatchable, but compared to all other titles, this one stands out like a sore thumb quality wise. I feel that it is riddled with spots and blemishes throughout the short.

As for "Crash", I do feel the audio is not on par with the previous release of that short. It's not inaudible (I never said it was), but is weaker to my ears and I listened to all 4 volumes on the same equipment. My ears notice a difference. So, there you go.

I never said you were lying. We always appreciate your review. From your reviews from the previous volumes, I know that you always speak the truth. Each person notices things more than others, so that could be the case here. Like I said, when I get my copy on Tuesday, I'll let everyone know what I think. Perhaps, a third opinion will help clear this issue up.

stooged and confused

Hey X, I never said you were lying. The other reviewer is certainly entitled to his opinion. I just don't agree with his on this matter, and he obviously doesn't agree with mine.

Offline falsealarms

Added a review from Collider for vol 4 ... while not much of a review, it does attempt to generate some discussion with quotes like:

"If the Three Stooges were the Beatles, then this set would be their “Sgt. Pepper”. This set reflects Larry, Moe and Curly at their creative peak, and it shows."

Do people here buy that - that 1943-1945 is the Stooges' "creative peak" ?

stooged and confused

I certainly don't! Add that to the error in her mentioning Larry as the world's worst cross dresser in "They Stooge To Conga". I believe she was referring to the short "Higher Than A Kite."

xraffle

I wonder if DVD Beaver plans on writing a review. I always love their screenshots.

Offline falsealarms

I wonder if DVD Beaver plans on writing a review. I always love their screenshots.

From the guy who runs DVD Beaver: "You know I’d love to, but I’m just swamped with other stuff to cover right now. Maybe when things slow down – I’ve only watched a few shorts on it so far – and it seems as good as the previous ones."

DVD Talk is supposedly getting a review up soon. A different reviewer this time as the usual one is on vacation.

I hope you do another one of your reviews comparing quality.

xraffle

From the guy who runs DVD Beaver: "You know I’d love to, but I’m just swamped with other stuff to cover right now. Maybe when things slow down – I’ve only watched a few shorts on it so far – and it seems as good as the previous ones."

DVD Talk is supposedly getting a review up soon. A different reviewer this time as the usual one is on vacation.

I hope you do another one of your reviews comparing quality.

What "other stuff" could possibly be more important than the stooges? ;D

Only joking! Since DVD Beaver isn't going to review this DVD, I may decide to write one up this time.

Offline falsealarms

Updated reviews to include a detailed one from DVD Talk - check out the pic of Micro Phonies in the review.

Also of note from the review:

"In the opening short, They Stooge to Conga, there's a few frames missing from a bit where Moe hits Curly in the mouth with a hammer. Dizzy Detectives looked a little rough in spots, as far as excessive grain (all the shorts, to one degree or another, have noticeable grain). And very curiously, Back From the Front and Higher Than a Kite have what I can only assume are compression issues where some of the blacks go green (in Higher just in one brief shot, but in Back for several long ones onboard the ship). This didn't occur with any of the other shorts, which look for the most part, quite good, with super-sharp pictures, good gray scales, and an agreeably bright image."

He's probably paying more attention to detail than I am. I didn't notice some of those things, such as the compression issues, but I'll go with him.

However, I do agree that DIZZY looked worse than anticipated - but by no means "bad" and still acceptable. But, from the handful or so that I've watched, things do look good. Micro Phonies looks better than ever. Three Little Twirps looked great - that stood out.

Will be interesting to see some comparison shots.

xraffle

Updated reviews to include a detailed one from DVD Talk - check out the pic of Micro Phonies in the review.

Also of note from the review:

"In the opening short, They Stooge to Conga, there's a few frames missing from a bit where Moe hits Curly in the mouth with a hammer. Dizzy Detectives looked a little rough in spots, as far as excessive grain (all the shorts, to one degree or another, have noticeable grain). And very curiously, Back From the Front and Higher Than a Kite have what I can only assume are compression issues where some of the blacks go green (in Higher just in one brief shot, but in Back for several long ones onboard the ship). This didn't occur with any of the other shorts, which look for the most part, quite good, with super-sharp pictures, good gray scales, and an agreeably bright image."

He's probably paying more attention to detail than I am. I didn't notice some of those things, such as the compression issues, but I'll go with him.

However, I do agree that DIZZY looked worse than anticipated - but by no means "bad" and still acceptable. But, from the handful or so that I've watched, things do look good. Micro Phonies looks better than ever. Three Little Twirps looked great - that stood out.

Will be interesting to see some comparison shots.

:o Whoa! They have a screenshot of "Micro-Phonies." It looks GREAT!!! I can't wait to get this set.

BTW- That frame in Conga was always missing. So, it's not Sony's fault.

Offline falsealarms

I was impressed by that guy's entire review - it's the best one I've seen for vol 4 so far.

xraffle

DVD Verdict review added.

Not a bad review. I agree with him on "Idiots Deluxe." It looks exactly like the one on the older DVD release. It seems like Sony did forget to clean that up.

Offline Justin T

Not a bad review. I agree with him on "Idiots Deluxe." It looks exactly like the one on the older DVD release. It seems like Sony did forget to clean that up.

Yeah, good review from DVD Verdict there. Hmm, either they somehow forget to do Idiots or thats as best tehy can make it. I'd have to
bet money on the former, if I was a betting man.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"