Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Get your Stooge DVD/Blu Ray reviews here!

Offline paulsilence

Head's up: Sony's Ultimate Collection is on sale right now on Amazon for $29.99.  I just bought my own set yesterday!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Three-Stooges-Ultimate-Collection/dp/B006WN5W5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386445934&sr=8-1&keywords=three+stooges+collection
My father died dancing... at the end of a rope!

Offline The Valeyard

Didn't know where to put this but I bought the Ultimate Collection at Best Buy on Friday for $29.99.  Great price for so many DVDs!  As I dug into the box, I noticed something interesting with Vol. 7.

The 3D Shorts are no longer present. 

I wanted to test the 3D right away so that was the first box I opened up.  I immediately noticed that the 3D glasses were missing.  I figured they must have forgotten them or something.  So I put the DVD into the player and waited for it to boot up.  I was sad to discover that there is no 3D option for "Spooks" or "Pardon My Backfire." Just the 2D versions.  I looked on the packaging of the Ultimate Collection and Vol. 7 and there is no mention of 3D at all.

Comparing the wording on the back of my Vol. 7 box to one posted on DVD Empire, they omit any mention of the 3D Shorts on my version.  It looks like Sony made a second printing that leaves off the 3D.

I'm an extremely disappointed by this as I now have to track down the original release to get the shorts and 3D glasses.  Is there someone at Sony Home Entertainment I could email about this?  Not much they can do as they removed any mention of 3D so it's not bait and switch but I'd like to at least voice my disappointment.

Thank you and beware.

ThumpTheShoes

...The 3D Shorts are no longer present. 

I'm an extremely disappointed by this as I now have to track down the original release to get the shorts and 3D glasses.  Is there someone at Sony Home Entertainment I could email about this?  Not much they can do as they removed any mention of 3D so it's not bait and switch but I'd like to at least voice my disappointment.

Thank you and beware.

Hmmm.... Could be for the best, the3d ain't that good! Since changes are being made to the discs, I guess there's no chance they've fixed some of the minor glitches in other sets along the way? Picture glitch in Pain in the Pullman, "Give/glasses" audio glitch from Horses' Collars, speed the audio back up at the end of Hot Scots (the sped up fighting bit)?

Have you checked the files on the dvd to see if the 3d shorts are still there, just not accessible thru the menu? If you check, what's the date on the vob files?

Offline Larrys#1

Didn't know where to put this but I bought the Ultimate Collection at Best Buy on Friday for $29.99.  Great price for so many DVDs!  As I dug into the box, I noticed something interesting with Vol. 7.

The 3D Shorts are no longer present. 

I wanted to test the 3D right away so that was the first box I opened up.  I immediately noticed that the 3D glasses were missing.  I figured they must have forgotten them or something.  So I put the DVD into the player and waited for it to boot up.  I was sad to discover that there is no 3D option for "Spooks" or "Pardon My Backfire." Just the 2D versions.  I looked on the packaging of the Ultimate Collection and Vol. 7 and there is no mention of 3D at all.

Comparing the wording on the back of my Vol. 7 box to one posted on DVD Empire, they omit any mention of the 3D Shorts on my version.  It looks like Sony made a second printing that leaves off the 3D.

Thank you and beware.

Does it say "2D + 3D" next to those two episodes on the back cover?

Another thing.... if Sony changed the DVD and omitted the 3D versions, I wonder if cropping issue has been fixed on GOOF ON THE ROOF?

ThumpTheShoes

Another thing.... if Sony changed the DVD and omitted the 3D versions, I wonder if cropping issue has been fixed on GOOF ON THE ROOF?

Oh, yeah! I forgot about that! Wouldn't that be nice, huh?

Offline The Valeyard

Have you checked the files on the dvd to see if the 3d shorts are still there, just not accessible thru the menu? If you check, what's the date on the vob files?

I have not.  I'm always leary of putting a DVD into my laptop.  I'm afraid I'll scratch it.

Does it say "2D + 3D" next to those two episodes on the back cover?

Nope.  No mention of 3D at all anywhere on the Vol. 7 packaging. 

I can take a peek.  What am I looking for exactly?

ThumpTheShoes

I can take a peek.  What am I looking for exactly?

See if it is presented full-screen 4x3 ratio or widescreen 16x9. The widescreen version cut off a little too much as you can see:

This could be fixed by re-matting the image for more headroom or just opening up the full frame like the older shorts.

Offline The Valeyard

See if it is presented full-screen 4x3 ratio or widescreen 16x9. The widescreen version cut off a little too much as you can see:

This could be fixed by re-matting the image for more headroom or just opening up the full frame like the older shorts.

Okay.  I'll take a gander when I get home tonight.

Offline Larrys#1

Okay.  I'll take a gander when I get home tonight.

Thanks. If this problem was fixed, I would be happy to buy this again...

Offline The Valeyard

Sorry for the delay.  I just popped in the DVD and can confirm that a) the Short is widescreen (16x9) and b) it looks exactly like the picture above. Cropped a bit too much.

Onto finding an original copy now.  Thanks for all the help.

Offline Tony Bensley

Three Stooges Collection - Complete Set 1934-1959 DVD (17 Discs) Sony

Upon checking Amazon Reviews for Sony's recently reissued compact 17 DVD set (Sans the 2 Three Stooges Features, and 28 solo shorts!), I was mortified to discover Amazon tethered it to the 2014 Three Stooges 6 Movie Collection 2 DVD set by Millcreek!  I mean, ARE YOU BLOODY KIDDING ME, AMAZON?!!?

As I've been unable to unearth any actual reviews, here's the Amazon link for what it's worth: https://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Collection-1934-1959/dp/B01JZKX7P0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

SHEESH!!!!  [pie]